DIRECTV

DIRECTV Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White

Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros:
  • "This company also provides great benefits with a good vacation and time off plan"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Good Benefits; Pay on similar scale to similar jobs; Everyone enjoys free TV; Decent company culture"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours and have to work hard for a work/life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Starting salary and long hours seem to account for the buik of the high turnover rate for new hires"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good and then not so good.

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThere were some genuine and talented people with whom I had the privilege of working with in the middle management ranks.

ConsThere was a lot of mismanagement and disorganization within the Direct Media Group at DIRECTV, and an overall lack of any positive morale from the senior staff. Arbitrary firing of contract employees as well as absolutely terrible treatment towards non staff employees, even discrimination from some of the senior staff and no form of protection. Possibly the worst senior staff in my past 10 year 8 agency freelance career.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe disconnect between lower rank employees and senior staff was very evident and zero interest in encouraging integrity with fellow coworkers.

The Worse Job I Ever Had!

Customer Retention Agent (Current Employee)
Huntington, WV

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI can't think of a single one. If you are a good liar, this is the job for you.

ConsI worked for Directv for three plus years without missing a single day, was never late and endured the summer without air with the windows sealed and all the computers generating heat. The winters were equally miserable, so hot it was sickening. I actually watched people throw up on the call floor and in the elevator. People would come in sick for fear of losing their job. This made everyone else sick. On top of all this, we had to endure all the screaming, swearing and threatening customers. The supervisors refused to take these calls and if you hung up on one of these demonic customers, you would be fired. Nearly all calls were monitored. If someone wanted to cancel, you were instructed to try and upsell the customer and disregard their complaint; try to force people to buy additional services they did not want and to lie about the charges. I had to have surgery and planned it for my "vacation" time. After, I was released from the hospital, I brought a letter from my doctor, releasing me to return to work. Directv would not accept the letter and I was forced to sit in the lobby, call my doctor out of surgery and wait until he could speak with someone in human resources. When I was finally able to get the doctor to the phone, I went to the call floor. Five minutes into my shift, I was told by my supervisor we had to go "downstairs" for a meeting. The "meeting" was to advise me I was fired and told I could not return to the floor to pick up my property and to wait and someone would clean out my desk and bring it to me. This was the thanks I got for my "loyality". I was told I was no longer an asset but a liability. I was almost fired once for wishing someone a "Merry Christmas" and told "never to do it again as people found it offensive". This didn't stop Directv from taking advantage of Christmas offering "special deals". It was okay to wear a satanic tee shirt with an image boldly printed but Christian symbols were strictly forbidden, even a small cross on a chain. I'll leave this interpretation up to you to decide. If you believe I am exaggerating, check with Workforce WV and verify what I am saying. They have this reputation and they are hesitant to send people any longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating employees like dirt. Word gets around and in this small community sooner or later you will run out of people willing to work at this insane asylum while taking your's and the customer abuse.

If you want to be underutilized and disrespected, DIRECTV Digital Media Group is the place for you.

Content Strategist (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood work/life balance - you don't stay too late at work.
You work with some decent people, some of them really talented and underappreciated.

ConsWhere do I begin? In my many years of employment, I've never seen a more disorganized and hopeless organization than the Digital Media Group of DIRECTV. While the upper-level, executive management from VP level and above has been excellent, mid-level management has no idea what they are doing and fails to provide any direction, then berates the employees when things don't get done in the way they want. Some managers and directors are so rude and unprofessional that they will tell people their work looks like s--t, then speak horribly about them behind their backs at actual business meetings. One manager even proclaimed that she would do whatever she could to "humiliate" anyone who didn't listen to her. Content strategists are not given the freedom to give any actual "strategic" input, and their ideas are quickly dismissed by managers with questionable intellect. What's left of the morale at this company is rapidly declining and people are leaving left and right, on their own will, because they know they deserve better. If they lure you in with the promise of going full-time after 18 months, they're lying. They hire contractors and sever ties with them after 18 months because it's cheap to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employees. Learn to hold your tongue when insulting them in professional settings.

Started out great, but then they find out your a contractor and you're treated like cattle...

Project Manager (Current Employee)
El Segundo, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV as a contractor for more than a year

ProsEngineering teams are great to work with.

ConsePMO is misguided and has no idea what a PMO should look like. No true management exists and everything is reactionary.
If you're a contractor, you will be treated like one.
If you're a woman with a voice, don't expect to be there for very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some...

I was fired because of a homophobic sexist boss

Warehouse Manager (Former Employee)
Lacey, WA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLoved the work I did.

ConsDirecTVs HR works for the company not for the supervisor. There is no union, no place for employees to go if they are being discriminated against.
I worked in the Lacey site, after only 2 months, my new supervisor fired me. He treated the males with respect, he took them to lunch, joked around with them. He ignored the women.
He didn't provide the women the tools we needed to do our jobs.
Meetings we had attended in the past he forbid us to attend.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the DirecTV employee handbook it states that DirecTV will not discriminate against women. However when a supervisor does, there no support. I wrote to Mike White but received no response back. I wrote to upper managerment and received no support.

Worst ethics company

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPaying my mortgage and keep food on my table to feed my family

ConsTons of equal opportunity processes, but one person make the final decision. Too many corruption and hanky panky going on between management and employees. If you have the look and body, you advances much faster than others.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the middle management dead woods (Sr Directors / VPs). They are there too long preventing innovation and advancement. $140 million to replace a billing system ? give me a break.

Opinion

Installer (Current Employee)
Tulsa, OK

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time for less than a year

ProsWork days go by fast

ConsPay is unfair with the technicians that do installs correctly. Technicians are paid by job not hourly. So cutting corners in jobs cheating installs is how technicians make money, not by quality of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the pay system for technicians. I show up to upgrades only to fix the whole system which may take hours doing it correctly and only make 50 to 100 dollars that day. It is a flawed system on which technicians that do the job correctly get paid very little, while others that cut corners by using other connectors and existing wiring. Giving the customer a horrible system though it is not up to standards those technicians make more money.

Horrible work environment

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI met interesting people there

ConsDisorganized and struggling to try to compete with the cable guys, DTV is constantly doing reorgs and loosing focus on what it used to be known: innovation. Contractors are treated as second-calss citizens; all the dev work is being shipped overseas and is being poorly managed; the goals and priorities are not clear; silos make the environment highly political. Summarizing: not fun. Perhaps if you're dinosaur looking to sit back and relax all day in meetings it is for you. That's all you'll do there anyway - run from meeting to meeting all day long.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to focus again on innovation instead of just copying what the competitors are doing. After that, communicate priorities and goals accordingly and follow them.

BSE Management is all screwed up at DTV. Budget cuts in anticipation of 2015 NFL contract renewal.

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor for more than a year

ProsSeems to know it needs to change, but all the groups are still doing their own thing!

ConsMiddle management is only out to CYA and doesn't manage or really care about their people. Bottomline always comes

Advice to Senior ManagementReally change the culture. Don't just just talk about it. Promote from within and shuffle the deck quick before it's too late.

Directv may provide quality programming, just don't work there!!

NMTS Which IS No Longer (Former Employee)
Centennial, CO

I worked at DIRECTV full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits which also includes free DTV service.

ConsThe pay, hours, being told that you can make more money by hitting next to impossible quotas. The quotas contradict themselves to make it next to impossible to hit. Their occurrence/ attendance policy. I witnessed a woman having a seizure at work. Once she left for the day she was given an occurrence, which too many will get you fired. Being told that "life happens" and they understand people get sick. Just don't miss work too much, or you will be terminated even if you are seriously injured, or sick with a doctor's note.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo whatever it takes to make sure the customer is fully taken care, and not worry about talk time to the customer off the phone! Remember when the customer is happy they will remain your customer.

Worked for DIRECTV? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DIRECTV reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DIRECTV CEO Michael D. (Mike) White. All 452 reviews posted anonymously by DIRECTV employees.