DMA Reviews

1. Featured Review

You won't find better.

Current Employee - Associate Technology Consultant in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Associate Technology Consultant in Edina, MN

I have been working at DMA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ESOP - As an employee/owner you will not find a better retirement plan elsewhere. Leadership - Our Directors, VP's, COO, and President (who are also employee/owners) are some of the most motivated-hard working people in our company. NOT the stereotypical C-Level Executives you may find at larger companies who only worry about their Year-End Bonuses. Clients - We have some of the best clients in the industry. Technology - We leverage our great partnerships with the best companies in our industry to serve our clients with outstanding products and services. If you enjoy repetitive, monotonous work, then the Tax Technology group is not for you.

Cons

Work-Life Balance could be a little better, but such is the life of a consultant. More training programs on the industries most common technologies would be greatly appreciated.

Advice to Management

You have done a great job maintaining transparency and sacrificing your own time and compensation for the sake of the other employee/owners, our stock valuation, and most importantly our clients. I don't want to work anywhere / under anyone else. Great Job.

2. So Far, So GREAT!

I have been working at DMA (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been on the job a short time (less than two months) but you get the general feeling that everyone is in. Being an ESOP (employee owned company) helps tremendously. Everyone knows the companies success equals personal success to a large degree. Benefits are very competitive and the programs designed to reward individual successes are very nice. They also seem very understanding to those with family matters that need attending.

Cons

Even thought it's only been a short time, I honestly have found no 'cons' as of yet. Will update in the future if needed.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about the employees and they will treat you in kind!

3. Over worked and underpaid

I have been working at DMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great ESOP Plan Good team work environment There's a good pool of resource to go to for help Laid back culture

Cons

There's no work and personal life balance. Expect to work extremely long hours if your salaried employee. Hard work and dedication are not recognized or rewarded. Upper management only recognize and reward people who are in their "click" or sucks up to them. Salaries are very low in comparison to other companies.

Advice to Management

Reward and recognize your hard-working and productive employees Increase employee salaries to attract qualified prospective employees and retain existing employees

5. Compliance Analyst

I worked at DMA full-time

Pros

It was definitely a good place to learn something different. Once you understand the client you are assigned, it is an easy job to do. For the most part it is a good work-life balance. Great job and resume builder for someone fresh out of college.

Cons

It was like going back to high school with all the "cliques." If you suck up to management, chances are you can screw up and they'll keep you. Downside of learning the job is it can become really mundane and boring. Probably my second day there I knew it was not going to be a place I would be at long term due to the maturity level. Also some upper management feeds off their title and handled some things very unprofessionally, ie yelling at employees on the floor, firing employees and then telling everyone why they were fired and lying about it. Some managers also promotes friends over qualified workers. Basically, can't trust most of management.

Advice to Management

Be as fair as possible and don't lie! Once that happens more people try to leave and good ones at that. The only ones who truly stay are the ones out of college who really don't understand how good they are and how valuable they can be to another company because they've moved up in the ranks there but are still grossly underpaid compares to their competitors. Change the culture of that place or you will lose more and more great employees once they figure out their value.

6. Director

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at DMA

Pros

Great Growth Perspective, Personal Investment, Professionalism, High Standards, Accountability

Cons

Not a lot of Cons. Better have a good Work Ethic!!

Tax Assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at DMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and helpful employees

Cons

Management has no patience. Likes to humiliate you in front of others.

DMA Response

Apr 20, 2015 – Human Resource Consultant

Thank you for taking the time to review DMA. We appreciate your feedback and are always happy to hear how helpful our employees are, as we take pride in our values. To address your concern, DMA ... More

Limited resources, stagnant growth and runs on "family values"

Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I worked at DMA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People usually know the name when they are in State and local tax

Cons

The company has not grown in more than 10 years. They are getting creamed by the competition (Ryan) and the big 4. They run on "family values", which means unless you are a white, straight and male you have no chance to advance there. The company is "employee owned" but don't be fooled, is run by very 2 or 3 people. I was given the top revenue producer award for the company, the best sales person of 16 reps, put on a "Presidential" cruise and 1 month later I was fired. I got along with everyone and was fired because I "didn't fit" with their culture. I am gay.

Advice to Management

Open your mind, your way to grow the firm has failed (admit it) and it's time you welcome diversity. That means gay too.

DMA Response

Apr 21, 2015 – Chief Legal Counsel & VP of Operations

When utilized properly in the spirit in which it is intended, DMA believes that Glassdoor as a productive and useful website for individuals to share objective thoughts and opinions. We routinely ... More

9. 20 plus years working at DMA

I have been working at DMA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

DMA is a company that will reward an employee for creativity and hard work. The environment is structured so there is a lot of teamwork on projects but autonomy on tasks. Where else have you seen the ability of an entry level person have the ability to work their way to the top? DMA has at least two executives that started at an entry level position and were recognized for their work with promotions to the Executive Team.

Cons

employees needs to be able to work in fast paced environment and be self starters. Also need to understand the overall project objectives and not get lost in the details. The job is not for everyone but for those that desire a challenge and want to be rewarded for their work this is the ideal job!

Advice to Management

Doing a tremendous job. Ask about the trending in the employee-stock ownership plan (ESOP). It's truly exciting to see the value that's been created for past and current employees. Just continuing on the pace that the company has been on will result in significant value for "ALL" employees. Most companies pay retirement and ownership "lip service" as value creation is reserved only for upper management or partners/principals, see other professional service companies and the path to partnership. DMA just created the second ESOP round for all employees so now is the time to get in to enjoy the value that will be created. The ESOP plan is great vehicle to incentivize employees at all levels.

Good company, lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant

I have been working at DMA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for. Very flexible. Great training. Rapid companywide growth allows for advancement opportunity. Insightful feedback. Vacation package is nice and starts very soon after the start of employment.

Cons

A lot of isolation between offices, makes communicating issues and getting resolution a lengthy process. Salaries are not competitive, many qualified employees leave for more money elsewhere. Heavy workload during busy season means a lot of overtime hours. Rapid growth and expanded client maintenance responsibilities on senior level producers means much heavier workload for mid-level producers.

Advice to Management

Work on quicker response times to employee inquiries. More office/regional team building efforts would help moral and mitigate "busy season" stress. Seasonal administrative help would be beneficial at the regional offices (maybe an intern!).

11. Best in the Industry

I have been working at DMA full-time

Pros

An employee owned company that thrives on being the best in the industry. There are many opportunities for growth in your career. Management is encouraging and supportive throughout your career. Entrepreneurial spirit is evident in every employee.

Cons

Benefits such as vacation time and perks is at a minimum at the entry level.

RSS Feed </> Embed