DENSO

Add Photos

Nobuaki Katoh

Great people, Poor Atmosphere

Engineer (Former Employee) Battle Creek, MI

ProsThe people at Denso are great to work with. There are plenty of management positions to grow into, and transferring departments is common and easy.

ConsUpper management is distant and relatively unfriendly. Room to grow is capped low due to Japanese executives being brought in.

Quality

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsIn the engineering group, managers are usually also engineers. Not someone with a business degree.
    Quality is #1.
    Employees are used to the best of their capabilities.
    Stability

ConsQuality is expensive against innovation.
    60-80hrs a week is usually minimum.
    Poor performers are not fired and only stagnate climbing slightly
    History of promotion on age and seniority over skill

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go or demote poor performers
    Promote/acknoledge high performers

Excellent company to work for. (Very happy employee).

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsExcellent place to gain experience
    Friendly staff, some extremely talented people work here
    High job security
    Recent work-life balance initiatives show that the company has its heart in the right place

ConsCulture and Job Security allow for some employees to out-stay their usefulness.
    Many decisions made based on "concensus" when common sense and expert opinion could deliver much faster action.
    Promotion system is a mystery to even some managers.
    Extreme workloads due to outdated systems, red-tape, lean staffing, and time zones.
    Easy to put more into the company that the company will return to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop tolerating associates who can't or won't deliver. Address performance and attitude issues. Promote those that are actually doing the work instead of pushing them out by overloading them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company that is good at what they do

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Battle Creek, MI

ProsInvests in employees through classes at Denso during normal business hours.

ConsAs with most Japanese companies, change is very difficult to push through. Even when the business's environment requires it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease independence from the Japanese headquarters. Increase engineering level pay to better compete with industry.

Terrible skilled trades management low morale too much overtime

Matenance (Current Employee) Battle Creek, MI

ProsMake good money no layoffs

ConsSkilled trades management is terrible one of them shut some guys in a furnace and they promoted him the morale is really bad the company has taken away so much from the workers. They want to write people up so they can show there power this is a terrible way to deal with people

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the floor maintenance management out of the building and get somebody that knows what is going on in there that is why people are leaving

10 years working for this company now

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Battle Creek, MI

Prosonsite pharmacy with good benefits

ConsLow Raised. Lack of staffting and manpower. overworked

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Average company.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsGood salary and bonus. Benefits used to be great. Now they're just average.

ConsOvertime is expected. No respect for non-Japanese. Japanese people are rude and don't care about what you think.

Finding myself dealing with incompetent American management who should be removed from their positions.

Senior Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) Maryville, TN

ProsI get a GREAT end of year bonus, and 2 extra weeks a year off usually for the 4th of July and Christmas.

ConsThe top out pay for maintenance has only risen less than a dollar in 5 years. The maintenance management has been promoted from within and struggle. Technicians with broader skills and styles are leaving because of the incompatibility with the management and no chance of promotion. Look at some of the GREAT leaders that have stepped down. NO DEPARTMENT SENIORITY. How can you bring someone from production with ZERO maintenance experience through an apprenticeship and then in 3 years give them access to 1st shift while you have higher skilled workers with 15 plus years in maintenance forced to stay on 2nd or 3rd. Rules prevent SHIFT TO SHIFT in a transfer to another area unless you have been at the same job post for 10 years. So you quit instead of finding happiness in another building possibly. Why would any company want to prevent an employee from moving to the same shift if it is an off-shift anyway?

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone in Japan needs to get involved. Advisers should be present to rebuild the original Denso methods. Zone maintenance on a lean skeleton crew is insane. 201, 202, and 203 are falling apart in maintenance. You do not have real technicians running the show. You have unrealistic goals you have set with your manpower and or quality of technicians in place. You have selfish leadership in place. I know what is said in exit interviews. Has anyone done anything about it? Of course not. That is why Green Mountain is snatching up your experienced base. Time for a change in all management!

Fair Company to Work For

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsJob Security is great "Job for Life"
    Friendly People
    Work/Life Balance

ConsBenefits not as good as they used to be
    No room for growth
    Incompetent Management

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your workers...the best are leaving and the company will get stuck with all the underperformers who are taking advantage of the "Job for Life"

Overall a good place to work.

Co-Op Engineer (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsThey had great pay, I liked the majority of the people that I worked with, and they were pretty flexible if you wanted to move around the company and try different things.

ConsThey expect you to put in a lot of time. I'm not sure how other departments handled it, but engineers would often have to burn the midnight oil.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only thing I could think of is helping co-ops to get a better idea of the whole project that they are helping with. Sometimes it seems like everything done is rather ineffectual, and it would be nice to know what is going on.

Worked for DENSO? Contribute to the Community!