DFW International Airport Reviews

Updated April 1, 2015
51 reviews filtered by
2.1
Sean Donahue

Pros
  • The Airport also has a decent work-life balance style (in 3 reviews)

• Good benefits, employee gym, potential to learn a diverse set of skills from across the different business groups, lots of training, tuition assistance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If an employee dares to go to Human Resources for assistance, Sr (in 5 reviews)

• People are concerned that their job will impacted by the new CEO (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Overall great place to work, but some hit or miss departments

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pride of working for one of the busiest airports in the world.
    Good salary and benefits.
    Stable employer with well defined process/procedure

Cons

Change and innovation is spoken of often but hard to find.
    Flat organization with a lot of expertise nearing retirement.
    One word: Politics.

Advice to Management

Within the realm of the heavy regulation and oversight, fight and push for more value added change and innovation. Train up or weed out managers who care more about politics than about the passenger. Deal with the aging workforce before you lose a vast amount of expertise and knowledge.

Worked shift and management

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DFW is a very stable environment and has numerous areas for employment opportunity. Benefits are good and will appeal to a broad range of people. Compensation is above average for the area once you reach management level.

Cons

Many of the positions are shift work and require flexibility (odd hours, working weekends, rotational shifts). While there is a stable work environment, career advancement potential is limited and crossing into different departments is very challenging. Opportunity likely depends on who you know.

Advice to Management

Consider rotational programs which allow top performers to work in various roles/departments to gain experience.

Could be so good, but...

Current Employee - Contractor - Temp in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Contractor - Temp in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport

Pros

Direct deposit shows up on time

Cons

Favoritism, nepotism, minority participation pushed to the point that is practically all they hire for management.

Advice to Management

retire

The Core of Corruption

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent salaries, genuine, hard working lower-level employees, prestige and awe of working at a major international airport, ability to assist others, at times.

Cons

Where do I begin? I have always believed this could be a dream job, however that would requirex at a minimum, poor management to be in place. Management here is dead weight and nothing more than a hindrance to those getting their jobs done. Every year they expect you take on more work than the year before. I would suggest cloning yourself if you stay here a few years.

Advice to Management

Stop vying for an academy award by acting like you care about your employees at meetings. Talk is cheap (which gets really annoying when never backed up by action). Clean house, fire uppers and even yourself. Then suggest to the fresh personnel that they actually hire and promote from within-- foreign concept at dfw airport.

Corrupt, dirty and two faced management. I hate to sound so negative, however this is the most accurate description

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starting salary is generous, considering the work load is not overly demanding. I would say vacation time is fair as well. Many opportunities to learn so much about a multi faceted operation.

Cons

In my opinion this could be an outstanding organization to work for IF.... management was not so blatantly inept at performing their jobs. In all my jobs I have never worked for an employer that treats its workers with such little respect, yet lies constantly saying how dfw values its employees. Its insane how one minute your being praised, the next getting dirty looks and being examined under a microscope. I feel I am treated as if dfw is under the impression it owns me like property. The poor treatment and threatening environment is what makes the job exhausting on a daily basis. I sure had higher hopes when I started, and I was filled with promises that there was significant career paths obtainable and exemplary treatment of employees, ALL LIES FROM HR AND MANAGEMENT! The airport is an institution, full of bureaucracy and corrupt leaders that care only for themselves. You should see how segregated the brand new extravagant administration building is, talk about snobby higher up's wanting to be isolated from any employee below their own level.

Advice to Management

I have heard of several unresolved complaints to HR, EEOC complaints, and lawsuits. Apparently this has been going on for years and years. I say time for someone to step in and clean house of most leadership.

My integrity was tested

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at DFW International Airport (more than 8 years)

Pros

I did enjoy the generous vacation leave I received, as well as the flexibility to use it.

I was on the old pension retirement and while it was a good benefit seeing how I didn't have to contribute, however I never received a statement explaining what my forecast would be which seemed sketchy.

I enjoyed many peers I worked with, really a great group of front line employees at dfw.

Cons

I couldn't stand my management any longer, it became a test to even be in the same room as them. Many of us in my department felt the same way. We were talked down to, at times bordering threats. Management placed little to no value on employees and it showed in low morale issues.

Promoting was not fair and usually either followed the "good ole boy" system or race card.

The old retirement was traded in for a new and much less generous retirement plan. If one works there for 40 years they might be able to retire comfortably.

It used to drive me crazy at how compartmented departments were and would never work together. The right hand would never know what the left was doing. Each department head was having a measuring contest to see which other department would back down on issues.

Advice to Management

The treatment of your workers is abysmal, start promoting by qualifications and records, not by race or favoritism. Drop the cocky power trip attitude.

Obviously dfw workers are becoming fed up with the way the airport treats its employees as is evidence from the numerous reviews all with the same complaints/issues on this site.

Terrible

I have been working at DFW International Airport

Pros

A lot of decent benefits

Cons

Terrible work environment, and every man for themselves

Advice to Management

Hire better supervisor, ones that care about their team and knows the job

Backwards way of running daily operations, leadership cares nothing of employees. I would keep on looking if I were you

Current Employee - DPS in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - DPS in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The planes keep on landing and there are dollars attached to each one, therefore I don't imagine DFW will go bankrupt anytime soon.

Cons

Hypocritical, unorganized, non functional management treat workers like clueless uneducated idiots, constantly belittling employees. The management team of my area is always walking around with their noses high in the air acting like an untouchable supreme being. I couldn't help but laugh at some of the other reviews. SO ACCURATE! I have always been a believer in what goes around comes around, and I hope one day the crooked leadership of DFW will be kicked out on the sidewalk. It has become such a bureaucracy and watch your back type employer. There's no support structure with supervision, no trust, no morale, no recognition. Many employees are applying elsewhere currently, to try to escape the beating everyday.

I realize the job markets not the best right now but trust me when I, along with most other reviewers are saying the same thing RUN!

Advice to Management

Quit running around pushing employees to complete surveys in order to get your bonus. Instead read the survey and work towards a solution. Without support from employees, management's job is much more difficult

10. Airport Administration Review

Current Employee - Security Officer in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Vast employment opportunities for DFW metroplex and the environs

Cons

Ineffective management of the parking fee administration. Both part-timers and full-timers pay the same quarterly parking fees.

Advice to Management

Review fees to match the number of hours work. Otherwise, some employees are be unjustly charged parking fees

Needs more change agents

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stability is a strength and longevity appears to be typical for those content to making a career working for the airport.

Cons

Departments are heavily entrenched in a "silo" mentality thus making cooperation within the airport as wieldy and unnecessarily complicated......if cooperation can be reached at all.

Advice to Management

Adopt a leaner and more agile mentality; move the "good old boys" out and get a more progressive, modern management staff.

DFW International Airport Photos