DFW International Airport Reviews

49 reviews filtered by
2.3
Sean Donahue

1. Featured Review

Overall great place to work, but some hit or miss departments

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pride of working for one of the busiest airports in the world.
    Good salary and benefits.
    Stable employer with well defined process/procedure

Cons

Change and innovation is spoken of often but hard to find.
    Flat organization with a lot of expertise nearing retirement.
    One word: Politics.

Within the realm of the heavy regulation and oversight, fight and push for more value added change and innovation. Train up or weed out managers who care more about politics than about the passenger. Deal with the aging workforce before you lose a vast amount of expertise and knowledge.

Worked shift and management

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

DFW is a very stable environment and has numerous areas for employment opportunity. Benefits are good and will appeal to a broad range of people. Compensation is above average for the area once you reach management level.

Cons

Many of the positions are shift work and require flexibility (odd hours, working weekends, rotational shifts). While there is a stable work environment, career advancement potential is limited and crossing into different departments is very challenging. Opportunity likely depends on who you know.

Consider rotational programs which allow top performers to work in various roles/departments to gain experience.

Corrupt, dirty and two faced management. I hate to sound so negative, however this is the most accurate description

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starting salary is generous, considering the work load is not overly demanding. I would say vacation time is fair as well. Many opportunities to learn so much about a multi faceted operation.

Cons

In my opinion this could be an outstanding organization to work for IF.... management was not so blatantly inept at performing their jobs. In all my jobs I have never worked for an employer that treats its workers with such little respect, yet lies constantly saying how dfw values its employees. Its insane how one minute your being praised, the next getting dirty looks and being examined under a microscope. I feel I am treated as if dfw is under the impression it owns me like property. The poor treatment and threatening environment is what makes the job exhausting on a daily basis. I sure had higher hopes when I started, and I was filled with promises that there was significant career paths obtainable and exemplary treatment of employees, ALL LIES FROM HR AND MANAGEMENT! The airport is an institution, full of bureaucracy and corrupt leaders that care only for themselves. You should see how segregated the brand new extravagant administration building is, talk about snobby higher up's wanting to be isolated from any employee below their own level.

I have heard of several unresolved complaints to HR, EEOC complaints, and lawsuits. Apparently this has been going on for years and years. I say time for someone to step in and clean house of most leadership.

My integrity was tested

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at DFW International Airport (more than 8 years)

Pros

I did enjoy the generous vacation leave I received, as well as the flexibility to use it.

I was on the old pension retirement and while it was a good benefit seeing how I didn't have to contribute, however I never received a statement explaining what my forecast would be which seemed sketchy.

I enjoyed many peers I worked with, really a great group of front line employees at dfw.

Cons

I couldn't stand my management any longer, it became a test to even be in the same room as them. Many of us in my department felt the same way. We were talked down to, at times bordering threats. Management placed little to no value on employees and it showed in low morale issues.

Promoting was not fair and usually either followed the "good ole boy" system or race card.

The old retirement was traded in for a new and much less generous retirement plan. If one works there for 40 years they might be able to retire comfortably.

It used to drive me crazy at how compartmented departments were and would never work together. The right hand would never know what the left was doing. Each department head was having a measuring contest to see which other department would back down on issues.

The treatment of your workers is abysmal, start promoting by qualifications and records, not by race or favoritism. Drop the cocky power trip attitude.

Obviously dfw workers are becoming fed up with the way the airport treats its employees as is evidence from the numerous reviews all with the same complaints/issues on this site.

Terrible

I have been working at DFW International Airport

Pros

A lot of decent benefits

Cons

Terrible work environment, and every man for themselves

Hire better supervisor, ones that care about their team and knows the job

Backwards way of running daily operations, leadership cares nothing of employees. I would keep on looking if I were you

Current Employee - DPS in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - DPS in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The planes keep on landing and there are dollars attached to each one, therefore I don't imagine DFW will go bankrupt anytime soon.

Cons

Hypocritical, unorganized, non functional management treat workers like clueless uneducated idiots, constantly belittling employees. The management team of my area is always walking around with their noses high in the air acting like an untouchable supreme being. I couldn't help but laugh at some of the other reviews. SO ACCURATE! I have always been a believer in what goes around comes around, and I hope one day the crooked leadership of DFW will be kicked out on the sidewalk. It has become such a bureaucracy and watch your back type employer. There's no support structure with supervision, no trust, no morale, no recognition. Many employees are applying elsewhere currently, to try to escape the beating everyday.

I realize the job markets not the best right now but trust me when I, along with most other reviewers are saying the same thing RUN!

Quit running around pushing employees to complete surveys in order to get your bonus. Instead read the survey and work towards a solution. Without support from employees, management's job is much more difficult

8. Airport Administration Review

Current Employee - Security Officer in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Vast employment opportunities for DFW metroplex and the environs

Cons

Ineffective management of the parking fee administration. Both part-timers and full-timers pay the same quarterly parking fees.

Review fees to match the number of hours work. Otherwise, some employees are be unjustly charged parking fees

Needs more change agents

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stability is a strength and longevity appears to be typical for those content to making a career working for the airport.

Cons

Departments are heavily entrenched in a "silo" mentality thus making cooperation within the airport as wieldy and unnecessarily complicated......if cooperation can be reached at all.

Adopt a leaner and more agile mentality; move the "good old boys" out and get a more progressive, modern management staff.

Where careers go to die

Current Employee - Security Services Division Officer in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Security Services Division Officer in DFW, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible shift hours
    Onsite gym
    So so health insurance
    Retirement plan offered

Cons

Department supervisors and leaders treat employees like small children who know nothing at all. You are spoken down to, like a lesser human being. Leadership witholds pertinent information from employees. Supervision will appease employees by stating hollow promises that will never manifest. Significant inequalities between supervision and employees, supervision is not held accountable. Supervision drains yearly departmental overtime budgets in any given year, while giving employees a very small percentage of overtime in an entire year. My estimate is supervision account for 80-90% of the entire yearly overtime account in my division.

Many times when one calls to sign up for an off duty assignment, supervision has already penciled their own name for the date/assignment you were interested in signing up for, then tell you sorry I have a gold badge so its my right to sign up before anyone else.

I have a bachelors and have all but given up on a career path at dfw. Department managers want to hold onto quality employees, when an employee tries to move to another department/division the management will sabotage the employee in order to not lose him/her. The other issue with career growth is that the airport is the only employer I have ever worked for that apparently is under the impression it is better to hire from the outside. Unless you are related to the "right" people its simply not going to happen.

Aggravating environment to work in.

No support from management.

Officers are frustrated, becoming more agitated at each other, and working against each other.

No career options.

Superiority affliction associated with supervision/management.

I don't believe morals, values, and honesty can be taught, no matter how many classes/courses are required. This has been evident in my department since I started 6 years ago. I truly believe a complete overhaul of the entire Department of Public Safety leadership is sorely needed in order to correct the numerous issues that plague the entire Department.

So glad to be free from that insane asylum!

Former Employee - Operations in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in DFW, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were good when I was there, however the cost were rapidly rising before I left, and with the leaders at dfw I'm sure they have found a way to screw employee's

Cons

Dfw goes around saying how much they value employee's, its all a facade! The upper management up on the hill at the administration building are very selfish and arrogant individuals who walk around acting like they are royalties, and expect to be treated in that fashion (other reviews state the same thing). The airport is run in a very outdated management style by leaders who are not qualified in their job role. Favoritism is very common, some people can get away with stealing, excessive tardiness, breaking protocols and it never catches up to them. Meanwhile not on the "in" list are crucified for small issues. As bad as the upper leadership is, it has no comparison to how horrible immediate supervision is, and the scary thing is hearing the same story from all over dfw departments. It makes you ask how did these people get hired? In my time there I applied for so so many internal jobs its not even funny, but dfw always hires from the outside (so many reviewers state the same thing). I finally got so fed up with the games, lies, and dead end career that I had to leave, I'm so much happier with my new employer. I forgot what it was like to be treated with respect!

I wish the leadership of dfw could be locked behind bars for 5 days. This would give you an idea of what its like for one of your employee's to come to work. You would not be treated as the royalty you think you are, you would not have any freedom, you would be stuck, just as a regular employee is.

DFW International Airport Photos