DISH

DISH Reviews in Rolling Meadows, IL

Updated Jun 19, 2014

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years(in 71 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons(in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement(in 100 reviews)

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company for those who want to do a great job!

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Rolling Meadows, IL

ProsThis company is all about rewarding and developing its best people . If you want to do a good job and are excited about yourself and your company, Dish will put the time in to help you develop you. With everything from bonuses to promotions tied to your performance, the harder you work and the better quality you put out, the better the rewards.

Over the last few years Dish had made many strides to try to change the negative perception that it has here. From changing its holiday schedule to new uniforms to exciting new promotions like UFC events, Dish is trying to react to what their employees want.

ConsAs many of the negative reviewers will say, it's not an "easy" place to work. The enrivronment is fast paced, always challenging, and performance is measured. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, this is not the company for you. The metrics are not unrealistic like others have said as the majority of techs have been successful at getting promoted and getting their bonuses.

The Worst Company to Work For in America 2 Years Running for a Reason

Instructor (Former Employee) Rolling Meadows, IL

ProsThere weren't many. In the 3 1/2 years I worked for Dish Network, I was fortunate to get the major holidays off. Travel was limited to the Chicagoland area, and some locations in southern Wisconsin and northwestern Indiana; an occasional trip to HQ in Colorado. Co-workers (non-management) shared camaraderie. The best pro I can think of was the interaction I had with the technicians, as it was more of an atmosphere of brotherhood (and sisterhood for the few women who worked there too).

ConsWhere to begin....

Let's start with management. Very cold and unapproachable. Extremely volatile. Lots of yelling and brow-beating. I was once yelled at for 45 min during an interview, by the hiring manager, for advancement within the company because I had not memorized a policy released a week prior to the interview, not pertaining to the interview. HR is powerless and somewhat of a joke. They say they'll back you, and disappear when you need them. Employee turnover is very high, as weekly firings are not out of the ordinary. The worst Dish experience I had was when I went to the corporate offices for a training seminar. Reminded me of being in basic training.

Now onto pay. I was rated in the upper echelon of instructors, constantly getting high marks for instruction, and received only one raise in 3 years. A 4% raise at that. I had asked for a raise for months before that and was always told that I needed to do more. When I did more, it was never enough. Overtime was never an option. If overtime was close, you were sent home.

Career advancement. If you've heard the term 'Good Ole Boy Club' look no further than Dish Network. Jobs are put on their internal website because they have to be, but numerous times we were told that a candidate had already been decided. When I pushed for a chance to prove myself for an advancement....well...see above. Eventually, I stopped trying for advancement, which was viewed as lazy and prompted a sit down.

There's more, but if the above isn't a clear indication of what you're getting into as a new employee, not sure what else to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement isn't all bad. There were some, not many, but some managers I felt very comfortable around. Unfortunately, they were all low level management. If the atmosphere is to improve, it will take a complete overhaul of the current regime. It's not that management is trained badly. It's that they're hired due to their fiercely aggressive nature. I've seen new managers come in that were very approachable at first, but as they see their co-management act a certain way, they eventually succumb to the climate in the company.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!