DCH Health System

Great culture
    The food
    Excellent training
    Willingness to help
    Can relocate to another dept after a year
    Beautiful women

ConsToo much cafeteria food and get fat
    Scheduling can sometimes suck
    Holiday working
    Not too many cons, DCH is a great place to work

Was A good place work

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) Carrollton, AL

ProsShort travel time Close to my home

ConsNo good benefits, many changes goin on

Maybe it's Industry-wide for Healthcare.... (RN point of view)

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Tuscaloosa, AL

Pros- There is generally plenty of job openings, and the interviews (which were brief and generally consisted of few basic questions then right into what the job had to offer me) all led to offers
    - The insurance, from what I've gathered, is competitive
    - Love my co-workers, for the most part
    - Clean environment

Cons- Received my first raise in over 2 years, came out to about 1.7% of base, at this rate I get up to $20/hr base by the time I have around 10 years experience
    - All floors and departments seem to have total different rules and expectations, depending on their managers goals I assume which leads to....
    - HR policies are "adapted" as each unit "sees fit," almost always to the disadvantage of the employee - our manager never counted "tardies" until somebody would attempt to transfer, then she'd bring them up as a way to hold you or block your move (luckily, I'm never late, but some who are/were habitually late had a problem when new rules are implemented - is it really a rule if it's never enforced?)
    - Responsibilities and job expectations are constantly increasing - and it seems questionable that it could be for the "patient's best interest" - how can taking on more patients with less help and more work required for each be safe? They don't want people at the nurse's desk rather in patient's rooms, yet doctor's expect the phone to be answered and the nurse to be available right away. I could go on forever on this part...

Advice to Senior ManagementBut instead I'll just ask that the people up the chain come float around on some of the floors and see what these changes look like in action - not on paper. It doesn't take an accountant or financial wize to come to the conclusion that "if we get the same work out of fewer employees, we'll save money"; the thing you forget is that the "work" here involves people's lives and the employees' licenses.

How do expect patient satisfaction to be ok when we are having to leave folks on bedpans for 10+ minutes after asking for help up or another patient waiting on pain medicine when the few nurses on the floor are stuck in a room with a bigger problem going on. Not everything is solved by making the seemingly hard decision of cutting experienced nurse's pay and then requiring more work.

Also, manager's should be evaluated more than just on how they do on their budget. I realize, and I'm sure whoever reads this review has come to this conclusion as well, that everything is driven here based on budget now, but maybe interview the employees they manage to get a sense on how they feel they are being managed. It is amazing, floating between the floors, the differences between the same type floor.

Town-hall meetings are nice fluff pieces, kind of like the raise, but actually talk to your employees instead of group them together to "tell them how it is".

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Burn and Churn

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Tuscaloosa, AL

Pros- Having insurance
    - Close relationships formed while working in the trenches
    - Using PTO

Cons- No raise in several years
    - Excessive micromanaging
    - Responsibilities and expectations constantly increasing with only negative consequences spotlighted and no compensation.

Advice to Senior Management- Make it a priority to retain experienced nurses instead of hiring a lot of new grads and dispensing of them after 2 years.
    - Pay current employees for their number of years worked just as you would a new hire with the same number of years of experience

Mid-level management

Director (Current Employee) Tuscaloosa, AL

ProsFamily values are a plus

ConsNo comment, generally a positive environment

Great place to work if you want to stay in town

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

ProsUp to date technology, people were great to work with

ConsOnly hospital in town, not enough communication with employees

Worked for DCH Health System? Contribute to the Community!