DISH

1,889 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,213 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Electronic Technician

Former Employee - Electronic Technician in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician in El Paso, TX

I worked at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. Honestly without exaggerating it is the worst company I have ever worked for.

Cons

Favoritism
    Low pay
    Terrible Management
    The shift hours, who else makes you come in at 4am?

Value your employees more

nothing changes

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist IV in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist IV in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great co workers and i make good money (most don't). The customers are great and i have the to get out to different places and perform different tasks every day, a 12 hour work day goes buy very quick.

Cons

Dish puts you in a position to fail at every customer account, and you have to overcome obstacles put in place by dish to get gob done our you are penalized. Dish promises a customer will get a spanish speaking tech and making no effort to provide one, pulling the bait and switch for flex 24 contract customers, over booking almost guaranteeing many late arrivals each day and working late into the night. Recently dish has re worked bones and promotion programs, i have maxed out my promotion but a new higher has almost no chance of moving past level 2. Your bones criteria will then change to very high levels and you will no longer receive you bones and therefore stop promoting as the goals are alined. the goals are set high enough to eliminate year end raises for many older techs that do great work making them feel like they are being run out of town (they still work hard everyday, you will some of the best co workers full of pride and integrity only if dish had any as a company). Over my ten year i have seen many run off, after 10 years of good service they will start to look for a reason to let you go. and i am not bitter i am a to 50 tech and make my bones, but have up sell customers cheep stuff they don't need and cant afford and cut safety and quality install corners to do so, but dish has mad it clear that there focus lies in the bottom line and not in quality of life in employes and customers.

Decrease the turnover in software and put out a reliable product, and stop looking for the reason why we have trouble calls and no problem found returns (if you didn't you put test software on them changing the issue, hardware does not just go bad you put out an unstable software product).

Operations Manager

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

NOTHING! Poor benefits, no opportunities, no career path, unnecessary macro management, they don't trust their own employees, abuse of authority.

Cons

No wonder why Dish is the worst company to work with. Poor Management, GM never present when need it, RD promoting the "fear" culture, new district structure left GM's and ROM's on the street. New Regional Managers with no knowledge at all. Warehouse Supervisor position will disappear in three months.

The "suit - degree" culture is not working Mr. Clayton, we need Charlie back with "polo and kaki" who really cares about his own people.

Company has no more than 2 years. If Dish is not able to operate with voice service by 2016 government will cancel permit and will apply a fee. Like TIVO who destroyed Dish in court, making them paid around $200,000 for violating copyright.

Sprint was close to join Dish but when they figured out about the Churn rate they decline the offer. 1.60 % churn rate what is about 200,000 customers declining Dish service every quarter. Seriously Joe! Do you think that your "middle school" quarter rate on ATM"s will help Dish to surfive?

We need Charlie back

Subject matter experts need not apply

Current Employee - Director in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paycheck. It is under market by 15%...but it doesn't bounce. This is a plus. The secret police that is called HR needs to have a revamp at the Director level and one step below.

Cons

No matter what your background may be, the officers of the company will interrupt you during a presentation and not LISTEN to what you know inside and out. Employees certainly appreciate the fact that you have tenure and you have paid your dues. However, you are not that smart and don't always have all the answers. Operations officers should be understand this already. Stop interrupting and listen. I think there is a new talent planning or management program here (home grown) that addresses your need to be present and listen/engage/pay attention.

Look at all the other reviews here, look at the top 10 reasons you lose talent (linkedin) and get rid of old VPs and Directors that would rather manage by paralysis by analysis than put their neck out there and make a decision. Just because you made the wrong decision and may get chewed for it being wrong, you still made a decision and tried to give direction. Better luck next time. But congrats, you made a decision.

Favoritism all over again!!!!

Current Employee - Production Associate in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Production Associate in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

401k,over time, free programming,p4p incentive,tuition reimbursement,gold coins, unpaid time off

Cons

Production Supervisors have favorites, they créate schedules for their leáds that are tardy, even if you move them cells same results. The depotism and retaliation continúe. You have cameras everywhere and you cant see the Céll 8 lead spend hours in the production office? Oh yeah he brings the Manager food! Supervisors going and buying cofee to Circle K when they should be supervising their teams? Who promotes and allows this nepitism? Mike Mcklaskey, please help, the favoritism continúes,

Audit your Supervisors and Managers, or wait until the ship sinks. Mr. Director do your Job and stop saying you walk the walk,don't even have the courtesy to say Good Morning?

Still the worst company to work for

Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people they hire have potential.

Cons

You feel like you can loose your job at any moment. Management overlooks the employees that work hard. Every year the company fires people just so they can bring in new people and pay them less. This is a very greedy company that does not care about how long you have worked there or how many contributions you contributed, eventually they let everyone go. I can't wait to find another job so I can quit before they fire me like everyone else.

Be fair.

You will eventually "Hate" working here.

Current Employee - CsrII in Hilliard, OH
    Current Employee - CsrII in Hilliard, OH

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You do get free Service, Lazy Man Attendance Policy and decent 401k. They Lowered their Pay Rate for new employees from 12 to 11 and no pay raise for speciality skills.

Cons

Everyone who just starts working here loves it but by their year anniversary they see the horrible work environment Dish has. So any review given by anyone with less then a year in, is inaccurate.

Benefits are high deductable, even worse after Obama Care. No support for esculated calls where customers are abusive.Customers are abusive because Dish Loses channels ALL THE TIME. It's so Executives can fatten their wallets. They don't hide this fact either. Turner Broadcasting was taken down because Charlie wants to pay less and then once a year on 1/17 we do a price increase.Work Schedules are horrible because even if you found one you liked, a team you liked and a coach you liked just another year away from a NEW shift bid process. All the negative reviews about favoritism are true. I happen to be in good favor though due to my metrics are above their expectations and I help out on the team to get others like mine. For most part coaches try their best to do right by their team it's their boss and higher that have a negative impact on company morale and values. There is room for advancement in the company but problem is there are people not advancing to certain positions holding up the process for those who want it. Based on their career ladder. Understand Call center work is a non stop change of policy everyday you either adapt or they fire you. Dish does changes everyday even several a day. They have a database of changes called "Community" thats how bad and often they change their policies. If they Fire you don't sign resignation papers its so they don't have to pay you unemployeement. An unemployement office will pay you because you were never prepared for those changes so "DON'T SIGN RESIGNATION PAPERS"

ALL of you need to fire yourselves. Just takes One manager of a center to step up and call CWA-UNION to turn this place around.

No opportunities to grow: response

Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At least you spoke your mind. That's the beauty of glassdoor.

Cons

I think one of the first qualifications to grow is to speak/write proper English.

Good pay..if you want to be a salesman, horrible metrics.

Former Employee - Field Service Specialist IV in Hickory, NC
    Former Employee - Field Service Specialist IV in Hickory, NC

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, if you are a salesman and make "your" life revolve around dish. Benefits are decent, health insurance was good until recently. Bonus's were good until recently.

Cons

Company only cares about meeting sales quota each month, metrics are completely unfair, new Pi system ruins your chances for promotion. Worked there 1 and 1/2 years, was employee of the month made it to the final promotion level faster than anyone and I was let go because I put a small scratch on the van by accident. After I left, our office within the same month lost 3 employees that been there 10+ years. Managers are so shady and bunch of liars, they favor other employees to keep the office from getting in trouble, and punish the ones who honestly work hard. Impossible now to move up in promotion due to new system.

Take away sales quota, bring back old Pi system or do away with Pi system and increase hourly wage. Start auditing offices more often, pull Technicians off to the side and question them on office performance to weed out the cheating managers. Employee engagement survey should be quarterly, not yearly.

Horrible company and ignorant FSM's and Branch Managers

Current Employee - Remote Tech in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Remote Tech in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Auto deposit for pay, profit sharing

Cons

Everyone is afraid of what will happen to them if they are 1 minute late, or a customer calls with an issue, if a fly lands on a paper someone is wondering if they are going to get demoted for it. The culture of the company is fear, mistrust and lies. You are treated lower than dirt. They are trying to phase out the techs that have been here a long time so they can hire 2 for the price of one. They do this by cutting hours to 2 or three days a week, changing your days off constantly and making you work every weekend. They give you a weekend day off and then the next they take it away from you. Branch Managers are weasels who look out for themselves only and will throw you under a bus every time something comes along. It is a horrible place to work, I would rather die than work here but I have no choice at this time.

You are soul sucking people with no idea what happens in the field. You sit in your offices and dictate total nonsense to everyone else. Get your butt out in the field, shadow a tech for a few weeks. You know nothing of what we do.