DISH

1,857 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,198 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

272 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mid-level leadership has improved in the last couple years, and the employees are generally good people. There is opportunity to grow a career and work on really exciting projects with little past experience.

Cons

Badge report is back! No matter how many 60 hour work weeks you put in expect to be lambasted endlessly for coming in after 9 regardless of the reason why.

Emancipate yourselves from Charlie, make real decisions about the quality of life you're providing for employees and allow lower level managers to make decisions. Stop castrating your frontline management staff, as only the best of them will take the blame in front of their employees.

OK Company. Lot of work pressure

Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

lot of work and lot to learn

Cons

timing and rules are bad, a lot of work pressure all the time, manager track your time on daily basis, people get fired for coming late after 9:00 AM

company should think about employees

Great place to get experience

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Immense possibilities to gain experience and be able to work on lots of different projects.

Cons

Benefits were atrocious when I was there. Also, the badge report was something everyone despised because it made everyone feel like they were being treated like a child.

I think bringing in Joe Clayton was a good move. Heard the badge report is gone and moral is up.

Sexist.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

Decent Pay and OK Benefits

Cons

DISH is a boys club. As a woman I've dealt with the boys club - I've played along. But sitting in a room laughing at sexist jokes and pretending to be okay with insulting comments is no longer fun. Going to HR - not an option. Open door policy is often used against people.

I have personally been passed over for many positions because I didn't fit in with the boys club even though I had more tenure, more experience, more education and better performance scores. This happens consistently not only to me but numerous women across the company. There is 1 female on the board, 0 - female EVPs - 1 female SVP - and only a handful of women VPs. It's time for a more equal work place.

Stop the boys club. Only one woman on the board of directors and you say sexism doesn't exist at this company?

Good while it lasted

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here was the coworkers and the satellite programming benefit (all the normal channels and premiums like HBO, Cinemax and Showtime) for free.

Cons

Management doesn't always follow through on the promises they make. They adopted a high deductible healthcare benefit before it was the standard. You can still run into Friends of Charlie that get special considerations. Posted for two different positions that just disappeared.

DISH Network Employee; 10+ years

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules; ESPP; nice campus; lots of opportunity for improvements

Cons

Mediocre benefits; poor travel policy

Great opportunity for hard workers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at DISH Corporate for nearly 3 years, and held 4 positions. The career opportunities offered at DISH are nearly unrivaled. I was fortunate enough to have managers who listened, helped me grow, and ultimately I earned not only promotions within my team, but was awarded the opportunity to step into a role in a different field of work when I spoke up and expressed interest. DISH expects a lot from their employees, but hard work and results are rewarded. While starting salaries may not be the highest in the industry, DISH rewards hard-working employees with performance-based increases; additionally, non-salary financial benefits are pretty great for today's marketplace - 401k with match, profit sharing, ESPP, HSA, etc.

Cons

Some policies and aspects of corporate culture are becoming antiquated, though not outside the realm of reasonable expectations (i.e., "core hours", where more and more companies are providing increased flexibility to their workforce).

False Promises Made by Terrible Management

Former Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

The people working security are generally nice and helpful. Unfortunately that is where the positives stop. Once you pass through the gates, prepare for your soul to die.

Cons

The management in the accounting department put up an appearance that they care about each employee and the improvement of the department as a whole. In reality, this could not be further from the truth. From the controller down to the lowest level supervisors, leadership is full of liars, cowards, and managers full of false promises just to make themselves look good. They will promise to work with you on your growth and development, false. They will promise to listen to what each employee has to say and aim to make changes, false. If an employee goes to HR or voices an opinion about issues in the department, they won't even say a word or look you in the eye as they make "head count issues." Only a coward will walk you to HR and then leave without saying a word. I have no respect for management in the accounting department as people, and would not wish working for them on my worst enemy.

As far as benefits go, they are awful. Should you get injured, expect to have a spare $12k just hanging around. Trying to get FMLA approved is like pulling teeth and they are not afraid to escort you out of the building, no ride, in the snow, can't walk, increasing medical bills, on your first day back without the decency to even thank you for the work that you did.

The CEO is a mindless pawn for the chairman. He is guaranteed to say at least one offensive statement at every All Team Meeting. When asked a question, he never knows the answer, only will be until he hands the microphone over to somebody who knows what is going on.

Grow a pair

Still the worst company to work for

Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people they hire have potential.

Cons

You feel like you can loose your job at any moment. Management overlooks the employees that work hard. Every year the company fires people just so they can bring in new people and pay them less. This is a very greedy company that does not care about how long you have worked there or how many contributions you contributed, eventually they let everyone go. I can't wait to find another job so I can quit before they fire me like everyone else.

Be fair.

There is no real vision or leadership

Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Free TV services
    - Great co-workers
    - Pays the bills
    - Many opportunities to learn, since people are often thrown into tasks outside of their individual scope due to short staff

Cons

- Poor benefits
    - No growth opportunity for women with very few women in leadership roles
    - Executives don't exemplify the same behaviors they demand from employees
    - Executives often raise their voice to employees
    - Executives make unrealistic requests without providing the necessary support
    - Poor communication and leadership

Take accountability for the lack of results, as it is a true reflection of the support you provide to the team. Screaming in meetings doesn't make you a good leader, but it speaks volumes of the lack of leadership in the company.

Stop promoting good 'do-ers' to management positions. Good architects and developers don't necessarily make good leaders.