DDB New York

Updated November 7, 2014
2.9

DDB New York President and CEO Chuck Brymer
Chuck Brymer

Pros
  • there are great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

• Good opportunity for work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of enthusiasm but upper management needs to be more involved (in 10 reviews)

• AWFUL office space (unless you're on the 5th floor) - very segmented and old-school (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at DDB New York full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are great. I enjoy going to work.

Cons

Too much change. No compensation. Too much turnover.

Could be great...but there's work to do

Current Employee - Global Business Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Global Business Director in New York, NY

I have been working at DDB New York full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent people, culture of "talented and nice". Some talented shiny pennies in the mix
    Bernbach creative equity - just been resting on them for too long
    New NY CEO Chris Brown - could do the trick but time will tell
    Not that bad or any worse than the majority of agencies out there who aren't having a glory moment. It's a tough business, period.

Cons

Disconnected executive management. Where's the passion for communications guys?
    Too much dead wood; the "nice" part has resulted in apathy and medicraty.
    Lack of new business wins has been a bummer
    Lack of best in class digital/social expertise
    No CCO right now and not a lot of creative passion
    Limited career trajectory and mentoring; need better rotation programs, training and development
    Someone please fix the rug!

It used to be awesome.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DDB New York full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DDB LA used to be a great agency. While in Venice, the culture, the people, and the work produced were fantastic. The culture was one of fun and engagement. DDBers felt valued. The people were varied and interesting and engaging. They were dedicated to DDB and its leaders. The work was some of the best, with an Emmy to prove it.

Then the leaders changed and everything else did, too.

Cons

The economic downturn of the late 2000s affected all agencies, and DDB LA was not immune.

But years later when others were finding their footing again, DDB LA did not. It was a long, slow, sad decline.

It was okay.

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I worked at DDB New York full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was pretty laid back most of the time, and I liked a bunch of people there.

Cons

Worst part: impossible to get raises or promotions, though, this is not unusual for agencies.

Crunch times can get insane, and there are sometimes big breakdowns in communication.

There should be paths for upward mobility, and ways to get raises. Even just to compensate for inflation.

Fast paced, but nice smart people

I worked at DDB New York (less than an year)

Pros

I did a short contract for DDB, and it was on a tight deadline so there were many long hours. But the people I worked with were very smart and capable, and mostly women. And they seemed to be listened to and respected by the management (that I saw), which is a great thing.

Cons

Long hours, meh office decoration

Working here for many years there are opportunities if you make it happen

I worked at DDB New York full-time

Pros

The people! The size of the agency feels small but has the clients and budgets that are big enough to create great work

Cons

Lots of enthusiasm but upper management needs to be more involved. The work needs to get real verses creating fake accounts to get awards.

Management needs to celebrate the people and reward who they have verses let them go so easily because of salaries. People work hard for this company and upper management doesn't care if they leave. No incentives to stay.

Wonderful people hurt by outdated standards and practices

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at DDB New York full-time (more than an year)

Pros

DDB is full of immensely talented individuals with so much to offer. Working here, you are surrounded by people who are smart, creative, and help you grow.

Cons

The short of it: DDB does not value their employees at all. Terrible culture riddled with a penny pinching mentality.

Administration is cheap, and pinches pennies. They regularly reject reimbursements that don't fit into their strict reimbursement structure. Employees here have to fight tooth and nail for even small dollar amounts (think $4). Cab reimbursements for late work (11PM or later) are rare, and good luck trying to get them to pay for anything on a business trip outside strict parameters.

"Promotions" are given in title, but employees are made to wait months before they receive an actual salary increase. Also, be warned that if you are sent on a business trip, you are responsible for paying your own hotel fees that may take months to reimburse.

No culture, no sense of togetherness, and rife with political strife. Employees here do not feel valued, and people are leaving in droves looking for anything else.

Take some time to talk to your employees and value what they bring to such a famous company like DDB. Take some time to help your employees feel as if their work is appreciated. Work-life balance needs to be reviewed because people are overworked, tired, and sick of the culture.

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I have been working at DDB New York full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Have met some good people. Good name to work for. Benefits are pretty good. New CEO might make improvements.

Cons

No raises, even with promotions. No CCO for the last several months. High turnover in upper management. Lost some really great people this year. No mobility within company. AWFUL office space (unless you're on the 5th floor) - very segmented and old-school. No community/culture.

Give raises, get a CCO, stop letting great people leave, renovate the building, invest in your people.

lacks leadership

Former Employee - Acct in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Acct in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DDB New York full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

History of a great creative brand.

Cons

Leadership in USA has no idea. Local leadership tried hard, but had no HQ support

Get a clue that a CFO can't run a creative company

In a state of flux, but hopefully it can figure itself out and find some stability.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DDB New York full-time (more than an year)

Pros

DDB's been a great place for me to work so far...I like the brands/clients I work on, my co-workers are all very nice in general, and I really admire and respect the person who leads our account.

The office space is okay - nothing too cool or too boring. They've tried to make it more open by ripping out cubes and walls, but there are still offices around the open space that can be opened up, which is fine by me because I like having some privacy where I work. In addition to our pool and ping-pong tables, they've added an arcade unit and shuffleboard table, which is pretty cool. They do bagel Mondays and free breakfast on Fridays, and there's a free soda machine.

We do have an outdoor patio which is great to go to on a nice SF day, and they occasionally have free lunch and happy hours out there.

The hours are not that bad (compared to other agencies I've worked at), and we all have laptops to work remotely if needed. In general, there's a feeling that we're all adults and we can come and go as we please as long as the work gets done. Time off is pretty basic - vacation, personal and sick days.

Cons

Since I've been at DDB, I've just seen the place do a 180. The leadership and culture that was in place was one based on friendship, kindless, loyalty and was like a close-knit family. People were here for 10+ years.

The new leadership in place completely changed everything. For better or worse, it's still undetermined. WF was a big loss to the agency. People have been quitting in droves. The friends that I made here when I first started have all left.

New business is non-existent. And because of that, there are no raises. Which can be super frustrating when you are one of the people working on the account bringing in money, and paying for all these new people they're hiring or keeping that don't work on any specific account.

Find a way to reward the people that are working hard to bring in income. You know why people are leaving. Figure out a way to do something about it.