DFW International Airport

Updated August 30, 2014
Updated August 30, 2014

2.6

Sean Donahue

Get what you put into it.

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, wellness incentives, tuition reimbursement, vacation and sick leave are generous. Departments vary but most seem to care about their employees and invest in their future.

Cons

Company has a lot of tenured employees that often hinders upward growth. Very hierarchical in nature. It's a public entity so pay is not always as much as private sector but is still competitive to the market for most positions.

A good company, with good people and a mostly sound infrastructure. Management could be better.

Former Employee - Intern  in  DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in DFW, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good medical benefits
    - Great people
    - Steady work and very low risk of layoff due to it being American Airlines' major hub
    - Progressive outlook in developing and growing the airport's business ventures and being very conscientious about preserving the surrounding physical environment.
    - Great internship programs (when offered)
    - Time off for those who are "tenured" or have more than 5 - 10 years with the airport

Cons

Some of the departments are saddled with terrible executives. As with any major corporation, there are executives who simply have no business holding that title. How they obtained such rank is up for debate, but this isn't necessarily indicative of the entire company. I have witnessed such incompetence personally in the department I worked in, as well as confirmations of other terrible execs from a relative who has worked there for more than 15 years; this can create a very tense environment where execs are little "dictators" and people are constantly afraid of falling out of favor with the exec.

Be EXTREMELY careful in choosing effective and fair individuals for leadership positions; perhaps have better leadership training and closely evaluate and monitor department heads to make sure that they are not abusing their position of authority; Have a better system of advertising available positions to the public.

Would not have accepted this job if I knew then what I know now

Current Employee - Accounting/Finance  in  DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy commute
    Live Well Center
    Time off with pay is better then most places for newer employees

Cons

Boring!!! In my role I have 4 hours of actual work to complete in a 40 hour week. I spend the rest of my time looking for things to stay busy. I have a college education and previous management experience yet I spend the bulk of my day doing low level tasks just to stay busy.

There are no advancement opportunities because so many of the old timers are holding out until they are able to retire leaving no room for those with better skills and experience to take over. I get the feeling most people would have quit a long time ago if it wasn't for the pensions that DFW used to offer. On the bright side they no longer offer pensions and since I am a newer employee leaving will be an easy option.

Act more like a for profit company. Reduce excessive staffing, have the best person for a job instead of promoting based on tenure, etc.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pleasant place to work.

Current Employee - Estimator  in  DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Estimator in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Workable with Coworkers and Managers. There is growth opportunity.

Cons

The fact that the airport is outside the city center and from most suburban areas the commute is too far.

Continue to more diversification.

Rewarding leaders, while screwing front line employees.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rewards such as vacation time and sick leave are generous compared to other employers

Cons

Supervion are not held accountable and in fact are placed above employees, financially the airport is doing well, it was just posted DFW hit some financial marks never seen in their history. Shortly afterwards it announced that raises would not even keep pace with inflation, raises will be capped at 3%, which entails most of the people will get 2.5%. Then the airport stated healthcare would rise 3.5%. For an organization doing so well they are always finding ways to take away from employees. This is probably so the executives can receive a bonus on cutting cost.

Better treatment of employees, maybe come down off the pedestal and work with employees for a day to see what its like to get treated like trash. I would imagine it would be unpleasant and serve as a wake up.

Typical Government Agency

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay here is extremely well, if not a bit over paid for experience and production.

Cons

Where do I begin:

This is a government agency and the employee turnover is extremely low among those that still have a pension. Upper management is not interested in developing their teams. The executive staff is mostly interested in themselves and traveling while it produces no value for the organization. Go to CBS DFW and search for DFW. The executives routinely travel in business class around the world.

There are not budgets, at best. The airport is investing in new refreshing terminals. The project is significantly over budget, however, no one seems to be held responsible for the lack of accountability.

The new CEO brought in hopes of change, but that does not appear to be happening. We hoped that the CEO would overall the structure and personal down to the manager level. Nothing has happened.

Clean house. It is obvious that Sr Management is only out for themselves. This has led to a debilitating lack of trust and has absolutely halted any organization development and grow community value. There are great employees in the wings, but they are suppressed due to the governmental structure.

The most unprofessional poorly run organization I have ever worked for.

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

Wellness incentive rewards for employees who participate in the program.

Cons

Hierarchy structure that borders on the absurd with self-inflated executive team that act like they are above reproach due to the quasi-governmental status of the airport. Managers who can seldom be found who take excessive liberties with personal time and leisure. Divisiveness and excessive politics. A very small minded organization despite its large economic structure in the DFW area.

Make changes from the top down and recruit better educated professional team.

10% do 98% of the work!

Former Employee - IT Department  in  DFW, TX
    Former Employee - IT Department in DFW, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible schedules, ability to slack

Cons

managers don't enforce accountability so no one takes ownership. problems are top down. If you work ethic don't work here!

we're all grownups, expect accountability

Might be a decent place for an individual who has retired from some other employer to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than a year

Pros

The airports financial state is very good, there is an onsite gym for employees who work 9-5pm hours. Health benefits are so so, definitely not the worst. Stable employment.

Cons

The airport likes to constantly say they value the employee, however when the time arrives to prove this theory the airport fails miserably. Human resources back managers 99% of the time when legitimate issues with an employee come up. As most have mentioned in reviews promoting within the organization are lackluster to say the least. The individuals who do get promoted are the absolute worst choices.

The airport is always sending management to classes in hopes to increase employee engagement, along with several employee surveys, yet the airport leadership fails to understand why numbers reflect so poorly.

There is so many things that are swept under the rug at DFW such as racial inequalities, sexual harassments, embezzlement, among numerous other poor business practices.

The consensus among many is that the current management is severely corrupt, empowered, untouchable, as well as uncaring. Therefor it is doubtful to make progress in turning this employer around for the better. Some hold out hope that the new CEO Sean Donohue will prove otherwise, here's hoping.

A serious evaluation on the functionality, as well as cost/benefit of Human Resources needs to be implemented. It is absolutely useless to the employees, only useful for supervision level up.

I'm glad to read others reviews on the same opinions most have of working here.

Interesting opportunities.

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

Excellent projects. Great training and the ability to contribute if liked by management.

Cons

Government-like environment. Employees are affraid. It is becoming a witch hunt environment. People are concerned that their job will impacted by the new CEO.

Be more inclusive.

Worked for DFW International Airport? Contribute to the Community!