DFW International Airport

Sean Donahue

Needs more change agents

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stability is a strength and longevity appears to be typical for those content to making a career working for the airport.

Cons

Departments are heavily entrenched in a "silo" mentality thus making cooperation within the airport as wieldy and unnecessarily complicated......if cooperation can be reached at all.

Adopt a leaner and more agile mentality; move the "good old boys" out and get a more progressive, modern management staff.

It was professional

Former Employee - Guest Assistant/Parking in Florissant, MO
    Former Employee - Guest Assistant/Parking in Florissant, MO

I worked at DFW International Airport part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401k , and health benifits

Cons

alot of different languages, delays

n/a

Nightmare

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

salary and benefits, recreation center and wellness program

Cons

The VP's act and expected to be treated like royalty literally. They only do things together and not with the underlings. I just pray in my positions as President and Executive Director or organizations that I never acted this way to anyone in any position.

Take off the old school ways of top down and find the value in level management where people's strengths are valued and teams are built to support weaknesses. I had heard about reverse discrimination, but here I saw the reality of it. The reputation of how DFW treats employees is not good out in the street. Needs to be taken seriously...

Smoke and mirrors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large secure employer
    Time off given is ample
    Some great coworkers

Cons

Poor compensation, raises do not keep up with healthcare increases, inflation, etc.
    Typical government mentality of most leaders.
    An airport wide problem of career growth.
    Wasteful spending on projects and equipment, while not compensating employee's.
    Bullying method of supervision performed on a daily basis.

Time for a change, treat employee's better, quit bullying employee's to do what you want. If you treat your people with respect you might be surprised what you could accomplish by asking rather than threatening.

Run don't walk! You came to this site for a reason... TAKE NOTE OF THE AVERAGE REVIEWS AND FLY AWAY FAST!!

Former Employee - Information Technology in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in DFW, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

livewell gym, adequate time off when needed. Typical vacation and sick time allowances. For the time being they still offer 80/20 health insurance. On property medical (for flu shots etc)

Cons

HIGH turnover for newer employees (those who have been hired <= 3 years ) this is due to the mindset of the existing staff who feel they are entitled to pay and benefits without having to work for it. Management WILL NOT hold people accountable and no one who has been there for more than 5 years takes responsibility for anything. It is EXACTLY what you imagine the US post office to be run like!! Complete government WASTE!!

CLEAN HOUSE!!! You can do that you know, YOU are the employer!. Stop worrying about the people who would lose their jobs... they should have worked, since they don't, let those who will take over and pull DFW Airport out of the 70's! If you can't see how bad it is then maybe you should consider retirement! It's BAD out in the trenches!

Get what you put into it.

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, wellness incentives, tuition reimbursement, vacation and sick leave are generous. Departments vary but most seem to care about their employees and invest in their future.

Cons

Company has a lot of tenured employees that often hinders upward growth. Very hierarchical in nature. It's a public entity so pay is not always as much as private sector but is still competitive to the market for most positions.

A good company, with good people and a mostly sound infrastructure. Management could be better.

Former Employee - Intern in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in DFW, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good medical benefits
    - Great people
    - Steady work and very low risk of layoff due to it being American Airlines' major hub
    - Progressive outlook in developing and growing the airport's business ventures and being very conscientious about preserving the surrounding physical environment.
    - Great internship programs (when offered)
    - Time off for those who are "tenured" or have more than 5 - 10 years with the airport

Cons

Some of the departments are saddled with terrible executives. As with any major corporation, there are executives who simply have no business holding that title. How they obtained such rank is up for debate, but this isn't necessarily indicative of the entire company. I have witnessed such incompetence personally in the department I worked in, as well as confirmations of other terrible execs from a relative who has worked there for more than 15 years; this can create a very tense environment where execs are little "dictators" and people are constantly afraid of falling out of favor with the exec.

Be EXTREMELY careful in choosing effective and fair individuals for leadership positions; perhaps have better leadership training and closely evaluate and monitor department heads to make sure that they are not abusing their position of authority; Have a better system of advertising available positions to the public.

Egotistical leadership. Im amazed how the airport functions considering the dysfunctional management airport wide

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at DFW International Airport (more than 10 years)

Pros

As other reviews state, I will agree that time off is generous, while benefits cost skyrocket unfortunately our measly raise isn't keeping pace, however I think this is happening all over. Financially secure employer, growth in forecast.

Cons

Where to start? So many con's with this employer. Management treats employees with little respect and yet expects 110% from employees, then they fail to understand why so many employees all across the airport are at wits end, frustrated, and miserable. In quarterly meetings that were established to "improve" morale, when an employee brings up issues they are told by management to quit the job if not happy, this attitude is fairly consistent on a day to day basis. When discussing with employees in other departments the issue of promotions always comes up, as I read with several other reviewers this is dfw's #1 issue I would say. If employees can't grow and learn new skills then they become stagnant, with negative attitudes. 90% of the time when I, or someone I know applies for a job, human resources never even communicates as to whether or not an internal employee was selected. This is another example of how miniscule and expendable employees are viewed, AND FROM HR OF ALL DEPARTMENTS! I spoke with an employee last week who has been with dfw for 18 years and had applied for over 20 jobs, yet almost every time an external candidate was hired. It is very rare I see an internal employee get promoted or transfer, most of the old timers are stuck, and have been stuck in their position for decades with little hope in sight. Its a very sad place to work, however on a positive note there are some of the best peers you could ever ask to work with. Supervision, Management, AVP, VP, EVP, and Human Resources are the detrimental factors that fault DFW Airport in so many ways.

I think leaders need to quit being rewarded for a poor job, an example of this is a recent employee survey, bonuses are given for reaching a certain percentage of participation! If issues were resolved from previous surveys then by all means a bonus is deserved, but not by simply getting "x" amount of people to submit. Obviously DFW recognizes there is a problem by continuously cramming this survey down employees throats and pressuring you to complete the survey. Its time for a change in management and the antiquated views they represent.

Would not have accepted this job if I knew then what I know now

Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy commute
    Live Well Center
    Time off with pay is better then most places for newer employees

Cons

Boring!!! In my role I have 4 hours of actual work to complete in a 40 hour week. I spend the rest of my time looking for things to stay busy. I have a college education and previous management experience yet I spend the bulk of my day doing low level tasks just to stay busy.

There are no advancement opportunities because so many of the old timers are holding out until they are able to retire leaving no room for those with better skills and experience to take over. I get the feeling most people would have quit a long time ago if it wasn't for the pensions that DFW used to offer. On the bright side they no longer offer pensions and since I am a newer employee leaving will be an easy option.

Act more like a for profit company. Reduce excessive staffing, have the best person for a job instead of promoting based on tenure, etc.

Pleasant place to work.

Current Employee - Estimator in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Estimator in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Workable with Coworkers and Managers. There is growth opportunity.

Cons

The fact that the airport is outside the city center and from most suburban areas the commute is too far.

Continue to more diversification.