DIRECTV

DIRECTV Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White

Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros:
  • "This company also provides great benefits with a good vacation and time off plan"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Good Benefits; Pay on similar scale to similar jobs; Everyone enjoys free TV; Decent company culture"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "For me the work-life balance was untenable, because I was on call all the time"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Long hours and have to work hard for a work/life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

DIRECTV beats cable in more ways than one

El Segundo, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time

ProsThis is a review of the professional corporate office, not the call centers or contractors, or installers (which are different things entirely).

DIRECTV is a surprisingly energetic place, in which individuals are not only encouraged to grow, but where ideas are actively solicited and employee engagement and contentment is cultivated like a cash-crop.

This positive energy comes from the employees. DIRECTV has a great bunch of people here, who not only are excited about what they do, but who also are fans of the company and what it does. And the workforce is a great example of strength through diversity of all kind.

Beyond that there is a very vibrant atmosphere of collaboration and "teamwork" that permeates all levels of the company. Projects tend to be free of any pride of ownership, and everyone is able to contribute without worry.

Professional development is also supported and employees routinely move into new positions within the company.

This supportive and progressive environment extends all the way to the corporate level, as DIRECTV contributes not only money but actively encourages employees to volunteer in the community. Each department has an annual volunteer day where the group goes out and helps out by planting trees, working with schools, building community gardens, helping out at a Food bank, etc.

Working for a company that is so active in giving back in a tangible way is a fantastic benefit, and one that speaks very highly about everyone involved.

There are also several important quality-of-life perks available for employees as well, such as an on-site cafe that provides surprisingly good food at discount prices for employees, an on-site full gym, walking distance from a light-rail station, and enlightened flex and work-from-home policies. Oh, and the complementary DIRECTV service is a really nice cherry on top.

ConsAs good a place as DIRECTV is to work, it is still a corporate environment, and as such there will be some politics, pettiness, jealousy, and inertia.

Cliques are unavoidable, but happily rare and often very small.

However, the main annoyance is how department managers are so ready to embrace and implement whatever new-age management philosophy happens to come around, regardless of whether it is relevant or effective. The zeal with which these strategies are applied can lead to problems and misunderstandings, such as applying NPS strategies to systems that are non-competitive and internal. The time spent in team meetings prescribed by these management styles is time taken away from actual work, and so some productivity suffers.

Lastly, while the company does provide a full suite of benefits, the Medical and Dental coverage is amazingly poor. The coverage provided by Blue Cross has degraded to the point where Obamacare is not only a viable, but possibly more attractive choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementA more selective application of management fads would do wonders for our daily routine!

Solid company. Good opportunity.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong benefits package. Good training & promotes from within.

ConsGrowth opportunities limited if your schedule flexibility is limited in any way.

Good Place to work

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood live balance, well organized, good training, company going places.

ConsUnless your manager promotes you lack of promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure management promotes within first before going outside.

Intern Software Engineer

I worked at DIRECTV

ProsLots of nice people
Great benefits

ConsRed Tape in workplace
Slow management and deploys

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's too much hidden from interns

The Worse Job I Ever Had!

Customer Retention Agent (Current Employee)
Huntington, WV

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI can't think of a single one. If you are a good liar, this is the job for you.

ConsI worked for Directv for three plus years without missing a single day, was never late and endured the summer without air with the windows sealed and all the computers generating heat. The winters were equally miserable, so hot it was sickening. I actually watched people throw up on the call floor and in the elevator. People would come in sick for fear of losing their job. This made everyone else sick. On top of all this, we had to endure all the screaming, swearing and threatening customers. The supervisors refused to take these calls and if you hung up on one of these demonic customers, you would be fired. Nearly all calls were monitored. If someone wanted to cancel, you were instructed to try and upsell the customer and disregard their complaint; try to force people to buy additional services they did not want and to lie about the charges. I had to have surgery and planned it for my "vacation" time. After, I was released from the hospital, I brought a letter from my doctor, releasing me to return to work. Directv would not accept the letter and I was forced to sit in the lobby, call my doctor out of surgery and wait until he could speak with someone in human resources. When I was finally able to get the doctor to the phone, I went to the call floor. Five minutes into my shift, I was told by my supervisor we had to go "downstairs" for a meeting. The "meeting" was to advise me I was fired and told I could not return to the floor to pick up my property and to wait and someone would clean out my desk and bring it to me. This was the thanks I got for my "loyality". I was told I was no longer an asset but a liability. I was almost fired once for wishing someone a "Merry Christmas" and told "never to do it again as people found it offensive". This didn't stop Directv from taking advantage of Christmas offering "special deals". It was okay to wear a satanic tee shirt with an image boldly printed but Christian symbols were strictly forbidden, even a small cross on a chain. I'll leave this interpretation up to you to decide. If you believe I am exaggerating, check with Workforce WV and verify what I am saying. They have this reputation and they are hesitant to send people any longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating employees like dirt. Word gets around and in this small community sooner or later you will run out of people willing to work at this insane asylum while taking your's and the customer abuse.

Marketing Coordinator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor

ProsThey're successful enough to make the mistakes and tests that they're doing.

ConsHigh Turnover rate - at least in my department. Way too corporate.

Interesting work

Manager (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent benefits and interesting work

ConsDealing with drama from office politics

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting butt kissers that spend more time finding ways to suck up than actually doing their job.

Great company to work for, inadequate leadership in many areas!

Senior Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)
El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

ProsGood environment, fun company to work for, good benefits and compensation.

ConsLeadership is antiquated in their methods of dealing with ongoing trends in technology. Many people in Leadership positions in IT have been there since DirecTV started and are Hughes layovers who have not seen the "day of light" since the early 1990's when it comes to improving systems and processes. Very, very "old school", archaic, and political. Many who come from superior companies find it difficult to succeed here due to these challenges and leave after a short period of time. They want to hire the best, but the "old-timers" don't want to expend the dollars needed to attract top talent, as it will exceed their salaries, which will never happen, as they don't know how to think progressively. Hence the reason DirecTV has the challenges it does. Also the Recruiting Leadership Management Team is extremely weak, and not in touch with changing trends or the marketplace. People fear HR and the retributions of trying to make things better, as when you try, you fear for your job, as new ideas are put to the back burner more times than not. If it were not for a fun place to work and a fairly decent product, I would not recommend this place to work to anyone. Do your homework before taking an offer!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementReview what your long term managers in IT have done recently, and ask them on what types of significant improvements they have accomplished in the past 12 months to make systems and their teams better, and then to quantify it. Top Executives, including "Undercover Boss" Mike White, should reach out to the rank and file and find out what is really going on and how people feel about their long term managers who have been there forever, as most are not happy, but will not say anything in fear of losing their job.

Floating leadership and a lack of direction

Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFree DIRECTV to staff members. Good compensation and job security for those lucky enough to be regarded as valued team members. Provided an opportunity to branch out if you took initiative.

ConsThe media services division I was a part of had very little sense of urgency or direction. Management was floating, which is why most of the department I was with dissolved and moved to other locations. Trying to get anything done or motivating people was like pulling teeth. A revolving door of extremely temporary contractors for creative services also lead to an array of problems. Also experienced a lack of common & basic respect and even racism from middle to senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication and contractor/employee treatment was some of the worst I've experienced. There was no value placed on committed and talented individuals. I believe many issues may have been rectified during a restructure but some serious problem individuals remained in senior management positions.

No Opportunity for Experienced Workers or Conversion

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFree Coffee. Great place if you are from India.

ConsExtreme levels of micro management Employee managers are fresh out of college with little or no real world experience. Focus is on small details with no understanding of the big picture. Contractors are second class citizens. Expertise is wasted here. Endless meetings with no one willing to make a decision. Level upon level of useless managers whose sole job is to delay progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some experienced PMs and listen to their advice.

Worked for DIRECTV? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DIRECTV reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DIRECTV CEO Michael D. (Mike) White. All 450 reviews posted anonymously by DIRECTV employees.