DISH

2.5 1,468 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

1,468 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Pay is good: a lot of sales reps are doing very well in Roseland"
    in 63 reviews
  • "Other pros include living in Denver and a good work/life balance (I work 830 - 6pm usually)"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement"
    in 92 reviews
  • "As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Proud to have this experience

Analyst/Developer I (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsWork on infrastructure for OTT video, dark fiber, uplink support, and all

operations applications
Relationships with leased and proprietary infrastructure and develop relationships

with all vendors
Visa sponsorship for me and a lot of engineers
Fun friendly work environment
Coworkers are very kind
Great leadership from award winning CIO
Excellent compensation
Good work/life balance

ConsNot enough vacation time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for the opportunity to be part of the Dish family!

large enterprise IT department

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
Aurora, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- One of the largest IT departments in the Denver area, so lots of opportunities
- Enterprise development experience
- Generally pretty good practices on releases
- Cafeteria has decent food and it's well priced
- Having worked in Dish is generally well-viewed by other IT organizations and

looks great on the resume
- Engineers are the best paid staff at Dish!

Cons- Because of the mission critical systems and gigantic staff, releases can become

bureaucratic and slow
- Office politics
- Office hours are strict. Be in the office before 9 or else!

Advice to Senior ManagementSee how teams can be made into smaller, multi-discipline units that can work more

efficiently and with less bureaucracy

Fast paced and exciting

Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of opportunity for variety and challenge. Senior management has a ways to go in improving work environment and policies, but they are genuinely trying. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. This is a good company poised for growth in an ever-changing industry. Technology is top notch and makes it fun to be part of a company with a competitive edge.

ConsWorking environment at corporate HQ is cramped, especially for managers and supervisors. Cubes have been reconfigured to make them smaller and squeeze more people in. For professionals with experience at other big companies, the Dish environment is tough to accept.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove some departments to another building and make the work environment at HQ more friendly for all. Add some 2 to 4 person conference rooms so managers can do their jobs more appropriately, or build out some smaller offices so all managers have offices where they can close a door.

Former Inside Sales Rep

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Pine Brook, NJ

I worked at DISH full-time for less than a year

ProsUnlimited money to be made if your up to a challenging stressful environment where the Supervisors and Managers are loudly yelling throughout the call center center saying sell sell.

ConsYou are required 2 days off throughout the week and they make it mandatory that you work your days off every week. After training I had to work 4 weeks straight with no time off and I had to fake sick just to get my days off.

Advice to Senior ManagementLayoff the mandatory overtime to give your employees time to rejuvenate so that can become productive. I truly hated working their and would not recommend this job to anyone because most people don't last 6 months in this job due to early burnout.

sales can make or break you

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTheoretically unlimited income depends almost entirely on sales commissions.
The team I was on was competitive in a healthy fun way. It was always a game to make more sales. (If it wasn't for the team, I probably would have had the morale to stick with the job)
Hours were flexible.
Benefits, insurance, 401(k)

ConsSales at Dish can be really tough mentally. The standards are set high, and so be prepared for your job to become the main focus in your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions should be given more to people from within the organization. A lot of managers at the call-center came from other companies. The result is that agents end up having to train their managers about the product, service, and job. Not very efficient.

It was an overall good experience

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Cleveland, TN

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people were great to work for very supportive and created a fun environment

ConsSometimes the sales expectations were hard-to-reach

Advice to Senior ManagementIt out in the field more

installing satellite dishes

Field Service Specialist II (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFour shifts a week, usually 11-12 hours per shift
Equipment is provided: van, cellphone, tools, tablet
Independent work with a lot of time outside
Driving accounts for 2-3 hours a day
techs (or FSS) are graded on a point system with each job representing a certain number of points. This system is also integrated with QA and CS. Overall, it's a fair way to evaluate the team. Because of this, hard work stands out and if metrics are right, then a promotion is probably on it's way

ConsBenefits could be improved. I felt that the health insurance plans the offered me were horrible. Either a really high deductible, or no coverage over $10,000.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet good insurance for your employees. W

Horrible place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DISH

ProsAll the free stuff u get

ConsCrappy management horrible benefits horrible work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees

this place sucks

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Flushing, NY

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Prosnothing...maybe working 4 days a week..then again, you have to work 10 hour shifts with stupid breaks...a 20 min break, then a 40 min lunch, then another 15 min lunch, and a 20 min break. makes no sense.

Consokay..

1. location... it's in the middle of nowhere. there's factories and a home depot. if you get off late...like at 10pm and you don't drive, you better run to that bus stop that's like 10 mins away in the middle of nowhere! cuz if you miss it, you're done.

2. you're a slave. they make you answer non stop phone calls and if you put yourself on aftercall work for like 1 minute, one of the guys in a glass box will run over like a wannabe police officer to tell you to get back on your phone.

3. you HAVE to pack your lunch, or else you'll have to order from one of the menus they leave out by the security and waste your lunch break waiting for them.... you can't go outside to get food. there's absolutely nothing out there besides mud and toxic chemicals

4. they make you up sell on every single call and give you scratch cards to "win" a prize if you sell a lot. when you do win, you get lousy mugs or hoodies from showtime. they also do have good prizes but for you to win, it takes a lot. you have to be one of the top sellers to be put into a raffle....and if u don't win the raffle, well then..you get nothing.

5. if it's not on your break, you have to ask to goto the bathroom. what is this, elementary school?
remember when you went to college for the first time and you raised your hand to see if you can goto the bathroom? what did the professor say? mine responded with "can you?".. well, at dish network, it's elementary school. raise your hands kids!

6. your language is not appreciated. you speak a second language and starting pay is $12 an hour. i think you make 11 if you only speak english.

7. 9-8pm or 11-10pm are the only choices.

Advice to Senior Managementit's hopeless

Unemployment is Better than Employment at Dish

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsPlease see notes under the "Cons" section for my complete thoughts on employment at Dish's world headquarters in Englewood, Colorado.

ConsDish needs to be honest with itself. The company’s problem is not a bunch of negative reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor.com. Its problem is that Dish does not treat its employees very well. Dish must acknowledge and confront its real problems: its dissatisfied workforce and terrible reputation as an employer locally. By attacking Glassdoor.com and secretly planting its own positive reviews to skew the results, Dish is addressing a symptom caused by the true problems while pretending the true problems don’t exist.

Mr. Joe Clayton has been Dish’s CEO for several years now and has claimed that the company is changing. The “improvements” have been negligible at best. Contributing ten dollars a month to an employee’s HSA account is not meaningful change, for example. LEAD training was a failure. To really address the problems, Dish’s culture of fear and blame must be eliminated. Compensation and benefits must be on par with the market, not below it. Disinterested and unrealistic managers must be removed. Employees must be treated with respect, not belittled or intimidated.

The sad thing is that Dish’s unhappy workforce is so unnecessary. Dish has been successful enough to become a Fortune 200 company, but I feel it could have been even more successful. Had Dish been built with a healthier culture (see Netflix Culture Deck), it would have been able to recruit and retain the best minds in the industry. With the best talent, I see no reason why Dish could not have become another Netflix or Comcast. Instead Dish has a declining subscriber base and is looking to buy out or merge with other companies to stay viable. Yes, Dish may be able to save a buck or two in the short run by treating its employees cheaply both monetarily and emotionally, but that comes at a longer-term cost.

In response to criticisms from employees, Dish’s chairman, Mr. Charlie Ergen, says, “Dish is not for everyone.” That sentence succinctly sums up everything you need to know about the company. The rotten culture comes from above, and Dish will not change.

I have waited about a year since leaving the company to post my thoughts about my Dish experience. I wanted time to think and for personal biases to fade. I’ve concluded that Dish was a net negative for me and will likely be the same for you. It caused depression and harmed by career. If you accept a job offer from Dish, I suspect you will probably regret it. It’s better to be unemployed than an Dish employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease see notes above.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!

DISH Videos

DISH – Why Work for Us?

The Dish on DISH. Pride: We possess the integrity to set high goals and the commitment to achieve the results. We believe pride is a personal commitment, to do your best in everything you do.Our Core Values… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DISH reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DISH CEO Joseph Clayton. All 1,468 reviews posted anonymously by DISH employees.