DHA Group Reviews

Updated March 19, 2014
Updated March 19, 2014

2.6

David Hale

Great first impression, but very quickly proven wrong

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at DHA Group for more than a year

Pros

Amazing location, easy to get to. The DC office is downtown on Pennsylvania Ave and very convenient to several metro stations.

Cons

No transparency and little stability. Leadership doesn't communicate with staff, and no one seems to know what's going on behind the scenes - ever. Very high turnover and seemingly no loyalty to existing team members.

Stronger, more competent and trustworthy leadership needed.

Great company!

I have been working at DHA Group

Pros

Family like atmosphere, good HR team.

Cons

small company with limited opportunities for advancements

Do not work for DHA.

I worked at DHA Group as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Base compensation higher than market range, if you get on a contract at the right time (i.e., the company needing to put a butt in a seat). Healthcare benefits were the best of any company I have worked for, although I believe those have recently been scaled back.

Cons

Company-wide, DHA management's philosophy seems to be "extreme delegation." This applies at the executive, PM, and functional lead levels. Tasking was assigned on my contract with little to no thought of individual contributors' subject matter expertise or ability. My functional lead delegated absolutely everything EXCEPT tasking decisions, to include his weekly status reporting duties and orientation of new employees on the task. As a result, he and ultimately the PM were out of touch with progress, issues, and future opportunities with the client.

During a government furlough wherein all your federal contractors are forced to take leave without pay for multiple weeks, it is generally a good idea for the CEO to deign to send out an email even acknowledging this fact. Show some loyalty to your employees and they will work hard for you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Paradise Lost

I have been working at DHA Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small organization with very knowledgeable individual members. Individual managers know the contracts and people working them very well. Managers are easy to approach and seem to care about employee professional development.

Cons

New COO who fires longtime employees with little or no warning and makes no announcement that they have left the company or who is taking on their duties. A bit of a climate of fear at HQ which works its way down to the individual contributor level. Folks seem afraid to go to bat for employees if it means rocking the boat.

David Hale should spend less time on leadership retreats and spend more time leading. He is not around and it appears that he is using the COO to do the dirty work while distancing himself from the unpleasant task of reorganizing.

Great company to get into

I have been working at DHA Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

DHA is a very personable close-nit place to work. The administration has come a long way from growing pains due to growing so rapidly to the employee's happiness as a goal. The PM's are very personable and have an open door policy. DHA is well known with the clients with a great reputation. The company is steadily growing even in this downfall economy. The benefits are the best I've seen in the area.

Cons

Schedule flexibility depends on an individual manager. Some are and some are not. Not something DHA has control over though.

HIGH Turnover...

Former Employee - Recruiting  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Recruiting in Washington, DC

I worked at DHA Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really talented people work at DHA, and everyone is easy to get along with. The Program Managers seem to really care about their people.

Cons

The company bonus structure changed while I was there, hitting my income.

The whole back office had massive turnover. The recruiting department had a complete turnover in 2012, as did other departments like HR. The recruiting group got a new manager and that caused a mass exodus. The whole proposal shop basically left the company in 2012. Same with Finance. Complete turnover. The management team lost a lot of very senior people.

Quit telling people that things are getting better without doing anything to solve the management problems. You need to be honest with your people and talk to them before you make promotions to keep the bad apples away from the cookie jar.

In danger of flaming out

I have been working at DHA Group

Pros

It used to be something different so I'm told.

Cons

Major failures has resulted in almost the entire backoffice (from senior execs to middle management to entry level employees) to turnover within the past 12 months yet the senior leadership continue to say there's nothing unusual or more generally, there's not a problem as they just continue to try and bid on everything without a real plan for infrastructure. Clients are starting to feel this as well.

Confusion and disappointment

I worked at DHA Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and good health insurance
    Owner seems to care, but sincerity is questionable

Cons

General confusion with almost everything
    No clear direction from managers
    Women are working for the company, but the men run the show
    PROFOUND communication issues
    Backbiting between groups
    Financial issues due to poor management and unclear policy
    No backbone from management when it comes to face to face interactions; they hide from personnel responsibilities
    Hostile work environment due to racial and sexist comments and opinions

Look at who is running the company and supervising your billable employees and see them for what they are, not who you THINK they are. Being able to drink and schmooze the owner doesn't make you a good manager.

Only HR would give this company 5 stars

I have been working at DHA Group

Pros

They have government contracts and offer decent wages.

Cons

The company is so poorly managed that I can't understand why their still in business. HR is a complete joke and there is no room for growth as previous employees mentioned

Glad I got in on the ground floor, it's only going up now.

I have been working at DHA Group

Pros

As a small company, there is very little bureaucracy getting in the way of open communication and the senior management is dedicated to maintaining this level of communication as the company continues to grow. As a small company, there are greater opportunities for involvement in multiple areas throughout the company, and career growth is dependent exclusively on your effort. The company works very hard at fostering a team atmosphere so that even the people who are working off-site feel connected.

Cons

The environment isn't for everyone. The company places emphasis on creativity and flexibility, so if you want to work in an environment in which every process is already strictly defined, then DHA is the wrong place for you.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Worked for DHA Group? Contribute to the Community!