DISH

1,955 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,254 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive Despite Reputation

Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst II in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Business Operations Analyst II in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

When preparing for my interview I came to this site, and searched some about employee experience on the internet and saw it listed as one of the worst places to work. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and have thoroughly enjoyed my management, my office, my peers, and my work. Several years ago there was a reputation of the corporate side being run like the military. My experience in the past few months has reflected a much more laid back atmosphere with schedule flexibility, project flexibility, and fun co workers.

On a larger scale, it seems like the DISH products seem to be improving. It seems like DISH has a head start on the future with the ownership of all its wireless spectrum. It's an exciting time to start with the company.

Cons

I'm underpaid relative to my education (though I've heard that with tenure within company DISH tends to pay better than competition). Benefits are meh. Healthcare is comparable to Obamacare. 50% match on 401(k) up to $5,000 ($2,500 match) isn't great, nor is the 5 year vesting period for it. Employee Stock Purchase Program is nice if there's wiggle room in your budget for it, but that might be a year 2 or 3 type of thing for young people.

There has been a high level of recent attrition, which may lead to disorganization, although it seems the company has turned the corner (on the corporate side) in terms of employee experience.

The company has a miserable reputation for its employees. This, matched with a low starting salary offer likely drives a lot of talented applicants away. I have loved my job from day 1, but I absolutely would not have accepted the job if my manager didn't knock my interview out of the park when I was there. I'd be missing out, but the reality is that the company is not appealing from the outside looking in yet.

They do not care about employee's

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Training, available OT. Shift bids.

Cons

Disgusting customer base and company SOP for handling them. This customer first attitude has front line reps serving as punching bags for the managers sake.

Treat employee's better. A lawn mower contractor shot a rock through my window and when I pleaded to human resources and they dismissed me saying that they could not do anything. That is ridiculous, its costing me a weeks pay to fix something a ignorant migrant worker caused. You aren't going to retain employees this way. I'm leaving next week.

Learned how a listening ear, and a desire to help can solve all kinds of problems! :)

Former Employee - Technical Helpdesk Representative in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Helpdesk Representative in Thornton, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people! Theresa Smith in particular, made you feel a part of a team... <3

Cons

Nights in a building with no windows. :(

Dish is a great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Christiansburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Good pay. Nice people. Benefits are good.

Cons

Sometimes not so good hours.

Keep up the good work.

DishAppointed

Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in El Paso, TX

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Almost free TV, performance incentives, tuition reimbursement, opportunities for growth, awesome co workers, experience and most of all flexibility! LEAD training for leaders.

Cons

Lack or no HR Management support, unethical practices such as data manipulation, favoritism, my way or the highway managerial tactics, conflict of interest left and right, onsite soliciting,managers sleeping with direct reports, retaliation, and theft. Oh yeah HR management and Sr Director see the other way, they are the sponsors of such behaviors and culture. Stop saying and preaching we work for the people? not!!!! The winning culture in EL Paso will not change until these unethical leaders or managers are gone!

Executive leadership should really look in the mirror or research to see if HR management and Director level leadership are even qualified to meet expectations for their roles? Maybe even check to see if their educational background is in line with DISH expectations. Historically these people will say they work for the people but if you really do some Homework DISH ethics will see that maybe the strategic plan for El Paso is a fallacy!Please look into all these unethical practices and get rid of the root cause of most of your issues in El Paso Manufacturing. Mr. Ergen look into these issues or you might be Dishappointed!!!!!!!!!!

It is a great company to work for.

I have been working at DISH as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Discipline of the company, Principles of the organization, customer oriented, Excellent work environment

Cons

Very strict time rules, Many assessment tests before the begining of the interview process

GREAT first job out of college because of incredible responsibility given to young workers.

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Depending on the department, but there lots of great people to work with

Unreal amount of responsibility and ownership given to lower level employees

Cons

Pay/benifits

Not any flexibility to work from home

Little signs of employee appreciation goes a long way

Like working outdoors and not inside a warehouse or office all day? This is the perfect job for you.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Calhoun, GA
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Calhoun, GA

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is average but the incentives is what makes Dish a good place to work. The managers are really nice and helpful, they don't bother you at all. Teamwork is really important, but I guess it all depends on where you work. Promotion depends on your work performance so that's a plus.

Cons

Poor benefits. Training should be a lot more hands on.

Fast Paced good company

I worked at DISH

Pros

Learn a lot, Fast Paced

Cons

Work Life Balance can be better

Experience has been very rewarding for me.

Current Employee - Team Lead in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's good to work here because you get up to an additional 50% bonus on every bi weekly check depending on how good your numbers are on the phone! They offer a 401k plan they match your contribution $.50 cent to the $1.00. The company only promotes from within so it's very easy to start a career path. The management staff is very friendly and helpful. We are strict on NO DRUG Policy (what company wouldn't be) and with attendance we are very leaniant like no other company. Every 12 months you get an annual raise and that amount is based off of how well you performed throughout the year. Great company to work for IF you are highly motivated and enjoy doing customer service.

Cons

Things that could be tough is the starting pay we only start at $11.00 which is very tough when other companies will start you at 14.00 almost in all TV provider call centers. Other things that could be tough is the insurance offered. It could be the worst insurance offered and makes you want to purchase your own insurance and pay more for the much better coverage like I have done (only because I am forced to have insurance).

I believe we could do better as a competitive company of we increased the starting wages and improved our insurance coverage for employees. Be competitive like other companies, we could reduce employee churn drastically.