DFW International Airport Reviews

Reset
2.5
Sean Donahue

1. Featured Review

Overall great place to work, but some hit or miss departments

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pride of working for one of the busiest airports in the world. Good salary and benefits. Stable employer with well defined process/procedure

Cons

Change and innovation is spoken of often but hard to find. Flat organization with a lot of expertise nearing retirement. One word: Politics.

Advice to Management

Within the realm of the heavy regulation and oversight, fight and push for more value added change and innovation. Train up or weed out managers who care more about politics than about the passenger. Deal with the aging workforce before you lose a vast amount of expertise and knowledge.

2. fsd

I have been working at DFW International Airport

Pros

good for making money while in school for extra spending cash

Cons

not high pay for some but good for a part time job

Run and don't look back

I worked at DFW International Airport

Pros

One of the largest airports. The work/life balance is fine; unless you're expected to attend after work functions to make a certain executive look good.

Cons

Pompous executives. Very hierarchal. Everyone out for themselves and will lie, deceive, and sabotage each other to be "top dog". Not to mention, the "back-door" meetings and dealings they get away with. The HR dept is a joke but they must adhere to the directives of the executive that it reports up to and she will do whatever it takes to ensure nothing sticks to her. It's the worst environment ever!

Advice to Management

Get a reality check. You're not "Royals".

Admin Assistant II

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good leadership team Excellent benefits Opportunitiesf for growth Top quality work facilites Very diverse group of leaders and employees

Cons

Older workforce Continous change Too many meetings

No empathy from management and no escape

Former Employee - DFW DPS Security Officer in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - DFW DPS Security Officer in DFW, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free gym to use Vacation time is good for old timers Several different job roles to break up boredom

Cons

Supervisors are clueless at how to even be a good Supervisor, they treat employees poorly Raises are near worthless and the under performing employees (favorites) get the best raises The Airport does not stand behind employees, you are guilty until fighting to prove your innocence Many games played by Supervision at the employees expense Can not promote, management makes excuses of why they can't let an employee go. Several incidents of various forms of harassment and theft by Supervision, with more than one audit performed and wrongdoings are buried No lunch break, if you are working in a place without refrigeration the new Assistant Vice President says "oh well bring a cold sandwich" No bathrooms, employees are expected to share nasty port a pots that are not maintained Unsanitary working environment that have constant operational issues, such as air conditioning and heating failures, mold growing inside units, or inoperable computers.

Advice to Management

Look for jobs elsewhere aimed more to your skill level, most are not capable of completing their basic job function properly. Also quit taking on more duties from other departments, you can say "no". Security Services is stretched so thin currently that it is difficult to complete daily tasks. Either say no to others or pay overtime for a change because the tight rope is about to break

7. DFW Valet

I have been working at DFW International Airport

Pros

10/hr starting out. Flexible work hours. You don't need to know how to drive stick anymore.

Cons

High turn over rate. Dangerous

Good/bad like any job, more bad than good though

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours 1 Hour lunch Pretty good time off given Pay is decent

Cons

Where to start... Management is selfish, petty, and could care less for employees. They take all they can and leave scraps for bottom employees. Micromanagement style leadership prevalent everywhere. I can not begin to count how many surveys DFW gives year after year wanting to see what the problems are, when results are announced DFW says employees are ecstatic and feel it is a privilege to work in this fine establishment HA HA! I think they realize there are serious issues with current management as well as employees, however it is such a big problem to terminate 75% of Management in all Departments. Basically working here is just smiling and listening to everyone from the top down feed you as an employee full of lies, all you can do is let it roll off. Collect your check, do your minimum and just serve out your time. Once your hired you will most likely stay in current position until you leave, DFW does not typically promote within, in fact now mainly they hire temps, rather than promoting. I have seen some major improvements from new CEO, I think he is gradually making changes and cleaning house. I also think he is putting pressure on Human Resources seeing how they are all of the sudden responding to other reviewers. This is good, Human Resources has always been dysfunctional. So in the future with the current CEO hopefully DFW will change for the better. The live well is very nice and a benefit for employees, however there is a penalty going into effect for not utilizing it. DFW's health benefits are so so, but the cost are rising much faster than raises are compensating. I used to have DFW health plan, this year I finally cried uncle and said too much money. I went VA for free. Bottom line is there are worse places and by all means better places, I would suggest if younger do not start a job at DFW, they say there is a career path, however numerous employees I talk to say otherwise, evidently also other reviewers. Now if you are older, maybe working on another retirement or need the health insurance, and you can play the games then by all means DFW can be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Start caring for employees, no matter how low they are. Start standing up for employees, when they complain take the complaint up the ladder. Quit hiring temps when there are many of DFW employees qualified and eager to promote. Seek alternatives to keep health insurance low INSTEAD OF SLAPPING EMPLOYEES WITH SURCHARGES

They hire temps

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been there a while and I don't have many Pros Insurance is very good, but the yearly increases eat up your annual raise of up to 3% don't retirees get a bigger raise than that? They can give new CEO a 30% raise. They have a Livewell Health club. They require employees to utilize it so many visits, or they will have to pay more for insurance premiums $75 per month extra!

Cons

less than fair raises. required to use health club or pay higher health insurance premiums No promotion from within

Advice to Management

Start paying the little people instead of thanking them for their efforts.I can't send 'Thank you' to pay my electric! Why don't you guys try that!

Micromanagement Capital of the World

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pride that comes with working for the Airport.

Cons

Micromanagement, no room to grow, no opportunities for promotions, old-fashioned culture.

Advice to Management

Trust and promote your good employees.

Baggage support

Current Employee - Baggage Room Personnel in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Baggage Room Personnel in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced and high intensity work environment

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth

RSS Feed </> Embed