DISH Reviews

2,060 Reviews
DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,308 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

1. Inconsistent and stressful

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Management tends to feed employees a lot of sugar, sometimes pizza.

Cons

The rules to getting ahead and earning any kind of bonus and always changing. Hard to get into a department where you have the same seat everyday.

Long hours, horrible customers.

Former Employee - Field Service Specialist II in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Field Service Specialist II in South Bend, IN

I worked at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training programs are offered, Company provide vehicle, all tools to perform the tasks assigned to you, four day work week for field techs,

Cons

You might only work four days a week, but there is no way of telling how long that day will last. Some days you might be home by 2pm, while other days might keep you out until 11pm. Long work days could be caused by being an efficient and effective employee. If you get your route completed and there are still jobs that need to be completed in the area they will add it to your route. If you are a remote technician make sure you allocate plenty of space to for all of the equipment they expect you to keep.

There seems to be a huge disconnect between the offices and what actually happens in the field. Supervisors should have to go out into the field every so often and complete installs to see first hand some of the issues that technicians deal with.

3. Great company to work for., training and support available for first time call center experience.

I worked at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Inbound calls, sales are optional.

Cons

Worked during a takedown, tough calls!

None

Culture change? I am still waiting for it.

Current Employee - Salaried Employee- Manufacturing Center in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Salaried Employee- Manufacturing Center in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have a manager who supports me a great deal and I enjoy what I do for the most part. Tuition reimbursement is great and so is the free satellite service. Our insurance premiums are decent too compared to market place. There is room to grow if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Dish's big push to change the culture is not making an impact in El Paso to the degree I would prefer to see it. We still have a lot of employees who do not want to make effort to change our environment. They criticize attempts without offering input. We have to work on our attitudes with one another if we want to create a pleasant work environment. Additionally, I still do not agree with forcing salaried employees to work specidic number of hours to help HPU. Most salaried employees can successfully manage their responsibility within 40 hours and to ask them to stay longer will take time away from their family and personal life. This is conflictive as we tell employees we want to change the culture and then question them when they don't hit 45 worked hours. If we want to take our full lunch then we have to remain there 50 hours.

Don't be afraid to cut loose those who are bringing the ship down. There are plenty of people in El Paso that can come on board and help change the toxic environment we have created for ourselves. We shouldn't have to wait for upper management to fly in and clean house for us again.

6. Lots of flexibility and work life balance for proven employees in the right department.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hardworking and down to earth employees, flexibility for work/ life balance of in home office role, challenging work. Company staying on top of the times, possibly lots of good changes ahead with spectrum purchases made recently.

Cons

Very little flexibility at corporate, but not much room for growth if not at corporate. Benefits are not good.

Work on improving culture- increase work flexibility for deserving employees, improve benefits, 401k matching, and annual salary increases for good employees.

7. Very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH

Pros

The company is always looking ahead in its business plan. Given the DBS industry is maturing, DISH is always looking for the next big thing in technology.

Cons

DISH still suffers the stigma from the past of being a terrible company to work for. The reality is that it is a good company to work for. Perceptions unfortunately exist to the opposite.

Keep looking

I worked at DISH

Pros

Company invests in good training. They do seem to care about training people.

Cons

No room to grow and they do not pay high enough. They hire from outside to fill positions that can be filled internally

9. Hard work is usually rewarded in the long run.

Former Employee - Lower Level Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Lower Level Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent mid-management in the Midwest, that let's lower management use their initiative in many ways. They make an effort to stay up to date with systems and tech. Starting salaries are okay.

Cons

Small raises, minimal 401(k), many times a lack of clear communication between levels of management. Management at the higher levels is erratic, can be good, but can be frankly insane.

More power to regional management, for example in choosing product lines and truck logistics.

10. Good corporate environment

I have been working at DISH

Pros

If you work hard, you can achieve better pay and status.

Cons

Lots of red tape to get simple tasks accomplished

Destined for failure

Current Employee - Level Four Tech in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Level Four Tech in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at DISH (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Co workers and on your own working

Cons

Responsible for metrics that are not in my control

Figure it out or a lot of senior techs are going to leave