DK Security

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
1.7

CEO

Its a place to work part time 20hours a week.

Current Employee - Security Guard and Receptionist At Capitol in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Security Guard and Receptionist At Capitol in Lansing, MI

I have been working at DK Security part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Part time work 10 hour shifts at the Capitol Buildings in Lansing . Can get called in to fill a shift with an abscent worker

Cons

Cant get 40 hours and not even 30 most weeks. No advancement opportunities

Reward loyal workers who come in when called to fill an opening with more hours. Create a team of people so that there is not so much turnover.

Not worth it

I have been working at DK Security

Pros

Generally nice coworkers. Can be fun at times would be a good company if we were allowed to protect ourselves.

Cons

Management does not care about you or your safety. Not allowed to defend yourself. Cant carry pepperspray or anything even though your a security guard.

let us carry something to defend ourselves even if that means extra training. Dont leave us in a uniform an badge without any means to protect us.

Worst job i've ever had

Former Employee - Security Officer
    Former Employee - Security Officer

I worked at DK Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very easy work. Anyone could do this job. It requires no experience.
    It is also a very good job for a student as there is a lot of down time.

Cons

Everything. This was literally the worst job I have ever had in my life. The management at all levels of this company is inadequate to deal with the needs of the company. They also just happen to not care about the employees. I had several enterprising colleagues who made good suggestion who were subsequently given different shifts so they'd not have the chance to communicate anymore.
    Extra work or GOOD work is not rewarded or acknowledge.
    Management at ALL levels is incompetent. (Seniority is the best way to be manager here and many of them are bad with people and most skills).
    The morals at this company are low.
    Giving this company a contrast is basically just admitting you want to get robbed.
    No shows and poor workmanship is the norm here.
    No chance for advancement.

You could try caring about the company or your employees.
    You could try punishing no shows or incompetent workers and rewarding solid workers.
    Treat your employees as people and treat your clients with respect - you do neither.
    Thanks for the motivation to get out and get an MBA.

Cheap. Ripped off. Not worth it.

I worked at DK Security

Pros

It was easy for the most part.

Cons

Lied to me about pay on multiple occurances. Unappreciated... It wasn't worth the $9/hr to even just sit there.

Attitude adjustment and moral evaluation...

From poorly run to not caring at all.

Current Employee - Security Guard in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Flint, MI

I have been working at DK Security part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are lazy and do not want to come to work on time then DK is the company for you. They will work around your class' schedual, so long as you do not want many hours or will work 4 hour shifts.

Cons

No communication with upper management to speak of. In real terms there is no chance of advancement or improvement. This company talks as if it is a High Security company, but in reality there is little if any training or little to no incentive yo gain any usefull training. They talk about conduct and employee accountability, but do not address no shows, constantly being up to an hour late and not paying when you have to cover someone that did not show.

Take a real interest in running the company and stop pretending that you provide anything to the employees. The mindset of " it is not my job" starts in the head office and flows down. You can not operate with the attitude that if an uniform is there then all is right and as it should be. When you acquire a contract with staff in place take advantage of them, not chase them out.

It's tolerable for the pay

Former Employee - Security Officer in Jackson, MI
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Jackson, MI

I worked at DK Security part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to learn and perfect for those who enjoy dealing with people

Cons

Hard to get full time position
    Part time has no benefits whatsoever
    If your relief doesn't show up, you are still working until they can get someone in

When you get new people on a site, don't give them more hours than the ones who have been working there when the ones working there has had their hours taken away. That is not taking care of your people.

What I expected from a security Job.

Current Employee - Security Guard in Dimondale, MI
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Dimondale, MI

I have been working at DK Security part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Made more than minimum wage for doing a job that doesn't require much of anything other than showing up.

Cons

Direct management is made up of supervisors that have no other prospects, while a large majority of the security officers are college students using this as a after school job. This makes for an unfortunate dynamic.

I experienced situations where I was given hours outside of my normal schedule without my consent. I also had my job threatened because I was unwilling to remain at work after my scheduled hours because of another employee not showing up.

A poorly run company with seemingly little regard for staff, also little idea of customer service.

Current Employee - Security Officer
    Current Employee - Security Officer

I have been working at DK Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are only interested in PART TIME work they are fine. The company has many contracts on the west side of the state. They tend to set up contracts with part timers in mind.

Cons

Because they DO NOT want to pay more than 7.40 an hour or over time, they really don't want full time staff to any extent. When they took over the State of Michigan contracts they were not prepared or able to step in as per contract. They DO NOT fulfil the suport or training requirements once they are outside of the Lansing area. They have had more complaints filled and noted by DTMB and are always making excuses as to why or because of this or that staff member. If you have to break up a fight or remove someone from a State Bldg. you most likely will loose your job.

Admit to youself that you do not know more than the people working for you. Learn that customer service doesn't mean throwing staff under the bus when you have failed. Hire some people with industrial security expeirence, not more retired police or other FBI or US Marshal ( the owners ) to run things.