DEX Data Exchange Corporation

Updated June 7, 2014
2.2

DEX Data Exchange Corporation Chairman, President & CEO Sheldon Malchicoff
Sheldon Malchicoff

I had much camaraderie with fellow employees.

Former Employee - Repair Technician  in  Lockbourne, OH
    Former Employee - Repair Technician in Lockbourne, OH

I worked at DEX Data Exchange Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked most of the people I worked with at DEX. I also liked the general working conditions, i.e. fairly comfortable conditions in the shop. Paid on time. Training in repair of appliances was okay.

Cons

The challenges were when the company decided to do things different. I am alway open to change, but this change was too fast too soon. They had us work a Saturday ( which in itself, I didn't complain about), to rewire a section of the shop where we did our work, for antenna and video signals to go to our workstations. Not a month later, we completely moved our work area to another area of the shop. I did not take to this well, at first. Then, a month after that, the company moved us entirely to a different building, doing generally the same depot repair work.

Company culture should be directed toward encouraging all employees to participate in their communities and community service & volunteering, also donating to charities, even if this means having to take some time off, from work, to accomplish this. Also, having a "Lunch & Learn" with the department or unit manager & their employees, every week.

Old Fashion, hectic, and understaffed

I worked at DEX Data Exchange Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many intelligent individuals that are more than willing to help you succeed and learn. There are talented people at DEX who value team work and adding value for clients. There are a lot of very talented long-term employees at DEX.

Cons

Leadership believes that everybody is lucky to have a job, so you better suck it up, keep your nose to the grindstone, and don’t complain. Sadly, this is killing productivity, and will lead to significant retention and recruiting cost down the road. The moment DEX employees began to feel that they were not appreciated and that they’re only on board to save a sinking ship, you amplified low employee morale.

Not enough is done to improve or motivate new employees to have longer tenures with the company. Strong, effective relationships are built on trust. If you don’t have strong, trust-based relationships with your people, everything you do to recognize them will be seen as manipulation. When employees feel that you are using recognition to get more out of them rather than to show that you value them personally, they begin to emotionally disengage and morale suffers. Show employees that you respect them , define their expectations, and avoid micromanaging. Be genuine and believable in interacting with your people. Its very simple, but without your employees believing you are genuine, honest, and practicing high levels of integrity, any efforts you make to improve morale will be suspect. High morale in the work place is essential to success and is influenced from the top down rather than from the bottom up.

There are no bad ideas, only undeveloped ones!! Employees should be encouraged to voice their ideas and concerns to management. Management needs to foster openness and listen to what their employees have to say. Innovations and ideas of employees reinforces their sense of value.

People are the most important resource you have. They are the engine that drives productivity and results and therefore their sense of morale and motivation will impact the company’s success. Managers need to energize their employees by acting enthusiastically and optimistically about the future. Try to make your meetings more about recognizing people for the good work they do and discussing strategy going forward. Keep meetings constructive. Your employees aren't your slaves, they can leave at any time. If you want them to stay, offer incentives to alter their undesirable behaviors. Don't make threats.

DON'T FORGET TO HAVE FUN!!!

How many executives does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Current Employee - Solutions Staff
    Current Employee - Solutions Staff

I have been working at DEX Data Exchange Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A parking lot....Dex has adequate parking availability due to their being so few vehicles.

Cons

They are laying off everyone! I have been with the company for several years and I have never seen it like this. In May alone they laid off nearly half of their entire solutions staff, with those who were fortunate enough to remain quickly leaving in their wake. No one wants to work here, this company is filled with great people, and the saddest part is that they are completely overworked and entirely unappreciated. The flaws within this organization come from their upper management and not from their general staff. There are several offices that line each floor of the facilities; these offices are filled with individuals with bloated titles and bloated salaries whom have zero responsibilities. In fact if you walk by during the booming hours of noon to three you can find some of them indulging in their favorite soap operas. None the less the executives pass blame onto the solutions staff as if they are responsible for the current climate of the company. Word to the wise; take responsibilities for your own mistakes. The only people to blame are those executives whom have paved their current road to failure with their own poor business decisions. On that note, unless you are willing to waste away in a cubicle being ridiculed and blamed for not being able to convince your client to pay three times more than Google shopping; this is not the place for you.

No need to waste my breath, if they would be willing to consider any outside advice their business wouldn't be failing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked there for over 10 years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I worked at DEX Data Exchange Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people working there that work hard for the company and want it to succeed. Nice to see so many that started in entry level positions in the roles (VP roles at that) they are in now because they truly deserve it (IT, Purchasing, Operations, just to name a few).

Cons

CEO hires some bad direct reports and is blind to their weaknesses and allowed them to make some bad decisions that affected loyal employees that cared about him and the business.

If you really want to grow the company reward your employees and not just certain ones. It was discouraging when times were tight and no increases but you would have all the VPs going to an all expense paid trip to Hawaii with the key sales people. Those VPs had employees working hard so the employees should have gotten a piece of the pie too.

Unethical and Unhealthy

I worked at DEX Data Exchange Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can gain a lot of experience in a short amount of time working within multiple departments. There were some good people there to learn from at the time.

Cons

All of the reviews about this place, the work environment and CEO are spot on. I was in shock and awe over some of the stuff I had seen go on there. This company is unethical and working there is bad for your health. The culture can't be changed, not with the current CEO in power and without him, there would be no company. The truth is that he keeps it alive and some months that's barely alive. There are periods of layoffs and then hires and then layoffs again. Heavy turn over at the top and all areas of the company really. Huge pay gaps between upper and lower management. I witnessed co-workers literally crying,.. more than once...additionally, I believe this company will fall apart and close it's doors the day that the CEO decides to stop forcing life (in his 60s).

Start by treating your people with sincere respect and dignity, evaluate their pay and benefits. Believe and live the good intention agenda you sell. Stop screwing your customers over; having to constantly replace old revenues with new revenues is difficult and severely tarnishes your reputation. Having said all that, I don't think this place can be fixed; it's too broken.

Underpaid, Unappreciated, and Disrespected

Former Employee - Amt  in  Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Amt in Camarillo, CA

I worked at DEX Data Exchange Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people. Most of the coworkers are great people and easy to get along with. They make working at that place tolerable

Cons

The Senior Management cares very little about their employees. They continuously talk about and push customer satisfaction this and customer satisfaction that. But they fail to understand that customer satisfaction will never be achieved if their own employees are miserable. There is a definite distrust of senior management, and for good reason. During the past year, there has been a tremendous amount of corporate downsizing. The entire Intern program has now been abolished, about a quarter of the finance department has been laid off, AMTs are regularly let go, and a huge inconceivable part of the operations floor has been let go. Despite all this, has DEX done anything to reduce the executives' lucrative benefits? No. Have the executives considered that sending everybody to President's Club is expensive and might be better spent elsewhere? No, of course not because they want to have fun and expense it.

Management also seems to show a lack of compassion and care for their employees. They are out to save their own skin and to make themselves look good. They give very little direction, and you instead have to rely on co-workers to give you the help you need. This hurts them in achieving their own impossible to reach contact goals. And oh boy, if you don't reach your impossible contact goal despite trying as hard as possible, the only advice you'll be told is " get on the phone more". Great management technique, huh?

If you want to work for a company that is dying/severely downsizing, if you want to be paid a wage less than you'd get at In-N-Out, if you want to be disrespected and have management that doesn't care about your professional development, and if you want to be given impossible to reach goals and be scolded for not reaching these goal, then DEX is definitely the place for you!

Care for your employees and try LISTENING to what they have to say. Try to understand that they are human being with their own lives and families trying to get by in the world.

Cautionary Tale

I worked at DEX Data Exchange Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

On the front lines and some of the leadership, you get tremendous work ethic and drive to serve the customer. The Oracle solutions are also an exceptional differentiator.

Cons

There are some decisions up high that I wouldn't fit into the "Do the right thing" category. I left the company feeling relieved that I'm no longer part it. I didn't find it to be an enjoyable atmosphere where people are inspired or motivated.

You have great people that look to you for a sense of purpose in their work. Lead. Inspire. Heavy handed management reaps diminishing returns over time.

This company is a joke.

Current Employee - Account Manager Trainee  in  Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager Trainee in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at DEX Data Exchange Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

CEO seems like a very nice and sincere guy. Free coffee?

Cons

Before getting hired as an Account Manager in Camarillo, I was told by Nicholas, the Human Resources Manager, that the retention rate for an AMT was 70%. Then I was told by Marian, the Director of Training and Development, that the retention rate was around 50%. Then an employee that had been with the company for about a year, informed me that it was more around 30%. This company is a complete joke. You are told you have to make 50 successful phone calls a day, which means you really have to make around 100 a day. There is absolutely NO training what so ever. Your sat down in your cube and told to find phone numbers of tech companies that might need new parts or replacement parts. When you actually get someone on the phone that needs a part, you get pricing from the DEX buyers and the part is always, 100% of the time, overpriced. I was on the phone with one potential customer and I informed him of our price, and he laughed at me and said he could find the part elsewhere for half the price I was offering. The most shocking, ridiculous experience I had at DEX was parts pricing. Supposedly, the process is supposed to go like this:

You get a potential client that needs a part. You type the part number into the DEX software and it pops out with a number that you send back to the client. The client accepts or declines. If they accept, you send it over to the DEX buyers that find the part for that price.

This is how I was told to do it:

You get a potential client that needs a part. You type the part number into the DEX software and get the price. You NEVER send a price back to the client without talking to the DEX buyers...so you show the price to the DEX buyers. They mark up the price. Then you send that price back to the client. At the same time, I was told not to bother the DEX buyers, unless I had a client ready to buy. How am I supposed to have a client ready to buy a part, without getting a price from the DEX buyers?

DEX is a complete joke and was a waste of my time. If you want to be a zombie and make 100 calls a day and give overpriced computer parts to companies that will laugh at you, be my guest.

If you want to be a productive member of society and actually have a job that you can learn from and develop, STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM DEX.

Just quit.

Tough business means tough place to work

I have been working at DEX Data Exchange Corporation full-time

Pros

Owner/CEO makes sure the company will survive unlike many in the same industry

Cons

Benefits especially 401k could be better

Really care about your employees. It is good for business

DEX has been a great place to work; they are very accommodating, accepting, and willing to nurture success.

Current Employee - Lead Research Analyst  in  Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Research Analyst in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at DEX Data Exchange Corporation part-time for more than a year

Pros

DEX is a very fun and laid back work environment. You have to work hard, but you get to be around a fun group of people while working.

Cons

The break room isn't the greatest, I wish there was an outdoor break area.

management is making some great moves to improve company morale and atmosphere; these improvements should continue.

Worked for DEX Data Exchange Corporation? Contribute to the Community!