DISH

1,889 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,213 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to get your foot in the door for this type of work.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

4 days on 3 days off work schedule (except in the summer with mandatory overtime 5 on 2 off.) Plenty of money to make with this company. Incentive plan setup to give bonuses to you for performing well $50 to $350 extra per paycheck for exceptional performance. Selling products at appointments can earn you points to purchase anything from tv's to vacations.

Cons

At times the stress level is outrageous especially when you are new. Sometimes the workload will have you coming home very late. If there are problems that arise at a job it could mean that you will be there a lot longer than you wanted/were given time for. If customers cancel the appointment instead of rescheduling if will probably affect the amount of bonus you are going to get. (There is a completion rate that is expected for jobs and depending on the reason for not completing the job your numbers may be affected greatly sharply declining that bonus incentive.)

I think it would be a good idea to have technicians work in pairs sometimes, especially for big jobs. Many times I worked long hours because I was by myself but with a second person we could have finished the job in half the time.

Working in the call center is akin to being in an abusive relationship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free TV services - though unnecessary, it was fantastic to have the biggest poackage at no cost.
    The pay was decent for the most part.
    The benefit structure improved with the Affordable Care Act, but not a great deal.
    Open-office policy with site management was great.
    Career opportunities were always available in the career center site. Almost no feedback ever provided to internal employees seeking transfers if transfer denied.

Cons

Negative reinforcement was all my call center was able to provide. Rarely were actual day-to-day successes mentioned, or positive aspects that one does on the job. Some of my previous supervisors would have to add in the positive aspects, because evaluation forms did not give this in any way.
    Office culture - What a joke...negativity abounded at my call center. Cliques, such as I last encountered in middle and high school, ran rampant and were increasingly hostile as time went on. God forbid it if you ever expressed an opinion/thought/truth that wasn't what the majority held.
    Scheduling/Hours - Zero flexibility whatsoever. Always based on "business needs" even when the schedules did not make any sense with the queues.
    People with disabilities - If you had a physical disability, management was more than willing to provide reasonable accommodations. If you have a mental health disability, then you're out of luck here. No reasonable accommodation was ever discussed or provided.
    Training - substandard at best. Many front-line customer service agents were not trained to use systems or intranet searches for policy information. Information regarding processes and workarounds was not shared among internal helpdesk department, it was hoarded and never made available to all in the department.

Contact an expert regarding mental health. Don't assume, don't judge, don't be prejudiced against the person. Do not rely on anyone in HR to provide you on how to deal with someone with mental health issues. Contact a mental health professional!
    Provide positive constructive feedback instead of negative reinforcement. QA should provide actual feedback, both positive and constructive, to improve agents.
    Cut the CEO and Board of Directors' pay. Give that pay to your agents, who are the ones that ensure you have a business day to day. All of them, including those overseas, are underpaid and under-appreciated for their day-to-day work. 20-40% more in base pay would help.
    Better comprehensive training for all agents in all departments. If an agent cannot open an account in their systems properly using a button labeled "Access Account", then training has failed massively.

Underachieving Areas

Former Employee - Operations Analyst I in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst I in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some people are good, Very good product, i.e. Hopper

Cons

Focus more on employees from feeder system schools than who are currently achieving, plenty of people have negative attitudes, little to no praise for good work.

Listen better to your employees and the needs of certain departments

Not the best

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Technical Support in Christiansburg, VA

I worked at DISH

Pros

Fast pace environment, great coworkers

Cons

The only constant at Dish is change.

Be more involved in your employees feelings, and maybe the turnover rate wouldn't be so high.

Worst company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DISH

Pros

None ( overtime apply depending of the department you work)

Cons

Bad management
    Favoritism
    Low pay
    Extremely poor yearly raised
    Bad benefits

More like advice for the company.... value more your employees. ...

Ridiculous

I worked at DISH (less than an year)

Pros

They have Available overtime, provide both a lunch room and break room, good start up training, and good front door security.

Cons

Unrealistic goals to keep one's job. Such as always changing your position even when you are not ready for advancement, or advising you of it before your shift to you or your supervisor. Massive turn overs!!!!

Make sure you're helping your employees, not in it for yourself

Could be such an amazing company! Unfortunately it is not...

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

-Fast Paced
    -Lots of opportunity for gaining experience in different business verticals
    -Gives you an opportunity to try, fail and try again
    -There are a lot of good intentions throughout organizations
    -Customer focused at it's core

Cons

-Poor management culture and philosophy
    -Benefits/pay is dismal
    -The Pay for Performance environment is non-existent
    -Will burn employees out frequently
    -Does not truly have concern for the individual
    -Is absolutely consumed with the bottom line to a fault

Challenge the status quo! Just because it has been done a certain way forever, doesn't mean it is the right way (nor the best way)!

Great company to gain valuable skills and knowledge of the industry.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Impressive training courses, great benefits, extra pay incentives for performance, and team oriented atmosphere focused on success. Fantastic company to work for, I thoroughly enjoyed my training with Matt R. at the Riverfront-Littleton, CO location. He gave me all the tools and knowledge I need for personal and professional success. I have never worked for a company with such friendly and knowledgeable employees, and I believe those that complain about this company do not invest in their own success and therefore are not rewarded by the company. Put in the effort and the company will take care of you, and reward you for your work.

Cons

There are many challenges to overcome on a daily basis, the interview and training process can become overwhelming, and there is not much available time to complete all necessary tasks. With good time management and organization these obstacles are easily overcome.

I would advise management to offer more one-on-one training opportunities to the employees that may struggle in certain areas as well as less restriction on the time taken between calls while working on issues of customer service (updating memos, etc.) but overall it's a good company to work for.

Run. This place will suck your soul and asperations out and spit you back out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Learing about ineffective management techniques, and it's close to Denver.

Cons

Horribly managed company from the top down. The coo has such a micro focus that the large elephants in the room go unseen. Management for the top down should be evaluated and removed promptly. If managers and VP's are unable to make a decision or would rather defer serious problems to other unrelated departments, how does this behavior trickle down. There also seems to be some odd law in Dish that states senior executives and managers can yell and curse at employees because it's been a stressful day, or they don't like the employee's department.
    Benefits are horrible, and the do enforce the time clock so be prepared to be tracked.

Current management and departments need a complete overhaul, with many managers leaving

Supervisor - DNS/IHS

I worked at DISH

Pros

Not too many to list. Good people work there, sad to see them be treated so poorly.

Cons

Trimming lower staff & managers while creasing massive work load & higher expectations that aren't obtainable.

Don't be so quick to eliminate positions or write people up. Need to hold high management people more accountable for their actions and how they treat people on a daily basis. Very poor communication from upper management. Very poor handling of of business rules and writing the business rules/ SOP. I'm thankful I no longer work there.