DISH Reviews

Reset

2,351 Employee Reviews

1. Network Engineer

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

Large scale network and always learning new technologies.

Cons

You're a dime a dozen and they won't hesitate to let you go.

Advice to Management

Respect your troops

2. Longs hours, good pay, got to sell

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Benefits, work on your own, and provide tools for you. Good overtime if wanted. Mangers are for the most part understanding

Cons

Sell sell sell. You must sell..they turned technicians into salesman...used to get b good incentive pay,but that is pretty much impossible to getnnow

3. Right place for the right person

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Lots of opportunities to build skills - Good people - Fast pace, never boring - You get to work with some of the best brands in the world like Disney/ESPN, CNN, FOX, Turner, HBO, etc.

Cons

- Not for everyone. If you require coddling and constant reassurance that you're doing a good job, it might not be for you. - Management and senior management isn't as empowered as they could be.

Find Something Better

Former Employee - Satellite Technician
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician

Pros

Most of my fellow technicians were some of the best men I have ever worked with. There were two jobs I was stuck on in the freezing cold at night and on both occasions two guys were willing to come out and help me finish. The management at my shop was great, they were always looking out for the best for me and took a genuine interest in my success. I could call them at any time and they would pick up and give me advice or send help if I needed it. The training was decent, spent a week in a classroom learning the basics and then doing ride - alongs for around two months. Can't beat paid on the job training. The senior manger was awesome. He always kept it real and asked me how I was doing with work and life. The day I left he firmly shook my hand and was genuinely bappy for me. He realized how the company worked and wasn't surprised that I was moving on. Truly some of the greatest men I have ever known I worked with at this job because we all were in the struggle together.

Cons

I have never felt as demeaned as a human being than as I did while working for Dish. I told them from the start I needed Sundays off which as soon as I was on my own they gave me Tuesday and Wednesday off. I knew I would have to work at least one day on thd weekend but they completely disregarded it. Once you're on your own that's it. They throw you out there by yourself to figure everything out. You may get 3 jobs a day but after a couple months they give you around 5 jobs a day, although that does include easier trouble calls and such. Normally you work from 8-4 but with having to go to the shop and running into issues at your job can leave you working an average of 12 hour days which is where I was when I left. I think the longest day I worked was from 6am to 10:30pm because it was an hour drive to the area I was scheduled in. The call center has no sympathy which is understandable because they have no idea of the hell you go through on a day to day basis. We were supposed to call in at 4pm to see if there were any more jobs if we had already finished our route for the day; mind you they could then throw an install at you which they knew you wouldn't finish until 7pm. There was no such thing as a set schedule, be at your first job by 8 and call if you're finished by 4. You're just a number helping to get their numbers up. Don't even get me started on CSATS. They measure your pay Tier based on the most retarded scale. For example if you don't hook a Hopper system to the Internet, EVEN IF THE CUSTOMER DOESN'T HAVE INTERNET, they count it against you. Then if you go to a job that someone else installed completely jacked up, and you're just there to change a bad connector, your name goes on the job. That means that if they QA, "Quality Inspect" it, it counts against you like you were responsible. Happened to me multiple times and I wasn't going to reinstall their whole setup for $15. Then because of this a rep from corporate started showing up at my jobs because "he was in the area". That's when I knew it was time to move on, the system is jacked. Then they emphasized sales. If you didn't sell enough customers items they didn't need and meet quota that counted against you. I'm not a salesman by any means and maybe I had too much compassion for the industry, but I would only try to sell people items they NEEDED like surge protectors or wireless routers. It became mandatory to demo headphones and soundbars. Don't get me wrong I sold a few but that was because the customers could afford it. They want you to go in a home with 6 kids who have bought their service with bad credit and try to sell them extravagant home theatre equipment. I can't tell you how many jobs I went back on to fix poorly installed equipment in run down homes and they have a $100 set of headphones that another tech pushed to them while knowing they were screwing the customer over with a horibble install. The only way to make good money there was to be there for at least 3 years to have the experience to blow through jobs and basically have no soul to your customers. These were the techs who were pulling $800 a week. For my advice it is not worth it if you're intelligent and looking for a career. Turn around time for my office was 6 months. There were only 2 lead techs who had been working for 5 years for Dish and honestly they were bitter because they were stuck. If you need a job to fill in some time this is the job for you. There's no career advancement either. If you want to be in management at a shop you have to wait until the current manager either dies or retires. The hours suck, the pay scale is retarded and broken, the company does not care about you as a technician because they know that as soon as you leave there will be another Joe to fill your spot for 6 months. The vehicles are in horrible condition and they will trade you one broken down vehicle for another that's almost there. Do yourself a favor and spare yourself the trouble. I would recommend this job only for the man who wakes up every morning with a dream to compromise their time with their family and friends and is willing to be screwed for the rest of their lives so other families can sit in a warm living room and enjoy watching tv.

Advice to Management

Don't sell new techs a dream. Be honest and up front with aspiring employees and tell them how much it really sucks to be a satellite technician. That way you'll hire employees who fully understand whats required of them and won't quit after 6 months. You need to care more about your techs and realize that they have families too. You need to stop amd think that while you pray over Thanksgiving dinner and open presents on Christmas that there are guys out there breaking their backs in the freezing cold to make a paycheck while you sit at home, warm and dry laughing at their grandkids while a man with numb finger struggles to crimp a connector with only the thought of getting home in time to salvage what little he has left of time to make memories with his wife and kids.

Operations Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I worked at DISH (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great job for a fast-paced person. I loved the pace. Your day goes by Very quickly.

Cons

Super long hours. 14+ on average not an option. Time off is punished. HO doesn't really understand the field jobs at all levels. Most metrics are out of the control of the local teams. Health insurance is Not a benefit. 5K deductible, very expensive and very limited coverage. The shrinking market and the growing HO staff is inconsistent with a healthy company. Constant theme of under-staffing, again, at all levels. Until the 80%+ "employee" turnover is valued you will continue to rinse and repeat. No one trust anyone. Be prepared to explain every-single decision...multiple times. (so you can be vetted as trustworthy)

Advice to Management

Please place a higher value on the "makers". It is them who places you on the "worst in America" year after year . Dish Senior Managers do Not trust, despite the corporate training on "The Speed of Trust". Represent (live) the training you require, And complete the full-version of it.

Corporate Office - Data Entry

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Littleton, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Data entry positions at Dish are great for people who are looking for a 9-5 job that requires minimal effort to do right. Keep your head down, do as your told and don't stick out and you'll do fine. There are lots of people out there who just want to take home a paycheck, so I think those people would do well.

Cons

If you're not able to do what's listed in the pros, this is a very stressful and depressing place to work. Initiative is punished and motivation is taken advantage of. If you care about work getting done on time and correctly, prepare to spend an uneven amount of overtime on tasks. Management becomes expectant of performers who do stay late, forcing it to become a habit through uneven workloads. I got a very sad feeling from most of the people I worked with like they were stuck - and the lack of movement I personally felt made it too frustrating for me to stick around.

Advice to Management

There has got to be a better way to encourage career growth in the company. For all the company's in processing talks about growing and encouraging a winning attitude, it really doesn't live up to that. Stop settling for mediocrity/below average performance that affects the bottom line - you're just pushing away or beating the will to excel out of prominent employees.

8. Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, good pay, and challenging work.

Cons

Nothing that I wouldn't expect at any company

manager

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

opportunity to transfer into different positions - if you are willing to move

Cons

no work/life balance. management micromanages.

10. Overall Positive Experience

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a decent-paying job. It's not the best-paying job in the world, but personally, it's the best-paying job I've had to this point. I came from minimum wage in retail before. My team is great. My coworker and I get along great with each other. The tech and inventory sides work very well with each other. The relationships have been very positive. I'm gaining much more valuable experience here than I did in retail.

Cons

Too...much...overtime! Dish is a revolving door. There are too many people coming in and out, so I have to cover for guys at other warehouses and I'm getting worn out. I know I said earlier that the pay is the best I've had, but it could be better. I've served in the military, have a four-year college degree, and have had previous management experience at other jobs. There should be more negotiation on pay, at least after, say, a probationary period. Advancement positions are going away. They are phasing out warehouse manager positions, so career opportunities and advancement will be limited.

Advice to Management

That depends on which side of the operation you're on. If you're on the warehouse side, you might start looking for a new job. If you're on the tech side, do the best you can to foster strong and positive relationships between the warehouse and the technicians.

It's a great job! Technology 100% of the time!

Current Employee - Dish Network Installer in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Dish Network Installer in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company Van, Paid Training and Bonus. You have the ability to earn money which is great! The more you sell the more you make.

Cons

Drive Time, Work any number amount of days without a day off. Also, if you don't sell anything which they don't mention you get points taken off your pie which can lead up to a written.

Showing 2,351 of 2,384 reviews