DFS Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

DFS Group Chairman & CEO Philippe Schaus

Philippe Schaus

An international and very corporate company.

Merchandise Assistant (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsSalary is higher than average compare to similar position in other companies. I highly recommend to start out at this company as an Management trainee.

ConsPoorly constructed processes for day-in and day-out tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the career path process of MT vs non-MT. An MT learn half of the process and earn double the salary plus housing allowance. And they get promoted after the program vs a non-MT starts at the bottom and face lots of challenges to get promoted.

A great company to work for!

Business Analyst/Business Controller (Former Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsDFS have great corporate culture and values. The company is taking care of its staff and provides many trainings. This is a pleasant workplace. Indeed, It is known for being one of the best company to work for in the luxury industry because of its atmosphere as people are less snob than in other companies. In addition, as the company is growing there are many challenges to accomplish and it offers lot of opportunities.

ConsI don't have real cons to highlight. However, I would just mention that the work load is relatively important.

Satisfied

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood environment and benefits, hard to get promoted

Conshectic, not much work lifebalance

Advice to Senior Management-

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

PSM Role

Product Sales Manager (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsDynamic, active. Different divisions/stores have differing cultures. Great supportive managers and bosses if they are on your side. At times great culture and some great colleagues to work with

ConsAt times political, again depends on which stores. It can be pressurizing though not impossible to accomplish tasks given, can at times try to do too much at one time lacking focus. Again location have different issues which cannot be covered completed

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak and know the salesforce including the challenges encountered by PSMs, give us tools to drive the business and build a team especially if in a new location

Worth to invest the time if you are a retail person but a lot to suffer!

Merchandiser (Former Employee)

Pros- Multi-brand environment, great brand exposure
    - International cultural, colleagues are from interesting backgrounds
    - Possible to change team and offer great opportunities to learn

Cons- Very political work environment, colleagues are quite divided into different groups
    - Poor communication with managers, don't even think about senior management
    - Promotion is for French or Americans, for local employees, you can see the glass ceiling on day 1
    - Poor benefit and package to local contact employees,
    - Bonus is very bad as in management set very unachieveable targets, far below than what says on the contract
    - Very last minute work environment and cause a lot of unnecessary overtime work
    - Pretend to be work life balance which sounds very fake, after you enjoy those " happy hours", just more work is waiting for you

Advice to Senior Management- Value local employees
    - Hire more people for those teams are understaffed
    - Pay more if you want the smart people stay
    - Care about the quality of work, not just about those who talk more than actually work

Smart People, Bad Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsVery good pay and you get to work in an international capacity learning a lot about different markets and people from all over world.

ConsNo real culture. Poor communication from senior management. Atmosphere of "what have you done for me lately" and "cover your a$$" so there is little collaboration between parties and frequent in decision / lack of clarity. Overall its very negative atmosphere as people are overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a decision, communicate it, and then stick to it.

sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Pros5 day work, 17 day public holiday, 10-15 day Annual Leave

ConsGet many opportunity to learn (the Product knowledge.....)

Big and established organisation

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsEstablished with strong retail network and merchandising expertise

ConsIt is difficult to execute any changes without going through a big cycle and often, opportunities are missed.

DFS is a very good travel retail company

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsDFS is a multi national company having exposure to Global Level and working with different group of global users

ConsPoor recognition for work & career growth due to top-down culture

Advice to Senior ManagementIt will be good to consider employee performance instead of relationship oriented culture

Unrealistic

Finance (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Pros- good benefits for K-staff (Management)
    - good bonus when company does well
    - good and fun colleagues
    - had a good company culture but that has changed in the last few years

Cons- No OT remuneration for Mgmt-staff, although OT is highly required
    - Lots of unnecessary spending and cutting of budget/change of policies
    - unrealistic goals and senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring from outside. The changes to Snr Mgmt is causing a lot of discontent and unhappiness. During interview process, always highlighted that the company always "promotes from within".

Worked for DFS Group? Contribute to the Community!