DB&A

DB&A Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

DB&A President & CEO Michael Owens

Michael Owens

Pros
  • Travel Points, Have a girl in every city your working in, Not much more(in 7 reviews)

• Learn a lot about structured methods to coach and influence people(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Travel and work/life balance (due to travel)(in 6 reviews)

• Then right before I quit, the project manager told me I was going to cover the overnight shifts for at 6 weeks(in 7 reviews)

Excellent consulting school

Management Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsYou will learn the basis about management consulting, and you will be exposed to many different industries.

ConsWork life balance is horrible. Sometimes youwill have loooooong days like 16 hour of work. Depending of the PM and chief, the environment is tough and hostile

Advice to Senior ManagementYou still need to improve the quality of the top management. The culture change from top to bottom.

DB&A Market Analyst Position

Senior Market Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCompany demands performance, encourages creativity, rewards & values those that can perform on a consistent basis. After 4 successful years of employment by DB&A I still find the job enjoyable, challenging and rewarding. Management is open in regard to suggestions relative to how the Market Analyst position can be improved from both the compensation and job content point of view.

ConsGiven the high turn over rate of employees in all businesses you must research companies on a daily basis to maintain a fresh list of qualified contacts to call in an effort to schedule meetings. The job appears to be much easier on the surface than it is in reality and you must be committed to making 70 to 90 calls per day and you must be able to deal with the rejection that all sales people encounter in their daily activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to maintain an open door policy. Continue to encourage open dialog.

AVOID

Senior Market Analyst (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsBase salary is 39,000 plus overtime and bonuses

ConsNo growth, bad leads, unrealistic goals, management only speaks in a theoretical environment not reality of the business. Inconsistent performance office wide, metrics are not accurate, no real tools for success. Do not value their employees. You will only bonus a couple of times out of the year if you are lucky. Leads are over 5 and 10 years old. Waste of time here!

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you sell. Get with the times and technology.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Diversity in the Higher Ranks

Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe travel can be exciting, at first, but then gets old. DBA provides a good foundation on which to grow upon and further your skill sets. Pay is decent, but still below the industry standard. Some senior staff know their stuff and are great to learn from.

ConsThe training modules was a bad call! The PM's that are supposed to train new employees, do not. Performance reviews are subjective. The weekend is on Saturday...that is it!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO vision is spot on, however, you do not have all the players to help you grow the organization into the desired $100 million global organization! Good luck!

Good People and Great Exposure.

Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsYou have a variety of work and you will change companies and people you come into contact with.
    A very feedback driven and open environment. Your ideas and comments are encouraged.
    The people you work with are amazing and come from different industries, therefore it is a a wonderful mix of knowledge.
    You will have support from your team, project manager, and leadership to make the greatest impact.

ConsTravel is part of the job, but it is a lifestyle. I becomes part of your routine. You do have to think about how to work doctor's appointments around the travel or be okay with seeing a dentist wherever you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Interesting challenge, but not for everyone!

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsYou will have exposure to various kinds of industries and people. Earn plenty of reward points (airlines, hotels, rental cars). Learn a lot about structured methods to coach and influence people. You learn about the interesting and very structured business model giving you a good understanding of one way how to achieve continuous improvement in a business. The people I worked with (co-workers, PM's, Chiefs) were supportive and receptive to other opinions. I was impressed by the personality and energy of CEO Mike Owens. The company made good progress in and continues transforming to a more employee focused and friendlier culture.

ConsThis job is NOT for you if:
    - you require detailed instructions to accomplish your work.
    - you like to postpone things, hate working "after work" in the hotel or writing reports.
    - you like to spend a lot of time with your kids and/or your spouse.
    - you do not like coaching and influencing people of various backgrounds most of your time.
    - you cannot handle direct, open critic or time pressure.
    - leaving home Sunday afternoon and returning Friday afternoon sounds like horror to you.
    The business model introduced to clients is sound but at the same time a pretty tight corset that will not work equally long-term for all industries/areas/client employees. In spite of the claims it does.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough a structured and somewhat standard Management Operating System (MOS) is introduced to clients, many different versions of "standard" tools are used. This should be corrected.
    On Analysis a more focused support and feedback for new employees should improve them to become more useful for the company and faster.

I enjoy working here.

Consultant (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

Pros-Helping companies and people
    -Seeing the countryside
    -Working with smart and engaging people
    -Growing company, new opportunities
    -You are a person, not a number
    -Keep your travel points

Cons-Long hours and travel can be tricky especially in the winter months

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great Opportunity for the Right Person

Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat environment for overachievers and those looking to challenge / develop themselves. Excellent opportunity for exposure to various industries and business cultures. You will learn more here in one year as a consultant than you will in 4 years of business school. Two different career paths, one towards management, the other as a career consultant.

ConsTravel and work/life balance (due to travel)

Advice to Senior ManagementDisregard "noise" by one or two disgruntled ex employees who post here as current employees. Keep up the improvements.

Hard work, but rewarding.

Consultant (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsEveryone I have worked with has been professional and helpful. I am just in my first year and this is my second project but I feel supported and happy. I like that I can make my own way because everything is based on my performance.

ConsI was told about the travel, the travel was explained. I think it's a mindset, but it is Sunday through Friday afternoon. It's definately a commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI like the changes, keep going.

Churn and Burn

Market Analyst (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSome of the people there were nice.

ConsVery little in the way of training. Had to learn everything in 2 days. That is including HR and benefits. They push and micro manage to the detriment of their employees. Turnstyle approach to new Market analysts coming in. You are assigned to a regional VP and pray to GOD you get the right one. New analysts do the research for the tenured employees to have success.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training, When you lay a foundation make sure its SOLID not bs. They really dont give a crap about their employees only on numbers. Sad for a company to come and give advice to other companies about make changes with their people when they cant keep their own house in order.

Worked for DB&A? Contribute to the Community!