DFID Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
3.7

DFID Secretary of State Justine Greening
Justine Greening

Challenging, supportive and deeply rewarding

Former Employee - Deputy Programmer Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Deputy Programmer Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at DFID full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Principally, the notion that everything you do is focussed on improving the lives of the poorest and most vulnerable people in the world.
    As well as that, in my experience, I found everyone I worked with to be smart, highly capable, totally dedicated and really supportive. You have to work hard, but why wouldn't you?

Cons

Development is important and you do need to see it as more than just a job. Sometimes the work can be stressful and intense. Sometimes the deadlines can be unreasonably short.

Give people the experience I had. Make it clear why they are doing what they are doing. Support them to improve in their work and in their career. Be kind.

Nice

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very Nice company with excellent benifits and opportunities, opportunity to grow mutually and benifit both in terms of personal satisfaction and money wise.

Leadeship

The best employer in the civil service

Current Employee - Head of Jordan and Lebanon Team  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head of Jordan and Lebanon Team in London, England (UK)

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A strong sense of mission, delivering real outcomes. A world leader in development. Interesting, challenging work. Working with a diverse, highly skilled and vibrant group of people.

Cons

The usual problems of a large, complex organisation apply. But as civil service/public sector organisations go, DFID is relatively well managed. Also, politics is politics - if you can't cope with working in an ultimately political environment both in the UK and the other countries we work in, don't bother.

Most of what we do is challenging enough. Sometimes leadership is about being helping people get over those challenges, not creating new ones.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

I worked at DFID full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good and positive workplace
    good work life balance
    Great team to work with

Cons

team dynamics
    personal ego issues of people

Good and positive workplace.

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great purpose, excellent colleagues and exciting work opportunities. You get to meet some amazing people from all kinds of background.

Cons

Serious work-life balance issues and poor salary.

Highs and lows

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is clearly passion for the policy work which is rich and varied, good training opportunities

Cons

Can be very grade conscious and in my experience not all teams promote work/life balance and can penalise you if you don't work consistently long hours. Has felt as if DFID management attempts to create a civil service mould of what 'good' looks like and a single approach rather than promoting and encouraging different styles of working

walk the talk, set examples of work/life balance, be more transparent about performance monitoring especially in moderation discussions. Get better at promoting diversity and enabling staff to bring more of a sense of authenticity to work

Eye-opening.

Former Employee - ICS  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - ICS in Bangalore (India)

I worked at DFID as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It is rare to work somewhere were people genuinely believe in the work of their company, the passion for helping others shines through.

Cons

Often things can seem quite bureaucratic which can inhibit the work and aims of the staff.

Continue the good work and gain access to greater resources to enable aid people across the world but ensuring time and effort is only spent in areas that need and actually want aid most.

Inept HR management - constant talk about change management - while remaining very much the same

I worked at DFID full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission, dedicated policy staff, sufficent critical mass to make a difference in field. Focus on cost cutting and attempts to provide training.S till a good calling card when applying for jobs within industry.

Cons

Despite fancy change management talk and cosmetic changes, still very much old fashioned Civil Service. Very grade conscious and hierarchical. Lots of office politics. Low salaries for long hours at manager level. HQ HR staff at times discriminatory against foreign employees.

Listen to al levels of staff.

Excellent mission and great colleagues but feels like it is losing its way

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The mission: to really make a difference in countries you work in. Generally high calibre colleagues. Fascinating challenges.

Cons

The current focus on following project money is driving all staff to fixate on narrow projects: DFID is losing the broader focus on trying to drive change. We risk losing the qualities that made DFID such a great organisation.

Cut back the bureaucracy, get realistic about the risks of doing development.

For a big organisation, you can really make an impact at country level

Current Employee - Corporate Services  in  Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)
    Current Employee - Corporate Services in Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good level of Autonomy at country level
    Good senior managers
    Annual flights budget to get back home
    Good work life balance & flexibility on working hours

Cons

Unfortunately a Pretty big bureaucracy for the DFID-wide decisions
    Only 3 or 4 years at post
    Allowannces & entitlements for housing so you dont really get to choose where you live

Dont consult too much - just trust your decision making

Worked for DFID? Contribute to the Community!