DIRECTV

Updated February 26, 2015
3.4

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White
Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros
  • This company also provides great benefits with a good vacation and time off plan (in 44 reviews)

• Good benefits and a strong commitment to doing things the right way (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a bit challenging but that goes along with a strong company (in 20 reviews)

• Starting salary and long hours seem to account for the buik of the high turnover rate for new hires (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of work and hours. Managers nickel and dime you.

Current Employee - Installation Technician in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Installation Technician in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free cable and vehicle. Not stuck in one place

Cons

Long hours, low pay, hard to get promoted, unrealistic goals, management disconnected from field.

Pay your employees what they're worth

Don't bother, find a company who cares about people, not JUST the bottom line.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Missoula, MT

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

Money is ok, benefits seem great (until you have to pay a 3,000 dollar deductible. Then you realize they suck.

Cons

The training class makes it seem like it's so much fun, that there is some stress but that they are all about keeping their employees happy and that it's NOT a sales job. As soon as you hit the floor after training everything changes. Sales are pushed everyday, if you don't make stats you have to improve by the next month or your done. It is constantly encouraged for you to learn how to say things in a positive manner so the customer thinks they're getting a good deal when they're actually being ripped off. It is said many times during meetings that if you give a customer credit you are taking money out of your own pocket. It's a tactic to make you think that you shouldn't give a customer credit when they obviously should be because something was done wrong or they were charged incorrectly, sometimes for hundreds of dollars.

Please don't call a dog a cat. It's a sales job and it should be called one. If you want people to stay make them feel like they are doing some good.

Tempe Dispatch the Worst

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

You get small incentives atleast

Cons

The are the worst call center I ever worked for! Backstabbing Managers with favorites

Practice being professional

Interesting

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

Opportunity to be condescending, rude and aggressive toward other employees and get away with it.

Cons

They expect you to work more than what your paid. Over load everyone with work to the point of extreme frustration and results in over multi tasking, which leads to poor performance and constant mistakes.

POTENTIAL FOR EMPLOYER EXCELLENCE SQUANDERED BY ARROGANCE AND GREED

Former Employee - Technical Services Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Services Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1) The (meager) checks don't bounce. (But you virtually always receive the paper ones later than their designated pay date. This is one of several examples of Management knowing the right thing to do and intentionally choosing NOT to do it.)

2) To supplement below-fair market wages, (dwindling) benefits are provided.

3) The work is interesting and may even be fulfilling if you can parry what seems like the relentless effort of Management to make it tedious.

4) Everyone is REQUIRED to behave civilly in interactions with others. This is a major provision, since civility seems to be contrary to the first nature of a significant number of people here.

Cons

1) Even with huge and steadily-growing profits, the greedy, megalomaniacal Management continually requires more and more work from fewer people, while simultaneously whittling away at wages, benefits, and perquisites that those people have long had.

2) Favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism have ramped up, in recent years, to the point where they have become the only way to advance. Consequently, Management's people-managing skills are nil. To them, positions of authority are merely places from which to comfort their friends and afflict their 'enemies'.

3) As a rule, the functions in the company that people are chosen for have a direct correlation with the dominant uninformed stereotypes about the race, ethnicity, age, gender, etc. that those people are identified with. As a rule, within each functional group, women are subordinate to men. The height to which you rise in the company depends heavily on this. For most positions of power or privilege, the best person, as gleaned from Management's ultimate choices, is VIRTUALLY ALWAYS the most-Nordic-looking of available males who speak English without a foreign accent. From a look at the results, it's apparent that Management has a social agenda that rivals or exceeds its business agenda. In an official declaration, it came as close to saying that it does as it probably thought it could without leaving itself legally exposed. And an evaluation of the output of many of those chosen supports the perception that Management cares more about WHO does a job than about HOW WELL it gets done. Among the 'chosen ones', the Peter Principle is alive and thriving at DirecTV.

These observations are worth noting because: A) they can be objectively observed; B) it's the kind of information about a company that is not easy to come by; C) they are things that anyone who is considering working there or patronizing it would probably want to know beforehand; and D) IT MATTERS for lots of reasons.

4) A deceptive practice employed by the company is to hire people with extensive experience for positions working in capacities that are NOT mainly in their areas of expertise. This way, it can enlist people for much less than the true market value of their labor. After the people are hired, they almost certainly will be assigned, at some point, to do work that the bulk of their expertise is in -- with little or no increase in compensation, of course.

Although DirecTV's engagement in some of these practices does not make the company unique among American businesses, it does make it no less wrong for doing them.

Clearly, beneficence doesn't come easy for you. Otherwise, for as long as things have gone as well as they have for you, it would have manifested by now. But, if you are at all capable of it, then you're long overdue to show some of it to ALL of the people who actually earn most of the money you keep for yourselves.

ALSO: Come out from your provincial, culturally-sequestered pseudo-comfort zone and experience the rest of the world! I assure you: it really is a lot less scary out here than it must appear to be from your 19th Century perspective.

Horrible

I have been working at DIRECTV (more than a year)

Pros

Free Tv Free Tv Free Tv

Cons

act like robots. Team leaders get reports on everthing you do and everything is put under a microscope

Not recommended unless your job is your life

I worked at DIRECTV full-time

Pros

Directv does have a good pay structure.

Cons

You won't be there long enough to reap rewards with this company unless you are a very tough individual.

Terrible Employer

Former Employee - ACE in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - ACE in Dallas, TX

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home was great, you can get free Directv but if you cannot get tv where you live you aren't compensated the difference.

Cons

I was re-hired, they called me, and asked me to come back, I was offered 3000 a month, however I never made more than 1500 even after commission. Commission checks were often late, incorrect, cut in half, or taken away. The systems were horrible, constantly going down. My entire team was promoted to higher positions except for me and a handful of others because we were given broken equipment and missed too much work. I worked for Directv for over 4 years, consistently met my sales goal, excellent reviews from my supervisor, yet I was written up constantly, they fired over half of the team I was hired on originally and then we were moved to 5 different teams in a single year.

Realize who your true stars are by their overall performance and customer reviews and not just by sales. Get new systems, rio is constantly crashing, I upgraded to 100 mbps with Verizon Fios and was told my internet was "too slow" and that is why myself and half of my team were either let go or not promoted.

Everyone's afraid of the merger, not a good place to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits (but might change when AT&T takes over), nice new gym and cafe in El Segundo headquarters. The cafe is open to the public but gives employee discounts to staff with badges.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, base pay is lower than industry standard, leadership can be cutthroat and manages poorly. Certain members of management create hostile and toxic work environments, instead of using their positions to inspire and motivate their staff. Employee well-being is treated as unimportant, even though the company gives lip-service with staff on-site wellness and "green" programs.
    Fear is running rampant with upcoming takeover and declining subscribers.

Care as much about your people as you do about profits.

Fast paced, Good products, Managers lacking leadership

Former Employee - Hardware Test Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Test Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free parking and free coffee

Cons

I worked for DirecTV as a subcontractor. I worked in the hardware IHD (In Home Distribution) department testing LNBs as a Validation Hardware Test Engineer. The testing was far from validating the hardware since their process was very low quality and the tests were always changing constantly (and weren't being documented in the Test Procedures). Their management is lacking leadership, the senior management aren't updating their Test Procedures like their supposed to, so you have to keep a notepad that has all your notes in it that you have to refer to. There are over a dozen different tests. Really? Management don't listen to you as a worker to help improve their process which is lacking very much. About half of the time some of the co-workers do not have a sense or don't care to help others.