DHL Express Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
3.2

DHL Express CEO Ken Allen
Ken Allen

Pros
  • Great work/life balance where many colleagues actually spend personal time together outside of the office (in 9 reviews)

• Best working environment, great benefits and worldwide network for job opportunities (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Other than my ratings for senior management, my opinions are based on the US office (in 17 reviews)

• Although DHL says they support work/life balance, it is unrealistic with the heavy workload that many of their employees are responsible for completing (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

I love my DHL Express

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DHL Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

-1st class global network. I email countries all over the world (i.e. South Africa, China, Brazil, etc.)
    -Great compensation.
    -Amazing culture.
    You get what you put in and some people dislike the work-life balance because they do not understand how to utilize our network to handle issues or get things done.

Cons

Selling is the easiest part of the job. There are so many factors that come into play with international shipping that can go wrong and give an easy out for customers. US based customers are so used to FedEx or UPS that if one thing goes wrong they will no longer want to do business with you.

-Promotions should be given in reference to performance and not tenure within the company.

Love the atmosphere and the goals of the company. There is never a time that I felt our management team on all levels does not care about the company, the customer, and the employee.

-When implementing salaries for young professionals cost of living should factor in rent. The housing market in certain areas might be cheaper than others but rent is still high. Most young professionals are looking to rent and not buy houses so consider that as a factor when deciding salaries.

its okay

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at DHL Express full-time

Pros

good pay, vacation, work-life balance, office culture

Cons

very difficult work, long hours, poor cafeteria food, poor parking

Supervisors being overworked with little guidance

Former Employee - Field Service Supervisor  in  Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Service Supervisor in Trenton, NJ

I worked at DHL Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

The starting salary is decent.

Cons

You get very little support from management. The union is very bitter due to a 2008 mass layoff.

Stop expecting the impossible

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boomerang

I have been working at DHL Express full-time

Pros

Great to return working with a great bunch of diverse people who have a great attitude and company spirit. I've had such a warm reception from everyone.

Cons

Getting reacquainted and learning all the new structures, policies, and evolutions that have taken place since I was last with the company.

Continue evangelizing our global brand and the wonderful training that has evolved for our employees. The training has been awesome and impressive!

great experience

I have been working at DHL Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great People, Exciting Brand, International Culture

Cons

Constant Changes all the time, restructures, etc.

Pay is not good

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Columbia, SC

I have been working at DHL Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

they have 2 break rooms with machines.

Cons

They are not willing to pay for a good worker, They never give raises. They want you to work hard but dont give any bonuses or incentives. Supervisors think they can do what they want but write employees up for it Do not do it!

Value your employees and pay them for working so hard.

Pretty good, keep your head down

Former Employee - Service Agent  in  Erlanger, KY
    Former Employee - Service Agent in Erlanger, KY

I worked at DHL Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good enough part time gig, with decent pay and a great benefits package (tuition reimbursement, health, 401k, etc), especially considering it's a part time job. Immediate supervisor was very accommodating and respectful, and coworkers were generally good.

Cons

Definitely a job, not a career, to be a package sorter. The top-out pay scale at CVG is nowhere near what the workers from Wilmington were making. Plus like any night time job expect your sleep schedule to be screwed up. Watch for a certain short guy upstairs who is in middle management. And like any job demanding physical labor there's a lot of turnover.

Work on retaining qualified employees, even at the hourly laborer level

Great culture, but not efficient business practices

Former Employee - Manager, International Sales
    Former Employee - Manager, International Sales

I worked at DHL Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

fast paced, great compensation plan, interesting industry, they generally try to promote from within which is great. the culture is amazing too.

Cons

work-life balance, outdated internal systems, just not an efficient company. business model is flawed. they want you to have a minimum of 25 visits per week on top of prospecting/cold calling, all of the admin work like pricing, tracking shipments, onboarding new customers, maintenance of existing accounts, etc. You can't just focus on what is important, you have to do it all.

Cut out some of the KPI's. They aren't helping, but inhibiting sales people. Raise the quota, and believe that your people will do what they need to do, how they want to do it.

Best education of my career.

I worked at DHL Express

Pros

One of the advantages of working at DHL was having an excellent network of people that you can rely on to resolves matters.

Cons

Due to regulations and changes in the corporate structure, local business and customer based decisions where no longer able to be made by the local managers.

Always continue to communicate with your employees on a regular basis; keep them well informed of company expectations.

Stressful, but rewarding

Former Employee - Station Manager
    Former Employee - Station Manager

I worked at DHL Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great support by your fellow managers and team members. Lots of knowledge shared. At the local level the experience is fast paced and rarely dull. My managers were good to work with and provided the support needed to balance work-life issues. I don't know if that was common everywhere.

Cons

The nature of the business is that everything is on a strict time table and each package is special to someone. When something goes wrong, folks can be very upset.

Worked for DHL Express? Contribute to the Community!