DISH

2.5 1,659 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

(1,060 ratings)

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years(in 71 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons(in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement(in 100 reviews)

1,659 Employee Reviews

Not a professional environment

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent and the 401k company match.

ConsWords of caution... supervisors and senior management are rarely on the same page. Constant disconnect in communication. Very immature coworkers who do not take their job seriously. High school environment. Better be in cahoots with the right people if you wish to be promoted. Performance and track record are not your key to success here. I was told when I was hired that there are "plenty of opportunities for overtime if you need extra money" which translates to you must work mandatory overtime at a moment's notice. For those in school and those with life commitments, steer clear. This is a mediocre job and mediocre company at best, so if you consider yourself a professional and have even an ounce of respect for yourself, you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere do I begin...

I have no idea why this company doesn't get a higher rating.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Bluefield, WV

ProsExtremely good pay for my area and there is always overtime available as well as approved time off if you're tired and need to cut a day short). If your attendance is good they will bend over backwards to work out a shift swap if something comes up. Excellent support staff always willing to help. In-house contests with great prizes to keep you motivated. It's made very clear what is expected of you and even if you're not getting great results if you're doing the right thing they recognize that. Beautiful, clean facility. Ridiculously cheap TV service because they want you to know the product.

ConsIt's a tough job but it's customer service. That has nothing to do with the company itself. I guess I wish there was a little more flexibility when it comes to dealing with a gray area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. I've worked in different corporate situations over the years and you're as close to getting it right as I believe is possible.

DISH -- Very special company on the cutting edge of telecom

ProsI have worked at DISH for close to nine years and can say it is a fantastic place to work. Yes, you will work hard; yes, they set very high expectations for you; yes, you will be challenged every day; and yes, there are no massages, ping-pong tables, or free cafeteria food. It is a pure meritocracy and rewards passion, intelligence and results. And, it is one of the most exciting companies in the telecom space today. We are known as a disruptive competitor. That makes every day fun. I am proud to be an employee at DISH and love working at DISH.

ConsSee above describing the type of work environment. This is not for every one.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Things are getting better all the time

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are a ton of opportunities for advancement and growth. The culture is slowly beginning to evolve. Profit sharing is pretty cool and the stock price isn’t bad either!

ConsThe Insurance programs are not great for families. I also don’t have as many holidays as friends with other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe the culture here was pretty poor years ago but can see improvement every year. Keep going. We're not there yet.

I love working here

Customer Service Representative III/Tech Support (Current Employee) Christiansburg, VA

Prospromotions from within, great support system, lenient time-off policies (paid time off and unpaid time off), practically free tv service, sales incentives

Consnot super great benefits, but they help cover some health care cost if you choose to go that route

Dish provides opportunity and rewards success

General Manager (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsI love working for a company that puts real responsibility on my shoulders every day and isn't shy about rewarding me when my actions lead to success for the company and our customers. This fast paced environment has rekindled in me the spirit of competition and striving to be the best that was so prevalent in my youth. I'm a success story in terms of advancement - I've been with the company just under two years and have already been placed in a role with more responsibility (and more reward) than when I started. I couldn't be happier to be where I am with Dish.

ConsI was initially concerned about the changes to the health benefits this year, but I'm actually finding that I'm paying almost nothing out of pocket for routine preventative care for my family.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course - I've seen many positive changes in the couple of years that I've been here at Dish, and I've heard numerous stories of how things were 5 years ago. The atmosphere is positive, the employees' voices are heard, and we're getting better every day.

DISH is a great place to work!

ProsDISH has always been an entrepreneurial company that takes big risks for the opportunity to give the consumer what they deserve. As an employer, DISH provides opportunities to grow and contribute to the business in ways that more traditional companies don't. I have learned more at DISH over the last two years than I could have ever dreamed. Working in a fast paced company that is committed to creating the future among fierce competitors is exhilarating!

ConsDISH is in the midst of great change as we transform the culture, benefits and leadership. You have to be excited about driving change and be willing to fail to succeed at DISH. It is easy to get caught up in the challenges or stories of the past instead of asking what can I do to help create a world class company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! It takes time to drive changes through the organization. We are moving in the right direction!

Love working for a fast paced and high energy company!

Regional Operations Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI am empowered every day to make decisions that have a huge impact on our company. I work with an unbelievable team that challenges me every day and continues to make me a better leader. We put a huge emphasis on leadership development and continuing to improve our bench talent and ability to promote from within. While there are sometimes long days and work on weekends, my manager is always cognizant of my work life balance and I strive to do the same for my team. If you like a competitive company, pay for performance, and the ability to advance your career, DISH is the place to be!

ConsHealth benefits could be a little better. Soften some of the travel policy guidelines.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recruit and promote top talent. Continue to put DISH in a position to continue to lead in our industry.

Fast paced environment for those who love cutting edge technology and change!

IT Management (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsIf you are starting your career in IT or perhaps tired of your snail's pace IT job, consider DISH. The corporate headquarters provides many IT opportunities for someone who has the drive to be successful.

ConsIt you want a role that goes at a slow pace; management that treats you "as a number"; provides jobs that lack challenge and creativity; and lacks smart team members, DISH is NOT for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementJoe Clayton - you go! You are on the path to turning this company around, just by realizing that employees count!

Senior Manager

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsI've been with DISH nearly 12 years, and am watching it change and develop. We are not the same DISH. We are committed to our employees, and the changes in leadership because of the LEAD program is wonderful to see. DISH is the place to work in Denver. I've had incredible opportunities and continue to grow my skills and career at DISH. I'm proud to work for DISH.

ConsBenefits could be better, and an appreciation that people can get work done anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe still need to help all upper leadership get on board with treating employees as fully formed adults, and keeping in mind newer employees and generational differences. Gen Y and X are very different from baby boomers. How do we empower them and help increase engagement by all.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!