DDC Advocacy

Updated October 13, 2014
Updated October 13, 2014
3.2

B.R. McConnon

Good company to work for!

I have been working at DDC Advocacy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DDC Advocacy really is a pretty good place to work. I have been here close to 4 years now and am very happy. I also don't understand many of the comments here about senior management and lack of upward mobility. In my experience senior management has been very accessible and generous. The employee benefits and worklife balance are awesome, and I have seen a number of people get promoted during my time here.

Cons

It's a small company of about 100 people so you get to know everyone very quickly. Office location is not near the metro

Office location is not ideal, explore other options.

No development, no growth, and no hope for improvement -- unless you're a VP

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at DDC Advocacy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Business casual dress, flexible work from home/telecommuting options, good benefits plans, (not salary, but insurance, etc.) and metro-accessible.

Cons

There is no work/life balance and no reward or incentive for the extra time and energy necessary to do the job. Worse, pay is salaried and not close to market rate and there is no over-time. Inconsistent expectations across the organization reward poor performance from staff with political connections. Some account/political personnel are belligerent and unprofessional and HR is not empowered to address those issues. Advancement and career development are not possible save for senior staff and management. The organization resists process and defined responsibilities to protect ill-defined account team responsibilities.

Stop confusing a new face or an "extensive" resume with a big Rolodex for change -- people enact change, but organizations and institutions keep it in place and enforce it. Similarly, establish processes and actually stick to them. Stop reorganizing every three months and enforce defined policy. Hold "senior-level" account team personnel accountable for poor client relationship management and impacts to other client work. Offer job training and employee development opportunities. Build an organization in which people other than managers and VPs can be promoted or grow beyond their role. Foster positive intra-team communications and interactions and punish abusive behavior.

Languishing.

I worked at DDC Advocacy full-time

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits. Generally good coworker relations, free soda, frequent free food, sports events etc.

Cons

Bonus and raise structure is a joke (be prepared to be punished every quarter because Bob in sales didn't meet his psychotically "optimistic" goals, even though you work in Accounting), constant pointless reorganizations, less than zero upper management recognition of accomplishments outside the boardroom apart from friends and political connections, minimum resources provided, no support for education/training etc., nano-management of time. Location is nice, but feels like working on a cruise ship adrift in the middle of the ocean. Despite supposedly being non-partisan, it is made painfully clear this ship lists more heavily to starboard than the Costa Concordia.

None.

Good

I worked at DDC Advocacy full-time

Pros

Cool Work culture for young professional

Cons

Pay not market rate, hence a little frustrating.

I have no advice for management.

Great potential stifled by bad middle mgmt

I have been working at DDC Advocacy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good smart low level workhorses
    Nice perks
    Sound tech platform

Cons

Management has no idea of its peoples worth
    Tendency to hire unsuited people managers
    Politics and micromanagement rampant
    Talk is given more importance than work
    Efforts of a committed few are thwarted by the boisterous managers
    Work life balance must be checked in at the door

Watch your managers
    Care for those that really work
    Mind the cronyism

Fun company

I worked at DDC Advocacy full-time

Pros

Young and fun group to work with

Cons

I wish I was paid more

Great company - really enjoy working here!

I have been working at DDC Advocacy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with DDCA for almost a year and the best part of working here has been the people. Everyone is friendly and goes out of their way to make new employees feel welcome. Other positives include the casual work environment, wonderful benefits, good work/life balance, office events including a St. Patrick's Day, Halloween and employee holiday party. I would recommend working here to everyone I know!

Cons

None - this is a great place to work.

Appreciate the continued concerted effort to keep employees informed and feeling appreciated. Keep up the good work!

DC Area Employment, at Its Finest!

Current Employee - Finance and Accounting in Oxon Hill, MD
    Current Employee - Finance and Accounting in Oxon Hill, MD

I have been working at DDC Advocacy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is the best company that I've worked! From the diverse and educated employee base to the level of service the company provides to its clients, I see nothing but success in the company's future. The technology is second to none and the company continually reinvests in itself to stay ahead of the competition. The company believes in a strong work/life balance, which is imperative in the current workforce.

Cons

I really can't think of any downsides to working here at DDC Advocacy. At first, it was tough to adjust to the the National Harbor location, but overtime this has become easier as the National Harbor has continued to expand and add some great restaurants.

It is evident that the company is expanding as time passes, and I would emphasis that management should continue to improve upon communications. Other than that, keep up the great work!

One of the best companies to work for!

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Oxon Hill, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Oxon Hill, MD

I have been working at DDC Advocacy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have had the most wonderful experience working for DDC Advocacy. The company culture is indescribable. The employees are knowledgeable, helpful, and accomplished. The Senior Management team is not far from that either - they have a steady streamline approach to maintaining a successful business. Overall, DDC Advoacay is a company all would thoroughly enjoy and thrive working for!

Cons

There are no cons other than the fact that it is not Metro accessible. Overall, it's a wonderful place to work!

Keep doing what you're doing to maintain the constant stream of sucess!

Account Director

Former Employee - Account Management in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Account Management in Alexandria, VA

I worked at DDC Advocacy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clients are generally high-profile companies.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch with employees and, at times, disrespectful.

If culture does not change, top talent will continue to leave.