DEI Holdings Reviews

Jim Minarik

1. Great Place to work, but no room for advancement

Former Employee - Sales in Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Vista, CA

I worked at DEI Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun atmosphere made going to work easy.
    the health benefits were good.
    high 401k match program
    easy going corporate structure
    employee discounts on products was awesome

Cons

pay was lower than other companies
    there was little to no room for advancement, unless you had work there for many years.
    yearly pay raises were a joke...10 cents!!! wow!

Advice to Management

stop short changing your employees, the Christmas parties were terrible op to use a different venue. stop firing all the competent managers and HR personnel.

Grey, Grey, and Stay Away

I worked at DEI Holdings

Pros

Located right off the 15

Cons

No privacy or independence. Everyone works in one large space unless you have your own office meaning that you can hear the 50+ chatting on the phone collecting money or assisting a dealer while you're trying to work
    Mundane, repetitive work
    No training
    Extremely outdated software

Advice to Management

Train new employees, invest in software, understand that humans have emotions.

3. Directed - Slowly Rebuilding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vista, CA

I have been working at DEI Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company was heading down hill for a while before the old CEO came back. Outlook is getting better, but will take multiple years to get back to where it was.

Cons

Communication between departments needs work. Each group is fragmented from each other and sometimes discussions feels forced.

No ladder here to climb. Always hearing rumors of a sell off (Directed side) does not help the moral around the office.

Strangest Place I've ever worked.

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Vista, CA
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Vista, CA

I worked at DEI Holdings as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I could see.

Cons

In my eventful life as a software engineer, I worked for a short time for Directed Electronics in Vista. I got placed here by Robert Half for a contract to hire. The IT department guys that I had to work with acted like high school kids. They were incredibly rude, alienating, petty. In any case, horribly unprofessional. The fact that I was a contractor contributed to that, but they did similar things to other full-time members of their own team. The manager was a complete jerk as well. The crazy thing was, at the end of my contract (I was counting down the seconds to get out of there), they offered me a full time job! I basically told them that I had zero interest in working for/with a group like that. In their revenge they brought in another contractor, that I had to verbally approve in a meeting with all the staff present, after I did so they then took the opportunity to literally say "were looking for someone not like me".

Advice to Management

Grow up and act professional not like some white trash car stereo company.

6. Good People, Good working environment

I worked at DEI Holdings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Corporate Culture, Great people, awesome wellness program including a gym onsite and great vending choices, competitive pay, clear communication on the company values, gives back to the community with their charity Forte

Cons

No room for growth, they don't promote a good work life balance, they lack clear policies and procedures, they don't hold management accountable, restructures the companies organizational chart often

Advice to Management

A reconnection with the employees is needed, with senior management. I encourage coffee chats again with the CEO & CFO

7. Great Company

I have been working at DEI Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great direction and product lines

Cons

none to speak of today

Terrible company. Lack of internal organization and bad colleagues

Former Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at DEI Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun to work with cars in the garage to test the products and develop the firmwares for Remote-Startersou

Cons

-The culture that the company created is terrible. If anything goes wrong everybody tries to find the guilty one, pointing fingers to show who did what.
    -Lack of internal organization + rude people: I witnessed verbal and written (email) aggression because of misunderstanding due to lack of organization
    - Team leader selfish and annoying: annoying to the point of asking you why you left your computer for more than X minutes (he's always watching your steps), and giving you a hard time in front of everybody in case he caught you talking/relaxing with your colleagues for a break time.
    -Terrible code: no documentation at all, no comments in the code (and if you write comments, the team leader will erase it! yeah.. believe it!)

Advice to Management

Understand that work environment is supposed to be nice and fun.
    Also get rid of people with bad character (selfish, annoying for nothing and rude) because that destroys the work environment and makes people leave.

9. Great people, great company, great culture!

I have been working at DEI Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven't been here as long as most people have. They have knowledgeable, tenured employees who have a passion for what they do. It's exciting to come to work each day where there is a positive energy throughout the building and true respect for each and every position.

Cons

Like any company, they have some work to do in the area of communication. Visions are only as good as the amount of people that are aware of them! They are investing money in the company but shouldn't forget that it doesn't cost much to have a thorough communication plan that is required to ensure all employees feel informed.

Advice to Management

I think that so many people are very loyal and dedicated and have been taking on more and more work without the added recognition. We need to do a better job of that and communication.