DIRECTV

Updated August 18, 2014

3.2

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White
Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros
  • This company also provides great benefits with a good vacation and time off plan (in 32 reviews)

• Good benefits and a strong commitment to doing things the right way (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and have to work hard for a work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Starting salary and long hours seem to account for the buik of the high turnover rate for new hires (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Team Leader - Sales Rep

Former Employee - Team Leader - Sales Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

Working with customers because I really enjoy people (plus closing a sale has just always been easy for me) and working in the retail store with employees and mangers.

Cons

Owner did not know how to run his business nor people. Even with a DTV signed contact of hourly & commission upon hire, manager deviated from legal contact without notice nor anything in writing. There is no employee handbook, no manual given to reps on set compliance, therefore owner can send a sales rep home if no sales made 3 days in a roll if owner chooses. This isn't told upon hire nor that if a rep missed any work schedule hours in that pay period, commissions earned were not paid - only hours recorded on timesheet. The training is ok, but it's provided by owners that once had their own stores which were taken from them, and sent back to retrain -- yet THEY are training new sales reps. Turnover is massive due to pay scale and working many hours 6-7 days a week, unethical procedures, poor feedback, "rule" and work schedule changes very last minute with no regard to the sales reps responsibilities outside of work. Upon hire all reps told advancement opportunities to be an owner yet there is NO opportunity to advance; only to give sales/installs away that a rep earned according to contact. There are no residuals. Bad setup of a third party affiliate for DTV and reflects on not just DTV but retail stores as well. I recommend NOT working for an owner but DO recommend a direct DTV opportunity.

Must have leaders within your organization to BE leaders in order to have real teamwork & success for all - not just an owners bank account. Need policies and procedures signed along with the legal contacts all sign upon hire. Need better recruiting staff that have experience in finding good sales - that have ANY experience in recruiting. HR is out of compliance as well as payroll procedures according to law. MUST keep your people happy to keep any company from such high turnover. Too much time training new people day in and day out for anyone to make a profit & succeed. But new reps can't make quota of $400/week, anything under goes to the owner and then newbies quit because they have families. Get it together or your third party affiliate company of DTV will be a thing of the past as will the unprofessional & unethical reps you keep happy.

Shame Shame on you, leading-on new reps with bills and families to believe the hype just to watch them fail without any conscience.

***ONLY ONE STAR FOR THIS NORTH SIDE HOUSTON BUSINESS - GREENSPOINT***

Poor Middle Management

Former Employee - Production Control Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Production Control Analyst in Denver, CO

Pros

Excellent co-workers - nice office accomodations.

Cons

Upper management cares little for employees -- too much micro-management and no accountability for middle managers. No technical career path -- the only way to advance is in management. Little to no professional development in an extremely high stress environment with no work/life balance.

Take care of your people, - they take care of you. Make rea,l substantive changes - don't just add processes for the purposes of CYA.

Great meeting new people and selling this great Satellite TV service

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Great team. Everyone there is well motivated to do the best job possible.

Cons

Working 6 days a week with only 1 day off can can make you really tired after 3-4 in the field. In addition to working my normal shifts, I have been asked to help automate the office by writing an Apple App to help calculate customer fees and have yet to receive any verbal or monetary compensation for my extra work

Split up shifts so that everyone can get at least 2 days off. There are enough employees to have 2 sales representatives at each store location. Some stores, however, can get by with just 1 due to lack of traffic.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CMG Sales Rep

Former Employee - Account Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Denver, CO

Pros

Good pay. Friendly coworkers. And that's about it, nothing else really good about Directv. Which is pretty sad isn't it?

Cons

Horrible managers. Got yelled at my last week for refusing to convince a woman to give her SSN. Job is Degrading for someone with a degree. Told I would be doing "promotional campaigns for Fortune 500 companies" when I was just a salesperson. Company didn't even pay me for my last week and my lawyer had to email the boss to get my paycheck. Horrible place to work

Go back to school a learn how to manage

Terrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Louisville, KY

Pros

None don't work here ever it's bad

Cons

Don't do it they treat you bad

None

You have to be desperate to work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

You get free DIRECTV, decent campus environment, great employee gym onsite, and even the food service is excellent.

Cons

The place is very political. It takes 3-7 people to get a decision made. There are way too many meetings. The worst part is this is an environment of blame. It is horrible. I could not take the place. I was lucky, I interviewed with several companies, and one came back to me to see if I liked DIRECTV. They must have known what it would be like for me--I resigned and took that job. For people that like to play games, and do nothing of significance. This will be a great place to play. There are many other dysfunctional people there that enjoy the same game.

Personal accountability should become priority. The whole blame culture should not be acceptable. If someone is not doing their job, call them out. Figure out if it is lack of training or lack of ambition. It is not acceptable to throw an intranet site at someone and say read 30 documents and figure it out. That is not training. There is not internal vision communicated to the lower levels. That needs to happen.

didnt

Pros

like this place management was

Cons

into picking favorite if you weren't

a favorite find a new place to work

Freaking Worthless Company

Current Employee - Install Technician  in  Lacey, WA
    Current Employee - Install Technician in Lacey, WA

Pros

A company Van and free TV

Cons

They tell you that the TECHS are number one to everything this company does. Which is a load of you know what. The compensation is Garbage for the work the TECHS do. They say they care about family but really don't, lol making us work 8-12, 12-4, then they add 4-8, and because they can't keep quality employees go to 6 days a week.. Yeah you really care. Just an all around terrible experience. I would never recommend anyone working here!

Take care of your employees

Oppressive Work Enviroment

Former Employee - Back Office  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Back Office in Boise, ID

Pros

Health and retirement benefits and free TV Service.

Cons

Management- runs as an old boys club. Horrible communication with employees.

One of the worst experience i had

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Learned a lot as i was doing a job that i have never done before.

Cons

Lied about the role and responsibility.

Be upfront to candidates about the what there responsiblities would be. Not everyone will do anything for money.

Worked for DIRECTV? Contribute to the Community!