DFS Group

DFS Group Chairman & CEO Philippe Schaus

Philippe Schaus

Professional

Stock Handller (Current Employee) Barrigada, GU

ProsPersonal visits from corporate, gifts/lunch from management, benefits, and incentives.

ConsPay is okay for any department you work in but the incentives make it work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the morale!

Managing Director of NAM has absolutely no clue

Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe overall company itself is great. Great employees worldwide. Great benefits.

ConsThe MD just doesn't get it, but luckily for her, she can fake it til she makes it or until she retires. Easily persuaded by those who can talk the talk but many of the employees who have been there for years is aware the MD has no idea what they do. It's really quite sad.

Inappropriate comments about people's style of dress is always made. Unless it is cleavage-baring tops or short shorts, etc. there is no right to comment on a person's style when you are no Coco Chanel. Yes, we all noticed at last year's Christmas party when we were asked to dress up, and someone came in jeans. Yep, that's the peron that gives us the known elevator look on our daily wear. Multiple comments are made about people's dress when in reality, it is just not her style. Perhaps paying your employees more if you are going to make unreasonable comments about style of dress. Telling an employee they cannot carry a fake purse is not constructive. Like I said, pay them more to get the real Gucci.

A lot of people would agree that the MD is on her own power trip. A rollover of 4 assistants in less than two years, and multiple talents (MBA & BA Graduates at Stanford, Harvard, UCSD, Columbia, Loyola Marymount, UCLA, CAL) in other departments who were smart & ambitious enough to leave or got pushed out by making their lives miserable. Yep, this is one class act.

Until I find something else, I'll just nod & kiss ass in our management meetings like the rest of us do until we find something else. When you ask aloud in Management meetings if the meeting was helpful, of course everyone is going to nod and say yes to your face. We have bills to pay. It's true what they say - people don't leave companies, they leave bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new MD that reflects the values of DFS - not one that fakes it. It would be great for the employees to rate the MD's performance anonymously because I can guarantee it would not be pretty.

great

ProsCompany is very great to work for

ConsI really cant say anything bad about this place

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInternational experience, luxury brands, positive work environment, compensation

ConsSystems are antiquated, merchandising team is under resourced.

Excellent employer that delivers what it promises

Management Trainee (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsStrong focus on development of staff in terms of skill sets and career progression. Great family environment to work in, where there is a strong emphasis on teamwork. Management walk the talk with their actions when it comes to practicing the 7 values of the company.

ConsIrregular hours unlike your usual 9-5, Monday to Friday work week. This means some personal sacrifices in terms your own social engagements will have to be made.

Great place to work

Assistant Merchandise Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay is very competitive with growth opportunities.

ConsManagers may know how to run a business; but need guidance on how to manage people.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide training on people management skills.

Former Employee

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

Prosprofitable company! great benefits! great location!

ConsLow morale among staff due to management not working as a team.
    Management does not motivate staff. VeryTop Heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIF YOU CAN'T TREAT PEOPLE WELL, HOW DO EXPECT TO HAVE EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS.

Rewarding yet frustrating.

Associate Planner (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsA true luxury global retailer. You will learn so much about the complexities of doing business internationally - from cultural nuances to demographic preferences.

ConsAs a subsidiary of LVMH, it felt like everything was driven by meeting shareholder expectations, whether or not it was realistic for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and reward your key talent. Hire people, especially in the planning world. More often than not, teams are extremely lean causing people to burn out rather quickly.

luxury customer service

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

Proshave the luxury working environment

Consthinks creatively to gain more business

A good trave retail company to work for

Brand Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood Benefits
    A Chance to wear various hats and learn several parts of the travel retail business
    Friendly people
    opportunities for open feedback
    Nice work atmosphere

ConsTop down organization
    results vs. people oriented culture
    complicated communication procedures
    e-mail oriented communication
    feedback not always considered because of top down organization
    Mission statement is hypocritical

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen employees speak, please listen and action

Worked for DFS Group? Contribute to the Community!