DIRECTV

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White

Michael D. (Mike) White

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome place to work!

Product Designer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at DIRECTV as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFun entertaining environment, great people, challenging workloads.

ConsIt's a corporation that has too many layers of approvals to get anything done in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Awesome company to work! I love working here!

Senior Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

ProsWork, life balance is good.
Plenty of coaching, intelligent co-workers, hands on training.
Great salaries.
Amazing benefits.
Fun work place. Great location, heart of NYC
Great growth potential.
Great work hours.
Constantly trained and up to date on latest software, technologies, and services.
Networking is great.
Outstanding Discount + Perks + Gym membership.
Management is friendly.
Very successful company
Great to talk about with friends and family.
PLUS Free DIRECTV service

ConsNone. The companies culture and people are amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHardly anything to say anything bad. They think everything very detailed for us. I am grateful.

Good and then not so good.

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThere were some genuine and talented people with whom I had the privilege of working with in the middle management ranks.

ConsThere was a lot of mismanagement and disorganization within the Direct Media Group at DIRECTV, and an overall lack of any positive morale from the senior staff. Arbitrary firing of contract employees as well as absolutely terrible treatment towards non staff employees, even discrimination from some of the senior staff and no form of protection. Possibly the worst senior staff in my past 10 year 8 agency freelance career.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe disconnect between lower rank employees and senior staff was very evident and zero interest in encouraging integrity with fellow coworkers.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you want to be underutilized and disrespected, DIRECTV Digital Media Group is the place for you.

Content Strategist (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood work/life balance - you don't stay too late at work.
You work with some decent people, some of them really talented and underappreciated.

ConsWhere do I begin? In my many years of employment, I've never seen a more disorganized and hopeless organization than the Digital Media Group of DIRECTV. While the upper-level, executive management from VP level and above has been excellent, mid-level management has no idea what they are doing and fails to provide any direction, then berates the employees when things don't get done in the way they want. Some managers and directors are so rude and unprofessional that they will tell people their work looks like s--t, then speak horribly about them behind their backs at actual business meetings. One manager even proclaimed that she would do whatever she could to "humiliate" anyone who didn't listen to her. Content strategists are not given the freedom to give any actual "strategic" input, and their ideas are quickly dismissed by managers with questionable intellect. What's left of the morale at this company is rapidly declining and people are leaving left and right, on their own will, because they know they deserve better. If they lure you in with the promise of going full-time after 18 months, they're lying. They hire contractors and sever ties with them after 18 months because it's cheap to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employees. Learn to hold your tongue when insulting them in professional settings.

Good benefits and okay work environment; the vibe is dull and lifeless

Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits. Competitive salary, free DIRECTV, great gym discounts, stable company.
Within my group, there are very good people, and a good relationship between the designers.
Work / life balance is VERY good. I rarely have to work late. Sometimes, though, I have too little work to do and I wish I had a better balance.

ConsAlmost no emphasis on career development. They don't train or mentor at all, and there's minimal support for new people. Low morale. Leadership within my group seems clueless and lacks vision. The environment is stale, dull, and stagnant. I'm in a design team and there's 0 creative vibes. There are some smart people, but the energy levels are low and it's a rare person who seems happy and enthusiastic about the work or the products we make.

Extremely hierarchical and heavily political. No transparancy, most of us don't know what's going on, it's like the leaders have this web of secrecy and schemes to get what they want. Very little recognition for good work that you do. I once won an award and received recognition and that was nice; but even doing amazing work there isn't a sense that anything has changed for you, though that might be the case in any really large company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach by example; don't just tell people what to do, be the example. Do the work you're advocating.

Good company but stay away from the operations group in panamericana

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

ProsFast passed environment, ideas are welcome, wonderful senior management (svp & above)

Cons"Leadership" more concerned of own agenda than the company's

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose your leaders better

No Career growth, no advancement opportunity, lacks direction for upper management

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent Benefits, free service that's about it!

ConsSevere under pay, no training, depending on what group you land in...no management guidance or direction. No employee development.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees more so you don't have revolving doors, management is horrible and needs a good clean up at least in certain groups.

Great company, great environment.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat environment, excellent for people looking for top tech company.

ConsVery hard to grow in the company

DIRECTV, great work environment, people and benefits.

Specialist, Project Management (Current Employee)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDIRECTV is a great place to work. Lots of great people. Management is very flexible and open to dialogue. They offer a comprehensive benefits package.

ConsPay packages I feel are on the lowside. Also, depending on personal ambition, it feels like it can take a while to move up in the company. Performance is rewarded but I feel it could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for more internal promotion and continue to develop talent. I feel the company is doing a good job at the moment, but can be improved by giving more direction at lower levels.

management is resistant to change and sometimes distant. However the company is outstanding

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBEAUTIFUL product that sells by itself. This is a statement acknowledging superior technical implementation

Consthe product... sells by itself. this is a statement acknowledging superior technical implementations... with marketing a bit on the clueless side...

Advice to Senior Managementbeing there for so long... it's no excuse to abandon the trenches

Worked for DIRECTV? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DIRECTV reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DIRECTV CEO Michael D. (Mike) White. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by DIRECTV employees.