DISH

2.5 1,667 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

(1,064 ratings)

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years(in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons(in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement(in 100 reviews)

1,667 Employee Reviews

Not a professional environment

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent and the 401k company match.

ConsWords of caution... supervisors and senior management are rarely on the same page. Constant disconnect in communication. Very immature coworkers who do not take their job seriously. High school environment. Better be in cahoots with the right people if you wish to be promoted. Performance and track record are not your key to success here. I was told when I was hired that there are "plenty of opportunities for overtime if you need extra money" which translates to you must work mandatory overtime at a moment's notice. For those in school and those with life commitments, steer clear. This is a mediocre job and mediocre company at best, so if you consider yourself a professional and have even an ounce of respect for yourself, you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere do I begin...

Great place to work

Dish Network Installer (Current Employee)

ProsMost of the day I am my own boss but have management available if I need help. Great pay. Every day is different. Great bonus program. Positive feed back from management. Overtime available weekly. Three days off a week.

ConsCan have difficult jobs. When you can't figure out how to do somthing it becomes very difficult to describe the problem although people are willing to help. Insurance can be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have had great management. Continue to help and support.

There's been challenges, but it continues to improve

Training Manager (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsAmazing technology, terrific opportunity, and the chance to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. People here are driven, dedicated, and incredibly savvy. DISH also re-committed to providing even more leadership training to every manager in the company.

ConsHigh expectations cause some leaders to forget best practices and that can drive employees out. The company is working to give managers better tools to work with their people, but some leaders aren't willing to change. Those leaders make it tough on their people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on leadership! Be willing to change!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not as bad as some say

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsDish has gotten some bad press in the past about working conditions. I was hired into corporate off the street and I was given a copy of the "rules" to sign off on prior to my acceptance of the job. I knew what I was getting into before I even started. My managers always worked with schedule outside of work and gave me the flexibility needed. Are there time where you need to bust your butt and work hard, you bet! Dish is not a place to be complacent, it is a full steam ahead organization, where you need to be on board or you will be left behind.

ConsThere are bad days and good days, just like any job or company.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Hopefully Will Get Better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

Pros-Opportunities to move up
    -LEAD employee training program
    -Smart people
    -Free TV service for employees
    -Access to high level executives

I've worked at DISH for about 4 years now, and have gotten multiple promotions. Hard work doesn't go unnoticed (at least on my team). A lot of your happiness (like at any job) will depend on your manager and the people you work with on a day to day basis. I've seen some teams that are somewhat dysfunctional, but luckily my team is great.

Cons-Low pay compared to industry averages
    -Terrible benefits (health plan is really bad)
    -You only get 2 weeks of PDO (3 weeks after 5 years)
    -401k takes 5 years to vest
    -A lot of bureaucracy with little focus on ROI (the projects that turn into realities are just whatever the COO is interested in that particular day)
    -Outdated HQ with not enough bathrooms

Advice to Senior Management-Do a better job of investing in and retaining employees. They've been saying that they want to improve benefits and salaries for a long time now, but nothing has changed.
    -Try to trim the bureaucracy and get more teams to work across departments rather than just keeping a silo approach

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Going the right direction

Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat income potential, extremely supportive leads and in general a management team that truly cares about your success and well being as a individual above that of an asset. This is an organization that will make some waves in the near future and they are adapting to current circumstances quite well. Lots of growth opportunity and the benefits are commensurate with the industry standards.

ConsHours will be daunting for some, but nothing extreme is expected for a sales environment. The phones can be a bit tough but that is just my personality type not sitting still well. The expectations are rigorous but clear, for some this proves to be a true challenge on a day to day basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to educate and train the leads and associates on sales and becoming a complete sales person with proper closing skills. Reduce the turn and burn in all areas of the business and explore the further development. (all works in progress and being addressed as far as I can tell)

I have no idea why this company doesn't get a higher rating.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Bluefield, WV

ProsExtremely good pay for my area and there is always overtime available as well as approved time off if you're tired and need to cut a day short). If your attendance is good they will bend over backwards to work out a shift swap if something comes up. Excellent support staff always willing to help. In-house contests with great prizes to keep you motivated. It's made very clear what is expected of you and even if you're not getting great results if you're doing the right thing they recognize that. Beautiful, clean facility. Ridiculously cheap TV service because they want you to know the product.

ConsIt's a tough job but it's customer service. That has nothing to do with the company itself. I guess I wish there was a little more flexibility when it comes to dealing with a gray area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. I've worked in different corporate situations over the years and you're as close to getting it right as I believe is possible.

My overall work experience at Dish has been great.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsThe work environment and my team are great. Everyone works together and supports each other.

ConsThe benefits could definitely be better, along with the time off policy.

I love working here

Customer Service Representative III/Tech Support (Current Employee) Christiansburg, VA

Prospromotions from within, great support system, lenient time-off policies (paid time off and unpaid time off), practically free tv service, sales incentives

Consnot super great benefits, but they help cover some health care cost if you choose to go that route

For the most part Dish was an decent place to work.

Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) Littleton, CO

ProsThey do have PFP(paid for performance aka bonus), if you had a good performance that pay period.

ConsTheir show for employee appreciation is lacking to say the least. Their definition of customer service is much to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees as if they are below you. Just because you have a higher position @ work doesn't mean you are so in life itself.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!