DIRECTV Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
3.2

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White
Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros
  • This company also provides great benefits with a good vacation and time off plan (in 43 reviews)

• Good benefits and a strong commitment to doing things the right way (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a bit challenging but that goes along with a strong company (in 18 reviews)

• Starting salary and long hours seem to account for the buik of the high turnover rate for new hires (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Too political

Former Employee - Customer Retention Agent in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Customer Retention Agent in Boise, ID

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has good employees that tend to care. They also do have good pay and benefits for the area.

Cons

The promotions are based on how well you play politics. Many agents were padding stats by having their supervisors take hits. Taking a hit to personal stats because other agents didn't properly do their jobs properly is a huge negative. Being a rep that had substantially (proven) higher customer service scores than the rest of the company and being harassed due to inability to sell upgraded equipment or services is detrimental to the customer service. Mandatory overtime for college students is difficult to schedule.

I shared advice previously with team leaders, managers, site managers and Mike White simple processes that could and should be implemented and no action was taken.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Systems Trainer in Tullahoma, TN
    Current Employee - Systems Trainer in Tullahoma, TN

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

most the benefits are great. Free TV is awesome.

Cons

Medical insurance cost too much out of pocket

revisit the health plans

Great company to work for as long as you like constant change.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, treats employees well.

Cons

changes happen all the time from procedures to policies

Lots of hands on training

Fast paced, Good products, Managers lacking leadership

Former Employee - Hardware Test Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Test Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free parking and free coffee

Cons

I worked for DirecTV as a subcontractor. I worked in the hardware IHD (In Home Distribution) department testing LNBs as a Validation Hardware Test Engineer. The testing was far from validating the hardware since their process was very low quality and the tests were always changing constantly (and weren't being documented in the Test Procedures). Their management is lacking leadership, the senior management aren't updating their Test Procedures like their supposed to, so you have to keep a notepad that has all your notes in it that you have to refer to. There are over a dozen different tests. Really? Management don't listen to you as a worker to help improve their process which is lacking very much. About half of the time some of the co-workers do not have a sense or don't care to help others.

Work Overload - No work/life balance

Former Employee - Finance Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Decent pay
    - Good Benefits

Cons

Work Overload, no work/life balance resulted in high turnover in my department. Quite a challenge onboarding new employees into the role since their is limited training and knowledge transfer. Co-workers not supportive of the overall success of the department, all they cared about was their own success. Dog-eat-dog -world!!!

My Boss worked almost 15-18 hours days, quite often staying at the office well beyond midnight. That was the expectation set for the team, which made is challenging for many to incorporate some balance in their lives. Some of the team got sick often due to the stress caused by the workload, and not having a stong team to spread the work around. Despite bringing up the fact that we needed to augment the headcount on our team and bring on some "A" players so there was a better balance of resposibility, Sr. Management paid no attention to it. After all, keeping the headcount down meant more money in their pockets with their generous bonus structure.

It is in the company's best interest to bring on good talent and nurture them to stay in the organization. Take a look at your turnover and actually LISTEN to your employees. Allow them to communicate freely and don't just hear them......listen to their hallenges and act on it, so you can build a world class organization.

Hard work, but rewarding

Current Employee - Installation Technician in Albany, OR
    Current Employee - Installation Technician in Albany, OR

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Company supplies a van, tools, and training to allow you to succeed. If your willing to work hard, provide an excellent customer experience and follow the guidelines that you're given during training, you can make a great living at this job!

Cons

Long hours. Unfortunately, if your a family person, work/life balance can be lacking. You will have very late nights, but in our shop, your fellow techs are good about helping each other so you can get home earlier. Piece rate position, so while you can make a lot of money during the busy season, when it slows down, it can be frustrating. Reschedules, cancellations and no line of sights mean zero pay, but it often equals out during the busy part of the year.

Promotion opportunities do exist, however, it often requires that you're willing to move to another shop. Being promoted within your own shop is often extremely difficult.

Look at promoting within the shop. It is very disappointing to a tech that wants to do more, to always see outside people being promoted over techs that have applied within the shop.

I enjoyed the fast paced environment.

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay (hourly + very good commission), flexible hours

Cons

overworked, Sales isn't an "honorable" business

Provide more customer incentives for current customers, not always new ones

Everything will change in 6 months when AT&T buys Directv

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Low stress job, good benefits, with a little seniority you can get a good schedule.

Cons

Too much depends on your immediate supervisor.

Stop changing policies all the time.

Do not contract for DTV

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

They treat their contractors like second class citizens.
    Contractors have to clock in and out, if their hours charged do not match what is "clocked" in, they call your attention.
    Contractors are not allowed at company meetings or extracurricular events
    The building air is dirty, I was sick half the time.
    Their software development process is slow and dependent on offshore teams.
    About half of the time some co-workers do not have a sense or dont care to help others

It was excellent and gave a great idea of what I want to do next

I worked at DIRECTV full-time

Pros

The benefits are great, Human resources has created a great atmosphere and balances your personal life with your work life.

Cons

Personal growth is very difficult. There is very little room to grow (at least in the Colombia branch).