DNV Kema Energy & Sustainability

www.kema.com

DNV Kema Energy & Sustainability Reviews

Updated Jun 18, 2014
DNV Kema Energy & Sustainability – Arnhem – “Interns office”

DNV Kema Energy & Sustainability CEO Pier Nabuurs

Pier Nabuurs

Evolving company

Analyst (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsLots of business lines and a lot of opportunities, good benefits, so far flexible work schedule, growing company so good job security

ConsMergers and acquisitions have led to un-uniform culture across business line, work is hectic, old and outdated folks leading at top level, not spending enough to expand into new areas

Advice to Senior ManagementDo less work but bid with higher margin, share the profit evenly with employees

Customers are people facing challenges - focus on them

Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt's a great opportunity to learn a lot about the energy and sustainability industries, to travel widely, and to engage with clients with interesting challenges

ConsInternal politics destroys the experience. There is little to no accountability, and there is no interest in fulfilling the mission of the company. The result is a loss of respect for customers, and a downward spiral in revenues

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on and get to know your customers

Good job out of school

ProsWorking with experienced engineers in wind and solar.

ConsMost employees are underpaid in the Seattle office. With the constant threat of layoffs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slowly eroding benefits are the norm.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsCo-workers are easy to get along with for the most part. Health benefits are good. Finally upgraded our network connection so it doesn't feel like we are connecting on a dial up connection any more. Still a long way to go however, see other comments regarding technology.

ConsIt is hard to get a promotion unless you live outside of the managers office. Personally I accepted a low salary thinking I would have the chance for promotion so 2% raises are unacceptable. The work is very repetitive, monotonous and boring. Some of the team leads let their titles go to their heads. Some parts of the network and some software suites are very antiquated.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the business line has been so profitable wouldn't it make sense to share some of that success with the employees before more of the key ones leave? Does a 2% raise really reflect the success of the business unit? Stop taking away our perks and benefits. Moving bonuses to 401K isn't cool. A little reinvestment to upgrade aging technology wouldn't hurt. The money lost in down time far exceeds the money it would take to upgrade and migrate to a new database platform and new servers.

Good stepping stone

(Former Employee)

ProsHad good coworkers and you will definitely learn a lot here if you are new to the field. Enjoyable work environment, but depends on the office. Good vacation benefits as well.

ConsPay is way below market and you are locked into the position and salary you start at. You definitely have to negotiate up front. Hard work is recognized with more work, but not rewarded, which kills employees' motivation. Education reimbursement benefits are touted, but in reality, it is hard to get anything approved.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is nothing wrong with rewarding, promoting, investing in, and retaining good employees.

Disorganized Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility in work hours, some good people to work with.

ConsManagement is very disorganized and spends too much time with political maneuvering and back-biting. Not enough time and focus given to building a coherent structure and training staff properly. It's very easy to end up pigeon-holed for years. Advancement is often based on personal relationships and not work quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees, and pay people what they are worth.

disorganized and resistant to change

ProsSome are well meaning, talented and hard workers. There is a sense that people care about the issues of energy and sustainability. The office environment is comfortable

ConsThere is no employee support for career development or growth (though a lot of discussion about how we should be thought leaders). There arent even designated IT or HR services in some offices.
    But there is little to no ability in strategic or conceptual planning instead everything is done off the cuff and often late

Good place to work, but need more focus on client.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGood, enthusiastic young and mid-level professionals.
    This could be a great company. A place where people are proud to work at. But they aren't there yet.

ConsSenior staff are very self-centered. Need to be more client and company focused.
    Quality and contents of deliverables needs to be more consistent.
    All senior staff need to always think about mentoring and sharing. Teaching newer staff is the fundamental food that nourishes the roots of a company -- gives it "energy" if you will. This is what makes a company strong and ready to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetrain your senior staff. And you need to think about bringing in more new senior-level staff with fresh ideas and positive attitudes. Even at your consulting class, you teach professionals to approach a client meeting with the attitude of "what can I get out of this". This sort of attitude will eventually inhibit growth.

Great people, Really bad upper management

Pros1. Great people
    2. Opportunities to learn and grow if you are motivated
    3. Company will pay for certifications, training, etc

Cons1. Really bad upper management, who says that they will listen to your concerns but really does not care.
    2. Tools and training are non-existent
    3. The salary you come in at will be where you will stay so make sure you negotiate! Yearly increases are usually topped out at 2.5%.
    4. Very long hours with little thank yous. If you are salary you are expected to work 50 plus hours. However, it will more than likely be more than this.
    5. If you have a family be warned. This company will never say, "family first".

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to your employees and your clients. Focus on retaining people by giving them simple things like time with family and friends, thank yous and the tools and training to do their jobs.

What's the direction?

Principal Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThis organization plays in almost all areas of the energy spectrum and has some outstanding services with regards to evaluating sustainability programs and conducting studies in transmission and distribution.

ConsComplete lack of focus on the direction and management of the organization. They think they can do absolutely anything and will bend the truth about personnel experience to get a job. Very siloed organization. Thinks like an engineering firm first and a business second. Europeans take care of their own and are not quick to help other parts of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your strengths and figure out how to manage. Be proactive in business development instead of reactive to open tenders. Slim down your management structure because you have always had too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Worked for DNV Kema Energy & Sustainability? Contribute to the Community!