DISH Reviews

1,742 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,114 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons (in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Dish Network the absolute worst company ever worked for.

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Good, hungry for success and hardworking coworkers.

Cons

everything. No opportunity, poor pay, horrible management, commission structure that always works against you. you must read the entire disclosureat the end of every saleand if you miss one word 3 sales can be taken away from you. but as important as these disclosures arethe customer is never contactedwhich is an indicator of how non important it is and how it is a way to take away hard earned money.

treat your employees like you and want to be treated yourself.

STRESSFUL, GENERAL MANAGER HAS FAVORITES, HIGH TURNOVER, DON'T TRUST HUMAN RESOURCES

Current Employee - Dr Dish  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Dr Dish in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The trainers were great. Good pay. Beautiful location. When the center opened up it was a great place to work.

Cons

The pay is good but the benefits are horrible for one who is family oriented. My hiring class was 20 people. After the first year half the hiring class was gone, the second year 3/4 of the class was gone, and by the fourth year there is only 2 left. The center also lowered the pay scale. The coaches are neither educated nor professional. Warning: Do not get on the General Manager's bad side or you will be targeted for termination no matter how good the track record. High turnover.

Listen to your employees and stop consulting with human resources on the best way to fire employees. This may turn into a legal issue if discovered. I've heard this directly from a coach.

Avoid this employer at all costs

Current Employee - Operations Analyst II
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst II

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only thing good about this are some of the people who really care about their customers. Too bad the good customer service people are thrown out regularly.

Cons

Unless you are on the phones, you will never advance in your career goals. If you are behind the scenes in QA, IT or in Operations you will never advance. Management expects immediate results without the proper tools to support immediate expectation of results. Management is constantly looking for a quick fix to a problem and continuously ignores the underlying issues that would make a difference to the overall goals of the company, resulting in movement upwards for J.D. Power and ACSI. Instead they concentrate on outlier issues that would make no measurable difference in overall customer service and micromanage the outlier points. Any plans that do make a difference to overall company results, they either quash or take credit for design without acknowledging the actual contributor of the action plan. Often this is because they do not understand the mathematics behind how the plan is designed, nor the proper way to execute and apply the action plan without it being broken down into the equivalent of "See Spot run".

Invest in proper tools that are industry standard and validated instead of trying to reinvent or copy patented designs of software. Give credit to the individuals who actually design and create the work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management is not fair

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

Like the shift hours, don't like management

Cons

Recently we were told nobody from 3rd shift had perfect attendance, but talking to other associates from the other 2 shifts, we found out several of them received PA and they had in their record the same thing we were disqualified for like coming back from lunch 1 minute early or late. This reason is so stupid or the manager in 3rd shift that disqualified the people just does not care.

Get together with other managers and do things the same way.

"Dissh-ues!"

Current Employee - Field Service Manager  in  Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Riverside, CA

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Free tv. Okay pay if you're a squeeky wheel and can illustrate your abilities properly with the mostly obsurd metrics and or annual performance appraisals.

Cons

No-home-life. unreasonable work hours. In-home-services has a calendar which predicts the future called the RPT, non-sense.

The company is attempting to re-image themselves and acting like the problem is the at the bottom level of employees. The "dissh-ues" are much larger then that and start at the top of the company. Unreasonable metrics which are held against you and used to fire anyone they want to as needed. The place is a revolving door because there's no loyalty to employees and therefore no loyalty to the company.

The PMO is dysfunctional.

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing to add as a "pro".

Cons

Very competitive, paranoid management. Little interest in the workers. And that starts with Ergen himself. I see no hope for this company as long as Ergen is in charge.

Empower your managers to do annual reviews without scrutiny clear up to the top.

DISH Treats its Employees Like Trash

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

If i had to sum up my time at DISH, I would say that it was overall a miserable place to work. It deserves to be the worst employer in the world. Now, I can tell you that I actually enjoyed my first six or so month on the job. After that, everything went completely downhill. I once heard one of the VP's tell a group of people that if you weren't cheating, then you weren't doing your job correctly. How horrible is that?

Some Pros:
    I did like some of the people I got to work with, some were horrible as well
    Great technology
    Free DISH service

Cons

Good luck ever taking a vacation day off. They will still call you every five minutes.
    Worst culture I've ever seen.
    They dont care about their employees.
    The pay scale for their employees is so off. Men get raises and promotions while women never do. Seriously the compensation for men on average must be atleast 20% higher for the same job.
    They said they did away with the badge report (being in the office from 9-4) but that is completely untrue. It still exists.
    It matters more about sucking up to management then it does about how good you are at your job.
    That place is like big brother. Your every move is being watched from the cameras around the building and parking lot, to badging in and out.
    The benefits there are awful. They say that the benefits are good. All lies.
    ZERO work/life balance. They want you to work more and more. 50+ hours is not enough.

Clean house in HR. That group is toxic. They are completely unethical. No wonder the turnover in that department has been so high.

Easy job made hard by management imposed stress

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Thornton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice, intelligent coworkers.

Cons

Unrealistic metrics.
    Customer Satisfaction Scores (CSAT) are based on a system of 1-5, 1 being bad. 90% of the time, customers will give you a 1 or a 5. No in-between. If you get a 1, it takes 5 mores calls rated at 5 to get above the 4.4 rating requirement. I actually had a 1 because the lady had to wait to long for an to respond. We respond as soon as the last person hung up. I had actually given her $25 of a month for 10 months and she seemed very happy with me when the call was finished. People tending to take the voluntary surveys of which the CSAT scores are measured by, have an agenda before they call. They are often people who want there service turned back and haven't paid their bill. I constantly had more customers compliment me on my help to them each month than took the survey. When I checked a bad CSAT with my coaches, rarely did know of anything that could have been done differently. Just one of the metrics measured by the company.

The company asks you to say things to your customers which at the very minimum are tacky if not unethical. For example, A call from relatives who wanted of a very recently deceased account holder asked to have a future dated cancel while they were staying at the residence for a week during the funeral arrangements etc. All future dated cancels have to make an offer created by a special group who determine the amount and duration of any offer. If you don't contact them, you get dinged. After contacting, I asked to not have to make the offer thinking it very tacky to do so to persons in morning.
    If the customer cancels an account and have a credit balance, you are instructed to tell them, they do not owe DISH any money and to not refund unless they realize they should have a credit and request it.
    There are multiple instances of such required behavior.

I do not know of a single CSR who does not feel constantly pressured. You'll find another review amongst these where a current employee of 13 years feels like she's about to be fired everyday. When I left the company, my manager told me she understood it was a hard job. I wanted to tell her, the jobs not hard, DISH makes it hard. This company has a 400% turnover (in accordance to a manager). No wonder.

Subordinates are not ignorant, listen to them. Stop marketing to employees and treat them like part of the company instead of manipulating them. Stop guiding your employees into making misleading statements to your customers. Develop a realistic measuring system for rating your employees work.

Don't care for the employees.

Current Employee - Remote Technician  in  El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Remote Technician in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are ok. And the discount dish bill is alright.

Cons

The biggest challenge working for this company is trying to get a raise. As a remote tech. We have too meet certain metrics and maintain them for a period of time . This also goes for the techs that go to the warehouse daily. And the metrics are ridiculous. One metric that hurts a lot of remote techs is hip connectivity. As a tech we can't control if the customer has Internet or even a home phone. I get a lot of jobe where customer don't have either one. And I have to take the hit on my metrics. And the metric to maintain for connectivity is around 50%. And this is just one metric that is ridiculous. Another is completion. During your route if a job cancels after 8am. We get a non completion. Which brings our metrics down. And eventually prevents us from promoting. Dish talks about the technician being the face of the company, but when the face of the company needs and deserves a raise. The company just turns it's head and says well your metrics don't meet the qualifications. But keep on selling shs and put more money in our pocket or your fired. And as a remote technician. (Which means works in a remote area where there is countless miles of nothing. ) we have to do our own inventory and stock our own trucks . And on our own day off most likely all remotes sit at home wait for ups to deliver anywhere from 5 to 7 boxes that weight roughly 60 lbs. And we have to serialize all receivers and send in a daily count. Which the techs that don't have to do this. The ones that drive to warehouse daily and have the warehouse guys do all that for them. Start out at the same base pay as a remote tech. I think that the company is good to work for only for a little while. And not try to make a career out of it. You will only work yourself tired. And then get told you have to work mandatory overtime. No questions.

Why don't you office guys put on a tool belt and get routed by yourself for a couple of days and see what us technicians go through on a daily basis.

You can probably do better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

There are some good people here and a lot of opportunities and exposure.

Cons

Pay is frequently less than commensurate positions elsewhere. High deductible health insurance. Very few holidays and only 10 vacation days per year even though you will surely be expected to work nights and weekends from time to time. Stingy travel policy, micro-managing execs, and way too many meetings.

Stop micro-managing and overreacting and do your jobs planning, strategizing and facilitating.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!