DG FastChannel

DG FastChannel Chairman and CEO Scott K. Ginsburg

Scott K. Ginsburg

great place to work

Production (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat people, lots of stuff to learn and keep busy. over time available always, the pay wasn't the best but it was a great place to work

Consnot a lot of room for advancement, late hours sometimes, workload not balanced

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your workers

Working Knowledge

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsGreat benefits from company and great work environment. This was the start of a wonderful relationship at the company and they helped to grow me as employee.

ConsThe company does not live up to the promises, it was issues with with management who would make statements about payments, assistance with school and even raises and no follow through.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider allowing them to not make decisions about employees based on emotions but based on work performance.

No loyalty to workers

Advice to Senior ManagementStep in when the floor gets busy

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFriendly environment, interesting industry and lots of good people on the staff.

ConsPoor communication of vision and strategy.

I learned a lot about myself

Technical Lead (Former Employee)

ProsFor a long time they were the industry leader, so there was a certain amount of prestige that came with that.

ConsThey did not treat their personnel as anything but numbers to squeeze so the shareholders could benefit. They treated each acquisition as a numbers game to mismanage. With a few exceptions, there was no collaboration with personnel, just a dictation of will.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow you know how it feels to be treated the way you treated everyone else.

atrocious

ProsIt's an easy paycheck, nothing more than that.

ConsWe've merged at least 5 times in the past 10 years, always in chaos and no communication.

Worked in the IT organization.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsThe emergence into online provided a unique opportunity to learn new technologies.

ConsInvestment in core platforms and technologies was minimal which meant an abnormal amount of manual processes to keep the business running.

Advice to Senior ManagementDG needs to invest in their loyal employees.

Full of lots of good people, but very poorly run at the executive level.

Software Developer (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsMostly friendly staff and co-workers. Pay rate is average to just slightly above average. Somewhat flexible in staffing hours and PTO. Access to make lots of connections in Advertising and TV industries.

ConsProjects are ill conceived and poorly executed. It's essentially an organization with a high degree of technology, but senior leadership is all from advertising backgrounds, leading to a lot of confusion, projects that have no hope of meeting deadlines and ever shifting project requirements and scope.

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture a better "Product" team. A $1M investment into a project that takes a year to complete and which ultimately nets additionally only $5k (or less) of revenue per year is something that should never have been started. When Product says that a feature request is needed and will net $$$, make them show their work and prove that the investment is worth it. Otherwise you'll just keep running the company into the ground.

Bad culture, work environment, and red tape for employees.

(Current Employee)

ProsA company that services customers reasonably well. Compensation and work/life balance is reasonable.

ConsThe company is a bureaucracy that constantly shuffles due to acquisitions. The acquisitions eliminate advancement paths. Senior management is completely inept from an employee perspective. It's run like a media company, not like a technology company. There is no real COO, just a stand-in who isn't solving employee issues, just helping the bottom-line. The CEO seems to have no idea what's going on from an employee perspective, and how hard their ineptitude makes it for us to do our jobs.This filters down to the lower level managers. There is major compartmentalization. The attrition rate for top talent is ridiculous. The culture is .. boring. It's not a fun place to work at all. Management doesn't talk to their employees, or listen to their employees and employees feel like they are not part of the company and valued, even if they are paid reasonably well. They waste employees time with superficial company meetings that are not useful. You can't hold onto "A players" that way. It makes people feel frustrated, and eventually not want to put in their all. It's very difficult for an employee to do their job, get the software they need, etc. R&D is hard to get in touch with. Accounting is horrible to work with and slow. There is no focus on innovation, only acquisition. There's also a glass ceiling and they have laid off very valuable employees during acquisitions since they didn't do adequate investigation of who really was important.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to employees, visit offices, start to care about culture and work environment. Make it easier for us to do our jobs. Create paths for advancement.

Cutting Edge Company at the Forefront of the Industry

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent service at the local level
    Leads the industry in technology in which it wishes to excel

ConsTechnical support from the Corporate office less satisfying than from the local level
    Tends to focus on newer technologies, leaving other technologies to fend for themselves

Worked for DG FastChannel? Contribute to the Community!