DB&A

DB&A Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

DB&A President & CEO Michael Owens

Michael Owens

Pros
  • Travel Points, Have a girl in every city your working in, Not much more(in 7 reviews)

• Learn a lot about structured methods to coach and influence people(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Travel and work/life balance (due to travel)(in 6 reviews)

• Then right before I quit, the project manager told me I was going to cover the overnight shifts for at 6 weeks(in 7 reviews)

Great Opportunity for the Right Person

Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat environment for overachievers and those looking to challenge / develop themselves. Excellent opportunity for exposure to various industries and business cultures. You will learn more here in one year as a consultant than you will in 4 years of business school. Two different career paths, one towards management, the other as a career consultant.

ConsTravel and work/life balance (due to travel)

Advice to Senior ManagementDisregard "noise" by one or two disgruntled ex employees who post here as current employees. Keep up the improvements.

Hard work, but rewarding.

Consultant (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsEveryone I have worked with has been professional and helpful. I am just in my first year and this is my second project but I feel supported and happy. I like that I can make my own way because everything is based on my performance.

ConsI was told about the travel, the travel was explained. I think it's a mindset, but it is Sunday through Friday afternoon. It's definately a commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI like the changes, keep going.

Work hard, live the results.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

Pros-Client change
    -Keep your travel points (Hotels, airfare, and rental cars)
    -Challenging environments
    -The people
    -The CEO
    -The training
    -Feedback and professional growth

Cons-Time spent away from home, but this is clearly explained and talked about.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the change, we want more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Take it from a newly hired professional.

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI read the reviews before I started and I can say I was concerned, but I can tell you this company is serious about what they do. I get tons of exposure and opportunities to learn. My project manager is very supportive. My teammates are helpful and make the enviornment worth returning to week after week. I was impressed by the CEO visiting us on our first week, it is rare to have candid and personal conversations with someone who runs the company.

ConsThis is consulting, the company is honest about the needs of the position. I was told you will travel Sunday night through Friday, that's just the job. It's a challenge, but I love it. You need to be a go getter, this job requires energy and a sense of urgency. You also have to confront managers about their behaviors, that can be difficult. The con would be your attitude, this job is what you make of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the changes going....I feel the support and the training modules are helpful. I like that people care about me. The staff at corporate and the management team are always making sure I have ewhat I need and that feels good. I know the changes are happening fast because the people who have been here for a while tell a different story about the "old DB&A". I have not seen anything that would make me cringe or feel uncomfortable. In fact so much has been done to make me feel at home; I don't see anything but a great future here.

The company is evolving and growing, you should come join us!

(Current Employee)

Pros- You work hard on the projects that's no lie, sometimes 12 hour days. But, unlike most corporate jobs when you are off on the weekends you are off. What I mean is no checking your iphone for missed emails you have to respond to or being called into work for an "emergency".
    -You get to see different industries and change co-workers and managers about every 6 months, at what job can you do that?
    -You get to learn daily on the job, so if you like learning it's a pretty awesome job.
    -If you love training, you will love this job, that's what we do. We train managers to be better and help them achieve measurable results. That's exciting.
    -Beach time- this is time between projects that you get paid to be at home. Sure you are on call, but sometimes this can be for several weeks. That's a good perk and is not considered part of your 2 weeks vacation, also did I mention you get a week off between Christmas and New Year's?(that's also paid)
    -If you are single the company fully pays for your medical and dental, that's a good deal.
    -You keep your travel points and well you also can get your own credit card dedicated to whatever type of travel point accrual you want, no corporate card. That's a great benefit.

ConsThink about the travel aspect, this is a lifestyle. I see the comments about travel, but travel is part of the job and that is clearly communicated throughout the interview process and beyond. My advice is check with your support system, make sure they understand what you are getting into, what that means for them. I have seen many consultants fail because of this very reason, so take your time and think about what it would be like being away from your family for five days. Also, keep in mind sometimes there can be travel delays, so you might not get 48 hours every weekend at home, but that's more of the exception, not the rule.

Advice to Senior ManagementHey listen, DB&A isn't perfect but they are honest and they are correcting past issues. These things take time and don't happen over night. The company really does care about their employees, maybe that wasn't how it "used to be", but that is the way it is now. Our CEO, Michael Owens, is very hands on and he is leading us to a better DB&A!

Great company to work for that rewards based on your development

Project Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsYou will gain experience in a wide range of industries working with clients ranging from front line Supervisors all the way up to the C Suite. Emphasis is placed on developing your consulting skills and have not met anyone now willing to help. Company leadership is aligned with the consistent goal of delivering high value to clients. Great teamwork on projects helps develop new employees at rapid pace.

ConsYou must be willing and able to travel for 50 weeks per year leaving on Sundays and coming home on Fridays. The company is committed to providing at least 48 hours at home on weekends and you must be comfortable with this lifestyle.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with current Consultant development process.

Nothing but stellar

Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFrom the orientation at home office to the teams at two projects, I have gained important knowledge and am learning our tools and methodology from their collective experiences. Also, it has been made very clear to me, both through individual communication and our recent annual meeting, that I am an important member of the DBA Family.

ConsIf you don't like to travel, have constant interaction with people or work well in a team environment, this may not be for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe teams I have worked on thus far have been both knowledgeable and helpful in my continued personal growth.

Best Company Out There

Project Manager (Current Employee)

Pros1. Esprit d Corps
    2. Training
    3. Exposure
    4. Ability to Move Up

Cons1. If you are not fast paced, or motivated...do not apply

Excellent consulting school

Management Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsYou will learn the basis about management consulting, and you will be exposed to many different industries.

ConsWork life balance is horrible. Sometimes youwill have loooooong days like 16 hour of work. Depending of the PM and chief, the environment is tough and hostile

Advice to Senior ManagementYou still need to improve the quality of the top management. The culture change from top to bottom.

DB&A Market Analyst Position

Senior Market Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCompany demands performance, encourages creativity, rewards & values those that can perform on a consistent basis. After 4 successful years of employment by DB&A I still find the job enjoyable, challenging and rewarding. Management is open in regard to suggestions relative to how the Market Analyst position can be improved from both the compensation and job content point of view.

ConsGiven the high turn over rate of employees in all businesses you must research companies on a daily basis to maintain a fresh list of qualified contacts to call in an effort to schedule meetings. The job appears to be much easier on the surface than it is in reality and you must be committed to making 70 to 90 calls per day and you must be able to deal with the rejection that all sales people encounter in their daily activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to maintain an open door policy. Continue to encourage open dialog.

Worked for DB&A? Contribute to the Community!