DISH Reviews

1,813 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,166 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons (in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Trust your instincts and run!

Current Employee - Management  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will be challenged. You will gain experience. You will always be busy.

Cons

The culture is caustic. It's like working in a sweatshop. You will work more than 40 hours and if you are salary it will be closer to 60+. The CEO has stated that this is probably not the job for you if you want to coach your kids games. The benefits are poor compared to most retail jobs. If you are salary you have to clock in and your hours are tracked. Many of the people I worked with were fantastic, but that was not the norm. Mostly there is contention and infighting due to the stack ranking promotion methodology. Don't be the lowest paid person in a role or you will be cut during annual "talent upgrades". With all the politics and executive power grabs it is an awful place to work. For a 20+ year old company there are very few processes that are followed, when a process exists. Life is too short to put more money in Charlie's pocket at the expense of your sanity and health. Everything negative you have already read.

Fix the culture. Get actual leadership in place. Treat your employees better.

Agent/Lead current employee

Current Employee - Agent/Lead
    Current Employee - Agent/Lead

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you need a job to pay your bills it will do that. The pay is fair for the work, but less that other companies of the same type.

Cons

So the advancement process is inconsistent from site to site/location to location. Some jobs require are degree but they will not accept past DISH experience for same job even if you have more than 4 years in seat. The other jobs will not accept anything but experience in their dept. So you get the sliding standards that you cannot meet with out “help”. The hiring process is prejudiced if something happens in the back office or with anything else in the interview/hiring process it will be held against you as a candidate.

The business rules that are set up should be enforced by all of the front line groups, the amount of credit offered should be tied to the amount service the customer is getting. We are losing money because of the way that you are managing the business. You have to stop with the pendulum swings on the exceptions offered. Find the middle ground and enforce training standards as part of the agent metrics. For god sake audit Outsourced agent sites they are cheap for a reason. Not every agent is a loyalty agent, nor will they have the skills to advance to escalation. Some agents are front line for a reason

It's like being beaten into a gang, but it lasts forever.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For professionals, f you have no work history or need someone to take a chance on you to prove yourself or get started on your career or need an h1b sponsor or are desperate to work in pay tv.

Cons

Absurd tracking of hours and entry exit , stingy benefits, bitter co-workers, ridiculous expectations of work level. The company has no commitment to employee career growth or to employees in general.

Don't apply the lowest common denominator treatment to all of your employees. Not everyone needs to be tracked like a delinquent high school child.
    One hour lunches? Badge Reports? Fingerprint Readers? Seriously who wants to work in that environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It just keeps getting worse.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at DISH

Pros

It's a job. You get paid.

Cons

I went to making the top bonus every pay check to not getting anything thanks to the revised bonus system. The goals have been set to unsustainable levels. The only techs getting bonus pay are the ones that can do shady stuff and work the system. Honest hard working techs are left out. My year to date income is $10,000 less this year compared to last year and it's only june. The benefits are crap. I have a high premium and a $5000 deductible. Even after meeting your deductible you still pay 20% of everything. The company also altered there metrics for end of year evaluations at the last second, causing most techs to get no or little raise. Ever since dish was rated worst company to work for 3 years ago things have only got worse.

Stand up for good morals, and hard work and stop working the system to meet unsustainable goals.

Solicited positive glassdoor reviews still aren't helping!

Current Employee - Front Line Management
    Current Employee - Front Line Management

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The financial compensation appears to be competitive until you experience all you have to go through.

Cons

Dish is still sending out emails to employees soliciting positive reviews on glassdoor. This is not going to fix what is wrong at Dish. This company is not changing. It took feedback from surveys and blamed lower management and have done nothing to address the REAL problems with the company. NOT A HEALTHY WORKING ENVIRONMENT! RUN! It is widely understood that this is a company you go to in transition to another job. This is a company that does not backfill positions and piles the work from vacated positions (which are abundant) on the surrounding team. If you like to be micromanaged by email questioning your commitment and ethics when a metric is not where the company's unrealistic expectations are with ZERO contribution to a solution, Hop on in.

If you truly want to fix what is wrong, take a look in the mirror on where to start. Blaming front line management for the issues you create and foster is not the solution, just a smoke screen. Practice what you expect your employees to learn and model in the leadership training you only started after being voted worst employer. You will never get beyond that by blaming others.

CONFRONT REALITY ~ RIGHT WRONGS

Back to their Micro Management again.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s just a job until the market gets better.

Cons

1. When I joined recently, I was told that things have changed after getting bad reviews from everywhere. They seemed to be changed a little. But recently they are back to their micro managing. Employees started getting emails if there are late couple of minutes.
    2. Only one option for health benefit and for family, it has 5000$ deductible.
    3. Very bad benefits and only 10 days of PDO's for 5 years.
    4. Vesting on 401K match is 5 years.

Please do not treat your employees like bonded labor.

Hard to Believe they've Stayed in Business This Long !

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

Air conditioning, carpeting, parking garage

Cons

HORRIBLE communication, abusive managers, esp. at executive level, CRAPPY benefits, environment of fear and intimidation, treat salaried PROFESSIONALS like factory workers

STOP MICROMANAGING, TRUST your employees, COMMUNICATE, when someone complains about a hostile manager, DO something about it (other than black-listing the person who complained), GIVE US BETTER BENEFITS !!!

Too many crazy people on the phone.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Flushing, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flushing, NY

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very annoying to deal with nagging customers day and night.. They curse u out and stress u out. NOT A JOB ANYONE LOVES. NOT A SINGLE EMPLOYEE! MONEY GEtS BETTER EVERY YEAR BUT NOT WORTH IT.

Cons

4 days a week 10 hours a day. 3 days off. nice cafeteria and tv's to watch.

Better handle on people or change business policies and get better technicians.

Current Satellite Technition

Current Employee - Satellite Technician  in  Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Kent, WA

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only reason I worked here is because I needed a job. The only pro I can possibly think of is three days off.

Cons

Where do I start. First of all, all the things you have read about dish are true. When I first applied and got a call back for an interview I, Like most people, researched what people where saying about Dish on the web. Of course I like to take everything with a grain of salt as the say and form my own opinions. During my research I found some pretty scathing remarks about the company at almost every level. Despite the negative reviews I still accepted a position as a Satellite install tech in the Kent WA. office. I am not going to drag this out ( because I can, there is just so much ) but I will give you what I feel is the worst things that happen.

1. Constantly ridiculed and Berated from management for a number of reasons and live under a constant state of fear of losing your job. Everything Dish does is a numbers game. for example, a dish tech is rated on points per hr, CSAT, TCh12, completion %, and sales to name a few. Fall below the company goal for these numbers and you are on the radar, which results in either being written up or fired. In the time I have been with the company, less than a year, I have seen 14 guys go, three of them transferred, the rest where let go, that should tell you something right there.

Here are some quotes from my management team. " You guys, "I want everyone here to tell me your a "derogatory comment"sales man" "You better start making some sales or bad things are going to happen to those that don't" The list goes on but I am sure you get the picture.

Some other cons are the hours. Dish operates 365 days a years and You never know when you are going to be home, if you have family, don't plan on seeing them much when you are working. The latest I have been home is 1030 at night, I have spoken with guys that have been out as late as 2 am in the morning and have to be back at 7am to do it all over again.

Tremendous amount of stress both from customer and management. Sometimes you are 30 mile away and by your self trying to figure out a problem and your support system is the management ( who tell you to figure it out or to call another tech, who, if they answer their phone is also trying to do their job too) so it often does'nt work out to well.
     Trying to sell product like blue tooth headphones a 300.00 soundbars from your van when you showup to an install.
    Being berated in front of everyone of your peers for not making sales ( sales goal for techs is around 500.00 per mth depending on region) This is not an easy task.

I could go on and on about how bad it can be. Some guys, not many mind you actually like the job, They are usually the one's that have little job experience and a GED, basically they dont know any better, they dont know that employers dont usually treat the employees so poorly.

I could say so much more but I wont. Like this job, it is a waste of my time.

I have worked many jobs in my life. none have been worse than this one, just stay away, and save your self the grief...

CSSII

Former Employee - CSS III  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - CSS III in Tulsa, OK

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free programming but equipment charges too high

Cons

The people running this company, from the very lowest level of management and all the way up to top level executives, are uneducated idiots

deflate your egos

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!