DISH Reviews

2,360 Employee Reviews

1. Accounting Department Insight

Current Employee - Director of Accounting in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Accounting in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked in the Accounting department at DISH for nearly 4 years. I can tell you that we are an awesome team of 150 highly dedicated professionals. We invest in the development of each person on our team. We strongly believe in DISH employees pitching in to help DISH employees. As such, the Accounting department has a number of volunteer committees that help us in our pursuit to be world class. Overall, we are extremely proud of the quality service and work product that we consistently deliver to our customers. DISH is a forward looking company that is deeply rooted in its cultural values. If your personal values align with DISH’s cultural values and you possess high energy, intelligence and a need to achieve then you will love working at DISH. The DISH culture can be best summarized by the PAW. Pride: We possess the integrity to set high goals and the commitment to achieve the results. We believe pride is a personal commitment, to do your best in everything you do. Adventure: We dare to follow the uncharted course, we make mistakes and we learn from them. We are willing to take risks and have the confidence to overcome obstacles along the way. Our goal is clear even if the path isn't. Winning: There is no substitute for winning. We possess the discipline and the competitive spirit to make winning a reality. In addition to cultural fit, DISH looks to hire individuals with high energy, intelligence and a need to achieve. High Energy: The energy in our culture is contagious. We have an internal drive that allows us to persevere despite the odds. We ask questions and work hard because we are committed to our goals. Intelligence: Our business is complex and to compete we need smart people who can learn and adapt quickly. We are looking for employees who can solve complex problems with simple solutions. Need for Achievement: DISH values employees with aspirations of growth and advancement. If you like to be challenged your ambition will be at home here. DISH truly is an exciting and fun company. DISH operates in a highly competitive industry. Our team is full of high energy, highly intelligent people that wake up every morning thirsty to compete.

Cons

Potential employment candidates need to have a certain degree of patience as DISH is very selective in the hiring process. We try to be thorough yet efficient as we focus to hire individuals that we believe have the potential for a very successful career at DISH.

CSR III

Former Employee - Customer Resolutions Specialist III in Weslaco, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Resolutions Specialist III in Weslaco, TX

I worked at DISH (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers were great. Most will help you out to figure out what to do. Alot of team work.

Cons

Bad medical insurance, pay was not up to par.

Advice to Management

Upper management was out of touch with the underlings. It was alll numbers and other isssues. Corporate needs to get a slap in the face to come back to the real world.

Things changed

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unfortunately those days have come and gone

Cons

I was a 15 year employee with several breaks in employment due to military obligation. They used to really care about their employees and valued their experience. But a couple years ago, the company started being more concerned about their overseas site and outsourced agents. Their outsourced agents are not properly trained and it seems corporate doesn't pick up on this. I guess they would rather value some agent that cannot read a statement properly than an experienced agent. Also the center where I used to work, they seemed to promote agents that had little experience rather than those with years of experience. I had several coworkers try to get a supervisory position but were declined because they were told either they weren't out going enough or weren't what they were looking for aka brown nose. Fellow employees in my department felt like we were targeted. There was a saying the current management had was that they valued potential not experience. It seemed to hit a little to close to home.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate your training. Currently there are too many agents that cannot think out of the box as you used to preach.

5. tech

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okmulgee, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okmulgee, OK

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great benifits 401k selling perks

Cons

work all days of the year

Advice to Management

none great company

6. Classic corporate bureaucracy, shady practices

Former Employee - Field Sales Development Representative
    Former Employee - Field Sales Development Representative

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked as a Field Sales Development Representative. Covered expenses for travel, food. Co-workers were fun people. Nice tiered matching 401k plan. Worked from home, created our own schedules.

Cons

The CEO at the time, Charlie Ergen: Not a nice guy. Every year, Dish has a convention. It was mandatory that the FSDR's attend this conference and work 14-16 hour days without any additional pay (we were salaried employees.) Wake up at 5:30 am, get back to the hotel at 9 or 10pm, do it all again the next day. We didn't get a chance to enjoy ourselves at all, it was all about the free work they were getting out of us. One day near the end of the convention, I had just gotten off a grueling 13 hour shift. I untucked my shirt and was walking about the convention center when I ran into Charlie Ergen. I shook his hand, told him it was nice to meet him, and went about my business. An hour later, my boss approaches me and scolds me for not having my shirt tucked in. Apparently, Charlie Ergen had complained to one of his VP's that I didn't have my shirt tucked in, and it eventually got back to me... The mileage reimbursement is also very low for our travels. We were getting around 30 cents a mile for traveling, when it was costing us at least 45 cents a mile to travel in our cars (a lose lose situation.) I saw my immediate supervisor once every 4 to 6 months. Usually at a meeting for the FSDR's. He travels to meet me in my city at one point, and we meet up at a local mall. He informs me that they're letting me go. He said it wasn't his decision, but a call he got from corporate in Colorado. I asked him why, and he said he had no idea. We conference called HR, and I asked HR why I was being let go, and they said they didn't have to tell me. Someone who I never knew or met from corporate decided to lay me off, just to save money apparently. To make matters worse, when I filed for unemployment, Dish Network disputed it. They hire a law firm to automatically dispute unemployment claims from all of their former employees, whether it was justified or not. This practice should be completely illegal. They couldn't even explain to me why they were letting me go, nor tell me who made the decision, yet they want to dispute my unemployment claim? I appealed it, and a conference call was set up between Dish, me, and the arbitrator. The first call, someone from the HR department with Dish was the only person on the call. The arbitrator asked why I was let go, and she said she didn't know and wouldn't be able to answer the question. The arbitrator rescheduled the conference call a few weeks down the road, with instructions that my two bosses would have to be on the call. A few weeks later, the arbitrator called me. He then tried reaching out to get in touch with my two bosses. They were "unavailable." Needless to say, the arbitrator ruled in my favor and I received my unemployment.

Advice to Management

Don't automatically dispute unemployment claims from all former employees. Increase compensation for travel. Don't force salaried employees to work ridiculous hours at trade shows without additional bonuses or incentives. Improve communication from the top down, especially in the cases of termination.

Senior Technical Admin

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture at Dish is evolving towards a positive environment. They are working towards a resource-managed projects to share resources across different disciplines.

Cons

The benefits still lack in value. Responsibilities and project timelines are not feasible; unfortunately this sets up the project and members of the project for potential failure.

Advice to Management

Need to have suitable managers in place with the necessary background for managing technical teams.

8. Great Experience

Pros

Great opprotunity to grow your career

Cons

Drive time and messy upper managment

9. Longs hours, good pay, got to sell

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Benefits, work on your own, and provide tools for you. Good overtime if wanted. Mangers are for the most part understanding

Cons

Sell sell sell. You must sell..they turned technicians into salesman...used to get b good incentive pay,but that is pretty much impossible to getnnow

10. DISH - way better than some of these reviews make it sound

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work at DISH's corporate headquarters, and my experience has been great! The culture gives people a lot of responsibility, the access to senior management and executives is second to none, and corporate employees can actually see their impact on the company. It can be an intense work environment - expectations are high and you should expect to be busy, but the experience and learning opportunities are great. The level of responsibility that people get at DISH is what makes it so exciting and such a unique place.

Cons

Yes, you will be expected to be at work by 9 - but honestly, is that such a hardship?

Advice to Management

Improve the benefits so they are on par with other companies of similar size.

terrible company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH (More than a year)

Pros

terrible company to work for. not much positivity. team meetings have nothing to do with anything. companies goals are always changing job security is very low

Cons

pretty much everything about the job. terrible hours terrible pay everybody that works there looks like they're about to pull out all their hair and everybody is always talking about looking for another job

Advice to Management

sell the company your business is doomed for failure. you penalize your employees for not making the sale when you drive-in terrible leads that are unqualified

Showing 2,360 of 2,393 reviews