DIRECTV Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
3.2

DIRECTV Chairman, President, and CEO Michael D. (Mike) White
Michael D. (Mike) White

Pros
  • This company also provides great benefits with a good vacation and time off plan (in 35 reviews)

• Good benefits and a strong commitment to doing things the right way (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a bit challenging but that goes along with a strong company (in 17 reviews)

• Starting salary and long hours seem to account for the buik of the high turnover rate for new hires (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company to work

I have been working at DIRECTV

Pros

People are really nice and helpful. Great benefits and very understanding management.Company has flat structure allows high visibility to senior managment.

Cons

None i can think off

None

Do not contract for DTV

I worked at DIRECTV as a contractor

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

They treat their contractors like second class citizens.
    Contractors have to clock in and out, if their hours charged do not match what is "clocked" in, they call your attention.
    Contractors are not allowed at company meetings or extracurricular events
    The building air is dirty, I was sick half the time.
    Their software development process is slow and dependent on offshore teams.

Terrible Managers, Subcontractor 2nd class citizen

Former Employee - Hardware Test Validation Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Test Validation Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free Coffee. None I can think of.

Cons

I worked for DirecTV as a subcontractor for only 5 months. I left the company due to the fact I wasn't happy there. Pay is low. I worked in the hardware IHD (In Home Distribution) department testing LNBs as a Validation Hardware Test Engineer. The testing was far from validating the hardware since their process was very low quality and the tests were always changing constantly (and weren't being documented in the Test Procedures). Their management is terrible, they don't update their Test Procedures like their supposed to, so you have to keep a freaking notepad that has all your notes in it that you have to refer to. There are over a dozen different tests. Really? Also, they treat subcontractors like 2nd class citizens. They don't listen to you as a worker to help improve their process which is lacking very much. I agree with another Glassdoor reviewer, "About half of the time some co-workers do not have a sense or dont care to help others". Glad I am out of that place.

If you like to see results and grow then its a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great career opportunities. You can work and try out different positions. Management address concerns such as life/work balance.

Cons

Sometimes there are many bureaucratic roadblocks to getting things done. However if you can navigate the bureaucracy then things move really fast so you have to be able to deliver quickly.

Remove bureaucratic road blocks to get more accomplished. Become more agile.

Not bad at all

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Huntington, WV

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay isn't bad for the job qualifications. Not a bad 401K. Good perks that include free DirecTV programming and NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB, NBA, sports packages and all premium channels. Pretty much any channel they offer, you receive for free as an employee. Employees also get expediated installation once they qualify for free programming.

Cons

Not easy to climb the ladder, most available moves are lateral. Sometimes schedules might be inconvenient and trading shifts can possibly be an issue depending on your manager/team leader.

Eliminate the 90 day no miss policy. Make sure management has true leadership skills. Although this is a CSR position, there is a lot of upselling products, channels, packages, ect, commissions would be an added welcome.

Terrible the manager in Springfield mo is a kid who thinks he is all that

Current Employee - Install Technician in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Install Technician in Springfield, MO

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None manager is a kid

Cons

The manager in this office Jimmie Stokes is a joke and I have seen time and time again he thrives on firing people

Get a new management in Springfield mo

IT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People were nice, everyone willing to help. Pretty open schedule and flexible, but that is because you work so much.
    Pay is nice since you get Overtime, again you work a lot. Benefits were nice as well, medical, dental, vision, plus free DTV service and discount tickets to Disneyland.

Cons

They don't follow their internal F12 program, (Live the learning, ie: learn from your mistakes). They rolled it out like it was something very big and important, but it was more like a cross between facebook and reddit that was hard to use, a waste of time, and culturally didn't mean anything. I made some mistakes, but was working very closely with my trainer. Manager talked to me about them by hanging up the phone up on me and yelling at me, I was treated like I was 5 years old. Told me I was a problem not their process or environment, but one of the reasons they brought me in was for outsider perspective. I'm sure the sale with AT&T had something to do with it as well. I have heard from other recruiters that they are letting people go for similar things to pretty up their position to sell.
    You work a lot during the day and night, by week 3 you're at 50+ hours, which is OK because you're hourly, but it'll wear you out fast.
    Working as a "remote site" employee you kind of feel like you are out on an island. You can call people and get help from team members when you need it but you just sit there all day with little to no interaction with others, because it's so flexible on scheduling with everyone.
    Just like any other enterprise you have your good people and bad people. Some folks really are great and you like being on projects with then, others you absolutely hate because you have to fight tooth and nail just to get the littlest information or you have to go out of your way to prove something isn't working because of a 2 minute configuration issue that didn't happen that you person you are fighting with needed to do.
    All roles are very heavily silo-ed.

My Directv experience

Former Employee - Software Test in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Test in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice campus, cafeteria. I was hired for a permanent position, so all benefits were included, including also pension. Lots of nice fairs organized by TV stations companies and you get lots of good freebies from there.
    There was what Directv folks called "Directv university" where people share the overview of the projects which they are working on, to the whole companies with their presentation.

Cons

Lack of proper training plan.

Training plan must be in placed for all kinds of positions.

Fun place to work.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incentive, pay, compensation, promotions, advancement opportunity

Cons

Very uneducated management. Work/Life balance..not sure they know what that means.

If you want to retain people you need to offer better work/life schedules.

Fast learning company concerned mostly about customer sat, and getting better about caring for the employees needs.

Current Employee - Field Technician in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Freedom during the work day, nobody breathing down your neck, decent co worker environment overall.

Cons

In this "small town" setting, no room to advance unless you relocate, stingy site manager who grasps every penny with all of his power resulting in terrible raises and unnecessary pressure. Complete lack of trust on all levels and you get the sense that you are always guilty until proven innocent. Working in all elements is a big downer in this field, as you will work in all settings, hot cold, rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain, torrential downpour, dirty environments, clean environments, crawl in attics, crawlspaces, in some cases even been through sewage, and an overall labor intensive job while working in all said scenarios.

Focus on making the pay much higher, eliminate favoritism, push every individual to unlock their potential in hopes to move up, and even encourage and mentor promoting the individuals. This would help attract real talent, and push the motivation of the current talent you wish to keep. As for myself, I'm constantly on the lookout for a new job that will pay enough to keep my family afloat. Its shameful and demoralizing to have this level of expertise and make so little for it. We are the face of DIRECTV, start acting like it. Think about the guys who are in the trenches and think about how they're wondering how to pay bills, put food into their kids mouths, and make all ends meet without just living paycheck to paycheck.