DISH Reviews

Reset

2,198 Employee Reviews

Worst Management Team

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

The level of abuse that employees suffer through Dish creates an atmosphere twisted camaraderie.

Cons

After having worked in multiple large organizations, coming to Dish has been an eye opener. The company, famously "frugal", doesn't believe in fair pay for a fair days work. The senior management team is the worst kind of leadership... Incompetent and abrasive.

Salaried managers are treated like children and I liken it to suffocation. They take advantage of its people and work them until they finally quit. Dish cannot retain talent for these reasons.

Having met many members of upper level management, it's clear that there is no real leadership or investment in employees.

I've found that those who stay with Dish for any length of time simply do not have the potential to succeed elsewhere.

I have also found that most Senior Management and above lack any sort of education that would ensure their success elsewhere. Their lack of "options" is apparent with their unprofessional, uneducated "leadership".

Decisions are made with no discussions of the impacts to our "foot soldiers".

I've never worked for such an abusive, irresponsible, careless, and ignorant company like Dish.

When the CEO was asked what he thought of being voted the worst company to work for... He replied "that's ridiculous".

A true CEO should care about his employees experiences with his company.

Advice to Management

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Unless You Have No Other Options

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

You get your truck, tools and uniforms paid for. That's about the only good thing I can think of.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    - management is terrible
    - long hours
    - management is terrible
    - mandatory overtime in the summer
    - Medical/dental is a joke
    - Corporate culture...they don't know what that means.

"ALMOST" - Recent Bloomberg Business Interview w Ergen

Former Employee - Marketing and Corporate Communications in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing and Corporate Communications in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NONE - noticed multiple postings that DISH helped them grow, anyone claiming that the DISH experience helped them is delusional. Having DISH Network on your resume is a red flag. You are tainted meat, needing to be discarded. The recent Bloomberg interview with Ergen didn't go as deep as it should have. It did give a brief glimpse into the inner workings of this greed-headed weasel, but not nearly enough red meat was stripped off the carcass. The line re "over achievers" was repeated a few times. SPOILER ALERT - most humans can't hit Charlie's definition of over achiever. So the remaining 99% will require STRONG DRINK, or a damn good therapist to make the DISH experience work.

Cons

The back to back "Worst Company to Work for in the US" is well deserved, and shall return like the worst case of herpes imaginable, Chuck.

Advice to Management

Over achievers can't save you. There were over achievers at Auschwitz, pretty sure. And you really can't polish a turd.

Terrible Workplace

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are able to start off at a decent pay and meet new people.

Cons

There is a huge lack of opportunities within the company. They do not want to promote you because they are constantly changing and finding ways to hold you back.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees and give out more and equal opportunity for advancement.

Field Service Technician

Former Employee - Field Service Technician II in Salisbury, MD
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician II in Salisbury, MD

I worked at DISH

Pros

The only pro about working there is you can say "hey at least I have a job".

Cons

So most these reviews so mandatory over time. You make on national average $15 so I dont see how you can survive on forty hours a week with that. I took all the OVT I could get and yes it sucked sometimes but it wasn't that frequent. Be prepared, they only care about sales. You sign up to be a technician but they can care less whether you spent six hours at one job long as you sold something. Don't sell that day or two days in a row expect a phone call. They will harass the hell out of you about that. The monthly quota when I started in 2013 was $150 a month and went to $700 a month! Some months I did good, sometimes I didn't. Not my fault people didn't want to buy. I brought our merchandise in every job. On my days off I would get several phone calls until I answered to talk about my lack of sales.

One of the worse things about Dish is the metric systems for technicians. Every time a vast majority of techs hit goals and get bonuses they will change the metric system the next quarter, so yea, they can change it 4 times a year. The metrics simply are not fair. Customers order the Hopper and they dont have internet you are penalized. Someone missing a TV at the install and you TAGGED the account, still goes against you. They say they will reevaluate , but they don't. Customer tells you to put it on the roof and calls up three days later says he didn't tell you do that, guess what. They get a whole new roof. You are allowed a damage claim fund which is about $4000 a year. Small house, new shingles will eat about half of that. Leave a rut in the yard because there is snow and they didn't clear the driveway, thats about $1000.

The absolutely worse part about working there is you work in any and all conditions. any where from -15 below to 115 degrees. Management will tell you to do something that might be border line legal to say OSHA's regulations, but they will not go to bat for you to save their life.

The benefits are some of the worse in the country. Worthless as all hell.

Just remember when you apply and shake your new supervisors hand, you are looking at the next Lex Luther.

Advice to Management

Judges and lawyers don't have souls. Neither does Dish Network Field Service Managers nor Operation Managers.

Operation manager is a cutthroat

Former Employee - Level Four Technician (Marco) in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Level Four Technician (Marco) in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome 4 day schedule, CO workers ,free tv service,.money is OK I guess but could be alone better for the work that techs do

Cons

Give a lot of days off to employees when work is slow,managers don't have your back,only care about sales because tv service is horrible. When work is slow they accuse you of breaking rules and terminate people,3 in one week

Advice to Management

None because management only cares about themselves, especially operations managers

Stay Away!!!

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free TV (not really that great)
    -No one will ask why you left in future interviews in the Denver area. They always ask about the most horrible thing they did to you or coworkers.

Cons

-$12000 Health Insurance Deductible
    -Extremely Small HSA Contribution
    -Poor 401k Match
    -Hostile Work Environment
    -Extremely Poor Management
    -Badge Reports For All Employees (Including Senior Salaried Employees)

The list really goes on forever. If you enjoy getting yelled at or being treated in extremely hostile or illegal ways, you should definitely work here. I came into the company with high hopes and a previous high performer, but it doesn't matter how fantastic your final product is here. You will be berated, humiliated, abused, harassed, yelled at, and generally treated like trash. There's a reason everyone walks around like a zombie here.

KEEP IN MIND, Dish was rated as the worst company to work for in North America for three years in a row. The environment has not changed, but the amount of emails coming from senior management to submit 5 star reviews to Glassdoor has. HR and Recruitment has a policy of submitting 4 and 5 star reviews here as well for positions they can't fill (for obvious reasons). Just as a very serious and frank warning of where many of the positive reviews come from having worked in a senior role in the corporate office.

Advice to Management

I really have none. This company is so broken between Bernie, Charlie, and other incompetent senior executives that I'm amazed it's still around. There's a point of no return, and Dish has flown by it.

Literally the worst

Former Employee - Screener in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Screener in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH

Pros

Sometimes if you make friends with the sales floor, you can take their left-over, melted, extra ice cream blizzards from DQ that they get for rewards. Also the kitchen staff was pretty snarky which was a nice relief after the rigidity and strictness of all the managers.

Cons

Negative culture. High turnover. They do not value nor appreciate their employees. If you have a good idea, like how to improve a process, you're better off keeping it to yourself- nothing will ever get changed. Very separated departments even though everything is crammed into one building. You sit in a cube farm right next to your coworkers, but get in trouble for conversing with them, or laughing. I made friends with a coworker and they immediately switched our desks -fun suckers. I was repeatedly reprimanded for sitting at my desk with my heels off of my feet. BTW - you are expected to dress business professional although you NEVER will see someone outside of the company, literally just sit on the phone all day. Half the other people in the building do the same exact thing (sit on the phone all day) and get to wear jeans and pjs and hoodies. I asked for new supplies that I used to do my job every single day, and a week later had a used notebook literally thrown onto my desk with the advice to "make it last". Management is cowardly. My job could have been done by a robot, the only thing that mattered was the numbers I hit. It did not matter what quality of people I passed on in the hiring process, only if I was able to fill the center's training classes so that managers could hit their bonuses. I had someone tell me they were "an ahole" during an interview and after I tried to reject them from the process, my boss told me to instead send them through. They will literally hire ANYONE that applies for the call centers because they are so desperate to get their petty bonuses. Poorly run company. But it doesn't matter because the jobs are so menial, anyone can do them. There are several very obvious reasons that Dish is consistently rated the number one worst company to work for.

Advice to Management

Instead of building call centers in small, remote towns filled with idiots, build them in places with quality people. Then maybe turnover will be reduced and employees will slowly become more valued. But really, management, my advice would be to leave.

Sneaky company that will sacrifice anyone.

Former Employee - Trainer
    Former Employee - Trainer

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

Free TV service and "health benefits". I use that term loosely.

Cons

This company doesn't care how hard you work or if you are good. You can be a top performer and become collateral damage for a hidden agenda. You mean nothing to them. Performance Evals are a joke. If they like you, you get a good one. I always had good performance Evals and in the end, I was nothing. I was fired without ever being in trouble or having a "talking to". Nada. I was fired over a policy that didn't apply to my job level. I was told it did not apply to me and was directed by management to do my job in a way that would have been a direct violation of the policy. When it was convenient for them, and it served their agenda of getting rid of someone else, all of a sudden this policy did apply to me and I was fired as collateral damage. Not even a "hey, we know we told you one thing, but now it's changing. Don't do that anymore." Be careful.

Advice to Management

Your business suffers because you all have no clue what you are doing. Stop using the Peter Principal to promote. If a job requires a certain level of skill and education, stick to it and quit promoting "someone's bestie".

dns installation/sales/and whatever else they add

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Starting pay sucks tqkes about two years to make decent money

Cons

Where to start....if your looking for good mix of work and fqmily time...forget it...on the job description it stqtes four days on qnd three off...you can go to mandqtory 6 days a week with little or no notice you start at seven and when your route is finished then u leqve here and example i was on my wqy home and manager calls said a tech had gone to a house at two and again later but cust was not home could i swing by this was five thirty sure enough i got there and she was home moving her stuff in....no tvs no furniture well by this time her job was in my route i saw this was a mover about a two and a hqlf hour job it began getting dark no cables in the house only line of sight for satelitte was on third story roof cqlled my boss get it done he says now its raining..and dark...only way to get a ladder to reach was sitting it on a wood deck ten feet above the ground and extending it the full 24 feet up ...in the dark and the rqin..cqlled again to voice my concerns..dish tells us dont be on a ladder in the rain...he says he dosent care get it done...needless to say i was there till 930 she only had one reciever so thats a guarqnteed trouble call that counts agaisnt me...dish is full of these stories...terrible metrics that affect your pay several of which you have no control over as a way for dish to take money out of your pocket....here they are ...daily completion rate...when you are assigned a job for the dqy you must complete it no matter whqt....no line of sight because of trees? Cust not home or reschedules? Changes their mind? All your fault...trouble call 12...if a tech has to go back out to a house for any reason within 12 days...ur fault....cust ran over their dish? Changed the input and is to stupid to put it back? Only had one tv when u were there and could only install one? Your fault not to mention most i go out on about 90 percent were due to dishes cheqp remanufactured equipment failing..connectivity...dish expects you to connect 60 to 65 percent of all hopper jobs to the internet ...but standard operating procdure for dish now is everyone gets a hopper ...its the most expensive system they hqve ....cust in the middle of nowhere? Your fault heres more out of ur check....csat score ...after u leave dish calls...you are expected to get a 9.7 percent average per month on call backs...bqsically a perfect ten every time...but they also dont want you to tell the cust about that...most people think if you give an eight or nine thats great! Not dish...ten....always....period...no signal fails....dish now expects you to run a test on every hopper job to ensure minimum signal ...sounds easy enough...but...if its raining...tough....you hqve to run it and fail...if u dont run it its an automatic fail...more money gone...see how one sided that system is? The managers are company yes men....they care nothing about you or ur life cust ask the impossible sometimes but you qre expected to do it and now dish adds sales on top of everything else..on the job descripiton it states...you will hqve the opportunity to offer products and services to your customers..you get points for everythng you sell...but you are required to sell an average of 10 to 15 dollars at every job you visit....we started at 250 a month then three then four then five then six...with this new system you had better be selling and average of eight hundred to a thousand dollars a month all with absolutley no trianing..and if you dont....you get written up...three times your out even though its not in the job description as having to meet a quota because they cant call it that...theyd have to deal with commission...its called a goal...u can be perfect in every other aspect but u will get written up and canned...management states we cant be fired for not making sales so what does hr come up with? Were not writing up up beacuse u didnt meet ur goal were writting up up because you arent exhibiting the behaviours associated with selling....ie tqking in hdmi cables to offer to cust...the communication between departments is completely lacking....ive called into dish before and gotten two to three different answers to the same question...upper management is nonexistent...they dont care...we are like the tools in our bags....except they are taken care of. We are the face of dish...the only people our cust sees....we get there and they are pissed we handle it...crazy cust..we handle it...screwed up work order...we hqndle it...most places if u work and do q good job...u get promoted....not here..u hqve to do .an astronomical job....plus five metrics...and when u top out on pay...your stuck there is almost absolutely no chqnce for a tech to be promoted out of that position...u can make level two three and four but each time you level up your metrics change and get harder to achieve...everyone i work with absolutely hates their job...its agravating ..add onto that if it raining snowing sleeting hailing ur in it...ive been on q ladder in qn ice storm with icicles forming on my ladder and hat...dish absolutely dosent care...management only cares if u get ur jobs done and sell some crap...cust dont care...if your looking for a fast paced job where u are under appreciated overworked and expected to work regardless for ur safety with absolutely no opportunity to advance out of the field where you are basically a drone that is completely expendible...dish is your place.

Advice to Management

Quit...move on....get rid of all upper management start fresh..and realize that you dont get ahead by punishing the people who matter the absolute most to your compqny...the people who do your installs trouble shoot ..calm the pissed off customers and takr their abuse....and absolutley stop hiring for promotions outside the compqny!!! What does that tell your in house employees? No wonder the morale in your compqny sucks! I hqve worked in upper management for a large retail compqny qnd i have never seen such rampant disregard for employees ever!

Showing 2,198 of 2,226 reviews