DDB Chicago
www.ddb.com Chicago, IL 150 to 499 Employees

DDB Chicago Reviews in Chicago, IL

DDB Chicago – US – “My Desk”

Paul Gunning

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun experience

Service Center Associate (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI enjoyed the friendly atmosphere, there were a ton of opportunities for growth and a chance to move up within the company. Work in the Loop and and stones throw away from millenium park.

ConsSome people tended to be a little pretentious. Not enough to outweigh the pros of working within the company. I would have to say that there were times when there was more work than play.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake things a little more seriously. Very laid back environment. Almost too laid back.

Upper Management about as out of touch with reality as you can imagine

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsDecent office space that has been renovated recently. Good downtown location. Pay is decent if you negotiated well as you join.

ConsWhere to start? Maybe a tell tale sign that the Head of HR, CCO and CEO all resigned within years of joining the shop. No new business wins for YEARS meaning they really don't have their act together but you wouldn't be able to tell by the way upper management ego acts. Speaking of upper management. The politics that one should have to deal with is far beyond any agency I have ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better upper management.

Great place to learn but not to advance

Account Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIncredibly smart, nice people, training is valued, accounts become family.

ConsNo room for advancement - you can be in your same position FOR YEAR.
    Creatives think they are gods and see no problem with yelling, cursing, and flat-out refusing to work on certain projects.
    When I began my search and told the recruiter how much I made, she was flabbergasted. I received a $20K bump in pay at my next job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop career paths and pay your account people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, great culture

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosfun, energetic, good people, good work

ConsHave not won any new business in 2 years

Advice to Senior Managementshare more of your vision throughout the year

Best all-around experience at a large agency available

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIt was one of the largest and best ad agencies in Chicago when I first started. By the time I left it had lost most of its large accounts and was in a downward spiral. However, the culture of DDB is one that employees (administrative, creative, management) supports each other no matter the health of the company. I couldn't have gained this time of training experience anywhere.

ConsDDB makes it difficult to try different areas at the agency. Once you are in account management, that's where they want you to stay. Also, the ability to be promoted is based on "putting your time in" as opposed to doing great work.

An Unforgettable Experience

Senior CopyWriter (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI knew when I worked at DDB that I had stepped up to the big leagues of higher creative standards, certainly within the immediate team I worked with. It pushed me to a level that I didn't know I could reach strategically and imaginatively. My CD, partner and Account people were a family within a much larger entity.

ConsThe bureaucracy, while perhaps not unique to this agency, was still an issue. The Executive CD played to his favorites, which was terrible. What's more, there are some creatives I saw that were hanging on for what seemed like forever. It was like, "Well, they did do that awesome Bud Light spot in 1987 during the Super Bowl, so we need to keep him around and admire him like a museum piece."

Advice to Senior ManagementIf creatives don't understand social media by now, you're dying by the day. I'm not saying traditional media is on its way out by any means. I'm saying focusing on that too much will cause the agency to cease to be relevant.

Great group of people to work with, amazing talent. Upper management out of touch with workers

Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat talent and great people. Some of the smartest people I have worked with. I was constantly amazed at the skills and the dedication that people put into things. I worked mostly in IT, but saw it both in IT and outside of it.

ConsUpper Management doesn't really get into the trenches. Doesn't understand the culture at the lower ranks. Within IT there is a huge culture disparity, from what IT values, versus what the rest of the company values. Low wages and benefits were consistent across the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees, reward them. Listen to ideas and support them. You have some amazing talent, and you need to be sure to keep them satisfied and motivated.

Faded Star

Creative Director (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsSome great brands and smart people. Formerly a great agency in Chicago with some brand recognition still.

ConsDeclining agency, loss of leadership. Client roster not as strong as it used to be, especially with the loss of the Budweiser account. No recent big wins.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate and support great talent. Focus on the fundamentals such as making great work and cultivating strong client relationships.

Large agency with down to earth people

Intern (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsDiverse people, creative departments, lots of new ideas, and great view from all floors:) Lots of productive and informative meetings. Many quotable moments with the agency.

ConsNot enough work for interns to do. There was a lot of down time, but when things got busy, it gets busy.

additional support needed for interns

Intern (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros1. flexible hours (people come and go as they wish)
    2. creative environment (you can show your personality - as long as it's positive for the work environment)
    3. paid internship (minimum hourly wage though)
    4. smart colleagues

Cons1. little team support for inexperienced interns
    2. programs/talks for interns get dropped easily (75% of the stated talks/programs got canceled)

Worked for DDB Chicago? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DDB Chicago reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DDB Chicago CEO Paul Gunning . All 14 reviews posted anonymously by DDB Chicago employees.