DFW International Airport

Add Photos

Sean Donahue

Interesting opportunities.

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

ProsExcellent projects. Great training and the ability to contribute if liked by management.

ConsGovernment-like environment. Employees are affraid. It is becoming a witch hunt environment. People are concerned that their job will impacted by the new CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more inclusive.

Slow but Steady

Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits, employee gym, potential to learn a diverse set of skills from across the different business groups, lots of training, tuition assistance

ConsTypically, advancement only happens when a position is vacated, so building a career at DFW takes infinite patience, or you have to be willing to jump from department to department.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more entry level positions; likewise, create more senior level positions; in other words, spread the professional and technical ranks over a broader set of pay bands. This would provide greater opportunity for entry into the workforce, as well as create advancement opportunities for senior employees, even when a supervisory role is not (yet) available.

Great Opportunities

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

ProsExciting environment, there is always something new going on. Great opportunities to learn and grow. Management is fair for the most part, if you work hard and treat others with kindness you will be rewarded. Job stability is great and the airport is only going to get bigger in the coming years. Management and staff are very understanding and sympathetic, overall great people to work with.

ConsFor the most part, staff is older. The culture is more traditional than a lot of new start-ups. Some people take advantage of having been there for a long time, and put in no effort to their job. I worry that the new CEO will change many of the positive aspects of working for the airport in an effort to cut costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reward employees for their hard work. When employees enjoy working there, they will work harder and the airport will continue to grow and improve.

I feel stuck in my position

GTA (Current Employee)
DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 5 years

Prossteady work no lay offs

Consno advance in company all in who you know

Advice to Senior Managementsomeone needs to watch them! they have an entire department that unhappy

Some department are really good and some are really stale .....

IT Department (Former Employee)
Irving, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of opportunities if you are ready to prove yourself. If you do not let the politics and segregation get to you then it is possible to do some very dynamic things that can benefit the Airport as a whole. Loads of money is generated as the Airport has good revenue but lack of planning and the non-profit status makes the majority of this money thrown away year after year. There are a few percentage of employees who are dedicated to the core and takes the burden of the whole team sometimes in fact that is the model followed in ITS one person is strangled until some of whom has actually died of hear attack or cancer due to it and no one cares when they are gone.

ConsNo scope for growth, once hired you can burn your guts out but will never move up the ladder until the person ahead of you either retires or leaves the job or dies. There is lots of discrimination with segregation among the races if you know what I mean. Your skin takes care of your kind and again some people are targeted in each team to be the scapegoat who is burdened with all the work for the team to claim.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions, more options for movement inside the organization, If you have employees working in the same job for more than 20 years either they are not sane anymore or they are not working the same job but something else nobody cares about. Stop wasting money throwing it on contractors at least for IT projects so you can hire the right people instead of hiring people to be trained and who never really gets trained until retirement. Stop preferred treatment of one people from one race to make all of the others suffer. Go through the complaints process to see who makes the most complaints why is it they get this special treatment where they would not work at all as if the Airport was part of their ancestral property and they are owed free compensation every month.

Horrendous place to work.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsOnly pro is the 4 hr work day exempt staff is entitled to by policy.

ConsThe politics, the EVPs. The EVPs run the place like everyone's life is a game.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange executive management.

One of the best run airports in the world

ProsValues leadership development (in-house training, tuition reimbursement, new on-line training system), great work life balance, excellent benefits (low medical premiums, stellar match on 401k), job stability - financials strong and lots of business growth. Expected to work hard, but it's not cut throat or overly stressful. There will be a new campus for staff in a year. New CEO seems very sharp and cares about employees.

ConsQuasi- government which creates some bureaucracy. City politics can creep in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of your offices and spend more time with front line employees. Don't rely on email to communicate.

I wish I would had known before I started

DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

ProsWhile benefits are being significantly reduced, they are still mediocre compared to other employers

ConsSelf absorbed, power enthralled, uncaring Management

No promotions within

Very little care toward employee's

Very Depressing place to work due to such low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter 9 years I have seen various Departmental heads come and go, and I have surmised that DFW is dedicated to hiring idiotic worthless management.

The only solution I see is replacing Executive staff and then slowly weed out the Department heads in order to boost morale, increase promotions, and show that DFW values employee's for their hard work.

Most recently during one of the worst ice storms to hit the metrolplex I was told by my Supervisor that I was to "flex" my hours and had to do so regardless of my scheduled work time or responsibilities. I explained that my child was out of school due to the school shutting down because of the weather. After explaining my situation I was threatened with a write up if I did not make an attempt to drive in on solid ice early for my shift. This is a prime example of Management at DFW and what little regard they have toward employee's. Meanwhile Supervision receives constant overtime and the regular employee receives nothing.

A great experience great people learned so much there.

HVAC Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits, good work schedule, always something new happening.

ConsBad weather working outside. Somtimes mangement would not listen or put off advice from field maintenance workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a good supply of parts on hand for critical repairs.

The worst career move I ever made in my life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary is reasonably competitve for the marketplace

ConsBenefits are not competitve, employees are not valued, management from the VP level and up rule with impunity knowing that any investigation done is whitewashed by HR to protect the Airport; image presented does not represent the true workings; certain departments have significant turn over because of mismangement and internal bullying condoned by the VP; favoritism is rampant and attendance policy in enforced randomly;

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new CEO would be well served by considering an complete overhaul of management at EVP level and give serious consideration to the majority of the VPs and AVPs to bring the Airport in line with an efficient corporate structure, not the sloth it has become. There are too many formed relationships that allow for coverups and backscratching.

Worked for DFW International Airport? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DFW International Airport reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DFW International Airport CEO Sean Donahue . All 29 reviews posted anonymously by DFW International Airport employees.