DPR Construction

DPR Construction Co-Founder Doug Woods

Doug Woods

Great company

Labor (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEveryone that works for DPR is very passionate about the work that they do.

ConsSome projects can be overly demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp employees complete their jobs safely, always.

Great place - cool people

Internal Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWine bars
    Company culture
    Smart people
    Cool projects
    Relaxed dress code

ConsLower end of pay scale
    Slow advancement
    "California style" management
    Leadership often seems wushy-washy and non-committal

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep people that matter - work with the people who are in the trenches every day. Spend "Starbucks time" with the new employees and listen to what they have to say. California isn't always right.

A very busy/learning experience

Safety Coordinator, Laborer Foreman, Site Supervisor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSolid people calling the shots for the most part. Opportunity to advance/grow and move up in the company.

ConsCommunication from the office to the field was lost a lot. Needed more accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen letting go long term employees let them some how be part of the process, if possible find out where they stand with their union as far as retirement goes. I'm close to losing everything because I didn't plan well and found out after I was let go I was a 1000 hrs away from an early retirement. Never the less a yearly job review would help to know where you stand and what direction you are going with the company. MENTORING!! It was a great 16 year run with more good memories than bad......thanks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

ProsGreat PTO, benefits, and company values!

ConsAs the company grows it seem like you can get lost in a sea of people

Awesome

MEP Coordinator (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat builder , u hAve the opportunity to be ur best

ConsLacks some structure on large projects

Great place to work with decent pay

Carpenter/Foreman/Safety (Former Employee) North Atlanta, GA

ProsRoom to advance as long as you knew the right people. Not so much what you know, but who. Fantastic environment.

ConsUnless salaried such as a superintendent or PM, the company will not pay any per diem.They wanted me to relocate out of state without any assistance, hence the reason I'm not longer with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take for granted the people that kill there self for you, also keep you a closer eye on superintendent p cards.... you would be stunned at some of the write offs.

Project Engineer

ProsGood company, fun place to work and always something new thrown at you to learn. Lots of experience

ConsLong hours and demanding schedule

Advice to Senior Managementmore money

Great place to work

ProsCore values, culture, people and building great things

ConsCareer growth depends a lot on timing rather than what you can actually do

Great

ProsFreedom, Opportunity to Innovate & try new things. You have a voice & are free to speak up.

ConsSometimes, more structure could help. Every time we start a new project I feel like we reinvent the wheel.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to cut the fat.

Okay company if you're in the right clich.

Estimator (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFree lunches, monthly parties, beer in the cooler, free car and gas, compensation okay.

ConsTotal lack of direction from anyone. The project managers are kids who don't know what they're doing. Supervision is non-existent. The amostphere was 'party time' more than getting work done. The office manager and half the estimating staff were fired (this was in 2001).

Advice to Senior ManagementBesides the party atmosphere the individuals need to be recognized and more direction on what is expected. Don't rely on young people so much. Energy - yes. Brains and values - no.

Worked for DPR Construction? Contribute to the Community!