DRS Technologies Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014

DRS Technologies CEO William J. Lynn III
William J. Lynn III

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule - Every other Friday off (assuming work schedule allowed) (in 18 reviews)

• Good Benefits and great co-workers depending on you're site/location (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not much thought or concern for employees by upper management (in 10 reviews)

• The company need strong business development skills (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Aircraft Sheetmetal Mechanic in Elizabeth City, NC
    Current Employee - Aircraft Sheetmetal Mechanic in Elizabeth City, NC

I have been working at DRS Technologies

Pros

Excellent pay, Medical and dental benefits are better than most anywhere else, 401k matching, 12 paid holidays annually and paid vacations, weekly meetings with upper management to discuss anything that may be going on, so communication is great between higher ups and lower level employees. Good chance of advancement for those who want to move up.

Cons

Not many opportunities for overtime, so if you rely on it, you won't get it here. Upper management runs a "tight ship" so to speak, and policies are strictly enforced. If you have a hard time following strict guidelines and procedures, this is definitely not the place for you. Employees who can't adjust seem to disappear rather quickly. But, I suppose that is part of the reason the company is so successful.

Spend more time with individual work centers to better organize what works and what doesn't.

Great place to work. The people are fantastic.

I have been working at DRS Technologies full-time

Pros

The talent of all the different types of professionals working there. All of the people management and co-workers are easy to get along and work with. Definitely a great place to work.

Cons

Not many as it's a great place to work.

Room to grow as an employee

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Melbourne, FL

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and the 9/80 work shift that allowed employees every other Friday off. Also the tuition reimbursement included books.

Cons

Mandatory overtime is to be expected, especially at the end of the month when there is the big push to make the production numbers.

Better training with using Oracle. I don't know if all the bugs are worked out but when I worked there, the system was new and could never truly be counted on especially the training matrix.

Poor judgement

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I left my prior employer based on the pay I was going to receive in coming here. The pay is above industry average. Having every other Friday off is a plus.

Cons

This company is behind the times when it comes to modern manufacturing. Does not look like it wants to change. I find myself constantly bored because there is not work to do.

Embrace modern technology. It will help you progress.

Strong technology expertise, mediocre top management

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

World class knowledge in SIGINT tuners and receivers.

Cons

Not strong believe in Systems Engineering Methodology. Loose Program Management approach.

Become transparent in all Project cost and schedule details.

DRS Oakland, NJ Review

Former Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Oakland, NJ
    Former Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Oakland, NJ

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work on your own. Lots of attention, can be good or bad.

Cons

Lack of program day to day visibility at the lower engineering levels.

Include lower level engineering in the communication loop.

great place to work and learn

I worked at DRS Technologies

Pros

nice people and nice work. lots of great training and support. lots of great engineering tasks. coffee is only $.25 at the Keurig machines.

Cons

no cafeteria to buy lunch. no elevator to reach the second floor. no exercise room to maintain health. need to work many hours.

nice

Great company. Professional experienced staff.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

I worked at DRS Technologies part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule allowed. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Budget problems did not allow for a lot of new projects.

Manufacturing Technician

I have been working at DRS Technologies

Pros

Very good pay and benefits.

Cons

Management lost, no vision or plan.

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits (while it lasted), solid management at site level (until they were let go), great people in engineering and manufacturing (until they were let go)....

Cons

This is a company that has had its run and is just about played out. It is in the "death spiral" after once being a great place to work. It is just waiting to be sold either as a whole or in parts at fire sale prices. No reinvestment back into research and development of innovative new products at any meaningful level means that the competition eats our lunch when it comes time to compete with new products. Individual sites get sucked dry of any money they make because they have to pay "allocations" to entire levels of management above them that are redundant at best, and non-contributing at the worst. This means too much overhead and so the company can not be competitive price-wise against smaller, nimbler competitors. This company continues to attempt to layoff their way to profitability and the only people that get axed en masse are the people at the site locations....in other words, the people that actually pursue and capture new business, design new products, do the manufacturing etc.

If management was doing anything more than looking out for their own bonuses and perks and showed any interest in running this company successfully, I would suggest that they get rid of the non-contributing layers of management that suck away valuable resources from the locations where the actual business occurs. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face by continuing to layoff at the tip of the spear, thereby degrading your earning potential, brainpower and human capital. That being said, management doesn't seem to get it or worse, they do get it and they realize the end is near and so they are going to ride it our for as long as they can, grab as much cash as they can on the way out the door and continue to do so on the backs of the people below them by continuing to lay off and shut down sites.