DISH

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

(1,043 ratings)

1,636 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years"
    in 69 reviews
  • "Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement"
    in 95 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

DISH directs employees under threat of termination

Operations Analyst III (Current Employee)

Pros5 years or so a go I could give you many pros about working for this company. As I said could..............these days there are no pros in my opinion.

Cons1) The first directive corp gave employees was to become a DISHscriber (use DISH in their home) or you could loose your job.
    2) These days the directive from Corp is to have employees make positive reviews Glassdoor to keep DISH from being rated one of the worst companies to work for.
    3) Corp also tells you a policy is set by the company until you hear something else and when you question it, it is no longer policy by up to manager discretion.
    4) Women have been rapidly disappearing from the DISH map the last 4 years as well, especially if you are motivated and speak up.
    5) At the end of each year you get a performance evaluation, which is a joke. Your immediate manager gives you a score that is then looked at and changed by their manager (someone that has no idea what you did that year) and then finally then the director of your department gets the last work. And yet again the score is changed to meet their box in order for them to get a "bonus" on their PA.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are a manager, then manage. Don't expect your employees to manager you. Do your job so the ones under you can do theirs.
    Start to care abut your employees again. With out them you would no longer have a job or a company to work for.

Cannot work at Dish any longer- enough is enough!

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsWork life balance is reasonable.

ConsFirst off, compensation is a whopping 30% below the market and the benefits are equally poor. Gigantic copays, no medical coverage in many needed areas (behavioral health, etc), cancer screenings, subpar vacation time, etc. Read the reviews because they are all true. Dish was voted "The Worst Employer in America" for the past two years- the company simply does not care about employees and they have no compassion for hard working employees. But nothing will change. Very sad because this could be a good place of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone really needs to talk with Joe Clayton (CEO) and tell him that his carnival barking antics have more than worn thin with employees. At the recent "Team Summit" event in Nashville, he humiliated and belittled female employees in a large employee forum and we are outraged. This is not the first time that offensive remarks were made to employees. I am getting my resume together today and will take the first employment offer I receive. Simply cannot work for Dish any longer.

Promoted to demoted!

ProsGood money... And that's it!

ConsDish chops from the top. All top paid employees end up getting separated/terminated from the company. There is no employee loyalty. Than offer people to demote themselves with a 20% cut and guys are doing it to try and keep their jobs.. It's ludacris!! These managers are sneaky. Having techs sell $470 dollars a month and having to meet that quota or sign a bogus letter that u get reprimanded if u don't meet that goal! Dish is a freaking joke at least the one in CA. If if wasn't paying my bills so well I would quit today!! El Monte office sux and so does there management!!

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a clean up with the managers who are taking advantage on the companies dime. Eating out with company money, coming in late while another mangers covers. There are no bbqs at this office.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glad To Have Moved On

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsAre you kidding? None what-so-ever

ConsIt is apparent that dish has hired people to leave good reviews in order to try and raise their approval rating. Instead of treating employees with decency dish has a policy of making the environment of their call centers so unbearable that staff will just quit, thus making dish not responsible for paying unemployment. In a push to sell their sub-par internet service dish devised a scheme to demote employees to sales positions that are a joke. Finally, what kind of call center works on split shifts, then tries to make the public believe that they are family oriented? It will be a pleasure not to have to walk into that place ever again. Metrics should reveal to anyone with a brain that a mass exodus of staff walking out of the door should be able to tell that there is a problem......

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to stop catering to only those employees who either do a lot of butt kissing or are willing to have sex with you in order to further their career goals.

Things are bad again.

ProsYou're guaranteed 40 hours/week. Management always greets you with a smile. Indoor climate-controlled environment.

ConsDespite multi-Billion dollar profits year after year, upper management has decided to cut compensation packages even more. Because of scaled-back bonus structure, I have to take a 35% cut in pay. Health insurance plans went from 2 terrible options to 1 extremely horrible plan. Over $700/month for a family and you only get 80% coverage. Supervisors are telling their teams that like all companies, profit is numero uno and if you want to succeed at Dish, drink the corporate kool-aid with a smile. New hire training classes start weekly to replace those who have to take huge pay cuts and find employment elsewhere. Dish is a horrible place to work and will undoubtedly 3-peat for the crown of worst employer in America for the third year in a row. They're still asking employees to write great reviews about Dish here on glassdoor.com.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing I can say that hasn't already been said. Management doesn't care. Payroll dollars spent on hiring and training are tax deductible so they'll keep that revolving door spinning fast.

People are treated like resources.

Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsProgramming is almost free. You have to pay for taxes and any additional TVs and additional programming.

ConsYour life means nothing to them. You work when they need you and they continually change your schedule to meet THEIR need. They do not care about you as a person or your family life. YOU ARE A RESOURCE.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you put up with it does not mean you need to continue the stupidity as a rite of passage. Grow a pair and fight for your people.

Horrible Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers/drinking buddies who you can vent to

ConsCulture, Culture, Culture. Nothing gets done without six-seven layers of managerial approval.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop accepting constant turnover as the norm; Realize you have a massive culture problem that can only be fixed by getting rid of directors/executives who've been there too long.

you have to work too many hours to make not enough money

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Roseland, NJ

Prosnot too many here...
    free giveaways here and there
    free food here and there

Cons11 hour shifts
    office politics
    micro-management
    working weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementDont come up with policies and then take the opposite action when people take advantage of them

Great benefit and FLEXIBLE SCHEDULE .........Don't be fooled by THIS ......

Field Service Technician (Current Employee)

Prosnot much any more ...good team to work with .....that's all

Consgetting worse and worse every day .bad benefit package and ALSO NOW WORST WORK SCHEDULE in the industry .company still advertise GREAT BENEFIT AND FLEXIBLE SCHEDULE .Dish offer worst benefit package in industry and now they came up with new horrible idea for technicians .technicians no longer have fix work schedule they want technician to be open for work all 7 days .this week you could be working Sunday to Thursday and next week it may change to Wednesday to Sunday so if you have family/kids or your spouse also working this can be very difficult to adjust .i been with dish for long period of time and this is worst time to work for dish .

Advice to Senior Managementnot much .actually company executive know what they are doing .and they don't care any more .

No Thanks

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsFlexibility and hours were good.

ConsTerrible company culture and good ol boys club.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!

DISH Videos

DISH – Why Work for Us?

The Dish on DISH. Pride: We possess the integrity to set high goals and the commitment to achieve the results. We believe pride is a personal commitment, to do your best in everything you do.Our Core Values… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DISH reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DISH CEO Joseph Clayton. All 1,636 reviews posted anonymously by DISH employees.