DDB

Be The First To
Add Photos

DDB President and CEO Chuck Brymer

Chuck Brymer

Pros
  • there are great people to work with(in 7 reviews)

• Most people were smart, nice, supported each other, and acted like adults(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management only cares about their bonus(in 8 reviews)

• A lot of work, pretty short deadlines(in 3 reviews)

In a state of flux, but hopefully it can figure itself out and find some stability.

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsDDB's been a great place for me to work so far...I like the brands/clients I work on, my co-workers are all very nice in general, and I really admire and respect the person who leads our account.

The office space is okay - nothing too cool or too boring. They've tried to make it more open by ripping out cubes and walls, but there are still offices around the open space that can be opened up, which is fine by me because I like having some privacy where I work. In addition to our pool and ping-pong tables, they've added an arcade unit and shuffleboard table, which is pretty cool. They do bagel Mondays and free breakfast on Fridays, and there's a free soda machine.

We do have an outdoor patio which is great to go to on a nice SF day, and they occasionally have free lunch and happy hours out there.

The hours are not that bad (compared to other agencies I've worked at), and we all have laptops to work remotely if needed. In general, there's a feeling that we're all adults and we can come and go as we please as long as the work gets done. Time off is pretty basic - vacation, personal and sick days.

ConsSince I've been at DDB, I've just seen the place do a 180. The leadership and culture that was in place was one based on friendship, kindless, loyalty and was like a close-knit family. People were here for 10+ years.

The new leadership in place completely changed everything. For better or worse, it's still undetermined. WF was a big loss to the agency. People have been quitting in droves. The friends that I made here when I first started have all left.

New business is non-existent. And because of that, there are no raises. Which can be super frustrating when you are one of the people working on the account bringing in money, and paying for all these new people they're hiring or keeping that don't work on any specific account.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to reward the people that are working hard to bring in income. You know why people are leaving. Figure out a way to do something about it.

lacks leadership

Acct (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsHistory of a great creative brand.

ConsLeadership in USA has no idea. Local leadership tried hard, but had no HQ support

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue that a CFO can't run a creative company

The experience was one of great reward and compensation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthere are great people to work with

Consthere is really nothing negative one can say

Advice to Senior Managementthere is really nothing negative one can say

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Growth, No Reward, No Leadership. No Culture--Empty Promises

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsA lot of potential to be great. Its a good company name to have on your resume.

ConsOffice environment in DDB NY is stagnant, old, does not feel like an agency and there is no culture. The office space is so poor that it can be very embarrassing to bring clients to the office for meetings, yet alone prospective clients. For example, the office carpet is ripped in many areas and some conference rooms do not have A/C because DDB refuses to spend the money and fix. DDB does not match your 401K and does not tell you that they are not matching--you find out on your own! Very disappointing given Omnicom spent $100MM to find out that Wren and Levy couldn't agree, but DDB (part of Omnicom) employees can get a 401K match or salary increase, very unfortunate and telling of how employees are thought of. There are no bonus distributions and salary increases come very seldom (many wait 4-6 years). Senior management is very weak, makes decisions based on political impact (not about what is best for the business, situation, client or employee). Many empty promises are made, at least in DDB NY causing much of the great talent to leave. There is no defined career path or actions to set you up for success in order to grow and learn. The performance review process is a waste, senior management does not encourage or help you achieve your goals nor is there any incentive to do so year after year. The people that are rewarded are those that are weak and/or play along with the political environment at DDB. Many empty promises are made to employees to have them come to DDB or stay, but never are the fulfilled. DDB NY does not have any leadership, the current individuals do not come close to what leadership of a company should be and do nothing to improve the agency. There is no business growth in the agency despite losing businesses. The company survey each year does nothing to improve the environment and employee concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as you would like your clients to be treated. Grow the employees so there is a defined career path. Reward strong performers, incentivize employees to go above and beyond (i.e. promotion, bonus..etc), provide salary increases (many of have gone 4-6 years before getting an increase). The perspective at DDB is there is NO leadership; the ones in leadership positions are very weak and are more concerned about making political decisions in order to protect themselves. There is no growth, at least in the NY office. No culture or feeling of comradely and there is nothing done by leadership to change/improve/fix the low morale. Match employees 401K, especially since bonuses are not disrupted and there are salary increases.

Good place to work

Studio Artist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople are very friendly and hang out outside of work. Also, many people work there for a long time because they like the place which is rare for the advertising industry. Management is very accomodating to employee's need.

ConsThere is no much incentive to grow. Most of us have been on salary freeze for a long time and not much support to learn something new, but they expect us to keep up to date on technology.

The Chief Creative Officer is a bright spot.

Creative Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAfter years of appallingly bad CCO's in NY (you know who you are,) finally a good one. Matt has impeccable taste and creative judgement and knows how to run and build a department.

ConsUpper management could just as well be working for an insurance company. On the inspiration and leadership scale they would score a zero. So out of sync with the company values they present in powerpoint slides.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Or a soul.
    You can't preach the talented and nice gospel and be neither.

This place could be a great agency

Digital Producer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsRarely have to work late
    Really amazing people who want to be friends with you in and outside of the office
    Hire people based on personality
    Summer Fridays (where you actually get to leave at 1)
    Off between Christmas-New Years
    Decent midtown location
    Big name clients that look good on your resume
    Easy to coast by without anyone checking in on your

ConsNo raises/bonuses
     No culture
    Dated office space
    Lots of red tape to get things that should be relatively simple (like access to a print or an external monitor)
    Upper management only cares about their bonus
     No training or investment in talent to keep them up to date on current trends and technology

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something to keep your employees happy. It's the little things like a holiday party or updating our office that keeps up happy and makes us feel relative in the industry.

Trouble finding its way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked at DDB for many years and did so for a reason. Most people were smart, nice, supported each other, and acted like adults. I had a good amount of autonomy and decent career opportunities. The office had a professional, yet familial and comfortable atmosphere.

ConsThe organization lacked leadership and vision, and was somewhat disorganized. It was difficult to keep abreast of what was going on there, overall. Creative work in NY was improving, but had not been at top of industry for some time. Clients ok, but little new business momentum and relatively low morale. Digital services were not well integrated across the agency and little to no quality training existed. Office space quite dated. Most egregious issue was ability to get proper staffing approved by upper management to meet demands of paying/growing client business.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure accounts are staffed appropriately for business revenue and need.

Great co-workers. DDB hires nice people. No career track though, so not recommended.

Digital Producer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople who work at DDB are nice. The hours aren't too bad unless you are on a bad project, then they are really bad. Definitely a place where people can get their start, but not a place you can grow or should end up.

ConsThere is no way to get promoted. There is no vision or leadership. After seeing other agencies I can say the culture is 100% driven by the worker bees. The company does not invest in it's people AT ALL. Have a good idea? "Don't rock the boat". Want to make things better? "We don't have a budget for that". DDB does not give raises. You can work there 20 years and you will still be paid the same. They do it on purpose to keep their earning in shareholders pockets rather than invest in making great work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what it takes to keep talent. As long as you continue to fill your agency with newbies and don't take steps to nurture them there will never be any leadership and the agency will never be taken seriously. Grow a pair, and make a plan to get better and compete. Take care of your people.

Lots of potential, horrible management

(Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere's some really awesome talent here once you get away from the McDonald's team.

ConsThe MCD teams work and creativity is lackluster at best (and they're surprisingly arrogant about it).

Digital is looked at as a joke and not taken seriously.

Most of their project management staff is horrific, secretive and noncommunicative.

Management could care less about the employees themselves - only in micro managing every single detail without every really working with the client and people (and thus having an understanding of their particular needs).

Advice to Senior ManagementFor as long as some of you have been in the industry and in management positions, it's kind of scary to see how you run things.

Start listening to your people and stop with all of the mindless lip service.

Worked for DDB? Contribute to the Community!