DISH

1,955 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,254 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the best

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Technical Support in Christiansburg, VA

I worked at DISH

Pros

Fast pace environment, great coworkers

Cons

The only constant at Dish is change.

Be more involved in your employees feelings, and maybe the turnover rate wouldn't be so high.

Worst company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DISH

Pros

None ( overtime apply depending of the department you work)

Cons

Bad management
    Favoritism
    Low pay
    Extremely poor yearly raised
    Bad benefits

More like advice for the company.... value more your employees. ...

Ridiculous

I worked at DISH (less than a year)

Pros

They have Available overtime, provide both a lunch room and break room, good start up training, and good front door security.

Cons

Unrealistic goals to keep one's job. Such as always changing your position even when you are not ready for advancement, or advising you of it before your shift to you or your supervisor. Massive turn overs!!!!

Make sure you're helping your employees, not in it for yourself

Run. This place will suck your soul and asperations out and spit you back out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Learing about ineffective management techniques, and it's close to Denver.

Cons

Horribly managed company from the top down. The coo has such a micro focus that the large elephants in the room go unseen. Management for the top down should be evaluated and removed promptly. If managers and VP's are unable to make a decision or would rather defer serious problems to other unrelated departments, how does this behavior trickle down. There also seems to be some odd law in Dish that states senior executives and managers can yell and curse at employees because it's been a stressful day, or they don't like the employee's department.
    Benefits are horrible, and the do enforce the time clock so be prepared to be tracked.

Current management and departments need a complete overhaul, with many managers leaving

The worst place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. They do pay you on time every two weeks.

Cons

Management is so ridiculous. For the last six months I was there, I was treating it like I was stuck in Office Space to maintain sanity. I can't properly describe how maddening and impossible it is to be happy at Dish. Every imagined "plus" is quickly exterminated by negative and condescending management. There is this overwhelming feeling of paranoia and the backbiting gossip is seriously unreal (and also tolerated). The corporate environment is so incredibly dysfunctional that I can't begin to compare it to anything I've seen before. If your boss shows any interest at all in why you took a sick day.. Beware. You are now on the "radar".

I honestly don't even know where to begin. The culture is so toxic, that until the management teams (especially in IT and Marketing) are totally reorganized or simply replaced, this will always be an awful place to work. I have never, in my 20year career, seen more turnover in a corporate environment. They beat people down mentally. I'm not even going into 10% of what I want to, but I think my point is made.

Great beginning, slow decline after honeymoon.

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses are very promising and lucrative in the beginning

Cons

3 years and I've only made 1.76 more than than starting pay.

No work life balance and terrible medical benefits with huge deductibles and no behavioral health benefits. The chairs at El Paso location are horrible. My back hurts so bad because the chairs are not ergonomic.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in El Paso, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free Dish Service with all channels. Cafeteria is nice. It's a clean facility and they have a lot of activities for employees

Cons

Shift bids annually and you never get the shift you bid for. They need to invest in more comfortable chairs for health reasons

Employees need better medical benefits and money needs to be invested in the El Paso call center to have all the chairs replaced and make it more comfortable

A company that has zero sense of its employees value and upper management is a disaster.

Former Employee - Management in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Management in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company will hand out titles like they're meaningless, so it's easy to get a title higher than the actual position you hold. Co-workers are generally good people who will share the same sentiment as those around them. Strong bond of co-workers feeling they're in the trenches together

Cons

The worst company I've ever worked for (and I received 4 promotions in 3 years). Dish is working very hard to hide the terrible morale within the workforce. As former management, I can honestly state that the company is trying to see how little it has to do to in order to change its image as the worst company to work for. Upper management is not equipped for the positions they hold and poor management is just transferred from one department to another. Dish believes that the title "worst company" comes from the technician and field workforce, but the corporate environment is far worse. Management (I was one of them) is consistently instructed to convince their employees how "great" of a place Dish is to work for, but is not allowed to work on a grass roots level to change the mentality and actually create a better work environment. The recruitment has turned to hiring mostly right-out-of-school in order to entice a workforce that will accept lower pay and has a lower skill set. This results in a company that is in shambles and has failed to turn itself around and provide a good work environment where the majority of the workforce doesn't leave within 1-2 years due to the poor work environment and lack of credible training. Do not work here unless you want to get stuck in a very poor corporate rhetoric work environment where your title will not dictate what you actually do, leaving you effectively worthless when it's your time to leave within 1-2 years (max). If it was a good company to work for, a majority of the workforce would not be consistently leaving. And don't get anyone who works there started on the benefits. HA! Worst benefits I've ever seen from a company of any size.

Advice to management-stand for a change or quit your jobs. Dish has poor upper management structure with very little insight as to what's actually happening with the workforce. You need to allow for more change on the bottom and keep your hands out of the suggestions and requests. Allow change to happen and reward those who make a difference without sacrificing their integrity. Restructure almost every department and strip out upper and middle-level management who are stuck in a position they are not qualified for. This also goes for the top of the top management. The company will not change until the heads of the company change. Work-life balance is essential in the workforce. Consider allowing for it! Benefits, make for happy employees. Consider it! Equal industry pay keeps good employees. Consider it! Actually hiring enough employees for departments will help morale. Consider it! Don't always worry about the bottom line or padding Charlie's wallet and the company might actually have change. Consider it.

This job will slowly burn you down

I worked at DISH

Pros

Pay and benefits that's it

Cons

Don't work this job any longer than a year. This job will burn you out quite fast

None

Stay Away

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Mediocre Pay
    Full time with steady schedule
    Three days off

Cons

No work/life balance
    Bad management
    Company policys make getting the job done difficult at times
    Too many metrics affecting employees that are beyond our control

Treat employees with respect and you will get more from us.