DIRECTV

Updated November 25, 2014
3.3

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White
Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros
  • This company also provides great benefits with a good vacation and time off plan (in 43 reviews)

• Good benefits and a strong commitment to doing things the right way (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a bit challenging but that goes along with a strong company (in 19 reviews)

• Starting salary and long hours seem to account for the buik of the high turnover rate for new hires (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible

I have been working at DIRECTV (more than an year)

Pros

Free Tv Free Tv Free Tv

Cons

act like robots. Team leaders get reports on everthing you do and everything is put under a microscope

Not recommended unless your job is your life

I worked at DIRECTV full-time

Pros

Directv does have a good pay structure.

Cons

You won't be there long enough to reap rewards with this company unless you are a very tough individual.

Terrible Employer

Former Employee - ACE in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - ACE in Dallas, TX

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home was great, you can get free Directv but if you cannot get tv where you live you aren't compensated the difference.

Cons

I was re-hired, they called me, and asked me to come back, I was offered 3000 a month, however I never made more than 1500 even after commission. Commission checks were often late, incorrect, cut in half, or taken away. The systems were horrible, constantly going down. My entire team was promoted to higher positions except for me and a handful of others because we were given broken equipment and missed too much work. I worked for Directv for over 4 years, consistently met my sales goal, excellent reviews from my supervisor, yet I was written up constantly, they fired over half of the team I was hired on originally and then we were moved to 5 different teams in a single year.

Realize who your true stars are by their overall performance and customer reviews and not just by sales. Get new systems, rio is constantly crashing, I upgraded to 100 mbps with Verizon Fios and was told my internet was "too slow" and that is why myself and half of my team were either let go or not promoted.

Everyone's afraid of the merger, not a good place to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits (but might change when AT&T takes over), nice new gym and cafe in El Segundo headquarters. The cafe is open to the public but gives employee discounts to staff with badges.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, base pay is lower than industry standard, leadership can be cutthroat and manages poorly. Certain members of management create hostile and toxic work environments, instead of using their positions to inspire and motivate their staff. Employee well-being is treated as unimportant, even though the company gives lip-service with staff on-site wellness and "green" programs.
    Fear is running rampant with upcoming takeover and declining subscribers.

Care as much about your people as you do about profits.

Fast paced, Good products, Managers lacking leadership

Former Employee - Hardware Test Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Test Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free parking and free coffee

Cons

I worked for DirecTV as a subcontractor. I worked in the hardware IHD (In Home Distribution) department testing LNBs as a Validation Hardware Test Engineer. The testing was far from validating the hardware since their process was very low quality and the tests were always changing constantly (and weren't being documented in the Test Procedures). Their management is lacking leadership, the senior management aren't updating their Test Procedures like their supposed to, so you have to keep a notepad that has all your notes in it that you have to refer to. There are over a dozen different tests. Really? Management don't listen to you as a worker to help improve their process which is lacking very much. About half of the time some of the co-workers do not have a sense or don't care to help others.

Do not contract for DTV

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

They treat their contractors like second class citizens.
    Contractors have to clock in and out, if their hours charged do not match what is "clocked" in, they call your attention.
    Contractors are not allowed at company meetings or extracurricular events
    The building air is dirty, I was sick half the time.
    Their software development process is slow and dependent on offshore teams.
    About half of the time some co-workers do not have a sense or dont care to help others

Terrible the manager in Springfield mo is a kid who thinks he is all that

Current Employee - Install Technician in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Install Technician in Springfield, MO

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None manager is a kid

Cons

The manager in this office Jimmie Stokes is a joke and I have seen time and time again he thrives on firing people

Get a new management in Springfield mo

Avoid at all costs.

Former Employee - Staff Engineer II in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer II in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As a contractor, absolutely nothing. You are not entitled to any benefits until you are full-time. Except you never will be full-time since AT&T is purchasing DIRECTV.

Cons

-Was a contractor through TekSystems.
    -First day was delayed one week so that I would be set up with computer.
    -First day arrives and I have no computer.
    -Repeated requests for various access to servers to no avail
    -Three weeks in, still didn't have access to SVN repo.
    -General questions regarding their enterprise software could not be answered
    -No one is ever available, everyone is too busy
    -Boss leaves for Argentina two weeks in, leaving no assignments or objectives.
    -AT&T is buying DIRECTV, and hiring contractors almost exclusively. Do the math.

Get rid of [name censored] He is the most inept and idiotic manager I have ever encountered. He has almost no technical knowledge, social skills, nor organizational sense.

Also, enjoy hiring on contractors while knowing full-well that they'll be canned as soon as the AT&T finishes its takeover.

Team Leader - Sales Rep

Former Employee - Team Leader - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with customers because I really enjoy people (plus closing a sale has just always been easy for me) and working in the retail store with employees and mangers.

Cons

Owner did not know how to run his business nor people. Even with a DTV signed contact of hourly & commission upon hire, manager deviated from legal contact without notice nor anything in writing. There is no employee handbook, no manual given to reps on set compliance, therefore owner can send a sales rep home if no sales made 3 days in a roll if owner chooses. This isn't told upon hire nor that if a rep missed any work schedule hours in that pay period, commissions earned were not paid - only hours recorded on timesheet. The training is ok, but it's provided by owners that once had their own stores which were taken from them, and sent back to retrain -- yet THEY are training new sales reps. Turnover is massive due to pay scale and working many hours 6-7 days a week, unethical procedures, poor feedback, "rule" and work schedule changes very last minute with no regard to the sales reps responsibilities outside of work. Upon hire all reps told advancement opportunities to be an owner yet there is NO opportunity to advance; only to give sales/installs away that a rep earned according to contact. There are no residuals. Bad setup of a third party affiliate for DTV and reflects on not just DTV but retail stores as well. I recommend NOT working for an owner but DO recommend a direct DTV opportunity.

Must have leaders within your organization to BE leaders in order to have real teamwork & success for all - not just an owners bank account. Need policies and procedures signed along with the legal contacts all sign upon hire. Need better recruiting staff that have experience in finding good sales - that have ANY experience in recruiting. HR is out of compliance as well as payroll procedures according to law. MUST keep your people happy to keep any company from such high turnover. Too much time training new people day in and day out for anyone to make a profit & succeed. But new reps can't make quota of $400/week, anything under goes to the owner and then newbies quit because they have families. Get it together or your third party affiliate company of DTV will be a thing of the past as will the unprofessional & unethical reps you keep happy.

Shame Shame on you, leading-on new reps with bills and families to believe the hype just to watch them fail without any conscience.

***ONLY ONE STAR FOR THIS NORTH SIDE HOUSTON BUSINESS - GREENSPOINT***

Poor Middle Management

Former Employee - Production Control Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Production Control Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent co-workers - nice office accomodations.

Cons

Upper management cares little for employees -- too much micro-management and no accountability for middle managers. No technical career path -- the only way to advance is in management. Little to no professional development in an extremely high stress environment with no work/life balance.

Take care of your people, - they take care of you. Make rea,l substantive changes - don't just add processes for the purposes of CYA.