DISH Reviews

Charlie Ergen

1. Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ALWAYS working on the cutting edge of technology
    fast paced
    great co workers
    some benefits are good: 401K match, generous company profit share, stock purchase plan
    LOTS of opportunity to build a career and move around the company
    Dish has made a huge effort to improve the culture and environment at Dish

Cons

DISH is always running in Production, so you are expected to troubleshoot any problems that arise off hours (not too often) and work occasional weekends. The unfortunate part, is when you work a weekend, there is no compensation, such as time off the next week, or even acknowledgement of working the weekend.
    some benefits are not good- I pay full price for my prescriptions since I have not reached my $2500 deductible. For the first 5 years of employment, you get 10 days of vacation. After 5 years, that increases to 15 days.

Advice to Management

keep listening to your employees. There are many positive changes that have happened, but there needs to be a bigger change in work/life balance.

Corporate Employee

Former Employee - Product Manager in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of smart people work at DISH, but honestly most people aren't that engaged in what they are doing. I don't work crazy hours, but no one in my department does. Some departments work crazy hours thought - 7 PM meetings for certain departments are par for the course.

Cons

There is absolutely no trust at this organization. The employee turnover at corporate headquarters is higher than any company that I have ever worked for. Everyone jokes that everyone is looking to leave. Doesn't make for the most engaged or motivated workforce. The company has absolutely no process, procedure or structure making it incredibly hard to get any cross functional work accomplished. There are far too many managers who rule by intimidation and fear. Also, don't fall for the "DISH cares" crap. DISH, or should I say Charlie Ergen, gives 0% of any money raised. DISH doesn't even match employee donations. It's basically just employees volunteering during non work hours or giving money/donations from their own paychecks. Dish EMPLOYEES care... but DISH does not. There is a huge difference and how HR is using it as a recruiting tool is hilarious and deceiving.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and treat them like adults. Leading by fear has never been the most effective way to get the most out of your employees.

3. If you can DISH it...

Current Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH (Less than a year)

Pros

Charlie Ergen has vision. Whether or not he is the warmest and fuzziest CEO in the world is irrelevant. The man knows how to make money. I'd rather work for and invest in a successful company that has a future. I don't care how many free lattes I receive in the company café or how many pints of free ice cream I get to take home at the end of the day. If I'm earning a solid paycheck, I can afford to buy all of those things myself.

I want a job that gives me and my family a secure future. Think long term!

Cons

I'm sure there are some cons. Personally, I haven't come across any deal breakers, yet.

Realistically, every organization has its issues. We are not different in that respect. While we may not be the BEST company to work for, we are far from the worst.

I believe most of the poor reviews come from people who are either new to the work world (and have unrealistic expectations) or the reviews come from people that work in truly miserable roles (as defined by the objective job duties). And to be honest, if a person feels that their job duties are miserable, it doesn't matter where the person works. They wouldn't enjoy that job ANYWHERE -- not even at Google.

Great people in a broken system.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DISH provides some great challenges in terms of keeping ahead of the technology curve. The things we're developing are truly cutting edge, and the team I've been able to work on is full of great people who truly want to make a difference.

Cons

Considering the size of the company, you'd think they'd have a better health care plan. It seems like, as an organization, they're more interested in getting cheap workers than keeping the talented ones around and paying them more. Even if departments wanted to pay certain employees more, annual raises are based on a computer algorithm and not on actual value to the team. Therefore a team member with 6 months of experience will get the same raise as a team member with 5 years of experience--regardless of actual contribution to the team. Very discouraging.

Advice to Management

Open up the coffers a bit and pay to keep people around--the attrition rate is atrocious and it can't be good for the business to always be replacing people. Add a health insurance option that's more competitive, and allow for raises that at least keep up with the CPI increases.

6. Very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH

Pros

The company is always looking ahead in its business plan. Given the DBS industry is maturing, DISH is always looking for the next big thing in technology.

Cons

DISH still suffers the stigma from the past of being a terrible company to work for. The reality is that it is a good company to work for. Perceptions unfortunately exist to the opposite.

Still the worst company in America

Current Employee - Director in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers. Low-cost of living in rural Colorado.

Cons

Horrible work environment. Hire-and-fire mentality. No healthcare benefits. Culture of fear. Don't come here!

Advice to Management

Start listening to the negative reviews.

Good People. Terrible Company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dish manages to recruit some talented, intelligent, hard-working people.

Cons

Hours are insane. No work-life balance. Pay is low for the responsibility given. No one in management really cares about the well-being of employees. Badge report system symbolizes the lack of trust in employees. (Badge in after 9, regardless of whether you are doing work off-site and it will be reported to upper-management)

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. Think about how decisions will affect all of the business.

Horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to gain career experience.

Cons

Salary, hours, management, fingerprintting to clock when you enter and exit the building. You name it.

DISH's reputation as one of the worst companies to work for is well-deserved.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only advantages of working at DISH are the income potential and a nominal, or no cost, cable television subscription. In exchange for these advantages you pay a steep price in attempting to maintain your personal integrity, to truly satisfy a customer's (vs. the company's) stated needs, and your sanity.

Cons

In theory, the inside sales representative's goal is to satisfy customer wants and needs. In practice, at DISH, this goal is perverted to satisfy the company's wants and needs, regardless of whether they are in line with those of the customer. In this environment, sales management places a priority on "selling the slinky sphinx," that product or service which is most profitable or which will, in the company's estimation, increase customer loyalty. The best way to sell this slinky sphinx is to not tell the customer what he or she is paying for or to simply ignore what the customer wants or needs and quote a price which satisfies the wants or needs of the company.
    As a result of management's total disregard for employee's concerns, unreasonable requirements for overtime, the compensation for this overtime, micro-management, lack of direction in sales objectives, chargebacks to employees income, and total disregard of the wants and needs of customer and employees, turnover for inside sales representatives is astronomical. Rather than attempting to address these concerns, management takes the attitude that the best answer is for an employee to resign or be fired because they can find another willing to fill his or her seat.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers and employees.

Challenging to Recruit Talent

Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is interesting, compensation is much better than people think, and the company is trying (with quite a bit of success) to be innovative in terms of its products/services.

Cons

I have had job openings posted for many months, and I can't get people in the door to interview due to the company's reputation - some of it deserved, some of it not. Our chairman wants to hire young, innovative thinkers, but doesn't understand that our lack of flexibility is unacceptable to this generation. As a result, we are hiring many people who just barely meet competency expectations. When a company has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get employees, the future is very bleak. This is not meant to be offensive to the many really good people who work here, but the talent level is degrading due to the rigid policies. I really don't think that executive management understands this fact. The caliber of employees here at DISH isn't what it once was, and no matter how hard I try to paint this as a good place to work, really talented people aren't buying it. They are able to find plenty of places that will give them what they're looking for.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to retain the good people you have (as many of them are looking elsewhere), and how to attract top level talent. You can keep things the way they are, but the competency level will continue to degrade. The people I have to work with lately on various projects are really not the caliber of employee you want -- not very smart, not very motivated, not enthusiastic -- they just fill a chair. Are you OK with that? If not, actually do some research on leadership and what top talent expects in an employer and try to make some small changes. I don't know of a single talented young person who would want to come to work in such an inflexible environment. Also, LEAD training is absolutely worthless. End those classes -- I have a ton of work to do (because I can't get anyone in here to help), and would prefer not to waste my time on leadership philosophies that will never be implemented.