DFS Group Reviews

Philippe Schaus

1. Great benefits!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dededo, GU
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dededo, GU

I worked at DFS Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary plus commission structure. It is dependent upon tourism activity primarily, but commissions are reasonably consistent, at least as best as can be expected.

Cons

Any world event that is likely to result in a downturn in tourism will obviously affect your income here. This is an excellent place to work, but you'd be better suited if your spouse is the real breadwinner or has a more stable job.

Very much enjoyed my time with DFS - keep up the good work to keep this a well-oiled machine and continue developing your people with your commitment to training and development.

2. Great people, great place

Former Contractor - Creative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Creative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DFS Group as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked as a long term contractor until my department relocated to Hong Kong. There was mutual respect, open communication and flexibility. My team leader was the most qualified, talented person I have ever worked with the ability to laugh and lead simultaneously.

Cons

They relocated to Hong Kong.

Fabulous hiring of able, sociable people.

3. Manager

I have been working at DFS Group

Pros

Building a great and inclusive culture based on the customer experience

Cons

Email load is heavy
    Travel retail is unpredictable

Philippe has great vision and if we all follow and dedicate to the goal we will be the best.

5. I love my job, great company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Promoter in Jamaica, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Promoter in Jamaica, NY

I have been working at DFS Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

easy, great pay, benefits, flexiable, opportunity to advance, gifts, incentives, bonuses. overall you will learn and be rewarded on top of pay. i am happy with working here.

Cons

little training so you will basically teach yourself until you attend certain vendor trainings, also it gets pretty unorganized with how we work on the floor and what we have to offer customer

work out certain kinks with boosting productivity.

6. senior manager

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at DFS Group as a contractor

Pros

very good compensation. no long work hours. opportunity to climb.

Cons

none that i can think of.

good job.

7. REALLY CARES FOR EMPLOYEES

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at DFS Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for with great room to advance and grow. You'll be able to learn about the business especially in a luxury selling environment.

Cons

Work life balance may be an issue when working in a highly touristed location that runs 365 days a year.

8. Excellent

Former Employee - Team Lead in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Honolulu, HI

I worked at DFS Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

brands and people are great, staff are fully trained in customer service, and great benefits,

Cons

languages skills. DFS are surrounded by demographic culture and it is a challenge to work with people if you are not mufti-laguage

being passionate to your people, store, products and your brands. be a good listener and be fair to everyone else

9. straight-laced corporate institution with little focus on employee empowerment

Former Employee - Specialist in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Torrance, CA

I worked at DFS Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great benefits, decent time-off policies, decent career opportunities globally, not domestically

Cons

little to no career growth opportunities domestically, slightly oppressive/dry/straight-laced traditionally corporate office culture, not as flexible in terms of schedule

strive for better office culture with more relaxed environment, focus on team-bonding initiatives

10. Smoke and Mirrors

I worked at DFS Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- good deals during employee sales
    - opportunity to learn about luxury retail from all business aspects (merchandising, distribution, operations, etc.)

Cons

- awful politics and nepotism
    - top-down business structure, even though upper management denies it
    - poor organization, communication, unclear objectives due to lack of leadership from upper management
    - mission statement, values, and training classes are not actually put into action by company leaders, and seem to be used as an attempt to brainwash employees
    - many employees can get away with not doing their job through faking it (blatant use of politics, covering your tracks, all talk and no action)

Lead by example, not behind your desk. Instead of constantly talking about what needs to be done, why not show it? Take accountability. Always support and inspire your team instead of throwing them under the bus to save yourself. Look at the bigger picture and figure out what really matters and makes a difference.

Managing Director of NAM has absolutely no clue

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DFS Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The overall company itself is great. Great employees worldwide. Great benefits.

Cons

The MD just doesn't get it, but luckily for her, she can fake it til she makes it or until she retires. Easily persuaded by those who can talk the talk but many of the employees who have been there for years is aware the MD has no idea what they do. It's really quite sad.

Inappropriate comments about people's style of dress is always made. Unless it is cleavage-baring tops or short shorts, etc. there is no right to comment on a person's style when you are no Coco Chanel. Yes, we all noticed at last year's Christmas party when we were asked to dress up, and someone came in jeans. Yep, that's the peron that gives us the known elevator look on our daily wear. Multiple comments are made about people's dress when in reality, it is just not her style. Perhaps paying your employees more if you are going to make unreasonable comments about style of dress. Telling an employee they cannot carry a fake purse is not constructive. Like I said, pay them more to get the real Gucci.

A lot of people would agree that the MD is on her own power trip. A rollover of 4 assistants in less than two years, and multiple talents (MBA & BA Graduates at Stanford, Harvard, UCSD, Columbia, Loyola Marymount, UCLA, CAL) in other departments who were smart & ambitious enough to leave or got pushed out by making their lives miserable. Yep, this is one class act.

Until I find something else, I'll just nod & kiss ass in our management meetings like the rest of us do until we find something else. When you ask aloud in Management meetings if the meeting was helpful, of course everyone is going to nod and say yes to your face. We have bills to pay. It's true what they say - people don't leave companies, they leave bosses.

Get a new MD that reflects the values of DFS - not one that fakes it. It would be great for the employees to rate the MD's performance anonymously because I can guarantee it would not be pretty.