DISH

1,891 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,215 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

278 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been able to work in multiple business units and did so moving laterally and with promotions. Great opportunities to learn and contribute if you are willing to work hard - even in areas that are new to you, they will take a chance on people.

The company is aggressive, we are not afraid to change course and try new things, while maintaining focus on the customer. We are in a great competitive position today and continue to look for ways to improve.

The company accommodated me when a change in my personal life required a move from this market - into a new position from a home base, one that would not have typically been a home based position - and allowed me to continue my career. This is consistent with my overall experience with my management - focused on their team in addition to their customers.

Cons

I think for some, our pace can be a challenge - as we are not afraid to make a change in product, offer, message - if we believe that it is one that makes us better. It's exciting to be a part of.

Nice opportunities but no work-life balance

Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you get good people, some new things happening, lot of opportunities to learn and grow, new & latest technologies to work at.

Cons

no work-life balance, pay doesn't compare to long hours you need to work, management want you to work like 10+ hours a day for the pay of 8 with you not asking for any time off and extra pay. Management are hard and force their policies on you. Management don't keep their promises. they expect you do work like a manager/senior while paying you a junior employee salary.

Start listening to your employees please. If you promise them promotions or something, provide that. don't lie through your teeth. if you are paying somebody for a junior developer, don't expect them to handle responsibilities of a senior employee.

Underachieving Areas

Former Employee - Operations Analyst I in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst I in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some people are good, Very good product, i.e. Hopper

Cons

Focus more on employees from feeder system schools than who are currently achieving, plenty of people have negative attitudes, little to no praise for good work.

Listen better to your employees and the needs of certain departments

Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mid-level leadership has improved in the last couple years, and the employees are generally good people. There is opportunity to grow a career and work on really exciting projects with little past experience.

Cons

Badge report is back! No matter how many 60 hour work weeks you put in expect to be lambasted endlessly for coming in after 9 regardless of the reason why.

Emancipate yourselves from Charlie, make real decisions about the quality of life you're providing for employees and allow lower level managers to make decisions. Stop castrating your frontline management staff, as only the best of them will take the blame in front of their employees.

OK Company. Lot of work pressure

Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

lot of work and lot to learn

Cons

timing and rules are bad, a lot of work pressure all the time, manager track your time on daily basis, people get fired for coming late after 9:00 AM

company should think about employees

Frustrating and unmotivating

Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Depending on your position and level the pay can be fair, Dish also offers discounts on their Satellite TV service and you can certainly find camaraderie among some employees.

Cons

I struggled on how to assign my ratings to Dish. After several years with the company I can say that on the whole I had a positive experience, but as far as a place to work I don’t hesitate to voice my disapproval of the company’s business practices and what I consider a demoralizing and unfriendly environment with little to no regard for employees. Is Dish the worst place to work as ranked the last two years, I honestly cannot answer that question but I can unequivocally tell you that in my opinion it is truly a bad place to work. One of the most frustrating elements is the ultimate harm the bad reputation did to the company and the difficulties I constantly faced in attracting and retaining quality employees. The frugal nature of Dish also tended to come at the cost of the employees who are often subjected to outdated systems and processes and a constant mandate for employees to do more with less. All of this ultimately created what I perceived as a large portion of employees that appeared unhappy, unmotivated and not really committed to the company nor proud of what they sold. Based on trainings that I attended, it is apparent that some of the managers recognize the failings of the company and would like to change the low trust environment that pervades, but with so many of the senior managers having been indoctrinated to the environment, I struggle to see change coming any time soon. If a friend was to ask me if I would recommend Dish, my honest answer would be only as a last resort.

Great place to get experience

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Immense possibilities to gain experience and be able to work on lots of different projects.

Cons

Benefits were atrocious when I was there. Also, the badge report was something everyone despised because it made everyone feel like they were being treated like a child.

I think bringing in Joe Clayton was a good move. Heard the badge report is gone and moral is up.

A company that has zero sense of its employees value and upper management is a disaster.

Former Employee - Management in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Management in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company will hand out titles like they're meaningless, so it's easy to get a title higher than the actual position you hold. Co-workers are generally good people who will share the same sentiment as those around them. Strong bond of co-workers feeling they're in the trenches together

Cons

The worst company I've ever worked for (and I received 4 promotions in 3 years). Dish is working very hard to hide the terrible morale within the workforce. As former management, I can honestly state that the company is trying to see how little it has to do to in order to change its image as the worst company to work for. Upper management is not equipped for the positions they hold and poor management is just transferred from one department to another. Dish believes that the title "worst company" comes from the technician and field workforce, but the corporate environment is far worse. Management (I was one of them) is consistently instructed to convince their employees how "great" of a place Dish is to work for, but is not allowed to work on a grass roots level to change the mentality and actually create a better work environment. The recruitment has turned to hiring mostly right-out-of-school in order to entice a workforce that will accept lower pay and has a lower skill set. This results in a company that is in shambles and has failed to turn itself around and provide a good work environment where the majority of the workforce doesn't leave within 1-2 years due to the poor work environment and lack of credible training. Do not work here unless you want to get stuck in a very poor corporate rhetoric work environment where your title will not dictate what you actually do, leaving you effectively worthless when it's your time to leave within 1-2 years (max). If it was a good company to work for, a majority of the workforce would not be consistently leaving. And don't get anyone who works there started on the benefits. HA! Worst benefits I've ever seen from a company of any size.

Advice to management-stand for a change or quit your jobs. Dish has poor upper management structure with very little insight as to what's actually happening with the workforce. You need to allow for more change on the bottom and keep your hands out of the suggestions and requests. Allow change to happen and reward those who make a difference without sacrificing their integrity. Restructure almost every department and strip out upper and middle-level management who are stuck in a position they are not qualified for. This also goes for the top of the top management. The company will not change until the heads of the company change. Work-life balance is essential in the workforce. Consider allowing for it! Benefits, make for happy employees. Consider it! Equal industry pay keeps good employees. Consider it! Actually hiring enough employees for departments will help morale. Consider it! Don't always worry about the bottom line or padding Charlie's wallet and the company might actually have change. Consider it.

The worst place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. They do pay you on time every two weeks.

Cons

Management is so ridiculous. For the last six months I was there, I was treating it like I was stuck in Office Space to maintain sanity. I can't properly describe how maddening and impossible it is to be happy at Dish. Every imagined "plus" is quickly exterminated by negative and condescending management. There is this overwhelming feeling of paranoia and the backbiting gossip is seriously unreal (and also tolerated). The corporate environment is so incredibly dysfunctional that I can't begin to compare it to anything I've seen before. If your boss shows any interest at all in why you took a sick day.. Beware. You are now on the "radar".

I honestly don't even know where to begin. The culture is so toxic, that until the management teams (especially in IT and Marketing) are totally reorganized or simply replaced, this will always be an awful place to work. I have never, in my 20year career, seen more turnover in a corporate environment. They beat people down mentally. I'm not even going into 10% of what I want to, but I think my point is made.

Sexist.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

Decent Pay and OK Benefits

Cons

DISH is a boys club. As a woman I've dealt with the boys club - I've played along. But sitting in a room laughing at sexist jokes and pretending to be okay with insulting comments is no longer fun. Going to HR - not an option. Open door policy is often used against people.

I have personally been passed over for many positions because I didn't fit in with the boys club even though I had more tenure, more experience, more education and better performance scores. This happens consistently not only to me but numerous women across the company. There is 1 female on the board, 0 - female EVPs - 1 female SVP - and only a handful of women VPs. It's time for a more equal work place.

Stop the boys club. Only one woman on the board of directors and you say sexism doesn't exist at this company?