DFW International Airport

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
2.6

Sean Donahue

Overall great place to work, but some hit or miss departments

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pride of working for one of the busiest airports in the world.
    Good salary and benefits.
    Stable employer with well defined process/procedure

Cons

Change and innovation is spoken of often but hard to find.
    Flat organization with a lot of expertise nearing retirement.
    One word: Politics.

Within the realm of the heavy regulation and oversight, fight and push for more value added change and innovation. Train up or weed out managers who care more about politics than about the passenger. Deal with the aging workforce before you lose a vast amount of expertise and knowledge.

Needs more change agents

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stability is a strength and longevity appears to be typical for those content to making a career working for the airport.

Cons

Departments are heavily entrenched in a "silo" mentality thus making cooperation within the airport as wieldy and unnecessarily complicated......if cooperation can be reached at all.

Adopt a leaner and more agile mentality; move the "good old boys" out and get a more progressive, modern management staff.

Airport Administration Review

Current Employee - Security Officer in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Vast employment opportunities for DFW metroplex and the environs

Cons

Ineffective management of the parking fee administration. Both part-timers and full-timers pay the same quarterly parking fees.

Review fees to match the number of hours work. Otherwise, some employees are be unjustly charged parking fees

Where careers go to die

Current Employee - Security Services Division Officer in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Security Services Division Officer in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible shift hours
    Onsite gym
    So so health insurance
    Retirement plan offered

Cons

Department supervisors and leaders treat employees like small children who know nothing at all. You are spoken down to, like a lesser human being. Leadership witholds pertinent information from employees. Supervision will appease employees by stating hollow promises that will never manifest. Significant inequalities between supervision and employees, supervision is not held accountable. Supervision drains yearly departmental overtime budgets in any given year, while giving employees a very small percentage of overtime in an entire year. My estimate is supervision account for 80-90% of the entire yearly overtime account in my division.

Many times when one calls to sign up for an off duty assignment, supervision has already penciled their own name for the date/assignment you were interested in signing up for, then tell you sorry I have a gold badge so its my right to sign up before anyone else.

I have a bachelors and have all but given up on a career path at dfw. Department managers want to hold onto quality employees, when an employee tries to move to another department/division the management will sabotage the employee in order to not lose him/her. The other issue with career growth is that the airport is the only employer I have ever worked for that apparently is under the impression it is better to hire from the outside. Unless you are related to the "right" people its simply not going to happen.

Aggravating environment to work in.

No support from management.

Officers are frustrated, becoming more agitated at each other, and working against each other.

No career options.

Superiority affliction associated with supervision/management.

I don't believe morals, values, and honesty can be taught, no matter how many classes/courses are required. This has been evident in my department since I started 6 years ago. I truly believe a complete overhaul of the entire Department of Public Safety leadership is sorely needed in order to correct the numerous issues that plague the entire Department.

So glad to be free from that insane asylum!

Former Employee - Operations in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in DFW, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were good when I was there, however the cost were rapidly rising before I left, and with the leaders at dfw I'm sure they have found a way to screw employee's

Cons

Dfw goes around saying how much they value employee's, its all a facade! The upper management up on the hill at the administration building are very selfish and arrogant individuals who walk around acting like they are royalties, and expect to be treated in that fashion (other reviews state the same thing). The airport is run in a very outdated management style by leaders who are not qualified in their job role. Favoritism is very common, some people can get away with stealing, excessive tardiness, breaking protocols and it never catches up to them. Meanwhile not on the "in" list are crucified for small issues. As bad as the upper leadership is, it has no comparison to how horrible immediate supervision is, and the scary thing is hearing the same story from all over dfw departments. It makes you ask how did these people get hired? In my time there I applied for so so many internal jobs its not even funny, but dfw always hires from the outside (so many reviewers state the same thing). I finally got so fed up with the games, lies, and dead end career that I had to leave, I'm so much happier with my new employer. I forgot what it was like to be treated with respect!

I wish the leadership of dfw could be locked behind bars for 5 days. This would give you an idea of what its like for one of your employee's to come to work. You would not be treated as the royalty you think you are, you would not have any freedom, you would be stuck, just as a regular employee is.

Run don't walk! You came to this site for a reason... TAKE NOTE OF THE AVERAGE REVIEWS AND FLY AWAY FAST!!

Former Employee - Information Technology in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in DFW, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

livewell gym, adequate time off when needed. Typical vacation and sick time allowances. For the time being they still offer 80/20 health insurance. On property medical (for flu shots etc)

Cons

HIGH turnover for newer employees (those who have been hired <= 3 years ) this is due to the mindset of the existing staff who feel they are entitled to pay and benefits without having to work for it. Management WILL NOT hold people accountable and no one who has been there for more than 5 years takes responsibility for anything. It is EXACTLY what you imagine the US post office to be run like!! Complete government WASTE!!

CLEAN HOUSE!!! You can do that you know, YOU are the employer!. Stop worrying about the people who would lose their jobs... they should have worked, since they don't, let those who will take over and pull DFW Airport out of the 70's! If you can't see how bad it is then maybe you should consider retirement! It's BAD out in the trenches!

It was professional

Former Employee - Guest Assistant/Parking in Florissant, MO
    Former Employee - Guest Assistant/Parking in Florissant, MO

I worked at DFW International Airport part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401k , and health benifits

Cons

alot of different languages, delays

n/a

Nightmare

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

salary and benefits, recreation center and wellness program

Cons

The VP's act and expected to be treated like royalty literally. They only do things together and not with the underlings. I just pray in my positions as President and Executive Director or organizations that I never acted this way to anyone in any position.

Take off the old school ways of top down and find the value in level management where people's strengths are valued and teams are built to support weaknesses. I had heard about reverse discrimination, but here I saw the reality of it. The reputation of how DFW treats employees is not good out in the street. Needs to be taken seriously...

Smoke and mirrors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large secure employer
    Time off given is ample
    Some great coworkers

Cons

Poor compensation, raises do not keep up with healthcare increases, inflation, etc.
    Typical government mentality of most leaders.
    An airport wide problem of career growth.
    Wasteful spending on projects and equipment, while not compensating employee's.
    Bullying method of supervision performed on a daily basis.

Time for a change, treat employee's better, quit bullying employee's to do what you want. If you treat your people with respect you might be surprised what you could accomplish by asking rather than threatening.

Would not have accepted this job if I knew then what I know now

Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting/Finance in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy commute
    Live Well Center
    Time off with pay is better then most places for newer employees

Cons

Boring!!! In my role I have 4 hours of actual work to complete in a 40 hour week. I spend the rest of my time looking for things to stay busy. I have a college education and previous management experience yet I spend the bulk of my day doing low level tasks just to stay busy.

There are no advancement opportunities because so many of the old timers are holding out until they are able to retire leaving no room for those with better skills and experience to take over. I get the feeling most people would have quit a long time ago if it wasn't for the pensions that DFW used to offer. On the bright side they no longer offer pensions and since I am a newer employee leaving will be an easy option.

Act more like a for profit company. Reduce excessive staffing, have the best person for a job instead of promoting based on tenure, etc.

DFW International Airport Photos