DISH

2.5 1,468 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

1,468 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Pay is good: a lot of sales reps are doing very well in Roseland"
    in 63 reviews
  • "Other pros include living in Denver and a good work/life balance (I work 830 - 6pm usually)"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement"
    in 92 reviews
  • "As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Field Service Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DISH

ProsEmployee discount for satellite TV service.

ConsExtremely long work hours. Some times from 6 am until midnight or later.
Field service managers have to babysit unqualified, some times poorly trained individuals.
They assign you a small team of techs, but they really expect you to supervise anyone during your shift. This makes it difficult to max your bonus.
Most of the work consists of driving around inspecting/coaching techs on the field or working in a non-temp controlled warehouse.
Ops mgr and G.M. Micro-manage their staff....completely by-passing the field mgrs.
They do not have a consistent/effective system to operate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the FSM's be managers of their own crew.
Working 15+ per day should not be used as a punitive measure for overall performance.

Former Inside Sales Rep

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Pine Brook, NJ

I worked at DISH full-time for less than a year

ProsUnlimited money to be made if your up to a challenging stressful environment where the Supervisors and Managers are loudly yelling throughout the call center center saying sell sell.

ConsYou are required 2 days off throughout the week and they make it mandatory that you work your days off every week. After training I had to work 4 weeks straight with no time off and I had to fake sick just to get my days off.

Advice to Senior ManagementLayoff the mandatory overtime to give your employees time to rejuvenate so that can become productive. I truly hated working their and would not recommend this job to anyone because most people don't last 6 months in this job due to early burnout.

Very hard, demanding, low pay, customers verbal assaults, management hypocrisy.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsIts a fast hire, somewhere to start from, pay is about 12 an hour. They have a bonus program, that is stressful to reach, but you make an extra 20 percent if you do. Some can do it. Some cannot.

ConsMy opinion, they like to promote mean people. Their is a sociopathic management feel. The verbal assaults of customers is non stop. You cannot disconnect calls on abusive customers, all in all an abusive environment due to this and the low wages. Medical Insurance is a joke too, bad coverage.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, the sociopathy, abuse of employees comes from the top down, right? Management follows its leader? I heard the the newest CEO is a sociopath. Before him, everybody got paid more. Before him starting wages were like 15-19 an hour. Now its 10-12. And there is not any real type of raise or wage increase even working there two years. Its sad. This company needs to learn to value humanity and be humble and respectful to customers and employees, and get a new CEO.

Retention department was challenging and fulfilling

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsI started working in the Dish marketing department right after college. I was assigned to the retention team, so we're in charge of retaining existing customers and decreasing subscriber churn. As one would imagine, it's a metrics driven game and a lot of work goes into slicing and dicing the subscriber base in different ways in attempt to find groups of subscribers that are likely to disconnect, likely to accept an upsell, etc.

For me, this structured, numeric approach worked well. My college education focused more on the soft side of marketing, but Dish taught me how to make decisions based on numbers and research and not just a gut feeling.

There's a lot of room to move up within the company, and many people from my cohort have been promoted 2 or 3 times within as many years.

ConsThat being said, working at Dish was certainly a challenge that pushed me in a lot of ways. The team is dedicated and puts in a lot of hours, and managers demand a lot from employees. Sometimes the hard work goes unthanked, which can be hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you thank your employees for hard work.

good job

Field Service Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsOn average it's a 50 hour, 4 day work week. Most of the hours are spent on my own. Arrive around 7am to start prepping the van, and try to leave by 8pm. A lot of my day is spent driving, which is nice. I found that satellite installations can be surprisingly complex. Some of jobs are no brainers but some require some serious thinking to solve a problem and engineer the home entertainment system to work correctly with Dish. For this, you'll have phone support and a manager who can swing by to help. Training is paid, and are the tools and the vehicle are provided.

ConsA fair amount of micro-managing and reports on reports on reports on how the reports were prepared. This isn't the most productive, but some say that all big companies are like that.

Advice to Senior Managementlet techs focus on their work and remove some of the paperwork and reporting.

Worst Company In America

Memphis, TN

ProsFree Dish Service and Hopper

ConsPoor Management, poor pay, long hours, and very little respect for the individual. Takes advantage of the at will status and fires employees for personal reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers and employees first......personal issues should stay away from the workplace.

dish-gusting

Field Service Specialist I (Former Employee)
East Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Prosall tools and training provided...company vehicles..uniforms...pay is good...free Dish TV...working on your own...if you work hard you can make good money...performance driven

Consmanagers always on your back about your performance because its a performance-based so you have to work quickly and efficiently...you are a number...it's not a 9 to 5 job and expect to work late some nights...all holidays...and mandatory overtime... the customer gets a call with a survey about your performance and the survey is a joke. its one to 10 and the only numbers that count are 9 and 10...10 pass 9 fail..

Advice to Senior Managementmost of the managers were techs at one time and they need better management training

Mixed bag at Dish

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of job openings due to the fact that so many people are constantly fired or get fed up and quit.

ConsManagements non-existent leadership skills, Unless you are a tech you are looked at as "expendable", techs are over worked and rushed through jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN more.

Horrible Organization

Inventory Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsLavish perks and bonuses for management, Fun group of guys

ConsLow pay for support staff, performance appraisals usually consist of management telling you there are better opportunities in the world,and turn over rate is atrocious making many qualified internal employees shy away from taking promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional Directors and DNS level managers are able to completely pay for automobiles and spouses restaurant tabs off the generous travel reimbursement. Pay lower then local fast food industries for support staff and every March and April during PA's there is an accepted mass exit which helps to keep DNS budgets low.

...ups and downs, lots more downs than ups.

Field Service Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people you work with. The discounted tv (it's not free, you still pay $40 a month for it).

ConsMetrics. They suck. They're intractable on them and they don't take into account things that are beyond the technicians control (such as LoS - if there's no LoS there's nothing you can do and it hits your completion, CSR putting appointments on your route when the customer has stated another date for the visit, Smart Home Services appointments for technicians who're not SMS certified and have no idea what to do, finicky customers that give you low CSATs because they want things for free - like custom work where they want you to run multiple lines inside the walls of their three story plus finished basement walls, adding the additional stat of Hopper connectivity alongside overall connectivity, and so on). Sales, it's pure idiocy that they now made sales a 'metric' on which they can censure you - I'm a technician not a salesman, expecting $800 a month in sales from a technician is pure bunk, the work is hard enough and I've PPH to worry about along with a long route and just don't have time to demo every item on my van.

And the work can be very dangerous, and with the focus on PPH now - hope nothing bad happens to you as you climb that 30someodd foot ladder that's up against an icy gutter.

Finally, the extremely low pay for the amount of work, the difficulty of the work, and the physical/mental stress it puts on you. The benefits suck as well (health, vision, dental and making you pay for the television service - and yes, I'm In-House not a subcontractor and the supposedly free television service is not free at all).

Advice to Senior ManagementMid to upper level management needs to screw off. They put impossible standards on the techs and constantly beat the drums of firing for the stupidest things (like making you text the GM after every job).

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!

DISH Videos

DISH – Why Work for Us?

The Dish on DISH. Pride: We possess the integrity to set high goals and the commitment to achieve the results. We believe pride is a personal commitment, to do your best in everything you do.Our Core Values… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DISH reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DISH CEO Joseph Clayton. All 1,468 reviews posted anonymously by DISH employees.