DIRECTV Reviews

695 reviews filtered by
3.4
DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White
Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros
  • This company also provides great benefits with a good vacation and time off plan (in 44 reviews)

• Good benefits and a strong commitment to doing things the right way (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a bit challenging but that goes along with a strong company (in 20 reviews)

• Starting salary and long hours seem to account for the buik of the high turnover rate for new hires (in 18 reviews)

1. Installer

Former Employee - Installation Technician
    Former Employee - Installation Technician

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good money. Company truck. Good benefits.

Cons

Biggest issues is that the amount you make depends on what kind of work you receive and how the market is doing. It's piece rate pay. Company expects unrealistic goals. Terrible work schedule A normal week is 12 hours a day 6 days a week.

Advice to Management

Fight for your techs.

2. They don't pay there employees. They hire management like cysco. My advice is to run.

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No pros. All fake .dishonest. liars. I have kids to take care of they don't pay. My kids go hungry

Cons

All fake . They say they are going to pay . They don't even if you work a 41 hour week

Advice to Management

Advice is to run. I will never use this company for cable TV or work for them again.

MILLENNIALs run away!! This company's CTO doesn't get it && never will.

Current Employee - Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really cool pieces of technology. Pay is OK. There are a FEW great people that understand the position the company is in and believe in mentoring others (good luck finding them if you get stuck on a crappy team). You get free DIRECTV - even if you don't watch TV like your grandparents used to. I was OK to be working here (UNTIL TODAY - read below).

Cons

CTO is horrible. He's an old guy, with a horrible accent, who thinks he's being funny while berating whole groups of people publicly. That includes our loyal customers. If you disagree with him, or WORSE, you are someone that HE doesn't understand, you will be ridiculed PUBLICLY and most likely in private to other senior executives. He did it today with a group of about 20 Millennials on stage in front of about 700 other DIRECTV employees. I felt horrible for them and utterly embarrassed by this jerk of a CTO. What really made it worse, for me, was that few in the crowd seemed bothered by this self-absorbed egotist's behavior. That's when I realized that there is a real problem with this company and its not just with my group. It permeates all the way up to the highest levels of the company. Or should I say, it flows down from the highest offices in the company and no group is immune to it.

Advice to Management

Mike White, Joe Bosch, get rid of the CTO. He's insulting and clearly doesn't get it. Time for NEW, YOUNGER blood. Everything that happened the last 2 days in Anaheim was utterly ruined for me by what happened in the span of just minutes, late on the last day.

Get fat with no technical depth

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

Extremely low pressure environment. Very low workload across the board. Free TV. Decent 401K.

Cons

Favoritism is the golden key. If you want a fat bonus you need to be either on a team with a manager from the same ethnicity or build some other types of weird relationships behind the scene. Most experienced mangers are those below average engineers who joined the company at the right time (>10 years ago). Almost zero room for growth - if you care. They probably have more directors, senior directors, VP's and senior VP's than all the other companies in the southern California collectively.

Advice to Management

Hold a 10-question mandatory technical exam for your managers with 10+ years of tenure and set a pass mark of 3/10, you will safely shred 95% of them.

Hard work- low pay

Current Employee - Team Leader in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DIRECTV

Pros

Facilities and Starbucks on site

Cons

Management appears to only care about numbers

Advice to Management

Be people leaders

7. Shady

I have been working at DIRECTV

Pros

nice coworkers
    flexible hours
    good work area

Cons

inconsistent pay
    rude management
    difficult to sale

8. Lots of work and hours. Managers nickel and dime you.

Current Employee - Installation Technician in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Installation Technician in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free cable and vehicle. Not stuck in one place

Cons

Long hours, low pay, hard to get promoted, unrealistic goals, management disconnected from field.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth

9. Don't bother, find a company who cares about people, not JUST the bottom line.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Missoula, MT

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

Money is ok, benefits seem great (until you have to pay a 3,000 dollar deductible. Then you realize they suck.

Cons

The training class makes it seem like it's so much fun, that there is some stress but that they are all about keeping their employees happy and that it's NOT a sales job. As soon as you hit the floor after training everything changes. Sales are pushed everyday, if you don't make stats you have to improve by the next month or your done. It is constantly encouraged for you to learn how to say things in a positive manner so the customer thinks they're getting a good deal when they're actually being ripped off. It is said many times during meetings that if you give a customer credit you are taking money out of your own pocket. It's a tactic to make you think that you shouldn't give a customer credit when they obviously should be because something was done wrong or they were charged incorrectly, sometimes for hundreds of dollars.

Advice to Management

Please don't call a dog a cat. It's a sales job and it should be called one. If you want people to stay make them feel like they are doing some good.

10. Tempe Dispatch the Worst

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

You get small incentives atleast

Cons

The are the worst call center I ever worked for! Backstabbing Managers with favorites

Advice to Management

Practice being professional

Interesting

I worked at DIRECTV

Pros

Opportunity to be condescending, rude and aggressive toward other employees and get away with it.

Cons

They expect you to work more than what your paid. Over load everyone with work to the point of extreme frustration and results in over multi tasking, which leads to poor performance and constant mistakes.