DISH

Updated Apr 15, 2014

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

207 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

it has been nice and but little stagnant

Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Prosthe managers are awesome and the team is great

Consraises are a joke

Advice to Senior Managementplease consider a good raise to keep the good employees

Fast paced and exciting

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of opportunity for variety and challenge. Senior management has a ways to go in improving work environment and policies, but they are genuinely trying. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. This is a good company poised for growth in an ever-changing industry. Technology is top notch and makes it fun to be part of a company with a competitive edge.

ConsWorking environment at corporate HQ is cramped, especially for managers and supervisors. Cubes have been reconfigured to make them smaller and squeeze more people in. For professionals with experience at other big companies, the Dish environment is tough to accept.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove some departments to another building and make the work environment at HQ more friendly for all. Add some 2 to 4 person conference rooms so managers can do their jobs more appropriately, or build out some smaller offices so all managers have offices where they can close a door.

Crazy busy, sometimes with true-north focus as a company, then again, sometimes not so much.

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReally great people come to work here, but they usually leave after they've been worked to death. Salaries are ok, but need to be re-evaluated against other industry telecom leaders.Benefits are decent, comparable to other industries/market. There is some schedule flexibility depending on what department you're in and your manager's mood for the week.

ConsFar too many high level expectations and unreasonable deadlines without good leadership, communication, decent compensation, the right equipment and the wrong people in management. (Lording over and micro-managing others so they can cover their own tails, because they didn't do their due diligence.) Thank goodness the badging in/out process has changed (or at least I heard it had been). It isn't Ft.Knox for crying out loud. It's a consumer entertainment company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hired someone based on their skill sets and abilities, test scores, etc. Let them do their jobs without micro-managing every little aspect of the project or event. Be prepared yourself, take initiative and communicate what you want, and don't change the rules of the game in mid-play, unless you talk it over as a team. Stopping and starting over is no fun and frustrates everybody, not just you.

Look here when moving to Denver

Helpdesk Coordinator II (Former Employee)

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's easy to get your foot in the door. If you're moving to Denver and have limited experience, or if you're looking to start a new career, it's a good place to bang out 1-2 years of experience. It will, however, be the notorious job you couldn't wait to get out of.

ConsNot a place you want to stay because it's a giant corporation and you feel that every day. No support from senior management and even management can be stressful because they are told to do things certain ways.

Opportunities GALORE... similar to Auschwitz, circa 1940 - 1945

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf working for a big-name-shiny-company that has earned the title of "Worst Company to Work For" two years in a row, then Charlie Ergen's DISH Network is the place for you. If job satisfaction, a fair salary, and self-esteem is something that keeps driving you forward, then Charlie Ergen's DISH Network is NOT the place for you.

ConsFor those die hards that continually claim "Challenging, but rewarding"... it's much the same as strolling through a forced labor camp and admiring the plumbing in the "shower room", "... LOOK, they spared no expense... all that brass and copper... fine craftsmanship here." It's as if the dismal morale can be swept under the rug by stating "Challenging, but rewarding"... I am sure the work is challenging at DirecTV, but DTV isn't getting back to back "Worst Company to Work For" recognition, is it? "Stomp on the terra."

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing... "Worst Company to Work For" THREE YEARS running is just around the corner.

Typical of a permanent hire

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe co-workers are great. Amazing they find people that put up with the insanely long hiring process to actually get hired.

ConsConstantly looking over your shoulder about job security. The annual review process is in March. That is when Dish lets people go. Rumor and fact support that Dish lets go of a certain head count annually, very close to 10%. Also it is much easier to get a position at dish if you work for WiPro or Xaviant (both hire mostly people from India). A new hire can take months to bring on board. A contractor from an Indian company can be through the process in less than a week. Thus the very High number of contractors in Dish Information Technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer training to all of the permanent hires for their jobs. Also why do you release people who are older? Don't deny it own up to it. You have earned your reputation and confirm that reputation every single year. Cord cutting is real and it is impacting the number of accounts at Dish.

Unemployment is Better than Employment at Dish

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsPlease see notes under the "Cons" section for my complete thoughts on employment at Dish's world headquarters in Englewood, Colorado.

ConsDish needs to be honest with itself. The company’s problem is not a bunch of negative reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor.com. Its problem is that Dish does not treat its employees very well. Dish must acknowledge and confront its real problems: its dissatisfied workforce and terrible reputation as an employer locally. By attacking Glassdoor.com and secretly planting its own positive reviews to skew the results, Dish is addressing a symptom caused by the true problems while pretending the true problems don’t exist.

Mr. Joe Clayton has been Dish’s CEO for several years now and has claimed that the company is changing. The “improvements” have been negligible at best. Contributing ten dollars a month to an employee’s HSA account is not meaningful change, for example. LEAD training was a failure. To really address the problems, Dish’s culture of fear and blame must be eliminated. Compensation and benefits must be on par with the market, not below it. Disinterested and unrealistic managers must be removed. Employees must be treated with respect, not belittled or intimidated.

The sad thing is that Dish’s unhappy workforce is so unnecessary. Dish has been successful enough to become a Fortune 200 company, but I feel it could have been even more successful. Had Dish been built with a healthier culture (see Netflix Culture Deck), it would have been able to recruit and retain the best minds in the industry. With the best talent, I see no reason why Dish could not have become another Netflix or Comcast. Instead Dish has a declining subscriber base and is looking to buy out or merge with other companies to stay viable. Yes, Dish may be able to save a buck or two in the short run by treating its employees cheaply both monetarily and emotionally, but that comes at a longer-term cost.

In response to criticisms from employees, Dish’s chairman, Mr. Charlie Ergen, says, “Dish is not for everyone.” That sentence succinctly sums up everything you need to know about the company. The rotten culture comes from above, and Dish will not change.

I have waited about a year since leaving the company to post my thoughts about my Dish experience. I wanted time to think and for personal biases to fade. I’ve concluded that Dish was a net negative for me and will likely be the same for you. It caused depression and harmed by career. If you accept a job offer from Dish, I suspect you will probably regret it. It’s better to be unemployed than an Dish employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease see notes above.

Are you being honest with your "transformation"?

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

ProsI have great co-workers within my department and across functional lines. They are knowledgeable and helpful and have been from day one. It is these people that make DISH successful because they care about making things work better for all involved, whether that is the customer, our partners, or other employees. I see debates in meetings on a regular basis and it is not ego driven at all, they really have a passion to improve things. DISH is lucky to have employees that are that compassionate about their work, it is not all that common these days. In many work environments, people just want to come home with a paycheck and here is no debate because they simply don't care. That is not the case at DISH.

ConsI am not sure those at higher levels are hearing us, as far as what true transformation means. You have to really buy in yourselves and make us beleive it. You have some great leaders in the right positions,,,and then you have the others. For example, you have a guy in an IT position that is not that charasmatic, but his team ALWAYS delivers, that is great leadership. Stop rewarding based on personality instead of actual acheivement. Then you have some obvious climbers who fire bright young stars based on,,questionable if not nonexistant policy? There have been buried internal surveys as well as exit interviews. Where did those go? Hopefully our new VP of HR (who is very well respected) will get to the bottom of these fiascos. Also, the new and improved badge report??? Really??? The news is out on that, there should be a very well explained message coming to us very soon, before we decide ourselves why that was requested in the first place. State employment laws do not support what DISH has been for years with the badge report, as far as salaried employees go.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think I covered it in the cons. If you want talent to stay and improve the DISH image, please consider what is said here. Joe, do you really read these entries? We want to help.

Discrimination

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProvided opportunities to grow skills and work with other groups to learn new skills. Provide solutions for problem higher than your position.

ConsAt Dish the pay is lower than the Industry average. In my case they would not provide Federal required accomadations.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince the Govenment requires that you assist employees with a disability under the ADA, then follow the law and allow the person to do their best with the accomadation, and you get the tax credit.

Believe the dissatisfaction

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

Prosthe building is nice, there are some occasional perks like TV studio hosted parties

Consthe turn around rate for EVERY department is INSANE, management has issues. BIGGEST issue: during the yearly reviews it is IMPOSSIBLE to score great, even if you are a great and model employee. Management is told that giving someone excellent marks shows bad on THEM because it means they didn't push them hard enough - so no one ever gets a great review, only moderately good ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your review process. Learn how to support your employees.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!

DISH Videos

DISH – Why Work for Us?

The Dish on DISH. Pride: We possess the integrity to set high goals and the commitment to achieve the results. We believe pride is a personal commitment, to do your best in everything you do.Our Core Values… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DISH reviews and ratings in Englewood, CO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DISH CEO Joseph Clayton. All 207 reviews posted anonymously by DISH employees.