DCS Corp Reviews

3.5
James T Wood

Great

I have been working at DCS Corp full-time

Pros

The company culture is good.

Cons

The general concern with the employees is around worklife balance

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing

2. stay away from dcs onsite babysitters

Former Employee - Scientist III in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Scientist III in Warren, MI

I worked at DCS Corp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do pay on time.

Cons

There is no overtime; you are being watched by a dcs overseer who controls your destiny closely linked to any comments from their customer. You can be as professional, courteous and engineering tactfully correct but if your dcs overseer gets any comments that your work is not what they expect you will be fired. DCS will not go to bat for you. They are only interested in keeping their customer happy. So keep the customer happy at all costs and get a real job.

Advice to Management

Grow up - if your hire experts then stand behind them at least a little. Hope this review helps.

Enjoyed my experience at DCS/TARDEC

I worked at DCS Corp full-time

Pros

Good experience, will always be greatful for being given a chance.

Cons

No Cons, would have loved to stayed, but contract ended at AD from company that I was sent to did not want to resign. Nothing against DCS, they tried their best to keep me.

Fine

Current Employee - Software Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Software Intern in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at DCS Corp

Pros

It's a very relaxed, easy job. The pay and the area is nice. There are plenty of opportunities for switching projects.

Cons

The work is usually pretty boring and more of a retirement job rather than an option of a young student.

6. Internship Experience

Current Employee - Intern in Ridgecrest, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Ridgecrest, CA

I have been working at DCS Corp

Pros

Working with military aircraft, lots of testing and lab work for engineers.

Cons

Management, Government policies impede true engineering progress from being made.

Advice to Management

Allow only qualified people (ie. engineers and scientists) be in charge of products. Unqualified people with no technical background should not be delegated for engineering tasks, period.

7. Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Contracts Administrator in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Contracts Administrator in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at DCS Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DCS Corporation creates innovative technology solutions for our customers and seeks to develop successful working relationships to ensure that we meet our customers’ expectations and get the job done right. The value that we place on ensuring customer satisfaction is based on our strong corporate culture of empowerment, innovation, responsiveness, and professional excellence. The transformative ideas and entrepreneurial spirit that characterize our nearly 1,000 employee-owners allow DCS to ensure success of each client’s mission and actively contribute to the well being of the Nation.

Cons

DCS Corporation allows you to take control of your career by harnessing the potential of your ideas and expertise, allowing you to grow professionally and reach new possibilities. In accepting a career with us, you become part of a team of enthusiastic and responsive employees who truly shape the future of DCS Corp. Our employees experience the freedom to work directly with our customers in support of a diverse blend of platforms and competencies.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat everyone as they deserve to be treated.

8. Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at DCS Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture from management down to individual employees.

Cons

Opportunities for growth of experience and variety of work can be improved.

Advice to Management

Don't lose focus on the value of organic growth.

Lack of personnel accountability and rewards

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Technician in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Technician in Warren, MI

I worked at DCS Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1.) The TA benefits are excellent. Will pay 100% of your tuition up to $5,000 for an undergrad or $7,500 for a grad degree. Best that I have seen so far.
    2.) Good work/life balance. The best I have seen thus far.

3.) Well entrenched with government customer, steady work, can be a long term thing if you keep head low and tow the line.

4.) ESOP is a nice thing to have on top of a 401k. You can get the most out of if you are looking at retiring in the next 6 years.
    5.) 401k: Their plan is excellent, well managed. The company fronts 2% of your salary a month to it, without actually taking anything out of your pay. And on top of that you can contribute more, matching up to 6%.

Cons

1.) Management is typically very hands-off, to a point that it is actually a bad thing, allows delinquent behavior and gossip to fester amongst the employees. Doesn't address personnel issues directly, but defers that effort to the delinquent person's coworkers.

2.) Same thing all the time.The work could get old fast. Not a lot of room for a new topic.

3.) BIP: Bonus Incentive Program: Is awarded to employees based more on their political achievements more than their technical achievements.

4.) Corporate stinginess: The company made a record breaking profit one year, from $100 million a year to $180 million a year. All of us that were involved on the contract that helped secure such a large profit margin for the company thought that we were going to be rewarded for our hard work that year with decent sized salary raises. However, when salary increase time came we were given the lowest increase in a five year period!

5.) Salary increases: Ok, more on this one. The salary increases are across the board. Even though a performance evaluation is done every year, that does little to factor into the final outcome of a given employee's salary increase. So that even if one were to excel and get "Exceeds Expectations" on their performance review, that one would receive the same rate increase as the person in the same role that did the bare minimum every day. Even between different job roles: Technicians, Engineers, or Administrative personnel, the same rate is given, regardless of position or function. Basically doing a good job doesn't pay off in the end. Also, there is no room for negotiation. It is take it or go find a different, higher paying job.

6.) Health insurance: Is way too expensive. The company covers 75% of the premium cost, while the employee is responsible for 25% a month. But that 25% is almost $500 a month! That's more than my house payment! I currently have a Blue Cross/ Blue Shield PPO that is only $180 a month and covers more services and has a wider physician network.

Advice to Management

Get involved! Know what your people are actually doing. Care what your customer actually thinks and if they are truly satisfied with your service and people instead of assuming everything is ok. IF SOMEONE IN YOUR ORGANIZATION IS A DETERMENT TO PRODUCTIVITY AND A HEALTHY WORK ENVIRONMENT ADDRESS IT AND FIX IT IMMEDIATELY!!! Don't just let that person's coworkers be left holding the bag of that person's belligerent behavior. Also, don't take all the gravy for yourself, let some of that trickle down to your individual contributors as well. Remember, they are the ones that are actually doing all the work that is securing your record breaking profit margin for you. Treat your good people better, reward them more tangibly, and they will stick around.

Family Oriented Company

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Lexington Park, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Lexington Park, MD

I have been working at DCS Corp full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great to include ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) at no cost to employees, 401K matching 3%, health and welfare benefits are standard, continuing education benefits and 529 College saving plan are also good. Career planning and employee resources are great, to include corporate subscriptions to EBSCO, Safari Books Online, Lynda.com and many professional associations. Family oriented company in which they try keep their employees through "tough times".

Cons

Too many managers for the amount of employees. Top management is unable to make decision without the consent of all management which creates a bottleneck. Leadership has a tough time in dealing with problems areas, such as cutting their losses while they can, instead they "hope" situation might improve or problem may go away. Leadership forgives easily and doesn't hold most employees accountable for their mistakes including their own.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their actions. It is a disservice to them and to the company. It only makes the situation worse.

Good and Bad

I have been working at DCS Corp

Pros

Talented, skilled workforce. Decent benefits (though recently have been cut and insurance rates are high).

Cons

Top heavy. Wayyyyyy too many vice presidents (+).

Advice to Management

Work on Company Culture /morale.

RSS Feed </> Embed