DLR Group
www.dlrgroup.com Omaha, NE

DLR Group Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Griff Davenport

Great place to work, lower pay, great benfits

Overland Park, KS

ProsLike the people, attitude, willingness to help you grow as a professional. Culture in OP Kansas is great. Fun and entertaining most of the time. Very easy place to work.

ConsPay is 5-10% below market.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture and fun in DLR Group. it makes up for the below market pay.

Not the worst but could be better.

ProsVery public facing projects. Most of your coworkers are skilled in their discipline and pleasant to work with. Company appears to "try" when it comes to culture.

ConsLack of transparency. Poor leadership. No career development. Toxic, office politics. Overall company structure has become very corporate and a bit muddy. Very low pay, zero work/life balance, mediocre benefits plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementProgressive leadership is key to any company. Anyone in a "leadership" position needs to undergo serious leadership training. Career development and professional development are not necessarily the same thing yet this company does not seem to grasp this concept. Invest in all of your employees or they will not invest in you.

Decent firm, but have a long way to go to get the next level.

Architect (Former Employee)

ProsLarge firm with multiple offices and multiple markets. Offers services for architects, engineers, marketing and business development professionals.

ConsDon't have locations in many top tier and warmer cities. Lots of silos and layers between the different offices and markets. The firm is employee owned, which is good for becoming an owner but it limits its ability to innovate and move initiatives along quickly. There is alot of starting initiatives and not following through. Not much diversity in staff or leadership - especially not for minorities or women.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the diversity in the firm's top leadership. Flatten some of the silos and eliminate some of the political boundaries caused by the reward structure.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and interact with talented peers and leaders.

Project Designer (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsAbility to expand one's role within company, management will give you as much as you are willing to work for.

ConsSacramento office is a bit top heavy with older employees and vertical advancement for younger employees may be a cause for some employee resentment.

Great Company that is both inspiring and driven.

Interior Design Intern (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsMy favorite part of working for DLR Group is the people. DLR Group gives you the opportunity to branch out and try your hand at all aspects of design within the firm.

ConsI do not have any cons as of yet.

Fair, fun and different type of place to work

Project Archiect (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsProject diversity, collaboration, entrepreneurial, opportunity for advancement and experience in various offices. Fair pay, great stock rewards and incentive compensation.

ConsNot every office is like Overland Park. Thus the firm's culture is unique to the local office and it's local leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone in Overland Park. Nationally, I would like to see increase technology currency and the use of newer software’s for design assist. Using Revit is great,. but their are other tools we should be experimenting with for design.

Good Career Growth

Business Development (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

ProsWhy is DLR a great place to work, specifically at the offices in Overland Park? Well, in 2010, the Kansas Office was name the best place to work In Kansas City by a local Magazine. It was well deserved. They treat me with great respect and give me opportunties that my peers only dream about. DLR Group' mantra about how their designs can positively impact experiences is actrually practiced. I love that. Whether it’s inspiring a child in a classroom, a college student finding a career path in a campus building, or memorable guest experience in a hotel, they truly believe our designs elevate the human experience.

DLR Group not only practice sustainable design, they live it. As a design firm, they view our office building as a perk for the staff. Plentiful windows draw in an abundance of natural light to employee workstations, offering incredible views to the stream and wooded area just outside our building.

Employees in Kansas have access to company bicycles to utilize before, during and after work for quick trips around the neighborhood; and a dedicated group of individuals designed a custom recycling center near our break room to promote recycling to all staff and visitors. To reduce storm water run-off, a group of employees designed and built a rain garden on our property.

DLR Group encourages its employees to give back to the community. Together, they host annual blood drives, and take part in the United Way’s Day of Caring. DLR Group professionals serve on educational foundations to raise funds for local K-12 school districts, as well as university advisory boards. We also participate in the U.S. Green Building Council Committee on Schools to promote environmentally-responsive design in school buildings around the country.

As the largest education design firm in the world, it seems like they do whatever they can to support local school districts and position them for success. I like that.

Many staff members get involved in local charities by donating to ALS Research, Salvation Army, Vietnam Veterans of America, We Care, Operation Breakthrough, American Cancer Society, and H.O.P.E. Coalition; as well as serving on committees for Girl Scout’s Mid Continent Council, Corporate Woods Jazz Festival, and the American Diabetes Association Golf Tournament, just to name a few. In 2009 DLR Group hosted a golf tournament to raise awareness and funds for the research of ALS. The tournament raised more than $10,000. This was done to honoir a staff member who died. Awesome teamwork.

DLR Group is an employee-owned company so extra effort helps my stock. I like that too. DLR Group offers stock ownership to the entire staff, not just a few leaders, so every employee owns stock. EVERYONE. DLR Group establishes a 401(k) account for every employee, and profits are distributed to employees twice a year through this account.

They offer a payflex program that allows employees to take advantage of pre-tax savings and help manage spending on childcare or medical expenses. In addition, DLR Group offers paid holidays and time off; as well as group dental, medical and disability/life insurance.

When DLR leaders designed our new office building in Overland Park, a large, outdoor patio was a must. We fire up the grills for Friday patio parties, social gatherings and client appreciation events. Situated just off the patio is DLR Group’s very own 86-yard, par 3 golf hole with tee box for friendly employee competition during the workday. Theme Fridays, summer picnics, holiday parties, and chili cook offs are just some of the other fun events we host.

DLR Group’s annual meeting for employees and spouses is a highlight of the end of our fiscal year. We celebrate our past year’s successes and pay tribute to a selection of projects we have completed. DLR Group’s annual awards program includes a Creative Ideas category, which encourages employees to share their ideas that promote anything from an engineering design solution, to a marketing technique, or an example of exemplary teamwork. Awards are presented at the annual meeting. This meeting also allows DLR Group to recognize employees with promotions and years of service in front of their peers.

Turnover rates are well below industry standard and it is not uncommon to find employees who have been with the firm 25 years working side by side with staff who just graduated college.

DLR Group’s mentor program helps all employees grow in a positive manner. Mentors are assigned to all personnel to assist mentees with items such as earning a professional license, understanding DLR Group policies, or advancement within the firm. DLR Group’s employee fund is used to reward co-workers for going above the call of duty with a gift card or certificate to a nearby store, restaurant or theater.

ConsIn order to see rewards, you have to work hard. Sometimes this means extra hours. As such, most staff work around 42-45 hours each week.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile communciation is good, and I like seeing the financials as an employee - owner, I think more time spent explaining what some of the financial jargon means would be helpful.

Long hours, terrible benefits, Lack of knowlege and direction from Principal team

Seattle, WA

Prosteam work, good people - few talents - very hard workers. They company support your professional development. Firm goal are set

ConsLayoff are a day by day, Benefit plans are terrible. Dental and Vision are the worst on the market. Some principals are there doing nothing, just traveling, working few hours and leaving early. Normal hours are 55 hours a week (just for the production team ) if you dont want to get layoff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrugles with Integrated design and LEED, work on it before pretend with clients, clean and evaluate the whole principal team

Great Teamwork, Long Hours, Awful Benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFull of bright and talented people who work hard and help each other get the job done. Supportive of professional development. Firm goal-setting includes all staff in all offices.

ConsBenefits are lacking. Obscure dental insurance plan offers only a few plan providers. PTO (vacation and sick leave) is 10hrs per month regardless of your incoming experience level. Layoffs are commonplace, with 2 wks severance pay across the board regardless of years of service or professional level. Bonuses exist, although appear to be meted out based less on performance and more on retention of technical staff in high demand. Firm seems unconcerned about providing work-life balance: 50-hour work weeks are common.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinuing to dawdle in the doorway of truly integrated design, new technology and media guarantees your competition will continue to stay ahead of you. Consider shaking up the principals by cutting incompetent and irrelevant ones loose to increase employee job satisfaction and performance.

Worked for DLR Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DLR Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DLR Group CEO Griff Davenport. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by DLR Group employees.