DISH Reviews

2,049 Reviews
DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,300 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

Culture change? I am still waiting for it.

Current Employee - Salaried Employee- Manufacturing Center in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Salaried Employee- Manufacturing Center in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have a manager who supports me a great deal and I enjoy what I do for the most part. Tuition reimbursement is great and so is the free satellite service. Our insurance premiums are decent too compared to market place. There is room to grow if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Dish's big push to change the culture is not making an impact in El Paso to the degree I would prefer to see it. We still have a lot of employees who do not want to make effort to change our environment. They criticize attempts without offering input. We have to work on our attitudes with one another if we want to create a pleasant work environment. Additionally, I still do not agree with forcing salaried employees to work specidic number of hours to help HPU. Most salaried employees can successfully manage their responsibility within 40 hours and to ask them to stay longer will take time away from their family and personal life. This is conflictive as we tell employees we want to change the culture and then question them when they don't hit 45 worked hours. If we want to take our full lunch then we have to remain there 50 hours.

Don't be afraid to cut loose those who are bringing the ship down. There are plenty of people in El Paso that can come on board and help change the toxic environment we have created for ourselves. We shouldn't have to wait for upper management to fly in and clean house for us again.

2. Lots of flexibility and work life balance for proven employees in the right department.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hardworking and down to earth employees, flexibility for work/ life balance of in home office role, challenging work. Company staying on top of the times, possibly lots of good changes ahead with spectrum purchases made recently.

Cons

Very little flexibility at corporate, but not much room for growth if not at corporate. Benefits are not good.

Work on improving culture- increase work flexibility for deserving employees, improve benefits, 401k matching, and annual salary increases for good employees.

Long hours, horrible customers.

Former Employee - Field Service Specialist II in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Field Service Specialist II in South Bend, IN

I worked at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training programs are offered, Company provide vehicle, all tools to perform the tasks assigned to you, four day work week for field techs,

Cons

You might only work four days a week, but there is no way of telling how long that day will last. Some days you might be home by 2pm, while other days might keep you out until 11pm. Long work days could be caused by being an efficient and effective employee. If you get your route completed and there are still jobs that need to be completed in the area they will add it to your route. If you are a remote technician make sure you allocate plenty of space to for all of the equipment they expect you to keep.

There seems to be a huge disconnect between the offices and what actually happens in the field. Supervisors should have to go out into the field every so often and complete installs to see first hand some of the issues that technicians deal with.

5. Very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH

Pros

The company is always looking ahead in its business plan. Given the DBS industry is maturing, DISH is always looking for the next big thing in technology.

Cons

DISH still suffers the stigma from the past of being a terrible company to work for. The reality is that it is a good company to work for. Perceptions unfortunately exist to the opposite.

6. Hard work is usually rewarded in the long run.

Former Employee - Lower Level Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Lower Level Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent mid-management in the Midwest, that let's lower management use their initiative in many ways. They make an effort to stay up to date with systems and tech. Starting salaries are okay.

Cons

Small raises, minimal 401(k), many times a lack of clear communication between levels of management. Management at the higher levels is erratic, can be good, but can be frankly insane.

More power to regional management, for example in choosing product lines and truck logistics.

7. Good corporate environment

I have been working at DISH

Pros

If you work hard, you can achieve better pay and status.

Cons

Lots of red tape to get simple tasks accomplished

Keep looking

I worked at DISH

Pros

Company invests in good training. They do seem to care about training people.

Cons

No room to grow and they do not pay high enough. They hire from outside to fill positions that can be filled internally

9. Good company to be a part of

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Saint Charles, MO
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Saint Charles, MO

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Get to travel, work outside, and meet new people everyday.
    Plenty of OT opportunities.
    You get the ability to self-evaluate through a metrics system, as long as you don't focus too much on just meeting the company standards.
    Plenty of room for improvement if your willing to do the work and can take a TON of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Management team is always helpful and always trying to make your "just enough" more and more by the day. Tuition assistance and decent benefits are also a plus if your in it for the long haul.
    Could potentially make this into a decent career if your willing to put in the time and effort.

Cons

The biggest con of this place is also the metric system. Although is an incredibly useful tool, certain aspects of it are completely out of the control of the tech. Which can result in a consistent fluctuation of your overall score.

As a more minor con is you can occasionally run into difficult customers that feel the need to take out there aggression towards the company out on you

I would have to say management is pretty rounded in itself. Upper management DOES avidly attempt to increase employee betterment through proven methods, however, with that being said I believe there is a substantial amount of room for improvement.
     i would not focus so much on the metrics that are out of control of the techs. Instead simply touch on it every so often and advise ways to 'maybe' influence those metrics.
    I believe each manager (FSM) should be required to work the field (not ride - along or roll ups) at least 2 full weeks every other month. This not only increases understanding but also increases "manager to tech" relationships, it will provide the managers with valuable hands on knowledge needed in order to properly advice (Keeping the knifes edge sharp so to speak)
    In addition it will also allow managers that haven't been in the field for awhile, or have never been, the opportunity to experience the ever changing processes, equipment, and every day work scenarios.

I have a few more thoughts, But I feel this would very potentially be a game changer, and be a proverbial step in the right direction.
    I would very much like to discuss this, and other thoughts with someone who could possibly consider them and put them into motion.

" Loved My Job At Dish "Laid Me Off, After Almost 9 Years" Field Service Manager

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Company to work, I would guess depending on what your position. Great co-workers. Like most jobs, you get out of the job, what you put in, decent salary..bonuses for top performance.

Cons

For me, there were no cons, I put my heart into Dish for over 8 years and was Laid Off, said they were restructuring. Lead my team in Sales and most metrics for almost 2 years and they told me, it was my past performance before that. Really 3 years ago..I just didn't understand where that came from...Since Dish recently restructured upper management" they got rid of the GM positions across the board, so in my particular office the GM was offered the Operations Manager position and the Operations Manager was offered the Field Service position, which they both accepted...so manager ended up being bump down to a Field Service Manager almost 2 months before I was laid off , so I should have seen the writing on the wall.. I wasn't even going to post this review but glasdoor wouldn't let me continue to look at other job posting reviews, till I did.

I think Dish is really headed in the right direction, I just wish upper management would have offered me a position, even if it were a notch below, what I was doing...instead of just throwing me out, after 8 plus years of service...God Bless

11. Camp agent,

Current Employee - Completion Department in Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Completion Department in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at DISH

Pros

A lot of work and could be stressful are times

Cons

Management doesn't care about the agents, who work hard.

The coaches/Leads or whatever they are called now need to coach actually instead of just yelling at us with their brad breath. There is 2Leads that are cool, but for the most part the job is ok