DLC Consulting

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.1

Tom Sweeney

Career opportunity to gain valuable growth and experience in multiple industries without typical consulting risks.

Current Employee - Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at DLC Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

With its full employment model and robust benefits, DLC offers a career opportunity to gain wider accounting and finance professional growth and experience in multiple industries and at various levels without the risks typically associated with consulting. I’ve been a consultant with DLC for a combined total of six years. Shortly after joining DLC I attended a companywide event of DLC consultants and internal staff and remember being deeply impressed by the caliber, intelligence and collective experience of so many bright professionals in one room at one time. I am proud and honored to still be counted as one of that impressive team.
    DLC offers an extremely competitive, full-employment compensation package and excellent benefits as well as robust incentive bonuses to those who provide project, new client, and candidate referrals. The full-employment model eliminates the risk of inconsistent income typically associated with consulting careers, while allowing consultants to gain valuable experience in diverse industries that they may never have gained if they stayed in the same position with one company year over year. Consultants are paid for every hour they work and each project brings new opportunities to learn and to apply one’s professional skills, knowledge, and experience at the top echelon of companies in California and Illinois (and growing).
    Consultants are provided access to excellent training and technical research tools as well as company branded tools and resources. These tools, along with access to the rich DLC knowledge-base, and the support of the internal team, allow consultants to be highly confident they can effectively handle the needs of each client engagement.

Cons

Sometimes consultants may be asked to take projects involving longer or less than ideal commutes. In my experience, project content and level of work have generally outweighed most commute drawbacks. I have also found clients to be flexible enough in scheduling to mitigate most commute challenges.

Keep up the good work in striving to balance company, client, and consultant needs. Timing and availability of the right consultant for the right client at the right time is a huge challenge and so far DLC management has successfully negotiated this delicate balance.

Tarnishing their brand by hiring less expensive less experienced consultants

I worked at DLC Consulting

Pros

autonomy except you can get sent out to clients where you have no experience to help them

Cons

no communication. Lots of mystery

Great clients - interesting projects

Former Employee - Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at DLC Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to a variety of industries and clientele. High caliber of peers. Job security from annual employment agreement. Good benefits. Work independently. Little administrative paperwork (focus on DOING).

Cons

Tended to get "been there done that" assignments instead of projects that stimulate personal growth and career development. Salary growth and potential is minimal. Time off subject to whims of clients and will be sacrificed for billable hours.

treat consultants as your most valuable assets instead of just billed hours and a means to your EPS goal.

Good for a paycheck, bad for career progression

I worked at DLC Consulting full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, paid while sitting on the bench, very little travel to client sites, and you get paid your hourly rate for every hour worked over 40.

Cons

I have to agree with a few of the previous posts; this firm is not a consulting company. There are seasoned people in their 40s and 50s doing entry level staffing work. So, if you're looking for just a paycheck, it's decent.
    I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone looking to build up their resume. The management is a joke. The MD had to work hardly understood the project I was on, all she wanted me to do was bill as many hours as humanly possible; even if the contribution to the client was negligible.

Be honest with the type of work you seek out and place employees into. You are not a consulting firm but a staffing company. And understand that if you want longevity in relationship, bill clients when your "consultants" provide value-added work.

Not a consulting company but a glorified staffing company

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting Consultant
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting Consultant

I worked at DLC Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get paid even if you are on the bench since the employment model is salaried and your contract is reviewed every year. Very little travel as the staffing model is region specific.

Cons

Most of the managing directors do not know how to sell to clients. In fact, there are a number of clients who do not want to speak with the regional MDs because of poor communication skills.
    DLC pours "consultants" into a concentrated group of firms and just milks them.
    Most of the placements are staffing level roles and does not serve for career progression

Teach your MDs and CSDs on how to sell to customers.

Great firm with really good people. Your experience is to a large degree what you make of it!

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DLC Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good earning potential - the firm offers a competitive salary and provides you with the opportunity to supplement your salary with pretty generous bonuses.

Varied project work - the project work runs the gamut from gap-filling positions (staff level through senior management level) to business process improvement projects, system implementation projects as well as SEC and regulatory reporting engagements and most everything in between.

Smart people - the firm tends to hire credentialed people with significant experience (skewed a bit more towards the senior level). In the past year or so, the firm has broadened its hiring to include more junior and mid-level consultants without sacrificing the educational and credential requirements they have long upheld. This has helped make the firm more well-rounded and allowed it to better address the various levels of client needs.

Training - the firm encourages training and provides it consultants with many opportunities to add to their skill set.

Internal team - the firm has a strong, cohesive internal team that works very well together. Given how lean the internal team is, this is critically important and one of the reasons that the back office runs so smoothly.

Work/Life balance - a decent work/life balance is achievable here. Although it may be more challenging to achieve on some client engagements over others, it is achievable. That is something I truly appreciate.

Cons

Commutes - sometimes the commutes are less than desirable. This is not an uncommon thing (especially in Los Angeles). The firm does try to manage this as much as reasonably possible. However, there are times where that is not possible and you end up with a less than optimal commute. Your attitude about your commute goes a long way in make it a manageable situation. Additionally, I have found that many times you are able to work out some sort of schedule flexibility with your client that helps minimize the "commute" impact.

Project content - yes, there are times when the project content isn't as interesting as it could be. I fortunately have not run into that situation very much in my many years here. And, when I did, I chose to make the best of it and wound up finding opportunities to increase/enhance the project content. You would be surprised how many clients are willing to elevate your work if you gain their trust/confidence and let them know you are open, willing and able to do more.

Communication is key! Management has made a concerted effort in the past few years to improve upon its communication by providing relevant information on a more regular basis. This will become even more critical as the firm grows. And my advice to management is to keep it up. No matter how busy we may get as a firm, regular communication needs to continue to be a priority.

Continue to hire from within. The fact that our firm has hired/promoted from within when filling key management roles is really nice. We have a great talent pool and it is a very positive sign that our management acknowledges that when they look in-house to fill key positions.

Best decision of my career was joining DLC

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DLC Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been a Consultant at DLC for six years and have worked with over a dozen clients. I've gained skills in M&A, Sell-side Due Diligence, Finance Planning & Analysis, Executive Leadership, Financial & Technical accounting, Pricing, Financial Modeling, Acquisition Integration, Project Management and a handful of ERP and planning systems. The CEO and Management team at DLC are outstanding! I've worked on several team engagements and have been very impressed with the other DLC Consultants. Several leadership opportunities have helped me grow professionally. Joining DLC was the best move of my career. I'm looking forward to more adventures at DLC!

Cons

DLC is highly selective in who it hires, which is a good thing. However, in a few situations I've known people who are highly qualified and interested, but don't have the required Top 25 MBA or Big-4 CPA background. It's too bad, though I understand why it is necessary.

Continue the focus on delivering quality client service and expanding our client base. Keep up the great work!

Glorified Temp at most, no career growth, firm only cares for their bottom line

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at DLC Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Comp and benefits were above average, and since you bill hours you get overtime (only paid out once a month as a bonus, not time and a half). Opportunity to work in different industries and positions. Low stress, easy work-life balance.

Cons

Management is plain awful and only cares about their bottom line. They don't like to hear NO and will push you into engagements you are not suited for. Every consultant is out to save themselves, so be wary of other DLC employees at the same employer. You will be thrown under the bus. Low communication with office staff. Commutes can be long.

Bring back David Lewis...

Unique opportunity for finance professionals to expand professional competencies in finance and accounting.

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DLC Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provided great opportunities to work on impactful engagements for Fortune 500 and private clients. Experience gained while with DLC would have been difficult to attain elsewhere in such a dynamic environment and in such a short period of time.

Cons

Unparalleled finance, accounting and operations experience in consultant pool was underutilized in high-value engagements (C-level, M&A, Strategy). Practice leadership was also rather sparse.

Unique brand can further its equity by pursuing and winning higher-end engagements and expanding beyond FP&A and Accounting to Operations and Corporate Development.

Good at the beginiing, a bit stale after a while

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DLC Consulting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team, good client base, incentive and total compensation on par with comparable firms; the firm really did care about its employees, which went a long way!

Cons

Lots of travel (I guess to be expected of a consulting firm); often did the work of more-junior-level employees, which became a tough sell to prospective employees...