DRS Technologies

Be The First To
Add Photos

DRS Technologies CEO William J. Lynn III

William J. Lynn III

Pros:
  • "9/80 work schedule - Every other Friday off (assuming work schedule allowed)"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Great health benefits - Yes, these are good benefits"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor ethics starting with upper management down"
    in 9 reviews
  • "A lack of effective business development has resulted in significant reductions in the workforce over the last four years"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Tactical Systems was a great company. When we merged with RSTA it became a terrible place to work.

I have been working at DRS Technologies full-time

ProsCompensation and benefits are good

ConsLeadership is terrible. It is now worse. Leadership at corporate level is terrible as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTerry Murphy will be the demise of the company. He was personally responsible for the disaster with TWS. No one at corporate seems to care because he covers it.

WAS a great place to work.

Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee)
Melbourne, FL

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat compensation, good health benefits, and a 9/80 schedule. Lots of teamwork and pleasant working conditions.

ConsPoor management decisions, did not look to the future, kept "all their eggs in one government/military basket". Poor ethics starting with upper management down. Low morale waiting for next ax to fall.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the "cons" (see above)

average

I worked at DRS Technologies

Prosworking with my fellow employees

Consthe problems with some of the ethics

Unti management completes their reorganization and determines its direction, be wary of accepting a position here.

I have been working at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros9/80's, nice people who work together as a team through trying times.

ConsIn the near 5 years I have been at this company, they have reorganized more times than I can count. There is no stability and layoffs are common. No opportunity for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction and stay on course.

Interesting work, good people, part catalog sales, part job shop

Applications Engineer (Former Employee)
Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsInteresting technology and good working environment. Local (Gaithersburg) management is motivated and competent. Good compensation and benefits. They support continuing education, too.

ConsSales depend on federal funding of government contracts so slumps and periodic layoffs are inevitable. Upper management is trying to restructure the organization to be profitable but may not understand the mix of businesses involved so it's been chaotic the last couple years. The business unit I worked for didn't value technical marketing or the importance of managing people and didn't seem to know how to do business development.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Good luck.

A company on a brink - Which way will they go?

I worked at DRS Technologies

ProsThe company has some strong talent in: engineering, program management and operations.
Benefits are reasonable (health, disability, life, 401K, vacation, etc).

ConsIt appears senior management is in survival mode, making decisions on how to cut costs without a real plan in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementC-level corporate executives – You need to leverage the people on your team that can: innovate, grow the business and lead it towards a promising future. Stop being shallow and continuing to reward leaders that simply do a good job in marketing themselves. Wake up before it is too late.

Very decent company to work for.

Program Finance Analyst (Current Employee)
Melbourne, FL

I have been working at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsContracts, community, sharing, learning, travel and communication. Teaching environment

ConsOne sided, narrow minded views

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those who work closest with the contracts and people

Good Company going through LOTS of change

I have been working at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros9/80 work schedule - Every other Friday off (assuming work schedule allowed)

ConsCommunication between Management and Employees

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great crew, great President, great client, mid to upper management needs work.

Elizabeth City, NC

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDRS C3A is full of a bunch of great workers. Sure, there are bad apples in every bunch, but the overall majority are great.

Lately, things have been tough for this location. The majority of the staff has been furloughed but making the best of it. The President has been and is the rock of this location. He continues to do all he can to protect his people and ensure their timely return to work, all while continuing to accomplish the client's needed goals and operational readiness. There are also a few members of his staff that are still working and doing all they can to make this tough time a bit easier. The crew members that are still working are doing what they can as well to help their furloughed brothers and sisters.

-This location has a great sense of brotherhood and for the most part works well together.

-Again, the President is a HUGE plus and has an outstanding level of integrity.

-[Immediate and current] HR staff is outstanding for the amount of work they have to deal with.

-The standards of the crew members are second to none. Very meticulous.

-Some room for advancement.

Cons-Although there is SOME room for advancement there's a salary cap for each position.

-Topside and administrative positions get more of a salary than the worker bees for the most part.

-There are a few bad apples in the supervisory and upper management positions. Over my years at this company there has been a few in upper management that has the potential to drive this company's success downward. Over time there have been MANY program efficiency proposals made by VERY experienced and credible people and even after approval, the implementation and running processes are gutted thus completely negating any improvements.

-When employees take it upon themselves to raise money to help less fortunate employees it is frowned upon, but only by a very select few though.

-Job card times have ridiculous time allotments that jobs are supposed to be properly completed in. There needs to be more consultation with the mechanics rather than seemingly throwing in times that look appealing to the client.

-A few bad apples in very key positions.

-Outlook for this location not that good if changes aren't vetted and dealt with.

-A lot of bureaucratic red tape to deal with even with the simplest of repairs.

-Favoritism shown to the paper shufflers on the floor.

-No accountability when mid to upper management makes huge, costly errors.

Advice to Senior Management-Don't overlook the obvious. Deal with the upper management bottlenecking and vet the bad apples.

-When a new program proposal is approved stop hindering its implementation.

-Stop the micro-managing by those not on the floor day to day.

-Instead of hindering workers trying to raise money for those less fortunate workers, help them to find a way to do so. If implementation is in any way against any rules then aid them in finding an alternative way to take care of your people.

-Review the work order management program (30-character limit on discrepancy description).

-If it takes 6+ months over the allotted time to move a product out the door, there needs to be inquiries into why and those responsible held accountable.

-There needs to be better pay and more room for employees to negotiate pay.

-The red tape needs to be more streamlined in order to allow for the job to get done in a more timely and efficient manner. The current system ties the hands of the people on the floor for even the simplest of jobs.

-Always remember who the movers and shakers truly are.

Defense contractor looking out for our country's safety

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe support for our military and veterans by DRS and it's employees is second to none.

ConsBusiness is subject to the whims of our government and it's lack of support for the defense sector.

Worked for DRS Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DRS Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DRS Technologies CEO William J. Lynn III. All 164 reviews posted anonymously by DRS Technologies employees.