DHR International

Add Photos

David Hoffmann

A Fine Firm

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong culture of collaboration. Great consultants and clients

ConsGeographically diverse global team makes it hard to connect sometimes

Caveat emptor: do your due diligence

Executive Vice President (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI have to say, there are no good reasons to work at this company. This is a place with no ethics whatsoever.

ConsThis is a poor firm and I would suggest anybody thinking of joining them (or using them) do their research. For example, just do a web search for “DHR International litigation” and you will find an incredible number of lawsuits. Typically, the firm will fire people just as their bonuses become due.

What’s going on? The firm is essentially entirely owned by one individual. That is highly unusual for professional services firms where ownership is typically distributed. The firm’s approach is to hire as many people as possible, give them an office and phone, and see what money they bring in. The preferred remuneration method is 100% commission. Either a consultant will bring in under their cost, in which case they will be quickly fired. Or they will bring in so much that there is an argument and DHR will fire them just before their commission check is due!

The culture of the place, as a result, is very territorial with little collaboration. People will step on each other to do a sale. But the execution capability is poor.

DHR will hire consultants (always out of competing firms; they never grow their own) and often give them fancy titles to attract them.

DHR is now run by someone who had never done a search but is the son of the owner. Again, this is unusual. It is a PR machine: there are internal and external people who do nothing but PR for the firm. DHR lies about its market position. It claims to be the 5th largest in the US, but what about Spencer Stuart, Heidricks, Russell Reynolds, Korn Ferry, Egon Zehnder, CT Partners--there are at least six bigger than DHR!

Don’t join (or hire) them blind. Do your research. Look for the track record. Speak to any of the many, many consultants around the world who used to work for them. Just do a LinkedIn search for former DHR consultants and reach out to them and ask them for their story.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on banking other people's money!

Internship

Research Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat atmosphere, excellent support system, project variety

ConsLow advancement opportunities past the initial job after internship concludes

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DHR/Jobplex

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou could potentially make a lot of money if you move up within the company and there isn't a ton of supervision if you like working individually. Associates are friendly and easy to work with. Top company!

ConsUpper management did not communicate well with one another. It was sort of disorganized. Not my ideal work environment or what I really expected. Work becomes repetitive. Also, an unpaid internship.

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExciting, fast-paced. Lots of new clients all the time.

ConsThe benefits and compensation are slightly under market.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote rising stars, and offer more competitive bonus structure.

Fastest Growing Search Firm

ProsEntrepreneurial, Collaborative, Attracting Rock Star Partners

ConsResource constrained, better global integration, invest in Partners and Associates for retention

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove business processes that drives Partner productivity and revenue generation

A very pleasant place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe environment inside DHR is that of a very tight niche family of co-workers, both regionally and globally. They have chosen great individuals that are assisting in the growth of the company. Great place to work.

ConsMust have a strong passion for recruiting. A lot of cold calling. Every day is drastically different in terms of the task at hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to expand into the foreign markets, Asia.

Entrepreneurial culture with a great deal of room for personal growth

Vice President (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros1. I have had an opportunity to work very closely with senior consultants and company leadership
    2. Very hands off approach to management which I love. I think autonomy is key to success in this business.
    3. Global leadership are inspirational individuals who lead by example
    4. Global platform that has allowed me to capture new opportunities in the US and overseas
    5. Leadership have a long term outlook on gaining competitive advantage, but are still entrepreneurial enough to grab opportunities when they present themselves
    6. The consultants are very down to earth and unpretentious, and the associates are generally treated with respect
    7. Flexible work hours and a lot more public holidays given than is expected of a private company

Cons1. Support staff and associate pool are underpaid when compared to our competition
    2. Benefits are limited, and the health insurance in particular is sub-par
    3. Though the company wants to ensure we keep a lean, entrepreneurial structure, we need more controls across the organization in order to maintain our growth targets globally.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct proper evaluations of all employees, and build a company that is less focused on big billers. The long term ramifications of high turnover far outweigh the potential profits of a handful of individuals.

Right for the entrepreneurial type.

Executive Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you have a book of business the payouts are quite generous by contrast to other search firms.

ConsIf you don't have a lot of business you won't make any money.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in training and promoting solid research professionals.

High turnover, churn and burn mentality, use cheap young labor to make consultants rich

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

ProsSome consultants are industry experts who have some good clients. They showed me how to develop a good client relationship. High volume dialing helped to get me familiar with talking to C level individuals. Exposure to a variety of industries and job functions during your first year.

ConsFamily run business breeds nepotism. Every week I was learning about 'who was related to who' and 'who went to college with the CEO's son'. Arbitrary promotions of the worst employees yet rockstar recruiters were not promoted so they left the company and got real jobs in corporate. Mgmt temps you with the hopes of becoming a 'Consultant' which is where the money is...however, very few if any consultants start out as associates so its misrepresentation. No visibility even when you are the lead associate on assignments. Not friendly to people who don't want to work 60 hours a week for low pay. Number of years of experience, knowledge of the business world, and expertise in the sector you worked in were not rewarded. All the consultants and management cared about was filling the seat and making as many calls per day as you could. Performance evaluations are nonexistent and consist of the VP asking you 4 questions on a form. If you do not link up with a successful consultant, you will not be valued by the company. So basically, you better work in the Chicago office or you will not be successful. Also, bonuses are very small...typically 1-3% however was promised much more. No other performance criteria are tracked except fills so as long as jobs got filled, management thought you were successful. Promotions consist of changing your title with no increase in salary an no real change in duties. No HR department, an administrative assistant is now the HR Director and has no previous experience managing a large company's HR functions. Ethical issues in recruiting and in the way they deal with employees. Consultants consistently lie to clients about who they have and where they are in the search process. A lot of resume recycling on searches that are similar just to fill reports for clients. Sometimes the candidates on reports wouldn't even know they were being submitted! Some consultants well known for screaming at associates, degrading them, and calling/emailing them at all hours of the night. I once was told that the only women who were successful in the company were single with no children. A horribly run company who makes money inspire of itself. One day someone will file a lawsuit and they will be exposed. Clients are not top tier...some are...Retail Practice was successful but other areas were basically getting any client that would give us work. Churn and burn mentality leads to high turnover and burnout of employees. Benefits are horrible...they prey on young kids who have no experience and don't know any better. Very immature culture at this firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a real HR department, establish a real training program, establish a real culture. Create reward system that matches what employees are evaluated on...

Worked for DHR International? Contribute to the Community!