DFS Group Reviews

Reset

1. REALLY CARES FOR EMPLOYEES

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at DFS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for with great room to advance and grow. You'll be able to learn about the business especially in a luxury selling environment.

Cons

Work life balance may be an issue when working in a highly touristed location that runs 365 days a year.

2. Excellent

Former Employee - Team Lead in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Honolulu, HI

I worked at DFS Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

brands and people are great, staff are fully trained in customer service, and great benefits,

Cons

languages skills. DFS are surrounded by demographic culture and it is a challenge to work with people if you are not mufti-laguage

Advice to Management

being passionate to your people, store, products and your brands. be a good listener and be fair to everyone else

3. straight-laced corporate institution with little focus on employee empowerment

Former Employee - Specialist in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Torrance, CA

I worked at DFS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits, decent time-off policies, decent career opportunities globally, not domestically

Cons

little to no career growth opportunities domestically, slightly oppressive/dry/straight-laced traditionally corporate office culture, not as flexible in terms of schedule

Advice to Management

strive for better office culture with more relaxed environment, focus on team-bonding initiatives

5. Smoke and Mirrors

I worked at DFS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- good deals during employee sales - opportunity to learn about luxury retail from all business aspects (merchandising, distribution, operations, etc.)

Cons

- awful politics and nepotism - top-down business structure, even though upper management denies it - poor organization, communication, unclear objectives due to lack of leadership from upper management - mission statement, values, and training classes are not actually put into action by company leaders, and seem to be used as an attempt to brainwash employees - many employees can get away with not doing their job through faking it (blatant use of politics, covering your tracks, all talk and no action)

Advice to Management

Lead by example, not behind your desk. Instead of constantly talking about what needs to be done, why not show it? Take accountability. Always support and inspire your team instead of throwing them under the bus to save yourself. Look at the bigger picture and figure out what really matters and makes a difference.

Managing Director of NAM has absolutely no clue

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DFS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The overall company itself is great. Great employees worldwide. Great benefits.

Cons

The MD just doesn't get it, but luckily for her, she can fake it til she makes it or until she retires. Easily persuaded by those who can talk the talk but many of the employees who have been there for years is aware the MD has no idea what they do. It's really quite sad. Inappropriate comments about people's style of dress is always made. Unless it is cleavage-baring tops or short shorts, etc. there is no right to comment on a person's style when you are no Coco Chanel. Yes, we all noticed at last year's Christmas party when we were asked to dress up, and someone came in jeans. Yep, that's the peron that gives us the known elevator look on our daily wear. Multiple comments are made about people's dress when in reality, it is just not her style. Perhaps paying your employees more if you are going to make unreasonable comments about style of dress. Telling an employee they cannot carry a fake purse is not constructive. Like I said, pay them more to get the real Gucci. A lot of people would agree that the MD is on her own power trip. A rollover of 4 assistants in less than two years, and multiple talents (MBA & BA Graduates at Stanford, Harvard, UCSD, Columbia, Loyola Marymount, UCLA, CAL) in other departments who were smart & ambitious enough to leave or got pushed out by making their lives miserable. Yep, this is one class act. Until I find something else, I'll just nod & kiss ass in our management meetings like the rest of us do until we find something else. When you ask aloud in Management meetings if the meeting was helpful, of course everyone is going to nod and say yes to your face. We have bills to pay. It's true what they say - people don't leave companies, they leave bosses.

Advice to Management

Get a new MD that reflects the values of DFS - not one that fakes it. It would be great for the employees to rate the MD's performance anonymously because I can guarantee it would not be pretty.

7. Professional

Current Employee - Stock Handller in Barrigada, GU
    Current Employee - Stock Handller in Barrigada, GU

I have been working at DFS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Personal visits from corporate, gifts/lunch from management, benefits, and incentives.

Cons

Pay is okay for any department you work in but the incentives make it work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the morale!

8. great

I have been working at DFS Group

Pros

Company is very great to work for

Cons

I really cant say anything bad about this place

Advice to Management

none

9. Great people to work with

I worked at DFS Group

Pros

International experience, luxury brands, positive work environment, compensation

Cons

Systems are antiquated, merchandising team is under resourced.

Excellent employer that delivers what it promises

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at DFS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong focus on development of staff in terms of skill sets and career progression. Great family environment to work in, where there is a strong emphasis on teamwork. Management walk the talk with their actions when it comes to practicing the 7 values of the company.

Cons

Irregular hours unlike your usual 9-5, Monday to Friday work week. This means some personal sacrifices in terms your own social engagements will have to be made.

11. Rewarding yet frustrating.

Former Employee - Associate Planner in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Planner in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DFS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A true luxury global retailer. You will learn so much about the complexities of doing business internationally - from cultural nuances to demographic preferences.

Cons

As a subsidiary of LVMH, it felt like everything was driven by meeting shareholder expectations, whether or not it was realistic for the company.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward your key talent. Hire people, especially in the planning world. More often than not, teams are extremely lean causing people to burn out rather quickly.

RSS Feed </> Embed