DISH

1,856 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,197 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 81 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mid-level leadership has improved in the last couple years, and the employees are generally good people. There is opportunity to grow a career and work on really exciting projects with little past experience.

Cons

Badge report is back! No matter how many 60 hour work weeks you put in expect to be lambasted endlessly for coming in after 9 regardless of the reason why.

Emancipate yourselves from Charlie, make real decisions about the quality of life you're providing for employees and allow lower level managers to make decisions. Stop castrating your frontline management staff, as only the best of them will take the blame in front of their employees.

Love the people and company focus on meeting internal/external customer needs

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial/dynamic culture - openness to new ideas, contribution and exciting challenges
    Management actively seeking ways to create a positive work place
    Incredible career opportunities in different areas - company won't hold you back just because you don't have specific prior experience

Cons

Communication between departments could be much better
    Entrepreneurial/dynamic culture - sometimes decisions are made before all possible results are considered

I love that management is making changes that positively affect employees. If there is better/more communication between the starting and ending point, employees can understand that things are moving and not just forgotten.

I enjoy my job, I feel it offers challenge and allows me to grow and learn valuable tools for my career path.

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Good benefits, (relatively speaking).
    Challenging.
    Constant opportunities to move within the company.

Cons

Negativeness of other employees.
    The pay is lower than I like.

Always give feedback, good or bad. I feel this give the employee knowledge of how they are being perceived by others and an opportunity to grow.
    Acknowledgement of a job well done. Far too many times I've seen employees do great things for this company. But, there was no acknowledgement of a job well done. It's as if it was expected of them.

OK Company. Lot of work pressure

Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

lot of work and lot to learn

Cons

timing and rules are bad, a lot of work pressure all the time, manager track your time on daily basis, people get fired for coming late after 9:00 AM

company should think about employees

Great experience.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II

I worked at DISH

Pros

Great leadership that helped when needed.

Cons

Low pay and not much room for advancing.

PFP rules are ridiculous. Customer satisfaction should not be the biggest indicator of good performance. Sometimes a customer is just mad.

Where opportunity meets obstacles.

Former Employee - OJT in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - OJT in Littleton, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy company to grow in, depending on the site your at.

Cons

Communication and growth can mean harassment. Management dates each other (favoritism).

Do drug screens up front when you hire an employee instead of being cheap that way you get better new hires in a lower turnover rate. Also avoid the harassment with random drug test because you never know what people do in their free time, tie it to a clause for workman comp that's understandable and stop hiring people who you know wont be well for the job. The company has improved but pay is still lacking and employees are still treated unjust unless you know somebody. Also trainers and coaches shouldn't date especially when it's obvious and new hires and other trainers blantly know make it feel like you have to date your way to the top. Certain management is great but some are the exact opposite and could be much more open and through for the better of the company.

Customer service rep

Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Atlanta, GA

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay. We were paid weekly by direct deposit and never had an issue with this process

Cons

Long work week...the hours were overwhelming for my schedule at the time

Field service technician 3

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist III in Marysville, WA
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist III in Marysville, WA

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always have work and overtime,good pay,time off three days off 401k profit sharing

Cons

Occasionally unpaid unknown day off, promotions based on completion of job whether Line of site or not. Bad benefits. 2500 deductible before coverage. Have to sell products to get promoted. Dispatch does not call customers they give to you at the end of the day to say your going to be late then expects the customer to give you 10 out of 10 rating. A lot of out of your control expectation for raise or promotion.

Get into the field and do our jobs and see what everyone is talking about. Then tell us to keep it up. If you do, its all about greed, cause you put all these treats in front of us, but yet so far away. How stressful to know your working hard doing your job everyday and being told just a little more and extremely rarely making those goals. Makes you feel like finding something else...

Great place to get experience

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Immense possibilities to gain experience and be able to work on lots of different projects.

Cons

Benefits were atrocious when I was there. Also, the badge report was something everyone despised because it made everyone feel like they were being treated like a child.

I think bringing in Joe Clayton was a good move. Heard the badge report is gone and moral is up.

“Education doesn’t always make you smarter…..case in point.”

Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have an opportunity to work with honest, humble, hard working people who show you on a day to day basis that you can be successful regardless of the level of education you have. Their unpretentious work ethic and efforts would make an excellent case study for someone’s Doctorate (Not Doctrine….big difference here). The thesis would be tentatively titled, “America was built by the working class…not the self proclaimed Elite.”

Cons

It’s sad that we have people (a couple really) coming into the company that consider themselves immediately superior to everyone else due to their self proclaimed common sense, logic, reasoning, analytical skills and most importantly their vaunted education. What makes it sadder is the fact that they position themselves above others that have been in the company in some cases for 8+ years. And the logic for their forgone conclusion is based on three talking points:
    1.) These tenured employees obviously lack of education.
    2.) These tenured employees obviously lack the qualifications for their jobs because they don’t have a Doctorate (not Doctrine as indicated earlier, but of course you know that, since you are educated more than everyone else. If by any chance you don’t know the difference, I suggest using a layman’s dictionary which us common folk use.)
    3.) And lastly their erroneous supposition that those tenured employees have only progressed within the company due to the fact that they know someone in management or HR or because they benefit from extra privileges. God forbid these tenured employees have grown and advanced within the company because of their hard work, efforts, continued support and pride in what they do….can you imagine the horror if this were true…..gasps?????
    In most work places, you have tenured employees in areas of leadership, such as leads, supervisors and managers. And that is because they know the processes, they know the people, they know the product and because they’ve shown they have the right capacity and desire to lead where indicated. And yes, that means that at times, you will have those leaders evaluating the work of new employees both hourly and salaried. Logic normally dictates that a tenured employee will review and provide feedback to newer employees….is that concept too foreign to you?? But apparently, a recently hired individual feels he is being demeaned because they are being reviewed by someone who doesn’t have any common sense, logic , reasoning and analytical skills. And apparently they lack those skills because they don’t have that darned Doctorate (not Doctrine…just want to make sure we are clear on that concept.) I can only imagine the angst you must feel to receive feedback from someone that is beneath your station….oh the horror!!! But in all honestly, I don’t remember where in the book of life it states you can only gain those skills by having a degree or doctorate….because in all honesty most of those associates you so condescendingly look down on have more commons sense, logic, analytical skills and most importantly humility in their pinky finger than what you possess in your entire person.
    This in no way is directed to all those other people that have had the opportunity to advance their education. In fact, Dish commends and encourage all those that can take advantage of furthering their education and the company provides an excellent tuition reimbursement program that assists those that endeavor to follow that path. And fortunately, we have many highly educated associates that have joined the company and assisted us in our overall growth and success. But the glaring difference with them is that they never thought of themselves superior to others. They never came in expecting to be treated as royalty; they came in with the right mind set, humility and work ethic and they have aided in our success here in El Paso.
    Unfortunately, these other individuals find fault in uneducated associates because they don’t make any efforts to further their education. It’s amazing how a supposedly educated individual can’t comprehend that not everyone has the circumstances that allow them to pursue that endeavor. And it’s not because they are lazy, or have “simple minds” or because they feel that Dish “owes” them for their 8+ year commitment as implied by them. You should be thankful that you didn’t have any obstacles in pursuing your education without any major issues or interruptions; you’re either very lucky or just plain spoiled. You shouldn’t mock others because their circumstances don’t allow them to mimic you. Nor should you mock others who have taken longer to complete their “2 year degree” within a two year time frame. How conceited and petty you must be to not realize that most of those people have families, children, and extended families to care for along with other responsibilities that have played a part in completing their degrees. The importance here is they are in the process of completing their degree or that they complete that degree regardless of the time it took them, something that your “educated mind” clearly cannot comprehend. The people are not “blockers of real talent” as you put it. They are real people who have worked from the ground up and have persevered and not given up in attending to their work, their school and their other responsibilities. The only “blockage” here seems to be the apparent lack of oxygen and common sense going to your head and the excess amount of “inflated ego” that does seems to be flowing to your head.
    Charlie Ergen is a highly successful entrepreneur and business man who is intelligent, savvy but most importantly, humble and grounded by the roots of who he is. He founded this amazing company with his wife and Jim De Franco by selling dishes “door to door”. He poured his soul, sweat, blood and time into this company and made it what it is by recognizing and appreciating all those workers who toiled with him in the trenches. He has always led by example and never has he elevated himself over others because of his education or accomplishments. He credits his company’s success on those blue collared workers, who despite of a lack of an education or Doctorate, have grown, succeeded and moved up because of their humble and honest efforts. And the company will continue to grow because of the efforts of those who lead by example and efforts and not because of those who feel they are entitled to lead because of their elevated education or degree. This company will continue to grow because we have honest, humble workers, who lead by example and are not guided by narcissism, a diluted sense of entitlement and a strong inferiority complex as exhibited by others such as you.
    If you want to continue to elevate yourself over others because your Napoleonic complex go ahead but keep your condescending views to yourself. Endeavor to lead by example and not by entitlement. Put in the hours to show that you are capable of building up a sweat; don’t make a capital case because you have to work 45 hours….really 45 hours and you have a meltdown??? I guess you don’t want to work 45 hours because it may cause undue stress or over exertion and we wouldn’t want that since it might degrade your common sense, logic and analytical skills. If you truly value you education, then use it wisely and with a humble heart, don’t use it to elevate yourself over others, degrading those who don’t have your level of education. Manifest the positive side of it, not the side that will ostracize you amongst those you supposedly want to lead.
     If you do not change your ways, you will continue to put yourself on an ivory pedestal, thinking you are above all else. The sad truth is that eventually you are going to realize that the pedestal you have elevated yourself on so loftily is really not so high; in fact you will realize that it is as high as the thickness of the paper that your vaunted degree and doctorate are printed on. In the meantime, us other non “Edumacated” and “Edumacated” associates will continue endeavor to lead in making the El Paso facility successful and to continue in assisting all efforts to improve on all fronts in which improvements can be made. We are here for the people, not for our own self entitlement or recognition. Rest assured that whatever we may lack in your eyes, we more than make up for it in heart, body and mind. And that trumps any glossy paper you have hanging on your wall.
    On a side note: In the future, you may want to put more thought on your movie subject references. In the movie “Gremlins”, Gizmo was identified as a “Mogwai” which is the translation of a Cantonese word that means “monster”, “evil spirit”, “devil” or “demon.” With that said, I’d rather be a “Gremlin”, why? I would rather be an imaginary creature who creates mischief because bad habits, practices or behaviors can be eliminated as one learns, grows and matures. So in other words, we can change and have changed for the better. In your case, I really don’t see much hope with you, Gizmo……. 

There are truly genuine hard working people here at Dish; both tenured employees and newer ones that come in with the right mentality. Both groups endeavor to use all of their acquired skills and education for the continued growth of this company. No matter the criticism that a few disgruntled employees put forth, rest assured that the rest of the 99% of us will continue to work earnestly in our jobs, motivated by the continuing changes the company has put forth for the overall improvement of the company. We are here for the long haul and will continue to do so as long as the company continues to make improvements where possible and as long as they continue to show a genuine interest in our overall well being and future.