DIRECTV

DIRECTV Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White

Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros:
  • "This company also provides great benefits with a good vacation and time off plan"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Good Benefits; Pay on similar scale to similar jobs; Everyone enjoys free TV; Decent company culture"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours and have to work hard for a work/life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Starting salary and long hours seem to account for the buik of the high turnover rate for new hires"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Floating leadership and a lack of direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFree DIRECTV to staff members. Good compensation and job security for those lucky enough to be regarded as valued team members. Provided an opportunity to branch out if you took initiative.

ConsThe media services division I was a part of had very little sense of urgency or direction. Management was floating, which is why most of the department I was with dissolved and moved to other locations. Trying to get anything done or motivating people was like pulling teeth. A revolving door of extremely temporary contractors for creative services also lead to an array of problems. Also experienced a lack of common & basic respect and even racism from middle to senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication and contractor/employee treatment was some of the worst I've experienced. There was no value placed on committed and talented individuals. I believe many issues may have been rectified during a restructure but some serious problem individuals remained in senior management positions.

Perspective of a Satellite Install Technician Level 1.

Satellite Install Technician Level I (Current Employee)
San Leandro, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits:
This company offers a complete benefits package--dental, medical, vision, employee stock, etc.--at reasonably competitive rates as compared to other corporate entities from various unrelated fields.

Recruitment:
Recruiting employs a thorough screening process of work-hardening assessment, background checks, and alcohol & drug screening to establish a minimum level of suitability in new hires for the type of work involved. The job of installer can be physically demanding and mentally challenging and necessitates employment of personnel who perform their tasks without impaired bodies or minds.

Training:
DIRECTV recently revamped its new hire training model which is a mixture of two (2) months classroom work and one (1) month or more of field training. The company provides Satellite Install Technicians with a company vehicle to take home and all the basic tools they need to get started once launched from training.

The material may be characterized as having varying degrees of complexity interspersed with practical in class and field training. Prior to the development of the current training model, New Hires were only attached to mentors and placed in the field with nominal training. A periodic "up-training" and re-certification schedule has been instituted to foster the highest industry standard of in-house, corporate Satellite Install Technician and Service Technician workforce.

Training is paid and leads to SBCA certification.

Administrative Support:
Staff are professional, mostly friendly, and available for interaction to a reasonable extent. The atmosphere of interactions with upper management are positive, generally light, informal, and characterized by low intensity with an emphasis on fostering productivity. There is no sense of pervading, oppressive oversight as with other non-corporate, metrics-based businesses.

Value-building of employees:
The combination of DIRECTV Technician training and highly technical field experience is a viable recruiting portal for lateral entry into related technical utility fields and trade labor unions such as The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E).

ConsWages:
Expected final salary compensation system is unclear to the new hire as trainees are paid an hourly minimum wage, and field technicians are paid using a piece rate scale. Actual hourly rate for technicians can vary and salary estimates are more meaningful when extrapolated out to the monthly or annual mean.

Training:
Training sites host newly hired employees from various cities in their respective regions. Some trainees may experience daily one-way commutes of from one-hour to three hours depending on the region's 9-to-5 work commute patterns.

Work hardening:
The nature of the work for the certified field employee may be characterized as moderately to strenuously labor intensive in addition to the analytical aspects related to designing new installations, and troubleshooting existing installations. Older employees, and employees who are "out of shape" should take extra measure to properly condition their bodies for the physical aspects of the work. Employees who are hired by DIRECTV though on the cusp of assessment margins especially should institute a personal regimen of flexibility and strength training or they risk on the job injury.

Work/Life balance:
This is definitely NOT a forty (40) hour work week/"9-to-5" job. There are a lot of "moving parts" to absorb and put into practice and so the length of work days for the new hire can be difficult to balance with a satisfying family life or childcare schedule as the new technician adjusts to field work. Unpredicted changes in staffing, upsurges in product demand, improperly assessed work order descriptions from dispatchers or completion time estimates from field technicians can result in frequent delayed knocking-off times from work. Starting salary and long hours seem to account for the buik of the high turnover rate for new hires. There appears to be a typical average retention of around one (1) employee in eight (8) over the course of a five (5) year period.

Job dispatching:
Jobs are primarily dispatched from a single, national third-party dispatch. Work can also be dispatched at the local level from regional offices and field supervisors. The national dispatch usually lacks sufficient familiarity with service areas to assess the proximity of work orders to field technicians' home locus or of field technicians commute between jobs. Cross-town commutes in some areas are fraught with highly-dense urban traffic and parking that is difficult to locate.

Great company to work for, inadequate leadership in many areas!

Senior Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)

I worked at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

ProsGood environment, fun company to work for, good benefits and compensation.

ConsLeadership is antiquated in their methods of dealing with ongoing trends in technology. Many people in Leadership positions in IT have been there since DirecTV started and are Hughes layovers who have not seen the "day of light" since the early 1990's when it comes to improving systems and processes. Very, very "old school", archaic, and political. Many who come from superior companies find it difficult to succeed here due to these challenges and leave after a short period of time. They want to hire the best, but the "old-timers" don't want to expend the dollars needed to attract top talent, as it will exceed their salaries, which will never happen, as they don't know how to think progressively. Hence the reason DirecTV has the challenges it does. Also the Recruiting Leadership Management Team is extremely weak, and not in touch with changing trends or the marketplace. People fear HR and the retributions of trying to make things better, as when you try, you fear for your job, as new ideas are put to the back burner more times than not. If it were not for a fun place to work and a fairly decent product, I would not recommend this place to work to anyone. Do your homework before taking an offer!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementReview what your long term managers in IT have done recently, and ask them on what types of significant improvements they have accomplished in the past 12 months to make systems and their teams better, and then to quantify it. Top Executives, including "Undercover Boss" Mike White, should reach out to the rank and file and find out what is really going on and how people feel about their long term managers who have been there forever, as most are not happy, but will not say anything in fear of losing their job.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not hard work, but you have to put forth plenty of effort in order to stay on top.

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

ProsYou receive free tv programming, work life balance is great if you're in upper management. If you build a great team around you everything will be a breeze.

ConsMany moving parts, complex issues jams up processes if you don't have a forward thinking manager or director that gives you decision power.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to lower level team members more, especially the front line members.

Solid company. Good opportunity.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStrong benefits package. Good training & promotes from within.

ConsGrowth opportunities limited if your schedule flexibility is limited in any way.

Good Place to work

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood live balance, well organized, good training, company going places.

ConsUnless your manager promotes you lack of promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure management promotes within first before going outside.

Work was different every job some easy some very difficult

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DIRECTV

ProsThe job is the same every house but also different
But the can be very exciting if you enjoy working with electronics and communicating with customers

ConsCan be very stressful, the work can also be very labor intense, climbing on tall houses is never fun, and you don't know what you're walking into

Technical Experience

Senior Technical Support Manager (Current Employee)
Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProfessional, technologically advanced Company, with strong compassion to employees

ConsOver loaded with so many responsibilities

Advice to Senior Managementhire more staff

If you want to be underutilized and disrespected, DIRECTV Digital Media Group is the place for you.

Content Strategist (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood work/life balance - you don't stay too late at work.
You work with some decent people, some of them really talented and underappreciated.

ConsWhere do I begin? In my many years of employment, I've never seen a more disorganized and hopeless organization than the Digital Media Group of DIRECTV. While the upper-level, executive management from VP level and above has been excellent, mid-level management has no idea what they are doing and fails to provide any direction, then berates the employees when things don't get done in the way they want. Some managers and directors are so rude and unprofessional that they will tell people their work looks like s--t, then speak horribly about them behind their backs at actual business meetings. One manager even proclaimed that she would do whatever she could to "humiliate" anyone who didn't listen to her. Content strategists are not given the freedom to give any actual "strategic" input, and their ideas are quickly dismissed by managers with questionable intellect. What's left of the morale at this company is rapidly declining and people are leaving left and right, on their own will, because they know they deserve better. If they lure you in with the promise of going full-time after 18 months, they're lying. They hire contractors and sever ties with them after 18 months because it's cheap to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employees. Learn to hold your tongue when insulting them in professional settings.

Started out great, but then they find out your a contractor and you're treated like cattle...

Project Manager (Current Employee)
El Segundo, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV as a contractor for more than a year

ProsEngineering teams are great to work with.

ConsePMO is misguided and has no idea what a PMO should look like. No true management exists and everything is reactionary.
If you're a contractor, you will be treated like one.
If you're a woman with a voice, don't expect to be there for very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some...

Worked for DIRECTV? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DIRECTV reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DIRECTV CEO Michael D. (Mike) White. All 454 reviews posted anonymously by DIRECTV employees.