DISH Reviews

1,808 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,161 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons (in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

To Dish, or not to Dish?

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount on TV. There are a lot of cool people there, but it is a turn and burn type of place.

Cons

Too many to list. 100% commission. ..no salary. If you are not in the Dish Group, your not getting fair treatment. We are taught to read the disclosures as fast as we can so they don't hear how much we are charging the lower credit customers. Such a horrible sales tactic.

Wake Up. Quit taking our money. Have a clear cut view on what we can and can't do.

Was OK to work for bit management is awful.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at DISH

Pros

I liked the discounts on programming. Most of the people are fun to work with. The hours are good and they work with students. Easy access to job postings.

Cons

I liked most of the people I worked with. The one thing I can say is management is horrible. If you have a problem with another employee, you are not one of their fav's, nothing gets resolved. They will write you up for just about anything. When this happens you know your just about out the door. No matter how hard it you work to make the corrections. Good luck.

Be fair to all employees and don't pick favorits!!!!!! You know it's true.

no comment

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate  in  Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company offers stock options at a 15% discount

Cons

Company takes money from its employees and practices poor management style that is probably illegal on some level

stop stealing money from your employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company steals your money whenever it can

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate  in  Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dish offers benefits,( so you avoid getting taxed for not having healthcare). Dish offers stock options. Buying stock at a 15% discount is a plus.

Cons

If you are late you are docked a couple of times. When you have sick time (40 hours per year allowed) and you are just 1 minute late to work, you lose 2 hours of sick time out of your 40. After your sick time is up, you lose 20% of your commission for the week. If you are sick, and need to take a day off, you have 40 hours of paid days off. But if you are sick on the same day you call out (or leave work early) you not only lose your hours for pod, but also lose 20% of your commission. If you don't make that time up that week you also lose 20%-25% more for missing the time. Another way the company takes your hard earned money is when you make mistakes. A recent example I have is when an advertisement to sales was place on every agents desktop promoting a "free move to ANY customer" and when you mention that to the customer the company takes a minimum of 3 sales from you. They have tiers for you mistakes: tier 1 mistakes take 1 sale for every mistake that is minor, so 1 for your first, 2 for your second etc... Tier 2 mistakes or for misinformation. Each tier 2 takes 3 sales away from the agent. So that's 3 for the first, 6 for the second, etc... Tier 3 offenses are the only ones that make sense to me, you get fired for breaking business rules like purposely changing information or stealing information... This gets you fired. It's a scam that a billion dollar company should be sued for. They steal your money and you have no recourse for it.

1. Change your practices. The agents on the floor are treated like they are disposable, this is not a good business practice. Training new agents I s just as costly. 2. Offer a recourse for agent to challenge the tiers they may get. 3. Stop taking hard earned money for minor infractions. We have families and work hard for you and them. 4. Sick time is just that- sick time. Taking two hours for being late is unfair. Give agents the opportunity to make the time up. 4. Let agents call out when they are sick without being punished

Mind numbing, oppressive, and dishonest....your average call center.

I worked at DISH

Pros

Decent pay and if you have no life outside of work, and only care about your paycheck, there are unlimited opportunities for overtime.

Cons

Forced to make up sick days, mandatory overtime, forbidden to deviate from the script and use your own knowledge and experience to help customers. I was working in this call center when the swine flu outbreak occurred, and DISH's sick day policy led to most of it's employees becoming ill because sick employees did not want to make up missed days, and went to work while contagious.

A skilled, experienced employee is worth the extra payroll cost, get rid of the revolving door policy. Abolish the mandatory overtime and sick day policies, they run off good employees and have a negative effect on the quality of customer service from your call center.

Horrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only pros were the unlimited overtime and they pay rate.

Cons

Advancement was a joke. Promotions were handed out based on who liked you and not on qualifications. Management was uncaring and oftentimes hostile. I watched many good people fired for terrible reasons. It was a very high stress environment.

Realize that employees are people. Happy employees are more productive.

feild service specialist

Former Employee - FSS1  in  Sanford, NC
    Former Employee - FSS1 in Sanford, NC

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

great pay thats it they will pay you just dont expect to have a life as well as work here

Cons

you cannot have a life and work at dish they constantly wont more and are never happy to see you give your best they slap your name on the wall and call you TOP TECH offer you pi incentive which is good money but so many ways to get written up hard to stay on your career path

Trust your instincts and run!

Current Employee - Management  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will be challenged. You will gain experience. You will always be busy.

Cons

The culture is caustic. It's like working in a sweatshop. You will work more than 40 hours and if you are salary it will be closer to 60+. The CEO has stated that this is probably not the job for you if you want to coach your kids games. The benefits are poor compared to most retail jobs. If you are salary you have to clock in and your hours are tracked. Many of the people I worked with were fantastic, but that was not the norm. Mostly there is contention and infighting due to the stack ranking promotion methodology. Don't be the lowest paid person in a role or you will be cut during annual "talent upgrades". With all the politics and executive power grabs it is an awful place to work. For a 20+ year old company there are very few processes that are followed, when a process exists. Life is too short to put more money in Charlie's pocket at the expense of your sanity and health. Everything negative you have already read.

Fix the culture. Get actual leadership in place. Treat your employees better.

Agent/Lead current employee

Current Employee - Agent/Lead
    Current Employee - Agent/Lead

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you need a job to pay your bills it will do that. The pay is fair for the work, but less that other companies of the same type.

Cons

So the advancement process is inconsistent from site to site/location to location. Some jobs require are degree but they will not accept past DISH experience for same job even if you have more than 4 years in seat. The other jobs will not accept anything but experience in their dept. So you get the sliding standards that you cannot meet with out “help”. The hiring process is prejudiced if something happens in the back office or with anything else in the interview/hiring process it will be held against you as a candidate.

The business rules that are set up should be enforced by all of the front line groups, the amount of credit offered should be tied to the amount service the customer is getting. We are losing money because of the way that you are managing the business. You have to stop with the pendulum swings on the exceptions offered. Find the middle ground and enforce training standards as part of the agent metrics. For god sake audit Outsourced agent sites they are cheap for a reason. Not every agent is a loyalty agent, nor will they have the skills to advance to escalation. Some agents are front line for a reason

It's like being beaten into a gang, but it lasts forever.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For professionals, f you have no work history or need someone to take a chance on you to prove yourself or get started on your career or need an h1b sponsor or are desperate to work in pay tv.

Cons

Absurd tracking of hours and entry exit , stingy benefits, bitter co-workers, ridiculous expectations of work level. The company has no commitment to employee career growth or to employees in general.

Don't apply the lowest common denominator treatment to all of your employees. Not everyone needs to be tracked like a delinquent high school child.
    One hour lunches? Badge Reports? Fingerprint Readers? Seriously who wants to work in that environment.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!