DISH Reviews

2,193 Employee Reviews

Micromanaging crappy management

Former Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Gorham, ME
    Former Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Gorham, ME

I worked at DISH (Less than a year)

Pros

No longer work there received a better job more pay less stress no micromanaging and treat you with respect as a person and employee instead of just a body that when they area Done with you they can push out the door and lie about so that if you didn't have another job option or opportunity line up you would not be able to collect unemployment to provide for your family

Cons

Micromanaging of technicians dispatch has no idea of the routes technicians cross each other's path all day you are treated as inferior have to call management for every decision management will lie if they want to get rid of you you don't get reimbursed for your expenses like you're supposed to and when you do leave they want you to return all of the uniforms which is okay and even after you return them they still try to talk your pay for the uniforms I would basically say try to avoid working for this company at all cost their pay is decent when you are a level one technician but I expect you to be a salesman when you are supposed to be a tech not a salesman they will in fact write you up for not meeting your sales goal that I set they will in fact write you up for not meeting your sales goal that I set and if you do happen to create an fraction of their policies they do not follow their policies as it is stated in the handbook

Advice to Management

Find management that is willing to work with their cruise and not cutthroat technicians just because they feel the need to or in other words get rid of people and management who have never been technicians and take former technicians or technicians and put them into a management position I bet it would run more effective and smoothly and cost-effective for a management personnel who is a former technician to know what it's like in the field

Dish tech

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

2 weeks paid vacation after 90 days, full employment benefits also

Cons

Lousy pay, they can fire u if u don't make sales, the fsm's don't like to help the field techs

3. Warehouse

I worked at DISH

Pros

Warehouse Supervisor was not very bright, so it was easy to make inventory disappear during his count. Buckets of free AAA batteries were also nice.

Cons

constant layout and policy changes with tasks that were literally, 'Order this tool for every employee, issue them out with threats of pay deductions, 2 months later retrieve them all and charge for missing ones, then issue them to FSMs' or 'Move this from here to that shelf, Two months later New system announced bring them back and put one on every truck/van' and we will use desks, no stand up terminals, no we do everything on tablets now, no now we use smartphones AND stand up terminals, but we have stools on the way

Advice to Management

Get out of the growing pains and just pick something for a couple of years. For more than 5 years we were changing policies, uniforms, tools, trucks, shelves, layouts....... changing every couple months!

Loyalty Rep

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harlingen, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harlingen, TX

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

it was a fun company in the beginning i use to love going to work.

Cons

The managers and coaches there always have their favorites. they let me go for no reason and they put on the paperwork that it was for csats when i wasn't have not written up for. the company makes go to work on your days off for mandatory overtime and they care if you have plans or family to take care of.

Underpaid, Under appreciated, Mismanaged, Stressful Work Environment, and ABUSE.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Full-time hours
    -Free Satellite TV
    -Basic benefits

Cons

-Extra time hours with no overtime pay.

-Lack of clear company protocols and business rules keep changing to suit the needs of the Executives and NOT the customers or employees. New business tools are implemented that are used to frustrate both the customer and the employees. Creating a very poor atmosphere to work in. This angers both the customers and employees.

-Very low starting wage at $10 an hour and Hispanic agents start at $11 an hour. There is “Pay for Performance” but the constant implementation of new business policies hinders the ability of agents to make bonus and creates a FRUSTRATING environment to work in. Wage increases are rarely or never fulfilled even after completion of extra/mandatory training.

-Basic benefits with a “generous” $3000 deductible and rises every year! How are we supposed to afford this at our wage?!

-Hostile Customers and no protocols in place to stop or effectively deal with abuse from customers. We are expected to be treated inhumanely by people over the phone or risk being terminated. I have seen some agents crying or left in emotional state while management could care less about the status of their mental health. You are expected to just tolerate it.

-Poor company morale. Management and trainers will often humiliate employees. Agents placed in higher positions will often abuse their position to front-line agents. They do this by marking the transferred calls sent to them as invalid, even if company protocols suggest transferring that call to their department. This effects the ability for front-line agents to progress within the company as it effects the agent’s metrics. There is NO RECOURSE for this form of abuse. Agents in higher positions get away with this abuse, while the front-line agents marked as invalid are scolded and reprimanded.

-No room for advancement, high turnover rate, people are “chosen” not based on education or skill level for positions but for their ability to up-sell. The advance technical department (Dr. Dish) hasn’t had openings in years. Don’t count on being “chosen” for that department if your tech savvy and bright.

Advice to Management

Stop changing company policy that only hinders providing QUALITY customer service. Put in place company protocols to not only retain customer but EMPLOYEES as well. Outsourcing to developing countries won't resolve your issues and will only attribute to customer dissatisfaction. Happy employees equals happy customers.

Ok if you're just starting in the workforce

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cheap TV, most employees were awesome! Most of my direct managers were great.

Cons

The company is transitioning field techs into salespeople who can fix things. You can have 10 percect customer surveys but if you get one that doesn't score you as a perfect "10" you can forget about making your metrics. Before I left the company the requirement for field technician sales was over $600 per month. One FSM in particular was giving the ok to use deceptive sales practices to sell things. Constantly changing performance metrics makes it near impossible to get bonuses unless you cut corners or consistently exceed your sales goals. If you are an excellent sales person then there is no need to worry about your other metrics. After the numerous changes to the metrics it became clear to me that the company was doing it so they wouldn't have to pay out bonuses without actually having to eliminate this "incentive". I left a field tech position with the local cable company for this job because of their focus on the customer at the time. It is a decision that I regret now. Micromanagement is making a strong comeback in this company and is a style of management that I despise.

Advice to Management

Listen to lower level employees and start focusing on the customer again. Make realistic metrics that give good techs the ability to attain them without having to make concessions to quality and customer service. Stop trying to turn field technicians into sales people. If we wanted to sell stuff we would have applied for a job in Sales.

8. Good money, that's about it.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and plenty of working hours.

Cons

Just about everything else. Don't plan on having a life outside of work. Micro management is rampant throughout all levels of management.

Advice to Management

The face of the company shouldn't be held to unattainable standards. Don't alienate the little man.

9. Horrible Place To Work

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in West Allis, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in West Allis, WI

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounted television service and the technicians were great individuals who are some of the hardworking people I have had the pleasure of working with

Cons

Ridiculous expectations from management because corporate ideology is always to hire management externally so no conflict of ideology. Lying to customers during installs and trying to coerce additional sales is not only praised but also expected. As Quality Assurance I was determined as adverse in my performance if internal technicians passed QAS over 35% of the time which would deny their promotions immediately.

Advice to Management

Operations side needs to either be revamped from the ground up or simply get rid of internal technician operations altogether and let it all be subcontracted out. It's pretty sad Dish continues to be rated as one of the worst places to work year over year.

10. DO NOT APPLY AT THE BENICIA CA. DISH OFFICE!!!

Former Employee - Tech IV in Benicia, CA
    Former Employee - Tech IV in Benicia, CA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is ok , co-workers were good to work with . I cant speak for the other Dish facilities since I heard other facilities were good , but if your going to apply for Dish ," Do not apply for the Benicia office location " unless your planning to look for another job 2 months down the road !!

Cons

I worked for Dish and at that particular office for almost 8 yrs , majority of that time the morale was horrible along with hostile work environment . OFFICE Management were very negative and very untrustworthy . The managers would threatened to find away to get rid of you if you voice your complaints to the higher ups . They put on a perfect face and show when corporate big wigs would show up , then after there gone they would pull off the perfect mask and continue on as usual .

Advice to Management

Well my advice is for the higher ups in corporate , you want to see improvement , get rid of the office managers and hire new ones . Be sure to show up unannounced so you can catch them with there mask off .

11. Upper management

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

Free tv , great Co workers, good 401k.

Cons

Blind sided discipline. Director says right them up without asking questions it is a right up no matter what.

Advice to Management

No investigation of problem if a tech says it mangement believes and watch out warehouse. No accountability on technicians al, support staff fault.

Showing 2,193 of 2,221 reviews