DRS Technologies Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
3.2

DRS Technologies CEO William J. Lynn III
William J. Lynn III

Pros
  • Good Benefits and great co-workers depending on you're site/location (in 16 reviews)

• There are some great people at the local site level (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not much thought or concern for employees by upper management (in 10 reviews)

• senior management is terrible, gets in the way of engineering and technical issues (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company. Professional experienced staff.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

I worked at DRS Technologies part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule allowed. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Budget problems did not allow for a lot of new projects.

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits (while it lasted), solid management at site level (until they were let go), great people in engineering and manufacturing (until they were let go)....

Cons

This is a company that has had its run and is just about played out. It is in the "death spiral" after once being a great place to work. It is just waiting to be sold either as a whole or in parts at fire sale prices. No reinvestment back into research and development of innovative new products at any meaningful level means that the competition eats our lunch when it comes time to compete with new products. Individual sites get sucked dry of any money they make because they have to pay "allocations" to entire levels of management above them that are redundant at best, and non-contributing at the worst. This means too much overhead and so the company can not be competitive price-wise against smaller, nimbler competitors. This company continues to attempt to layoff their way to profitability and the only people that get axed en masse are the people at the site locations....in other words, the people that actually pursue and capture new business, design new products, do the manufacturing etc.

If management was doing anything more than looking out for their own bonuses and perks and showed any interest in running this company successfully, I would suggest that they get rid of the non-contributing layers of management that suck away valuable resources from the locations where the actual business occurs. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face by continuing to layoff at the tip of the spear, thereby degrading your earning potential, brainpower and human capital. That being said, management doesn't seem to get it or worse, they do get it and they realize the end is near and so they are going to ride it our for as long as they can, grab as much cash as they can on the way out the door and continue to do so on the backs of the people below them by continuing to lay off and shut down sites.

lead multi discipline engineering work force for the company.

Former Employee - Vice President of Engineering  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Vice President of Engineering in Huntsville, AL

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is a diverse product portfolio

Cons

company is reluctant to accept change

embrace customer vision more.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company doesn't leverage the talents of it's employees.

Current Employee - Senior Instructor  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Instructor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work, in itself, can be very interesting.

Cons

Management isn't amenable to suggestion to new business opportunities.

Listen to the employees that deal directly with the soldier, sailor, airman or marine.

I loved working at DRS. The people were wonderful.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My team was great. Everyone worked hard and had outstanding work ethic. Leaders led by example. I loved all of the people I worked with.

Cons

No comp-time was offered for salaried employees. Huge dichotomy in pay between men and women (although my boss claimed it was 1000 times better there than at other defense contractors). Poor work-life balance. Expectation that the office comes first.

Selling Businesses, More Layoffs, Where's the Future?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at DRS Technologies full-time

Pros

Benefits are good.
    Dedicated co workers trying to do their best

Cons

They announced plan to sell businesses, now they say it's not for sure What you can count on is more layoffs -- people are worried about the future. Everything is blamed on the defense budget with no plans for getting new contracts. Leadership changes and reorganizations all the time - just announced one this week. But nothing positive.

Stop the endless cycle of layoffs and develop a plan to grow the business. This company needs new leadership immediately and a future. So sad to see what has happened to what was once a proud company with a great team of people.

I am very pleased with my experiences at DRS. I grew a lot with this company.

Current Employee - Associate Program Manager  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Program Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love there 9/80 schedule. I get every other Friday off.

Cons

Lack of following policies and/or procedures.

Worst place I've ever worked at.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I have been working at DRS Technologies full-time

Pros

Benefits are on par with most DoD contracting firms. No complaints.

Cons

Management is too top heavy and incompetent. Due to the company hemorrhaging money, many sites have downsized with drastic layoffs. Everyone is very on edge about the future, with in turn, creates a hostile work environment and co-workers who watch your every move to complain to management. They have way too many managers who somehow get to travel every week to a new site to "manage" 1-2 employees there, all while spending what should be valuable company money on airline tickets, meals, hotels, rental cars, etc. when all there needs to be is one dept. manager at a site.. due to the low number of employees.

Treat your people right, and don't threaten constantly with layoffs. Horrible company.

Customer caring and execute challenging projects.

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Dayton, OH

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company provide opportunity to work on challenging projects.

Cons

The company need strong business development skills. Due to lack of projects unable to retain intelligent and hard working team.

Research and Open avenues to source internal research and development rather than solely depend on projects to source for product development. Need long term planning.

Good place to work as long as you have work to do.

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at DRS Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were some good folks at this place. Everyone around was extremely helpful and friendly. Benefits weren't too shabby. Projects varied from quick and short to long and consistent and were usually entertaining and challenging.

Cons

No real career path. Have personally witnessed 3 Reduction In Force movements. All were just small enough so they didn't have to announce it ahead of time. I didn't always have a project to work on and couldn't do anything else in this time.

Train people as they come in. Allow them to grow themselves during lack of a project.

Worked for DRS Technologies? Contribute to the Community!