DDB Chicago Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated September 17, 2014
2.9

Paul Gunning

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Like most of Chicago advertising, it's just okay.

Current Employee - Art Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Art Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DDB Chicago as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Status quo in terms of clients, accounts, movement and mobility.

Cons

Status quo in terms of clients, accounts, movement and mobility.

Do something to shake up the agency. Other than rebuilding, that is.

Living on borrowed time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at DDB Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's a Starbucks in the Aon Center, it's connected to the pedway, and Grant Park is across the street.

Cons

Myopic leadership, lack of any type of collaboration, departmental silos, creative shackles, and clients that keep the agency in perpetual motion chasing their tails. Easily, the most castrating and thankless role I've ever had with an agency.

Clean house. Too many dinosaurs. Far too top heavy

Fun experience

Current Employee - Service Center Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Service Center Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DDB Chicago full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere, there were a ton of opportunities for growth and a chance to move up within the company. Work in the Loop and and stones throw away from millenium park.

Cons

Some people tended to be a little pretentious. Not enough to outweigh the pros of working within the company. I would have to say that there were times when there was more work than play.

Take things a little more seriously. Very laid back environment. Almost too laid back.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upper Management about as out of touch with reality as you can imagine

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at DDB Chicago full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent office space that has been renovated recently. Good downtown location. Pay is decent if you negotiated well as you join.

Cons

Where to start? Maybe a tell tale sign that the Head of HR, CCO and CEO all resigned within years of joining the shop. No new business wins for YEARS meaning they really don't have their act together but you wouldn't be able to tell by the way upper management ego acts. Speaking of upper management. The politics that one should have to deal with is far beyond any agency I have ever worked for.

Get better upper management.

Great place to learn but not to advance

Former Employee - Account Supervisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at DDB Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredibly smart, nice people, training is valued, accounts become family.

Cons

No room for advancement - you can be in your same position FOR YEAR.
    Creatives think they are gods and see no problem with yelling, cursing, and flat-out refusing to work on certain projects.
    When I began my search and told the recruiter how much I made, she was flabbergasted. I received a $20K bump in pay at my next job.

Develop career paths and pay your account people.

Great people, great culture

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DDB Chicago full-time for more than a year

Pros

fun, energetic, good people, good work

Cons

Have not won any new business in 2 years

share more of your vision throughout the year

Best all-around experience at a large agency available

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at DDB Chicago full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was one of the largest and best ad agencies in Chicago when I first started. By the time I left it had lost most of its large accounts and was in a downward spiral. However, the culture of DDB is one that employees (administrative, creative, management) supports each other no matter the health of the company. I couldn't have gained this time of training experience anywhere.

Cons

DDB makes it difficult to try different areas at the agency. Once you are in account management, that's where they want you to stay. Also, the ability to be promoted is based on "putting your time in" as opposed to doing great work.

An Unforgettable Experience

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Chicago, IL

I worked at DDB Chicago full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I knew when I worked at DDB that I had stepped up to the big leagues of higher creative standards, certainly within the immediate team I worked with. It pushed me to a level that I didn't know I could reach strategically and imaginatively. My CD, partner and Account people were a family within a much larger entity.

Cons

The bureaucracy, while perhaps not unique to this agency, was still an issue. The Executive CD played to his favorites, which was terrible. What's more, there are some creatives I saw that were hanging on for what seemed like forever. It was like, "Well, they did do that awesome Bud Light spot in 1987 during the Super Bowl, so we need to keep him around and admire him like a museum piece."

If creatives don't understand social media by now, you're dying by the day. I'm not saying traditional media is on its way out by any means. I'm saying focusing on that too much will cause the agency to cease to be relevant.

Great group of people to work with, amazing talent. Upper management out of touch with workers

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at DDB Chicago full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great talent and great people. Some of the smartest people I have worked with. I was constantly amazed at the skills and the dedication that people put into things. I worked mostly in IT, but saw it both in IT and outside of it.

Cons

Upper Management doesn't really get into the trenches. Doesn't understand the culture at the lower ranks. Within IT there is a huge culture disparity, from what IT values, versus what the rest of the company values. Low wages and benefits were consistent across the board.

Value your employees, reward them. Listen to ideas and support them. You have some amazing talent, and you need to be sure to keep them satisfied and motivated.

Faded Star

Former Employee - Creative Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at DDB Chicago full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some great brands and smart people. Formerly a great agency in Chicago with some brand recognition still.

Cons

Declining agency, loss of leadership. Client roster not as strong as it used to be, especially with the loss of the Budweiser account. No recent big wins.

Cultivate and support great talent. Focus on the fundamentals such as making great work and cultivating strong client relationships.

Worked for DDB Chicago? Contribute to the Community!