DHI Mortgage

Add Photos

Randy Present

Review of Loan Processor position at DHI Mortgage

Full Time (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsI love working with the customers and helping them purchase a new home, that is the best part of this position.

ConsThe company overall is a good company; however the management in my area could use improvement. They offered very little training, other than web based training and the communication is non existent until something goes wrong. Management seems to talk "at" you when trying to reiterate or explain important information; they do not talk "to" you. At that point when something does goes wrong the communication is very negative; there is no positive feedback only negative reinforcement. I have been with this company for over a year and have yet to feel welcome here. I am a very easy going person and have been told I have an agreeable personality. I have never experienced this attitude at any place I ever worked. Management definitely does not promote a friendly work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a friendly work environment where all the employees feel welcome and generally accepted. Do not go to happy hour after hours with only certain co-workers and exclude others.If others do not wish to go out after work hours; allow them the opportunity to politely say no; but don't purposefully exclude them. Also, do not allow negative employees to gossip about others whom they do not know.Always allow your employees to feel uninhibited to ask questions; do not make them feel stupid if there is something they are sure of. Do not ignore certain employees yet take the time to talk to others that they know a little better; say good morning to everyone.
    The web base training (while good in itself and necessary) is not always going to be adequate.

Worst company to work for - ever!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsTo get a paycheck and gain experience

ConsNo leadership, micro-managers, no work/life balance, horrible time off policy (they give you a hard time when you request vacation or PTO), department manager sits in her office and doesn't talk to ANYONE, no paid overtime but work load keeps increasing so you end up working OT for free. I will never refer this company to a friend.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are not just a name or face - we have a life too. Please don't make it so hard for us to request and get approved time off. Work load is extremely heavy, so when we ask for OT - please don't put us through the wringer before maybe approving it.

Worst company ever

Office Grunt (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThere are no pros to working there.

ConsThey don't give raises. No performance or cost of living raises ever. Not even at your annual review. And you can't even negotiate your starting salary when first hired. The working environment is horrible. Most of the people working there hate it but do it because they need the job. The managers are condescending and force events on the employees. They will find any reason to get rid of someone who has been there for years because they are done with them. They can hire a new person for cheaper. I hated it there and would never ever go back. If you are not a yes person and do exactly what they say and keep your mouth shut then you won't last long.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who aren't rude, condescending, who don't belittle their employees, who actually listen, who care and who don't just force change on their employees without actually knowing what all the job is, and who aren't total jerks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slave Drivers-Beware of the Regional Processing Center

Loan Processor (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThere are no pros working here. It's a very negative and sad working environment.

ConsBosses are horrible and do not train you, the benefits suck for the first two years because it's a high deductible plan, managers also sleep and party with their employees, and when you call HR to complain they do nothing. The worst part of all is they give you too much work and make you work OT BUT THEY DON'T PAY YOU!.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit making your employees work OT for free. If they had a better HR Dept. that heard and worked with employees things could be different.

Have their own office culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthey are laid back and chil

Consthere are some poltics in there that dont fit every type of personality

Advice to Senior Managementbe more proactive and postive

DHI pushes ethical boundaries to the limit

Underwriter (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe money. For underwriting at least, they pay well however that definately comes at a price. No one would work here if they didn't pay well.

ConsNepitism runs absolutely rampant through the builder, contractors and of course at the Lender as well. If the loan officer and/or sale rep is a "Horton", married to one, or "involved" with one, they will pretty much get their way whether the loan truly qualifies or not. ANY guideline that is a "gray area" or at the discretion of the u/w will basically be determined in favor of approval, whether it should or not. Any risk factor that AUS cannot read is not even worth mentioning because it will be "overlooked". Companies like this will eventually lead to legislation that makes it illegal for builders to have their own lenders. When that happens, this lender will be a text book example of why. Get used to overtime and working weekends. Your personal life means absolutely nothing when turn times or number of closed loans are involved. You will be expected and frequently required to work way above and beyond the intial expectations that you are told in the hiring and training process. One Dallas area office pays their processors very little and expects way more out of them than their pay justifies. They start most of them out in the 30k range which as you can imagine, leads to absolutely horrible processing quality and multiple resubmissions to you as the underwriter. In fairness, any decent processor wouldn't even walk through the door for 30k a year so they get what they pay for. Unfortunately that burden falls onto the u/w's shoulders to pick up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, you are owned by the builder who already has no problem taking advantage of customers by building poor quality homes for top dollar so even if a manager wanted to make improvements, they would just end up getting themselves fired. My advice to management (the few that are not married to someone at the builder) would be to ride the gravy train while you can and just find a new job when you can't take it anymore. Hire MORE employees so you don't burn out the ones you have who (for now) are hanging in there. Overtime is nice but seeing your spouse and kids at night means a lot more to most of us.

not every job is a good idea

Loan Processor (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Prosincome to feed your child

Conspoor management. quanity vs quality of files. some people were closed just to make top loan officers numbers and they did not truely qualify for the loan.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe porcessors are extremely intellegent untilthe manager walks onto the floor to demean them. They have vast knowledge until you demean their performance. it can never work when you have inexpereinced loan officers telling people they have a loan when they clearly should not. if there was ever a place that people should run from, here you go.

Would not have taken the job if I had known

Loan Closer and Funder (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSome great people work there and have been with the company for a long time. The training/interview process at the corporate office is great, but they primarily focus on putting everyone into a processor position, when they could allow people to interview for positions based upon individual strengths.

ConsPoor pay, benefits, bonuses. Stayed very late the last week of every month, often times until 1 am!

Advice to Senior ManagementFeedback to employees. Recognition of jobs well done. Pay increases across the board are necessary. $32,000 for a college grad with experience is terrible.

The atmosphere is not for everyone!

Loan Processot (Former Employee)

ProsThe job is never boring! If you don't want a job where you're just pushing paper around, this is great. Good Benefits and Respectful co-workers; for the most part. Somewhat of a team atmosphere as long as you only deal with people in your department. You will learn a lot working here.

ConsReally long hours. Pay isn't competitive with the area. Some Managers don't have the knowledge you would expect for someone in their position. Nepotism and favoritism runs rampant. Expectations are set very high with little or no reality involved. At times it feels as if you're just a number and not a person. Bonus structure is the most convoluted I have ever seen. It is not conducive to a healthy work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking jobs away from qualified people to give someones child or cousin or other family member who know absolutely nothing about the mortgage business. Remember that your employees are people with families too. The unrealistic expectations that are laid out need to be curtailed and employees given the respect and encouragement needed to be successful in their position. Remember what it was like to be in the lower ranks, if you ever were. But most of all, don't ask anything of your employees that you yourself are not capable of doing. because we are the ones who put food on your table and allow you to live the lifestyle you currently have. Without the little people, you would be nowhere!!

Worked for DHI Mortgage? Contribute to the Community!