DISH

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

(1,044 ratings)

1,637 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years"
    in 69 reviews
  • "Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement"
    in 95 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I love working here

Customer Service Representative III/Tech Support (Current Employee)
    Christiansburg, VA

Prospromotions from within, great support system, lenient time-off policies (paid time off and unpaid time off), practically free tv service, sales incentives

Consnot super great benefits, but they help cover some health care cost if you choose to go that route

Dish provides opportunity and rewards success

General Manager (Current Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

ProsI love working for a company that puts real responsibility on my shoulders every day and isn't shy about rewarding me when my actions lead to success for the company and our customers. This fast paced environment has rekindled in me the spirit of competition and striving to be the best that was so prevalent in my youth. I'm a success story in terms of advancement - I've been with the company just under two years and have already been placed in a role with more responsibility (and more reward) than when I started. I couldn't be happier to be where I am with Dish.

ConsI was initially concerned about the changes to the health benefits this year, but I'm actually finding that I'm paying almost nothing out of pocket for routine preventative care for my family.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course - I've seen many positive changes in the couple of years that I've been here at Dish, and I've heard numerous stories of how things were 5 years ago. The atmosphere is positive, the employees' voices are heard, and we're getting better every day.

DISH is a great place to work!

ProsDISH has always been an entrepreneurial company that takes big risks for the opportunity to give the consumer what they deserve. As an employer, DISH provides opportunities to grow and contribute to the business in ways that more traditional companies don't. I have learned more at DISH over the last two years than I could have ever dreamed. Working in a fast paced company that is committed to creating the future among fierce competitors is exhilarating!

ConsDISH is in the midst of great change as we transform the culture, benefits and leadership. You have to be excited about driving change and be willing to fail to succeed at DISH. It is easy to get caught up in the challenges or stories of the past instead of asking what can I do to help create a world class company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! It takes time to drive changes through the organization. We are moving in the right direction!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love working for a fast paced and high energy company!

Regional Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsI am empowered every day to make decisions that have a huge impact on our company. I work with an unbelievable team that challenges me every day and continues to make me a better leader. We put a huge emphasis on leadership development and continuing to improve our bench talent and ability to promote from within. While there are sometimes long days and work on weekends, my manager is always cognizant of my work life balance and I strive to do the same for my team. If you like a competitive company, pay for performance, and the ability to advance your career, DISH is the place to be!

ConsHealth benefits could be a little better. Soften some of the travel policy guidelines.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to recruit and promote top talent. Continue to put DISH in a position to continue to lead in our industry.

Fast paced environment for those who love cutting edge technology and change!

IT Management (Current Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsIf you are starting your career in IT or perhaps tired of your snail's pace IT job, consider DISH. The corporate headquarters provides many IT opportunities for someone who has the drive to be successful.

ConsIt you want a role that goes at a slow pace; management that treats you "as a number"; provides jobs that lack challenge and creativity; and lacks smart team members, DISH is NOT for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementJoe Clayton - you go! You are on the path to turning this company around, just by realizing that employees count!

Senior Manager

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsI've been with DISH nearly 12 years, and am watching it change and develop. We are not the same DISH. We are committed to our employees, and the changes in leadership because of the LEAD program is wonderful to see. DISH is the place to work in Denver. I've had incredible opportunities and continue to grow my skills and career at DISH. I'm proud to work for DISH.

ConsBenefits could be better, and an appreciation that people can get work done anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe still need to help all upper leadership get on board with treating employees as fully formed adults, and keeping in mind newer employees and generational differences. Gen Y and X are very different from baby boomers. How do we empower them and help increase engagement by all.

Great place to work for IT professionals

Staff Analyst Developer (Current Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsI have been working at Dish for over a year now. Before coming to Dish, I read quite a few negative reviews on glassdoor and other sites. Imagine my surprise that a year later, Dish turns out to be my best job ever in my short career of 15 years.

1. Great management team.
    I am working in the largest development team in IT (Middleware). There are 40+ developers on site and another 40+ offshore in India. The organization is flat: there are 3 managers and 1 top manager for the group. I was so impressed with the managers here, I have decided to pursue a management career path myself. Here are some quotes from the managers.
    - You can be as successful as you want to be at Dish.
    - I want to have a life outside the office. If it is not absolutely necessary to stay late, I should be gone by 5:30pm/6pm.
    - We work to live, we do not live to work.
    - We trust people here, that is why we hired you. We do not micro-manage. We give you a task, we expect that it will be done. I won't ask you "are you done yet" everyday.
    - (Background: after a major release with long hours). If you are not gone by 4pm, you are fired. Managers actually walk around the cubes and kick people out at 4pm, to make sure that the team recharges after working so hard.

2. Outsourcing done the right way.
    Dish has a vast IT operation, with 500+ people on site, and another 500+ offshore in India. The on site people focus on meeting business requirements, collaborating with other DEV teams/business/infrastructure, designing software, and managing progress of offshore developers. Offshore developers are shielded from all the noise and can focus on getting development done.

The nice thing about having a large offshore team is that (1) you double your team at a reasonable cost (2) you double your time, because of 12-hour time difference. Outsourcing allows IT teams to have a much better chance of delivering quality software, on time.

Some companies do no outsourcing (like some of my previous employers) and will always be short handed, which translates into cutting corners to meet deadlines, producing sub-par software, which eventually may cause low employee morale. Other companies do close to 100% outsourcing (think IBM, lots of software shops, large companies), which means that communication between IT and business breaks down, and typically business ends up not getting what they want, and they get frustrated.

I think that the Dish model is an example of the right way of doing IT outsourcing.

3. Learn new technologies and grow in your career
    Because Dish has such a large IT workforce, it is not afraid of taking on new technologies and rewriting the whole thing every few years. 3-4 years ago most of enterprise software was rewritten as part of BT, and things are working much better than before. Starting last year, there are major initiatives to re-architect the systems again to prepare for the future. There are lots of opportunities for IT folks to grow technically and professionally.

4. Founder led company.
    Cahrlie Ergan built the company from scratch. He owns majority stake in the company. He is not like a typical CEO who is just a hired hand. This is his life. He is not going anywhere.

As founder, Charlie can change directions of the companies very quickly. He has acquired billions of dollars worth of wireless spectrum over last few years, which allows Dish to have a second play outside of pay TV, in the future. That is a primary reason that DirectTV got bought by AT&T, because it does not have a second play for the future.

If people work hard here, there are plenty of opportunities to move up and across departments. The company encourages people to find opportunities inside the company, rather than outside the company.

5. Winning IT team.
    Dish does around 3 major releases a year. The IT team is a well-oiled machine that is executing very well. When I was interviewing with Dish about a year ago, I was told that Dish can do more work in one year than a typical Fortune 500 company can do in 3-4 years. I thought that was exaggerating. It was not. The efficiency and productivity here in IT are amazing. I have learned to trust and expect good work from colleagues in my team, infrastructure, offshore, ...etc.

At the end of the day, it is a good feeling to deliver good work products, as an individual and as a team.

Cons1. Benefits could use some improvements.

Advice to Senior Management1. Benefits could use some improvements.

Fast paced, energetic, complex and ever changing

Senior Vice President (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsPeople, teamwork, energetic, opportunity, learning new skills, exposure to complex problems and problem solving. Also, the opportunity for individual career advancement is based on how well you perform everyday.

ConsThe work environment is fast paced and complex. Teamwork and a deep understanding of cause and effect is required to problem solve or have initiative adoption.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay Thank You more often

Fast paced, Innovative, great benefits

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDish is simply a great place to work as long as you are willing to work hard. Not willing.... go work for one of our competitors.

My personal growth has been due to leadership that has taken myself under their wing.

Office culture is what you make it. Management weeds out destructive employees.

ConsAs a salaried manager, be prepared to WORK. Dish pays well and has bumped up the tuition reimbursement, however has been moving towards managing a people organization and needs to focus on the managers just much as we do the techs. There is still opportunity in this area.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork devices should not be locked down so much. It's hard to stay competitive when you don't have the necessary access.

A great place to work and surpass your own expectations!

ProsAs a Field Service Manager, I enjoy the opportunity I have to lead and mentor others. It is very rewarding to help others achieve their goals to be the best at their positions. Dish offers great pay and benefits to their team members! There are great incentives for providing "best in class" service to our customers. You receive uniforms, training, tools and work with a great team of people who want to be the best at what they do here at Dish!

ConsWe work in all types weather and provide service 365 days a year to our customers. Your schedule may require you to work on those days. The hours can be challenging especially in the beginning.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe incentives and benefits are great! Please keep surveying our team members to find out what we can do as management to improve and provide the best leadership going forward.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!

DISH Videos

DISH – Why Work for Us?

The Dish on DISH. Pride: We possess the integrity to set high goals and the commitment to achieve the results. We believe pride is a personal commitment, to do your best in everything you do.Our Core Values… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DISH reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DISH CEO Joseph Clayton. All 1,637 reviews posted anonymously by DISH employees.