DHA Group

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Hale

Great first impression, but very quickly proven wrong

Washington, DC

I worked at DHA Group for more than a year

ProsAmazing location, easy to get to. The DC office is downtown on Pennsylvania Ave and very convenient to several metro stations.

ConsNo transparency and little stability. Leadership doesn't communicate with staff, and no one seems to know what's going on behind the scenes - ever. Very high turnover and seemingly no loyalty to existing team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementStronger, more competent and trustworthy leadership needed.

Great company!

I have been working at DHA Group

ProsFamily like atmosphere, good HR team.

Conssmall company with limited opportunities for advancements

Do not work for DHA.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DHA Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsBase compensation higher than market range, if you get on a contract at the right time (i.e., the company needing to put a butt in a seat). Healthcare benefits were the best of any company I have worked for, although I believe those have recently been scaled back.

ConsCompany-wide, DHA management's philosophy seems to be "extreme delegation." This applies at the executive, PM, and functional lead levels. Tasking was assigned on my contract with little to no thought of individual contributors' subject matter expertise or ability. My functional lead delegated absolutely everything EXCEPT tasking decisions, to include his weekly status reporting duties and orientation of new employees on the task. As a result, he and ultimately the PM were out of touch with progress, issues, and future opportunities with the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring a government furlough wherein all your federal contractors are forced to take leave without pay for multiple weeks, it is generally a good idea for the CEO to deign to send out an email even acknowledging this fact. Show some loyalty to your employees and they will work hard for you.

Paradise Lost

I have been working at DHA Group full-time for more than a year

ProsSmall organization with very knowledgeable individual members. Individual managers know the contracts and people working them very well. Managers are easy to approach and seem to care about employee professional development.

ConsNew COO who fires longtime employees with little or no warning and makes no announcement that they have left the company or who is taking on their duties. A bit of a climate of fear at HQ which works its way down to the individual contributor level. Folks seem afraid to go to bat for employees if it means rocking the boat.

Advice to Senior ManagementDavid Hale should spend less time on leadership retreats and spend more time leading. He is not around and it appears that he is using the COO to do the dirty work while distancing himself from the unpleasant task of reorganizing.

Great company to get into

I have been working at DHA Group full-time for less than a year

ProsDHA is a very personable close-nit place to work. The administration has come a long way from growing pains due to growing so rapidly to the employee's happiness as a goal. The PM's are very personable and have an open door policy. DHA is well known with the clients with a great reputation. The company is steadily growing even in this downfall economy. The benefits are the best I've seen in the area.

ConsSchedule flexibility depends on an individual manager. Some are and some are not. Not something DHA has control over though.

HIGH Turnover...

Recruiting (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at DHA Group full-time for more than a year

ProsSome really talented people work at DHA, and everyone is easy to get along with. The Program Managers seem to really care about their people.

ConsThe company bonus structure changed while I was there, hitting my income.

The whole back office had massive turnover. The recruiting department had a complete turnover in 2012, as did other departments like HR. The recruiting group got a new manager and that caused a mass exodus. The whole proposal shop basically left the company in 2012. Same with Finance. Complete turnover. The management team lost a lot of very senior people.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit telling people that things are getting better without doing anything to solve the management problems. You need to be honest with your people and talk to them before you make promotions to keep the bad apples away from the cookie jar.

In danger of flaming out

I have been working at DHA Group

ProsIt used to be something different so I'm told.

ConsMajor failures has resulted in almost the entire backoffice (from senior execs to middle management to entry level employees) to turnover within the past 12 months yet the senior leadership continue to say there's nothing unusual or more generally, there's not a problem as they just continue to try and bid on everything without a real plan for infrastructure. Clients are starting to feel this as well.

Confusion and disappointment

I worked at DHA Group full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay and good health insurance
Owner seems to care, but sincerity is questionable

ConsGeneral confusion with almost everything
No clear direction from managers
Women are working for the company, but the men run the show
PROFOUND communication issues
Backbiting between groups
Financial issues due to poor management and unclear policy
No backbone from management when it comes to face to face interactions; they hide from personnel responsibilities
Hostile work environment due to racial and sexist comments and opinions

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at who is running the company and supervising your billable employees and see them for what they are, not who you THINK they are. Being able to drink and schmooze the owner doesn't make you a good manager.

Only HR would give this company 5 stars

I have been working at DHA Group

ProsThey have government contracts and offer decent wages.

ConsThe company is so poorly managed that I can't understand why their still in business. HR is a complete joke and there is no room for growth as previous employees mentioned

Glad I got in on the ground floor, it's only going up now.

I have been working at DHA Group

ProsAs a small company, there is very little bureaucracy getting in the way of open communication and the senior management is dedicated to maintaining this level of communication as the company continues to grow. As a small company, there are greater opportunities for involvement in multiple areas throughout the company, and career growth is dependent exclusively on your effort. The company works very hard at fostering a team atmosphere so that even the people who are working off-site feel connected.

ConsThe environment isn't for everyone. The company places emphasis on creativity and flexibility, so if you want to work in an environment in which every process is already strictly defined, then DHA is the wrong place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Worked for DHA Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DHA Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DHA Group CEO David Hale. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by DHA Group employees.