DCI Group Reviews

3.5

Doug Goodyear

Very professional, great people

I worked at DCI Group full-time

Pros

Employees are some of the best and brightest

Cons

Issue areas and tactics are a bit questionable

DCI Group

Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DCI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced dynamic work environment when busy, boring as can be when not.
    Smart, energetic people
    Caring Culture

Cons

"Mysterious" Organizational Structure -- various shadow companies.
    Highly politicized atmosphere, but its the business of politics

One of the best public relations firms to work for in the Washington DC area.

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at DCI Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The team approach to meeting client needs provides opportunities for energetic, motivated and creative thinkers to quickly receive recognition and promotion in this lean organization that thrives on those who think outside the box.

Cons

DCI Group is a lean organization with an extensive third party network that extends nationwide and globally. Those on the team must stay on top of their game. There is always someone waiting to get in.

Former employee loyalty to DCI Group remains one of the company's greatest assets. Though competition and the need for continuous production for the client is high, DCI Group maintains a separation policy that retains the dignity of the employee, honors their service, and provides a place for the former employee to redirect their energies as they leave.

Review from a former intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at DCI Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people; large office right in the center of Washington, DC; big-name and well-known clients; opportunity to grow; regularly open positions for entry level and seasoned professionals

Cons

People can be closed rather than friendly; not the main firm for most clients so accounts hold less weight; very distinct political beliefs; good place to use as a stepping stone but turnover can be high

Great company with a lot of opportunity

I have been working at DCI Group

Pros

DCI is a great company with a fast paced and dynamic work environment. The job is really what you make it. If you show you are willing to work and able to get results, you will be given the challenges you need to grow and develop. The company is also very team oriented. Everyone works together to serve the client.

Cons

Can be long hours but it's worth it when you get the results for your client.

Miserable Place

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at DCI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people are nice.

Cons

1) The hours are long and the pay is low. 2) Management could not care less about what their employees think or what they have to say. 3) They staff up and then lay people off every year or so. 4) There is no communication between teams.

Don't hire people so often if you are going to turn around and lay them off. Also, communicate with and listen to your employees.

Good but company needs to invest in Ground worker.

Former Employee - Web Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at DCI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good culture and work ethics.

Cons

Compensation was not good enough.

Please look into the compensation of the people who are working hard.

One of the best experiences you'll find in DC!

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at DCI Group

Pros

It is what you make it, but you'll learn a lot if you take the time. Time management is huge - a lot of daily and weekly projects are expected without reminders from anyone. Great team environment, even for interns. Little hierarchy among staff unless there needs to be, but pretty laid back and team-oriented overall. Interns can be given a lot of responsibility and you're trusted with preparing client-ready work. The people are great and have very diverse backgrounds and know a lot of people they can be willing to introduce you too if you make a good impression - great for networking! Very accessible and open to interns as far as networking with even the VPs and partners. Great location. I'd recommend it to anyone. Internships are paid which is hard to find in DC.

Cons

Some of the other teams/intern managers had different approaches to the intern program and how you may be treated so your experience could be different. Those teams could use some work, but I have no complaints about my experience.

Review for DCI Communications

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at DCI Group

Pros

the best reasons to work at DCI is to make connections with NGOs and federal clients, to build your reputation and prof. network in the DC area, and to get your feet wet in PR politics and some strategic communications.

Cons

the hours are very long and you're not allowed to work from home, telecommute or leave the office unless you have permission. You're working on the clock & your presence is more important than what you produce. CEO is a micromanager and overly involved in daily business.

give employees extra vacation time, more flexible schedules and have more faith in your employees. Try to micromanage less and stop looking over everyone's shoulder. This creates an uncomfortable work atmosphere.

Good experience, balanced mix of work.

Former Employee - Paid Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Paid Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at DCI Group

Pros

DCI Group gave me a great idea of what working for a large republican P.R. firm was like. I got to do a little bit of everything from writing and research to outreach. I felt like I learned a good deal about the issues I was covering and got a decent amount of feedback from the account managers.

Cons

At times it was very busy and at times I felt like I had nothing to do, these did coincide with congress being in session but I also had the impression that it was due to not having one direct manager which led to getting lost in the mix.

I would assign a specific mentor to each intern from one of the account teams they are working on. I think this would allow the intern to feel much more comfortable asking important questions.