DISH

2.5 1,658 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

(1,059 ratings)

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years(in 71 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons(in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement(in 100 reviews)

1,658 Employee Reviews

No real chance of advancement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hilliard, OH

ProsFree tv services, most of the co-workers and bosses are great! Free food on fight nights, lots of contests

ConsThere is no real room for advancement, schedules are not worked with. No way to request time off due to illness, injury, death, etc. One time you can have a leave of absence max 4 weeks. No STD unless you qualify for it during the open enrollment period. Contests seem to be always won by the same people every time, therefore lowering the morale of those who would participate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more personable. Come out and introduce yourselves to those who work beneath you. Very few of the managers come out and say hello to anyone except their friends. Let people know that they are appreciated.

My overall work experience at Dish has been great.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsThe work environment and my team are great. Everyone works together and supports each other.

ConsThe benefits could definitely be better, along with the time off policy.

Still a long road ahead for improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounted TV service
    Great coworkers
    Good learning experience

ConsPoor work/life balance
    Compensation does not match workload
    Horrible benefits
    High turnover rate
    Terrible upper management
    Limited advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees equal happy customers. Focus more on entire employee base instead of rewarding a few. Share the wealth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CSR

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsGreat Company and pay. Good Benifits

ConsIndexing of Performance means 1/2 of the employee's will fail in the 1 yr.

Nightmarish. Find another career.

Field Service Specialist I (Current Employee)

ProsA paycheck. Nothing much more to recommend working for this place unless you think getting free cable is worth this much stress.

ConsLike so many other telecoms the solution for how you're measured as an employee is numbers and metrics. Basically they want a trained automaton who makes no mistakes and never questions the system they put in place. Hey, they spent millions in scientific analysis to make you miserable so don't even dare question it's validity. Management and supervisors are basically under the same microscope so it's a never ending vicious cycle of recrimination and veiled threats of termination if you don't make the grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrepare to be obsolete.

Stressful job

Dish Network Installer (Current Employee)

ProsBy yourself most of day lots of driving if you enjoy that lots of overtime if you enjoy that too

ConsHeavy pressure from management to meet goals where you will be fired of not met. If you do not exceed in every area at all times you are potentially next to be let go. Forced schedule changes. Forced ot for months at a time then forced loss of days for months. Bonus based on performance but if you do not get your bonus you are an expendable employee. Management inconsiderate of personal needs and or circumstances. Very black and white about performance quality and everything else no room for flexibility. Good job if your looking for a 6 month job don't plan on making a career.

should have quit when i had the chance

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

Proswe get paid every 2 weeks, the people i with are great

ConsThe customers treat you like crap, and so does the company. Its like your just another number and management constantly contradicts themselves on any information you ask about. Every time you ask for information about anything, nobody knows anything. I think about quitting almost every week, i am looking for another job now, i just don't want to take a pay cut.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat the employees as good as you treat your customers and it wouldn't be so much attrition.

Looks like dish is begging employees to write good reviews.

Field Service Technician (Former Employee) Corona, CA

ProsFull time work, decent money. Other then that I really cannot say that many good things about this company .

ConsYour job is in the hands of retarded customers who provide a confusing CSAT telephone survey.

Work conditions are horrible in summer however a strict PPH (Points Per Hour) is required along with sales goals (My Office was $500 per tech per month. They require you push there overpriced junk on every customer because "The Company is loosing subscribers so they must make up for it in other areas.

Upper-Management doesnt care about the worker bees like many corporate companies they simply care about the profitability of the stock.

Dish treats all new customers like royalty until there in a contract then your up s*** creek without a paddle.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey wont take any advice from me so it doesnt matter. Its just a bunch of trust fund money hungry corporate pigs at the top of dish.

Not loyal to their employees

ProsBetter pay than some jobs in the area

ConsThey want your life to revolve around this job so if they change your schedule from one day to another then you have no choice but to make the adjustment. They are not loyal to their employees and will let good employees go over minor errors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bragging about your powers and care more about your employees

Hard Work and Patience Are Rewarded

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsI've been at DISH for 5 years and I've seen quite a bit of improvement in moral and employee engagement on a corporate level. If you aren't willing to work hard DISH isn't the place for you - if you are someone who thinks they are entitled to be promoted every six months just because you are there and not based on merit - go work else where.

I've moved quickly into a management position during my time at DISH and I've been given opportunities to learn and expand my skill sets. Although I've had one or two bad mangers - overall I've always worked with managers who care about me and my goals.

ConsOne of the things our CEO and Chariman has asked employees is to "know their business." Select departments know their business and understand other's roles. Many departments though don't know their business and how decisions impact other departments -this often means they end up creating more work for everyone else.

Vacation time is not ideal - and I believe we lose employees because of this. Employees only receive two weeks of vacation time until they hit 5 years and then they get 3. Not very competitive in today's job market. To attract the best employees DISH should be at least offering 3 or 4 weeks initially.

Although corporate has made retention a focus some department heads have not. We've lost a lot of great people as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on retention - recognize that we have talented people and focus on keeping them here.

Department heads need to do a better job of communicating - a lack of communication has caused countless issues.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!